Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Ok, I'm putting it out there......

I really love Nightscape by Ulrich Lang:

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/16904/nightscape-by-ulrich-lang-new-york

"Bergamot, Sappy Green Accord, Jasmine, Geranium, Cedarwood, Soft Leather, Musk, Amber, Tonka Bean, Patchouli"

It is a patchouli-centered fragrance but it's so not typically patchouli, it is modern and clean, and I would say on the masculine side. Not that I have anything against patchouli at all.....in fact I love it.....but this is almost like the anti-patchouli patchouli scent IMO.

So I have a renewed interest in bpal patchouli scents now, I'm wearing Goblin today and this isn't quite it. Honestly from what I remember, Manhattan is more like the mood I'm looking for, even though it doesn't actually have patchouli, it does have the leather, amber, and wood and floral aspects, so I think I'm going to try it again (I had an imp when it first came out but haven't tried it since then).

Any other ideas? Clean and masculine, with maybe patchouli? I know the lab's website makes it super easy to narrow down by note, and I tried that with patchouli, but I thought I'd ask here as well. Thanks!

does anyone know of any BPAL scents that smell like either:

Dior's Midnight Poison

or

L'Occitane Eau des Baux ?

Ok, I'm putting it out there......

I really love Nightscape by Ulrich Lang:

http://www.luckyscent.com/product/16904/nightscape-by-ulrich-lang-new-york

"Bergamot, Sappy Green Accord, Jasmine, Geranium, Cedarwood, Soft Leather, Musk, Amber, Tonka Bean, Patchouli"

It is a patchouli-centered fragrance but it's so not typically patchouli, it is modern and clean, and I would say on the masculine side. Not that I have anything against patchouli at all.....in fact I love it.....but this is almost like the anti-patchouli patchouli scent IMO.

So I have a renewed interest in bpal patchouli scents now, I'm wearing Goblin today and this isn't quite it. Honestly from what I remember, Manhattan is more like the mood I'm looking for, even though it doesn't actually have patchouli, it does have the leather, amber, and wood and floral aspects, so I think I'm going to try it again (I had an imp when it first came out but haven't tried it since then).

Any other ideas? Clean and masculine, with maybe patchouli? I know the lab's website makes it super easy to narrow down by note, and I tried that with patchouli, but I thought I'd ask here as well. Thanks!

It sounds to me like you might like Alice, The Reaper of Cruelty - but perhaps combining Caterpillar and Manhattan might get the scent you want? xx

So my all time favorite perfume oil is called Devil Sex. It has been renamed now to vamp venom and was sold on vampfangs.com for a while. I can find it at all now, nor any base note information. :( it's just dissipated. It's stuff is unbelievably intoxicating. I do know it has mandarin, orange blossom, cinnamon and plum. There's more to it though. Possibly some deep white florals and other spices, but its not "spicy".

Is anyone else here familiar with it and knows of a good replacement? Kat Von D's perfume sinner is similar, ill take copies of that too :P

I have tried belle epoche, which is too one noted on my skin and is almost jammy sweet on me. Help! :D

Sinner is one of my favorite scents ever. (and wow the notes are spot on with the vamp venom you described! bet it smelled incredible.) I never found a bpal quite like it, but I did find that if you layer Snake Oil lightly with Chimera - something magical happens! And they are very much in that same intoxicating scent family. Maybe if you can acquire a few imps to test first? I really don't think you'll be disappointed though!

So my all time favorite perfume oil is called Devil Sex. It has been renamed now to vamp venom and was sold on vampfangs.com for a while. I can find it at all now, nor any base note information. :( it's just dissipated. It's stuff is unbelievably intoxicating. I do know it has mandarin, orange blossom, cinnamon and plum. There's more to it though. Possibly some deep white florals and other spices, but its not "spicy".

Is anyone else here familiar with it and knows of a good replacement? Kat Von D's perfume sinner is similar, ill take copies of that too :P

I have tried belle epoche, which is too one noted on my skin and is almost jammy sweet on me. Help! :D

Sinner is one of my favorite scents ever. (and wow the notes are spot on with the vamp venom you described! bet it smelled incredible.) I never found a bpal quite like it, but I did find that if you layer Snake Oil lightly with Chimera - something magical happens! And they are very much in that same intoxicating scent family. Maybe if you can acquire a few imps to test first? I really don't think you'll be disappointed though!

I haven't smelled it myself, but based on your description I'd suggest layering Oya and Vixen. Couldn't hurt :think:

I haven't smelled it myself, but based on your description I'd suggest layering Oya and Vixen. Couldn't hurt :think:

oooh! I have never had the pleasure of testing Oya - but from the looks of it, that sounds divine!

If any of you lovely people could point me toward any scents that may resemble Versace Crystal Noir, I'd be very appreciative.

The notes are as follows:

Top Notes - Ginger, Cardamom, Pepper
Mid Notes - African Orange Flower, Gardenia, Peony, Coconut
Base Notes - Musk, Sandalwood, Amber

I'm looking to place my first BPAL order soon and I'd love to try find something similar to this perfume. My nose isn't that keen yet but from what I've read pepper, gardenia, coconut and amber are the big stand outs.

