Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Alright, this is a tricky one. I have not personally smelled this, so that makes this trickier- but I was wondering if there is anything that is reminiscent of the original (not the reformulated) "Narcisse Noir" by Caron? The one who's formula was developed around 1910 and stayed that way until I think around the 70s or 80s? I would not know.

It was my mother's childhood scent, and some of Beth's works seem to be hitting a bit of that dark note that she really really misses. The notes are usually officially Narcissus, orange flower, sandalwood, jasmine, orange, musk, vertiver and rose. The way people talk about it though, they speak of the narcissus and big dark florals, the sandalwood and incense as being heavy and the feral civet/musk. Mom and her sisters speak about it fondly and talk about it's "Piano Bench" smell (due to the family keeping dark Indian incense in the fragrant wooden piano bench while they were growing up). She's not big into jasmine or orange flower so it would be something with those not in the foreground. I'd be curious what scents, hopefully GC might have some resemblance to the original Narcisse Noir. I just wish I was able to smell the original so I could help.

Narcisse Noir sounds like Hunger. You'd want it aged to get the smoky incense effect.

Edited by rawgirl75

Alright, this is a tricky one. I have not personally smelled this, so that makes this trickier- but I was wondering if there is anything that is reminiscent of the original (not the reformulated) "Narcisse Noir" by Caron? The one who's formula was developed around 1910 and stayed that way until I think around the 70s or 80s? I would not know.

It was my mother's childhood scent, and some of Beth's works seem to be hitting a bit of that dark note that she really really misses. The notes are usually officially Narcissus, orange flower, sandalwood, jasmine, orange, musk, vertiver and rose. The way people talk about it though, they speak of the narcissus and big dark florals, the sandalwood and incense as being heavy and the feral civet/musk. Mom and her sisters speak about it fondly and talk about it's "Piano Bench" smell (due to the family keeping dark Indian incense in the fragrant wooden piano bench while they were growing up). She's not big into jasmine or orange flower so it would be something with those not in the foreground. I'd be curious what scents, hopefully GC might have some resemblance to the original Narcisse Noir. I just wish I was able to smell the original so I could help.

Narcisse Noir sounds like Hunger. You'd want it aged to get the smoky incense effect.

Thank-you! I'll be keeping an eye out for that then- hum!

If anyone else has any ideas too, I'd be happy to hear them!

Posting in case anyone ever happens to be looking:

I tried a sample of Dior Homme Intense today and although the online reviews tend to emphasize the "lipsticky" iris opening, on me this is really an ambrette bomb. It reminds me of the ambrette in the recent Luper Seated Couple Leaning on Hips. This is the only ambrette scent I've tried from the lab, but here are some others that are currently available and might be similar to DHI:

Aperotos Eros: benzoin, Indian musk, massoia bark, myrrh, ambrette seed, galbanum, bergamot, and fir.

Bilquis: Honey, myrrh, lily of the valley, rose otto, fig leaf, almond, ambrette, red apple, and warm musk.

Hal: Saffron-infused bourbon vanilla, blackened honey, Kashmir wood, Atlas cedar, ambrette seed, hay, and Egyptian jasmine absolute.

Hunger was my first thought too!

Hunger was my first thought too!

Extra feedback is good! Even more promising. As I have never smelled the original formula, I won't know for sure, but I'll share if I can find an aged one, and if it ends up at all similar. Hopefully it will do the trick...

Does anybody have suggestions for Black XS for Her by Paco Rabanne?

It's the scent my husband likes best on me. He literally can't get enough of me when I wear it. Unfortunately i don't like the drydown because it's almost nothing but patchouli on me which makes me nauseous.

Fragrantica describes it as follows:

This modern floral-fruity composition starts sharp and spicy with cranberry, pink peppercorn and tamarind notes around the heart of hellebore noir rose, black violet and cocoa blossom. The base notes are patchouli, Massoia wood and vanilla.

I smell mostly berries, woods and spices with a bit of rose and vanilla in the background. No violets or cocoa. I find it to be a very sensual scent, just a little bit dark and really sexy. Unfortunately after a few hours the patchouli takes over and ruins it for me.

So I hope to find a BPAL scent that comes close without patchouli, preferably GC. Thanks!

I wanted to see if any of you are aware of a BPAL scent that smells anything like Cashmere Glow from BBW. Here's the description:

Top notes: Bergamot, Peach, Guava, Berries, Apricot

Mid notes: Muguet, Mimosa, Peony, Jasmine

dry notes: vanilla, dulce de leche, sandalwood, musk

I'm also forever in search of the perfect "coconutty" fragrance, and would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Edited by Liz617113

I wanted to see if any of you are aware of a BPAL scent that smells anything like Cashmere Glow from BBW. Here's the description:

Top notes: Bergamot, Peach, Guava, Berries, Apricot

Mid notes: Muguet, Mimosa, Peony, Jasmine

dry notes: vanilla, dulce de leche, sandalwood, musk

I'm also forever in search of the perfect "coconutty" fragrance, and would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Here are two threads that might help you.

