Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I looked up the notes for Light Blue, and they're listed as citron, apple, bluebell, jasmine, bamboo, white rose, cedar, amber, and musk.

So here's some options that share notes, and which are generally bright and sparkling like it seems to be described (names are links to their review threads):

Whitechapel: White musk, lime, lilac and citron.

Phantasm: Green tea, lemon verbena, jasmine and neroli.

Aelopile: Glowing amber and citrus, labdanum, verbena, cedar, and oud.

Xiuhtecuhtli: Copal, plumeria and sweet orange and the smoke of South American incense and crushed jungle blooms.

Edited by Andyl

Hello,

Is there something that resembles Cool Water? I'm thinking of trying Sea of Glass, but am looking for other suggestions as well.

Thank you,

Isper

If anybody is watching Marvel's Agent Carter, Hayley Atwell has gone on record saying that her character wears a perfume very like Bésame's Decades of Fragrance: 1940, which is described thus:

After prohibition, NYC jazz club, 1940s Aromatic, Floral, Ambery

Top notes: bergamot, cognac, davana

Heart notes: rose, clove, labdanum

Base notes: sandal wood, amber, benzoin

I would love to smell like Peggy Carter! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Lunasariel

I would so appreciate a recommendation for something similar to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. I love the scent and would wear it every day if it wasn't so incredibly expensive. The vanilla is wonderfully sweet as a base note, but it's also balanced by a smokiness from the tobacco leaf and spice notes. I have been wearing Morocco for a while, but it doesn't have the smoky depth of Tobacco Vanille. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"Tobacco Vanille Eau de Parfum is a modern take on an old-world men’s club. A smooth oriental, Tobacco Vanille opens immediately with opulent essences of tobacco leaf and aromatic spice notes. The heart unfolds with creamy tonka bean, tobacco flower, vanilla and cocoa and finishes with dry fruit accord enriched with sweet wood sap.

Notes: ginger, tobacco leaves, anise, coriander, tobacco flower, clove, spices, fruit wood sap, benzoin, vanilla, tonka bean."

Give Tombstone a whirl, it's a beautiful smoky vanilla.

Does anyone have suggestions for Womanity or Bonbon?

Womanity is a sweet savoury mix, with the only notes I have been aboe to find being fig and caviar. On me it's a light, slightly crisp, but not tart, a little sweet, but not overly so and a little wood. Anyway, I found it's been discontinued 6 months ago, and I have always dithered about buying a bottle. So I figure Beth could probably do it better anyway, so anyone any ideas?

Bonbon has the following description

The key note is caramel, surrounded by aromas of mandarin, orange and peach at the top; flowers of orange blossom and jasmine in the heart; and cedar, guaiac wood, sandalwood and amber in the base.

I think on me a smell a little vanilla in it and I don't think I get much if any peach, but the orange, woody caramel is there in spades and is backed by the jasmine, but it's soft jasmine, not a bold one.

Edited by faylie

In case anyone is looking for a good dupe for Calvin Klein Obsession, you might try A Bright Flame Between Two Jacinths. On me, it's like a softer version of Obsession once it dries and the green-ish note (galbanum, I guess) fades.

Edited by boomtownrat

My co-worker who is a nerd and who I nerd out about BPAL to, even though he could not care in the slightest, just confessed to me that he likes Donald Trump's cologne. I immediately found the notes:

The fresh mix of basil, citrus, cucumber, green notes and vetiver give this scent an airy coolness that is never overpowering. The smooth aroma of wood adds masculinity, and a touch of mint gives this cologne a crisp and energetic feel.

And promised him I'd find a BPAL corollary. Ten seconds of searching has not come up with anything yet. I'm obviously going to keep trying, but if this looks familiar to anyone, let me know! I'm not much for the fresh or minty scents, so even if I started to read a note list like this, my eyes would glaze over before I got to the end.

My co-worker who is a nerd and who I nerd out about BPAL to, even though he could not care in the slightest, just confessed to me that he likes Donald Trump's cologne. I immediately found the notes:

The fresh mix of basil, citrus, cucumber, green notes and vetiver give this scent an airy coolness that is never overpowering. The smooth aroma of wood adds masculinity, and a touch of mint gives this cologne a crisp and energetic feel.