A friend of mine (male) is looking for a BPAL scent that resembles Hermes' Jardin sur le Toit, which is a unisex scent.

The official description states: "Un Jardin sur le Toit is a lively, edgy novella. This perfume describes a secret garden, nestled in the heart of the city in Paris. A hanging garden, perched on the roof of the house of Hermès, at 24 faubourg Saint-Honoré. An apple tree, a pear tree, a magnolia in the Paris air, along with a few self-seeded imposters, all making up this perfume of light and pleasure, enticing and full of laughter."

And, I'm not sure how accurate this is, but the Fragrantica website mentions, "Its fresh and sweet-smelling atmosphere is captured by apple, pear, rose, green grass, basil, magnolia and compost notes."

So, I guess we're looking for something unisex, fresh, green, a little bit sweet and fruity, and a little bit floral. Ideas?

Does anyone have a BPAL dupe for Jicky by Guerlain? For Halloween, I'm going as a book character (Phryne Fisher, if anybody's wondering) who is known for wearing Jicky in the Roaring 20s, and I think it would add a very neat dimension to my costume if I even smelled like her.

Jicky's description can be found here, and reads:

Oriental Fougère.

Contrasting, dynamic, surprising.

The spicy notes that blossom with the warmth of the oriental facet also play skillfully with the fresh and aromatic notes of lemon and lavender at its heart. Underneath this audacious structure, one detects woody and vanilla notes for greater vibration and character.

Fragrentica lists its notes as: The top notes contain lavender and citrus (bergamot, lemon and mandarin), which perfectly match the cold, metallic orris and rose shaded by vetiver. The cold top and middle notes are an elegant counterbalance to the warm base created of patchouli, vanilla, amber and musk.

No recommendations for Jicky (although I'm as curious as you are), unfortunately, but can I just comment on how fantastic that costume idea is?! Phryne Fisher, inspiration! My kitten is actually named after the character. :)

I have been looking for a scent that resembles Coty Dark Vanilla for years (they always discontinue what I like most). Notes on this blend are sketchy. One website will list a set of notes and then another website will list a whole different set. Here is what I think would be the correct notes : top notes of bergamot, coconut and peach. At the heart of the fragrance are jasmine, geranium and lily-of-the-valley, placed on a woody base of sandalwood, cedar, musk, tonka bean and vanilla.

The search so far as lead to no winners, I did get an old bottle off eBay...and this stuff does not age out well. Stinky cloying alcohol mess.

Another one I have been looking for is Gerlain's Mahora. It's a hard one to wear, and it's more interesting than pretty but I miss it. It was my first sort of grown up lady bottle. Notes are orange blossom, almond blossom, and green accords (I’m going to say oak moss is in there for sure) in the top, ylang-ylang, neroli, tuberose and jasmine in the heart, and sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver in the base.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

This is an old post, but Morocco kind of went to a Dark Vanilla-ish place on me.

If anyone here is a fan of Annick Goutal's Petite Cherie (like I am), Katharina is similar. It's not an exact match, mind you, but it's definitely close to my nose.

No recommendations for Jicky (although I'm as curious as you are), unfortunately, but can I just comment on how fantastic that costume idea is?! Phryne Fisher, inspiration! My kitten is actually named after the character. :)

I was thinking, if nothing else comes to mind, something in the realm of Hollywood Babylon - I know Phryne gets involved in film (in s2, I think?), but overall, it just sounds like it would fit her.

And, awwww, Phryne the kitten! That's too perfect, since the real (well, "real") Phryne is a Cat Person. Phryne Fisher is my goddamn Patronus (well, one of them, anyway).

Sigh...I have fallen in love with my tiny sample of Violette Market's Sugar Shock and now I don't know where I may find some more, perhaps Bpal makes something similar?

The notes are Strawberry Marshmallow Fluff,Vanilla Cream, Lavender Puff Pastry, and Sweet Sage Cookies.

Any suggestions, ladies?

Sigh...I have fallen in love with my tiny sample of Violette Market's Sugar Shock and now I don't know where I may find some more, perhaps Bpal makes something similar?

The notes are Strawberry Marshmallow Fluff,Vanilla Cream, Lavender Puff Pastry, and Sweet Sage Cookies.

Any suggestions, ladies?

Aside from the cookies, it sounds most similar to Love (Marshmallows and rose sugar with whipped vanilla cream and a hint of strawberry). For a less herbal version, Sprinklecake (Rainbow sprinkles baked into rich vanilla cake with thick, creamy frosting topped with glittery candy flakes). Unfortunately both are LEs but they're not impossible to find.

I caught a sniff of Gucci Pour Homme II last night, and I think it smells just like Bluebeard. I checked the notes and didn't see vetiver, so I'm wondering if it might in fact smell more similar to The Raven-- in any case, if someone liked one, they'd probably like the other.

Thanks for the suggestions. I love Bluebeard and it was discontinued so I am going to try your suggestions.