BBW recs here: http://www.bpal.org/topic/12597-i-want-a-bpal-that-smells-like-bath-body-works/

And lots of coconut recs here: http://www.bpal.org/topic/21414-whats-the-best-coconut-blend/

Personally, my favorite coconut scent is Goblin. But you will see that there are a lot of great scents, depending on the "flavor" of coconut you are seeking.

Hi guys! I'm totally new to BPAL and am just making my first order up now. I'm currently making the switch to cruelty free cosmetics, so I'm hoping to find some dupes of my favourite perfumes. In general, I seem to like fruity florals like:

Marc Jacobs eau de Fresh - wild rose, violet, apple blossom, raspberry, grapefruit, pear, plum, cedarwood, musk.

Hugo Boss Nuit - white flowers, wild rose, violet, aldehyde, peach, moss, sandalwood.

Hugo Boss Hugo Woman - jasmine, black tea, boysenberry, amber.

Can anyone recommend anything that smells similar to any of these? Or just any nice fruity florals in general?

Thank you! :)

Hello,

I'm planning on placing a large order pretty soon, and don't want to checkout until I've asked, anyone know something similar to the discontinued Moschino's L'eau Cheap and Chic? It's my all time favorite, it smells like a bath to me.

top notes:

lily, rose, freesia and grapes.

The heart:

annis and sweet, fresh orange.

The base:

heliotrope, amber and vetiver

It should be noted that on Fragrantica the note oder is perceived differently - see link

thanks so much!

Titania (A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon) is the closest thing I can think of. I haven't tried either Titania or L'eau Cheap and Chic, though.

Hugo Boss Nuit - white flowers, wild rose, violet, aldehyde, peach, moss, sandalwood.

Perhaps:

Tamora?

Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean.

or Belle Vinu (currently out of stock)?

Red sandalwood, vanilla, rosewood, osmanthus, and white peach

Titania (A nocturnal bounty of fae dew-kissed petals and pale fruits: white grape, white peach, iced pear, musk rose, sweet pea, moonflower and snapdragon) is the closest thing I can think of. I haven't tried either Titania or L'eau Cheap and Chic, though.

oh! thank you! I placed my order but will definitely include an imp in my next one. I ordered a few lily scents to try for something similar.

Sigh...

Vanilla Fields

I see this has been asked on here before, but never really answered (except for Celeste from the Post, which is described as a more grown up version. Oh, and Antique Lace, which is to laugh). My gentleman friend has requested that I wear it for him, and although I was a teenager in the 90s, I don't remember that one specifically. I'm sure I could just go down to Walgreens and pick up a bottle for five bucks, but there has got to be a better option. Also, I've seen some chatter on line about how they've reformulated it, so I don't even know how much it would smell like what he remembers. Worse comes to worst I guess I can pick up a vintage bottle somewhere, but I have a little time so it's worth asking.

Wow. Vanilla Fields.

That actually brings up such a strong scent memory. The vanilla in that was almost like vanilla extract. I don't find Antique Lace to be much like it at all. I haven't tried the stuff that's out now but my baby self from the 90s doesn't really think that bpal has an equivalent. Bpal vanilla tends to go powdery on me. Because the oils react to different skin in different ways, I don't think it would be replicatable.

Snake Charner hair gloss gives me the same sort of feeling that Vanilla Fields does, but is waaaay more coconut.

And Snake Charmer Res doesn't give me the same feeling at all. So I don't know. :(

So I looked up the 1993 notes.

Vanilla Fields by Coty is a Oriental Vanilla fragrance for women. Vanilla Fields was launched in 1993. Top notes are bergamot, coconut and peach; middle notes are jasmine, geranium and lily-of-the-valley; base notes are amber, virginia cedar, patchouli, sandalwood, musk, tonka bean and vanilla.

I can't wear essential oil flower smells but I do like flower scents in bath and body works stuff (cashmire, twilight woods, etc). I also can't wear cedar, patch or sandalwood from bpal without feeling like my nose will bleed.

But that bergamot, coconut, vanilla blend does remind me of SC actually.

Edited by Yojenitan

Well, maybe I can wear Vanilla Fields as a perfume and then SC as a hair gloss. That's probably my best option anyway. I'm really not looking forward to anything involving jasmine or geranium, so hopefully the synthetics in a drugstore perfume will lay flat and just let the other notes take over.