And promised him I'd find a BPAL corollary. Ten seconds of searching has not come up with anything yet. I'm obviously going to keep trying, but if this looks familiar to anyone, let me know! I'm not much for the fresh or minty scents, so even if I started to read a note list like this, my eyes would glaze over before I got to the end.

Maybe Laughter of Loki from the Ragnarok LEs?

"Serpentine green musk with fiery red ginger, sweet basil, alder leaf, white patchouli, cistus, and mistletoe."

ETA: Can't find a good GC so far, but maybe Dawn: Cernunnos (Terebinth pine, basil, green sandalwood, fig leaf, armoise, lemon balm, cypress, myrrh, black cedar, and juniper) or Cathode (Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints)?

Edited by kajacana

greetings :wave:

i am looking for something similar for the 3 below and have not found any comparisons. def appreciate your input if possible:

* Vetiver ( Guerlain ) which is such a fresh scent and bright scent

i have imps of embalming fluid and sea of glass which are both refreshing, i would like to know of any suggestions that you may have?

* "1000 " ( pronounced " mille " by Jean Patou )

* Aromatics Elixir ( Clinique )

- on another note, i find Coyote reminds me of Mitsouko ( Guerlain ) with more complexity and i love it!

thanks!

Maybe Laughter of Loki from the Ragnarok LEs?

"Serpentine green musk with fiery red ginger, sweet basil, alder leaf, white patchouli, cistus, and mistletoe."

ETA: Can't find a good GC so far, but maybe Dawn: Cernunnos (Terebinth pine, basil, green sandalwood, fig leaf, armoise, lemon balm, cypress, myrrh, black cedar, and juniper) or Cathode (Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints)?

Death on a Pale Horse (empty white musk and mint seeped with solemn lavender, doleful patchouli and vetiver, scythe-sharp yuzu and lime, with geranium bourbon, white sandalwood and calla lily) comes to mind. I'm probably not a good recommender, as this was actually awful on me, but I think it might be in line with what he likes.

He also might try an imp of Orc (Field grey courgette musk, roughly cured leather, and vetiver). It doesn't have the lighter notes he wants, but I mention it specifically because a few people got cucumber from the courgette/zucchini in this. I, um, didn't like this one either! I think your co-worker is my antimatter.

Sunqist, maybe try Lear? Its' white cedarwood, blue sage, and bay leaf. It's an herbal/woody scent with that airiness that Trump's copy mentions. It's light but lasting and very masculine in a refined way. Honestly, it's all I would ever wear if I was a guy.

If anybody is watching Marvel's Agent Carter, Hayley Atwell has gone on record saying that her character wears a perfume very like Bésame's Decades of Fragrance: 1940, which is described thus:

I tried to look for ones with similar scents, but given the different blends, who knows how similar they'd be? Eh, worth a shot. The closest I can find, kinda sorta are:

Moscow - "A rich, bold blend of imperial rose, carnation, lush jasmine, lily of the valley, dark musk, amber, bergamot and gilded tangerine."

The Little Wooden Doll - "rose-infused amber and soft golden sandalwood."

For Each Ecstatic Instant - "velvet-red roses and sensual aged patchouli with night-blooming jasmine, caramelized bourbon vanilla, labdanum, black amber, and oudh."

The above is a limited scent, so if it sounds good to you, get it while the gettin's good.

In Templum Dei - "Oman frankincense, cistus labdanum, white sandalwood, and liquid ambar."

Lady Death: Savage - "White musk, grey amber, Calabrian bergamot, vanilla absolute, French labdanum, styrax, wormwood, caraway, and bois de jasmin."

Bette Noir - "Benzoin, wild plum, smoky amber, bergamot, orange blossom, myrrh, and dark berries."

Spooky Action at a Distance: "rose-infused sandalwood with violet leaf, frankincense, geranium rose, and a spark of elemi."

And that's the best I could do. Hope this helps!

I tried to look for ones with similar scents, but given the different blends, who knows how similar they'd be? Eh, worth a shot. The closest I can find, kinda sorta are:

Moscow - "A rich, bold blend of imperial rose, carnation, lush jasmine, lily of the valley, dark musk, amber, bergamot and gilded tangerine."

The Little Wooden Doll - "rose-infused amber and soft golden sandalwood."

For Each Ecstatic Instant - "velvet-red roses and sensual aged patchouli with night-blooming jasmine, caramelized bourbon vanilla, labdanum, black amber, and oudh."