Just got a sample of this with my sephora order (I know, I really should stop buying into the commercial perfume life but alas!!) and I am obsesseddd with Maison Martin Margela 'REPLICA' Beach Walk. Notes are:

Bergamot, Pink Pepper, Lemon, Ylang Ylang, Coconut Milk, Heliotrope, Musk, Cedar Wood, Benzoin.

umm...this is the "style":

Pure. Deep. Blissful.

If any of y'all have any recommendations I would be SO grateful!

I have been looking for a scent that resembles Coty Dark Vanilla for years (they always discontinue what I like most). Notes on this blend are sketchy. One website will list a set of notes and then another website will list a whole different set. Here is what I think would be the correct notes : top notes of bergamot, coconut and peach. At the heart of the fragrance are jasmine, geranium and lily-of-the-valley, placed on a woody base of sandalwood, cedar, musk, tonka bean and vanilla.

The search so far as lead to no winners, I did get an old bottle off eBay...and this stuff does not age out well. Stinky cloying alcohol mess.

Another one I have been looking for is Gerlain's Mahora. It's a hard one to wear, and it's more interesting than pretty but I miss it. It was my first sort of grown up lady bottle. Notes are orange blossom, almond blossom, and green accords (I’m going to say oak moss is in there for sure) in the top, ylang-ylang, neroli, tuberose and jasmine in the heart, and sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver in the base.

This is an old post, but Morocco kind of went to a Dark Vanilla-ish place on me.

Thanks for taking time to try to help me :biggrin: . Sadly, while I do see a bit of Morocco (one of my fave BPAL) in Dark Vanilla its not enough on my skin to be a dupe :ugh: . My search continues. Why do we always wants what we can'ts have? :frustrated:

So I searched this thread and saw a few rec's for scents that smell like Dior's Hypnotic Poison, but does anyone know of any others that may have popped up since then?

The most recent one I've seen is Vain Sorceress from the Trading Post.

HP is one of the very few commercial perfumes that I love, and I haven't yet found a BPAL that is a total smell-alike. The Girl has a similar feel, but it's crazy hard to find. You should also try The Antikythera Mechanism or Stimulating Sassafrass Strengthener, if you haven't already. But for me, what I love about Hypnotic Poison is that gorgeous dry dusky sandalwood and the sultry vanilla + musk combination - my skin doesn't play out any of the florals or fruit notes at all - so those recommendations may be way off for you, depending on what it is about HP that you love smile.gif

I can suggest without any doubt dragon's Milk...it rensembles very much H.P. by Dior...less sultry but it has the same mood

I'm still after a rec that's similar to Fuel For Life: Use With Caution by Diesel. I've tried a few with similar notes, haven't found anything that works thus far.

I LOVE maison margiela replica beach walk also, as mentioned above!!! It is fabulous. I'd love to know a bpal rec for it also!

Edited by wonderwoman9

Thanks for taking time to try to help me :biggrin: . Sadly, while I do see a bit of Morocco (one of my fave BPAL) in Dark Vanilla its not enough on my skin to be a dupe :ugh: . My search continues. Why do we always wants what we can'ts have? :frustrated:

Have you tried Kubla Khan? It's a bit of a wildcard because the long note list makes it very skin chemistry-dependent, but it might be worth a shot.

I would so appreciate a recommendation for something similar to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. I love the scent and would wear it every day if it wasn't so incredibly expensive. The vanilla is wonderfully sweet as a base note, but it's also balanced by a smokiness from the tobacco leaf and spice notes. I have been wearing Morocco for a while, but it doesn't have the smoky depth of Tobacco Vanille. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"Tobacco Vanille Eau de Parfum is a modern take on an old-world men’s club. A smooth oriental, Tobacco Vanille opens immediately with opulent essences of tobacco leaf and aromatic spice notes. The heart unfolds with creamy tonka bean, tobacco flower, vanilla and cocoa and finishes with dry fruit accord enriched with sweet wood sap.

Notes: ginger, tobacco leaves, anise, coriander, tobacco flower, clove, spices, fruit wood sap, benzoin, vanilla, tonka bean."

I would so appreciate a recommendation for something similar to Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille. I love the scent and would wear it every day if it wasn't so incredibly expensive. The vanilla is wonderfully sweet as a base note, but it's also balanced by a smokiness from the tobacco leaf and spice notes. I have been wearing Morocco for a while, but it doesn't have the smoky depth of Tobacco Vanille. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"Tobacco Vanille Eau de Parfum is a modern take on an old-world men’s club. A smooth oriental, Tobacco Vanille opens immediately with opulent essences of tobacco leaf and aromatic spice notes. The heart unfolds with creamy tonka bean, tobacco flower, vanilla and cocoa and finishes with dry fruit accord enriched with sweet wood sap.

Notes: ginger, tobacco leaves, anise, coriander, tobacco flower, clove, spices, fruit wood sap, benzoin, vanilla, tonka bean."

I've never smelled your beloved, but I'm wondering if the Antikythera Mechanism would work, just based on the notes and how you've described it.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a BPAl scent that smells like D&G Light Blue? Im trying to find a BPAL for my friend who isnt a big perfume wearer but love D&G Light Blue. Shes really sporty and she likes the beachy clean smell of Light Blue. Any Recs would be appreciated!