Awe! Just want to say I loved Vanilla Fields! It was the first perfume I had as a teen!! I loved the strong sweet vanilla in it!! Any BPAL dupes would be awesome! ;)

Perhaps:

Tamora?

Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean.

or Belle Vinu (currently out of stock)?

Red sandalwood, vanilla, rosewood, osmanthus, and white peach

Thank you! I'll give these a go :)

YES! Just the thread I need!

I'm looking for a dupe for Whisper by The Makeup Store.

I don't know the exact notes, as they aren't listed anywhere, but it's best described as a mix between Dior Addict (Night Queen Flower, Bulgarian rose and orange flower, the base is created with Bourbon vanilla, sandal wood and Tonka bean) and L'Occitane's Patchouli (amber, cinnamon, vanilla, myrrh, neroli and patchouli.)

Anyone have any ideas?

YES! Just the thread I need!

I'm looking for a dupe for Whisper by The Makeup Store.

I don't know the exact notes, as they aren't listed anywhere, but it's best described as a mix between Dior Addict (Night Queen Flower, Bulgarian rose and orange flower, the base is created with Bourbon vanilla, sandal wood and Tonka bean) and L'Occitane's Patchouli (amber, cinnamon, vanilla, myrrh, neroli and patchouli.)

Anyone have any ideas?

Sorry about the lateness of this reply, LexieBlom.

The first blends I thought of for L'Occitane's Patchouli were Umbra (East African black patchouli, cedarwood, vetiver and a dribble of cinnamon) and Defututa, for the smoky vanilla-cinnamon that might layer nicely with patchouli.

I will have to do some more testing and searching to find something that might be in the same family as Whisper.

I myself am a sucker for Ralph Lauren's Romance.

(rose blend, citrus, water lily, lily, white violet, carnation, ginger, patchouli, oakmoss and white musk)

Does anyone know of a similar BPAL?

I also love Burberry Brit for its citrus kick and Lagerfeld's freesia-heavy Sun Moon Stars, if anybody has recommendations for those.

Edited by crimescenecleanup

I like to make perfume an element of my Halloween costume, which BPAL happens to be perfect for. This year, I'm thinking of going as Agent Peggy Carter, and we actually know what her perfume smells like! Bésame Cosmetics Decades of Fragrance: 1940 is described thus:

After prohibition, NYC jazz club, 1940s Aromatic, Floral, Ambery

Top notes: bergamot, cognac, davana

Heart notes: rose, clove, labdanum

Base notes: sandal wood, amber, benzoin

Can anyone help me out?

Edited by Lunasariel

I read through all the reviews on this, and I don't think it will be close as they say it is fruity and sweet. I think what sets this perfume apart is the unusual base of heliotrope, vetiver & ambergris... which I tried googling to find in one perfume but was unsuccessful. *sigh* one of these days I'm going to need to buy an old bottle before the prices get even more ridiculous! I tried a lot of BPAL with lily and none of them smelled remotely like it.

Anyone know a dupe for Guerlain's Elixir Charnel Oriental Brulant?

It was sadly limited edition and I've used far too much of my bottle for my liking. It reminds me of a really dirty, spicy, sexy vanilla ice cream that's sweet, but not too sweet, and very grown up, if that helps at all?

Edited by daladoir

Anyone know a dupe for Guerlain's Elixir Charnel Oriental Brulant?

It was sadly limited edition and I've used far too much of my bottle for my liking. It reminds me of a really dirty, spicy, sexy vanilla ice cream that's sweet, but not too sweet, and very grown up, if that helps at all?

Having not smelled it before, I did a quick look up, and Google says the main notes are Vanilla/Tonka/Styrax, Almond and Tangerine. That may help you to search on the website for something with similar notes. I took a quick look through my spread sheet and didn't come up with anything exact, but then it's hard to say without having smelled it.

This is what I came up with:

Tombeur (from the VILF collection) Deadly and seductive: vanilla-infused sandalwood, blood musk, antique patchouli, vetiver, lavender, bitter almond, amber, and a trickle of Snake Oil. It is the sexiest Vanilla blend I have ever sniffed. For sure fits the "dirty, spicy, sweet but not too sweet vanilla" vibe.

Ava (from Only Lovers Left Alive) Sheer vanilla musk with tuberose, red mandarin, and the sweet poison of white almond This is discontinued now though and will likely be hard to find, but I have seen the odd bottle floating around in the forum sales. I have never tried it, but reading through reviews might give you an idea of whether it's what you're looking for.

That was really all I could come up with, without having smelled it. If you don't have a spreadsheet yet, you may want to download a blank one here courtesy of the lovely izile. I find it's the most helpful thing, not only for keeping track of what you've tried, but also for looking up notes in scents.