The above is a limited scent, so if it sounds good to you, get it while the gettin's good.

In Templum Dei - "Oman frankincense, cistus labdanum, white sandalwood, and liquid ambar."

Lady Death: Savage - "White musk, grey amber, Calabrian bergamot, vanilla absolute, French labdanum, styrax, wormwood, caraway, and bois de jasmin."

Bette Noir - "Benzoin, wild plum, smoky amber, bergamot, orange blossom, myrrh, and dark berries."

Spooky Action at a Distance: "rose-infused sandalwood with violet leaf, frankincense, geranium rose, and a spark of elemi."

And that's the best I could do. Hope this helps!

Ooh, thanks! LOL, most of these are on my wishlist anyway (except for The Little Wooden Doll, which I've already tried and which goes a little too maternal for my tastes), especially For Each Ecstatic Instant (mmmm Lupers), so thanks for the extra incentive to try them out. :D

I love Agent Carter, and that whole time period.

I think that for Peggy In Templum Dei is too frankincense heavy, too medieval/modern if that makes any sense. Lady Death could be good, it's a very well blended cologne type fragrance, one of my own DH's favorites, and he tends to slightly feminine scents.

Spooky Action though could be amazing!

I think Haunted could be worth a shot, it smells very "of that period" to me, the top notes smell very much like Shalimar.

For Each Ecstatic Instant could also be nice for Peggy, it could be of that period.

When I think of Peggy personally I could see her wearing Dawn Mourning Victory, which is a strong deep floral or (yes I know it's corny) Avenger. These are only personal impressions though.

Hello ladies and gents - went fragrance shopping with my boyfriend and he fell for Wit by Parfums DelRae. It is supposedly centered around the flower daphne: "Daphne is one of the first flowers to bloom in early spring. Its delicious lemony, neroli scent is such a surprise and delight in the chill and gray of winter. Such a bright and spirited presence"

List of notes: "Meyer lemon, Green mandarin, Angelica, Laurel nobile, Daphne, Jasmine, Narcissus, Mimosa, Ylang ylang, Amber crystals, Madagascar vanilla, Velvet musk"

It's a very springy floral with dewy green notes, and reviews mention mimosa, jasmine, vanilla, and white florals. I don't think the citrus is strong in this one, or at least it doesn't stand out. I don't know what daphne smells like on its own but to me, this scent isn't overly powdery or soapy.

I don't even know where to start with this one, I'm not all that familiar with the bpal floral category, so I thought I'd throw it out here and see what comes up. Bpal would certainly be more affordable and probably nicer if we can find the right one! : )

Hi there!

Very very new (as in, waiting for my first scents new) and I was curious if there was anything similar to some of my favorite scents. I've been looking through the directory.. but just in case... any suggestions?

Bvlgari Black- Super incredible, favorite perfume ever, I'd love to have 'varieties' of this sort of profile but with BPAL. lapsang souchong/rubber (yes it smells like rubber at first! it's great!) is dominant, followed by settling into beautiful leather and vanilla. Other scents hidden in there- bergamont, green tea, sandalwood, musk, jasmine, cedar, oakmoss, amber, rose. This stuff sings on me, and I hope I can find something else like it.

Dzing! (L'artisan Parfumeur). On me, beautiful clean, warm almost sweet smelling soft leather, a little .. I want to say blonde wood and a musky clean horsey sort of smell, almost a sweet floral note, not quite. Officially it's usually toted as "leather, ginger, tonka bean, musk, white woods, caramel, saffron, toffee, candy apple and cotton candy." and was made to invoke the circus. I don't get things like candy apple at all on me, and there's no cotton candy or toffee or ginger or the caramel note people talk about? I love what it turns into though.

Poison by Dior- It's been a long time since I was even allowed near this stuff- it gives everybody around me besides me a headache. I'd love a substitute- or something just as obnoxious. It's a frankenstien, judging by what I just looked up? I was never able to pick out individual scents before, and I'm not surprised, it has a ton of scents I like or love. Plum, tuberose, Incense, jasmine, heliotrope,orange flower, anise, vertiver, musk,opoponax, cinnamon, carnation, sandalwood, cedar, white honey, amber, rosewood, coriander, vanille, wild berries and rose. Whew!

Edit:

Forgot to add the shower gel that I'm being forced to slowly phase out (stupid SLS ingredients...) Lush's ridiculous Flying Fox. I adore this and wish they had it as a solid perfume or something. Does BPAL have something in the same spirit? 3 kinds of honey, jasmine, jasmine absolute, ylang ylang oil, cypress oil, chinese angelica, burdock root, palmarosa oil and some very tiny hints of geranium/rose/lemon oils, but I can't detect them at all!

Edited by DoktorDandy

Very very new (as in, waiting for my first scents new) and I was curious if there was anything similar to some of my favorite scents. I've been looking through the directory.. but just in case... any suggestions?

Just so you know, there's a search feature in the upper right corner that will let you search for specific terms in each thread (it's marked as Search: (this topic) so you don't have to look through results from the entire forum). Not saying this to be all, "Omg, why can't you just search you fool!" but more that you're new and I thought it might be helpful. :) In this case Dior's Poison has been remarked on a few times and people have recommended:

Dark Delicacies - A heady and darkly romantic blend of devil's trumpet accord, black orchid, tonka, coconut meat, fruit gums, osmanthus, smoky resin, myrtle, and Indonesian patchouli.

Fairy Market - Otherworldy golden incense, blooming wind-flowers, everlasting lavender, bluebell, a faint whiff of exotic sugared candies, and fae mist upon wet green grass.

Horreur Sympathique - Blood musk, golden honey, thick black wine, champagne grapes, tobacco flower, plum blossom, tonka bean, oakmoss, carnation, benzoin, opoponax, and sugar cane.

There's also another thread specifically for Dior that just got bumped here. Giallo was brought up there (Opopponax, black plum, night-blooming jasmine, benzoin, red musk, violet leaf, orange blossom, mimosa, mandarin, smoky vanilla, tobacco, patchouli, and black amber.)

For Bvlgari Black, perhaps Antikythera Mechanism. It's simpler, but has a similar dark vanilla/resin combo. Others in that vein are Iole, Kubla Khan, Liz, As Above, Mysterious Warning, Leather Phoenix, Haute Macabre. I feel like you'd probably like Prosperous Flowers of the Elegant Twelve Seasons and/or A Variety of Pleasing Amusements. They're vanilla/leather with honey added into the mix.

Based on your description of Dzing! it makes me think of Aziraphale. It's a soft, clean dusty blonde wood with a hint of something sweet and resinous. Very nice but no leather. The White Rider is the softest GC leather I can think of and one of my favorites. Or rather I take that back - Paladin is one notch below White Rider and is basically sweet leather with vanilla and a hint of musk. Dee is a great gentle leather, though it's more sandalwood/very delicate rose + leather. It has a bookish vibe like Aziraphale. I feel like you should give Question Mark and Goatweed Leafwing a shot too. Seems like they might be in a similar vein. You also might like Perversion based on the note list.

Flying Fox: Defututa, Euphrosyne, Hal, Ceanothus Silkmoth

Dzing! (L'artisan Parfumeur). On me, beautiful clean, warm almost sweet smelling soft leather, a little .. I want to say blonde wood and a musky clean horsey sort of smell, almost a sweet floral note, not quite. Officially it's usually toted as "leather, ginger, tonka bean, musk, white woods, caramel, saffron, toffee, candy apple and cotton candy." and was made to invoke the circus. I don't get things like candy apple at all on me, and there's no cotton candy or toffee or ginger or the caramel note people talk about? I love what it turns into though.

Edit:

Forgot to add the shower gel that I'm being forced to slowly phase out (stupid SLS ingredients...) Lush's ridiculous Flying Fox. I adore this and wish they had it as a solid perfume or something. Does BPAL have something in the same spirit? 3 kinds of honey, jasmine, jasmine absolute, ylang ylang oil, cypress oil, chinese angelica, burdock root, palmarosa oil and some very tiny hints of geranium/rose/lemon oils, but I can't detect them at all!

aw, man. I used to love dzing! it was my last big bottle of alcohol based perfume that I ended up gifting away when I turned fully to the perume oil side.

pathetically, i can't remember how it smelled enough to think of a comperable bpal right now. I'll have to sneak into a department store and try it again and see what I can come up with.

regarding the flying fox, the trading post has a bath oil that was an LE last spring but still comes up on their etsy site. it is called Seblstverliebt and it is a vanilla jasmine, but it tickles the same spot in my brain as flying fox (selbstverliebt is similar to--and honestly superior to--the lush tender is the night massage bar). there was also a single note, sampaguita, that might work for you. also not an exact match, but Lily, the prostitute from the pretty deadly line, has a similar sense of jasmine to lush's flying fox and godiva shampoo.

Just so you know, there's a search feature in the upper right corner that will let you search for specific terms in each thread (it's marked as Search: (this topic) so you don't have to look through results from the entire forum). Not saying this to be all, "Omg, why can't you just search you fool!" but more that you're new and I thought it might be helpful. :) In this case Dior's Poison has been remarked on a few times and people have recommended:

Dark Delicacies - A heady and darkly romantic blend of devil's trumpet accord, black orchid, tonka, coconut meat, fruit gums, osmanthus, smoky resin, myrtle, and Indonesian patchouli.

Fairy Market - Otherworldy golden incense, blooming wind-flowers, everlasting lavender, bluebell, a faint whiff of exotic sugared candies, and fae mist upon wet green grass.

Horreur Sympathique - Blood musk, golden honey, thick black wine, champagne grapes, tobacco flower, plum blossom, tonka bean, oakmoss, carnation, benzoin, opoponax, and sugar cane.

There's also another thread specifically for Dior that just got bumped here. Giallo was brought up there (Opopponax, black plum, night-blooming jasmine, benzoin, red musk, violet leaf, orange blossom, mimosa, mandarin, smoky vanilla, tobacco, patchouli, and black amber.)

For Bvlgari Black, perhaps Antikythera Mechanism. It's simpler, but has a similar dark vanilla/resin combo. Others in that vein are Iole, Kubla Khan, Liz, As Above, Mysterious Warning, Leather Phoenix, Haute Macabre. I feel like you'd probably like Prosperous Flowers of the Elegant Twelve Seasons and/or A Variety of Pleasing Amusements. They're vanilla/leather with honey added into the mix.

Based on your description of Dzing! it makes me think of Aziraphale. It's a soft, clean dusty blonde wood with a hint of something sweet and resinous. Very nice but no leather. The White Rider is the softest GC leather I can think of and one of my favorites. Or rather I take that back - Paladin is one notch below White Rider and is basically sweet leather with vanilla and a hint of musk. Dee is a great gentle leather, though it's more sandalwood/very delicate rose + leather. It has a bookish vibe like Aziraphale. I feel like you should give Question Mark and Goatweed Leafwing a shot too. Seems like they might be in a similar vein. You also might like Perversion based on the note list.

Flying Fox: Defututa, Euphrosyne, Hal, Ceanothus Silkmoth

No, that's OK! It WAS indirectly helpful. Normally I do know how to search forums- but turns out this one is smarter than I'm used to, and does global forum searches AND subforum specific searches. Figured it out now, I promise. I hadn't realised that I was exclusively searching an incorrect subforum. Used to much clunkier forum setups.

Fairy Market sounds interesting and sort of like a lighter ghost of Poison, and Dark Delecasies and Giallo would be amazing, but I am scared of that patchouli note like nobody's buisness. So far, I'm going to try out just one patchouli-laced scent, brr. I will add them to my risk-taking scent possibilities. But Horror Sympathetique wasn't on my radar at all- I've added it to my lists, and may be feeling out an imp from a forum member. Sonds lovely!

I'm going to have to check out all your reccomendations for Nvulgari Black Flying Fox and Dzing! Some of them were on my radar, and some I haven't read about yet! Thankyou!

Edit:

aw, man. I used to love dzing! it was my last big bottle of alcohol based perfume that I ended up gifting away when I turned fully to the perume oil side.

pathetically, i can't remember how it smelled enough to think of a comperable bpal right now. I'll have to sneak into a department store and try it again and see what I can come up with.

regarding the flying fox, the trading post has a bath oil that was an LE last spring but still comes up on their etsy site. it is called Seblstverliebt and it is a vanilla jasmine, but it tickles the same spot in my brain as flying fox (selbstverliebt is similar to--and honestly superior to--the lush tender is the night massage bar). there was also a single note, sampaguita, that might work for you. also not an exact match, but Lily, the prostitute from the pretty deadly line, has a similar sense of jasmine to lush's flying fox and godiva shampoo.

Ah, man- I wouldn't know how to explain Dzing! to people because of what it does on me- I think it's a little different than what it does for others. I can wear a lot of perfume so far- Hypnotic Poison was the only one to ever go weird on me when I tried it in a store (in 10 minutes it became salty playdoh, exactly, what the HECK). I'm curious why people completely give up alcohol based perfumes and entirely switch to oils? I've seen some others mentioning that too? If you get another whiff of Dzing, let me know what you think is similar, BPAL wise!

Thanks for the possible flying fox reccomendations! I will miss the weird pot/musky thing that it does on me so much! But maybe I can find something I like even better...

Edit:

Ah, man- I wouldn't know how to explain Dzing! to people because of what it does on me- I think it's a little different than what it does for others. I can wear a lot of perfume so far- Hypnotic Poison was the only one to ever go weird on me when I tried it in a store (in 10 minutes it became salty playdoh, exactly, what the HECK). I'm curious why people completely give up alcohol based perfumes and entirely switch to oils? I've seen some others mentioning that too? If you get another whiff of Dzing, let me know what you think is similar, BPAL wise!

Thanks for the possible flying fox reccomendations! I will miss the weird pot/musky thing that it does on me so much! But maybe I can find something I like even better...

There's something in alcohol perfumes that smells like formaldehyde to my nose. Just a hint in the background but I notice it more since I started wearing more oil perfumes. Even my own beloved favorites, like dzing, rose elixir, untitled margiela do it, and I'd love to find bpal equivalents of all three.

There's another bpal scent called lady death:savage, that is a vanilla musk with a nice jasmine in the drydown. Not an exact flying fox match, but you might enjoy it and it'll take the sting out of giving up the flying fox. I've found that all of my favorite lush scents get axed, and they took away the retro section so there is no hope if me seeing/smelling them again. Not entirely painful as lush stuff can be drying to my skin, but some of those smells are crack-like. ..as are many bpals.

I hope you find new scents here that you enjoy!

I'm curious why people completely give up alcohol based perfumes and entirely switch to oils? I've seen some others mentioning that too?

For me, I haven't quit them per se--in fact, getting into BPAL has given me a greater appreciation for how "regular" perfume also evolves throughout a day--but I just have so much BPAL now that I forget to ever wear the other stuff! :laugh:

I'm curious why people completely give up alcohol based perfumes and entirely switch to oils? I've seen some others mentioning that too?

For me, I haven't quit them per se--in fact, getting into BPAL has given me a greater appreciation for how "regular" perfume also evolves throughout a day--but I just have so much BPAL now that I forget to ever wear the other stuff! :laugh:

I often recommend to people who aren't used to wearing oils that it can be helpful to give up alcohol based perfumes for a while in the beginning, so that your nose gets used to the notes on your skin without the alcohol. Alcohol based perfumes are intended to be stable enough to smell pretty nearly the same on everyone, making them recognizable (and marketable) when you smell them on someone. If you give them up while testing out oils, your nose will learn to pick out the notes, and more importantly, differentiate how they smell on your skin while wet, drydown, and during hormonal changes.

As for me, I stopped buying or asking for alcohol based perfumes after getting into BPAL. I still have some of my old favorites that I wear on occasion, or I pack them when going on trips so I don't have to worry about losing my Preciousss. But mostly I find that I just prefer to wear BPAL because then I don't smell like anyone else! :smile:

If you can get a decant of Bigger critters, you may like it better than Flying Fox. I swears.

Alright, this is a tricky one. I have not personally smelled this, so that makes this trickier- but I was wondering if there is anything that is reminiscent of the original (not the reformulated) "Narcisse Noir" by Caron? The one who's formula was developed around 1910 and stayed that way until I think around the 70s or 80s? I would not know.

It was my mother's childhood scent, and some of Beth's works seem to be hitting a bit of that dark note that she really really misses. The notes are usually officially Narcissus, orange flower, sandalwood, jasmine, orange, musk, vertiver and rose. The way people talk about it though, they speak of the narcissus and big dark florals, the sandalwood and incense as being heavy and the feral civet/musk. Mom and her sisters speak about it fondly and talk about it's "Piano Bench" smell (due to the family keeping dark Indian incense in the fragrant wooden piano bench while they were growing up). She's not big into jasmine or orange flower so it would be something with those not in the foreground. I'd be curious what scents, hopefully GC might have some resemblance to the original Narcisse Noir. I just wish I was able to smell the original so I could help.