Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I have tried the board search and searching this topic and I can't seem to find anything. If this has been asked a thousand times, I do apologize. Anyway, my cousin has recently fallen in love with a rollerball of Lady Gaga's Fame perfume she got at Target. The scent descriptions are kind of weird and vague, especially since it says that the fragrance doesn't play by the typical scent pyramid rules we're all accustomed to. This is the description from sephora.com:

"This black fluid exudes a lustful, floral, fruity essence for fabulous little monsters. Enriched with tears of belladonna, a black veil of incense, and pulverized apricot, this fragrance may cause illicit fits of extravagance, unrivalled rushes of adoration, and prolonged moments of ecstasy and rapture.Notes:Belladonna, Incense, Apricot, Honey Drops, Tiger Orchidea, Jasmin Sambac.Style:Empowering. Mysterious. Fabulous."

I assume that belladonna tears smell just like belladonna itself, but who knows? If anyone has smelled this and can think of a close equivalent in BPAL's range, I would be overjoyed. I can think of a few floral-incense blends that I own, but they all lack the fruit.

I have tried the board search and searching this topic and I can't seem to find anything. If this has been asked a thousand times, I do apologize. Anyway, my cousin has recently fallen in love with a rollerball of Lady Gaga's Fame perfume she got at Target. The scent descriptions are kind of weird and vague, especially since it says that the fragrance doesn't play by the typical scent pyramid rules we're all accustomed to. This is the description from sephora.com:

"This black fluid exudes a lustful, floral, fruity essence for fabulous little monsters. Enriched with tears of belladonna, a black veil of incense, and pulverized apricot, this fragrance may cause illicit fits of extravagance, unrivalled rushes of adoration, and prolonged moments of ecstasy and rapture.Notes:Belladonna, Incense, Apricot, Honey Drops, Tiger Orchidea, Jasmin Sambac.Style:Empowering. Mysterious. Fabulous."

I assume that belladonna tears smell just like belladonna itself, but who knows? If anyone has smelled this and can think of a close equivalent in BPAL's range, I would be overjoyed. I can think of a few floral-incense blends that I own, but they all lack the fruit.

I haven't smelled it, but maybe Tamora, Morgause, Midnight on the Midway (good luck), or Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending?

I haven't smelled it, but maybe Tamora, Morgause, Midnight on the Midway (good luck), or Butterflies, Flowers and Jewels Attending?

Thank you! Searching notes I came up with a couple of options, but neither of those are on this list, so this is definitely quite helpful. :D

I'd love to find a scent similar to L'Artisan's La Chasse aux Papillons, I'm not very good at identifying notes, but it's listed as tuberose, orange blossom and spice.

I love that it smells very natural on me, more like a big bouquet of spring flowers than a perfume, but for me, the scent just vanishes in half an hour or so. Any tips would be totally welcomed! Thanks much! :)

Hey, hey! I wanted to ask you guys for some advice, namely, what are the best "oriental", dark, mysterious scents from BPAL? I'm a total newbie but in the "boring perfume world" I love opium, john galliano edp, organza indecence, stylessence, alien, very irresistible sensual, JHAG Citizen Queen,etc...help!

Hey, hey! I wanted to ask you guys for some advice, namely, what are the best "oriental", dark, mysterious scents from BPAL? I'm a total newbie but in the "boring perfume world" I love opium, john galliano edp, organza indecence, stylessence, alien, very irresistible sensual, JHAG Citizen Queen,etc...help!

Just stalk me! LOL! Some of my favorites from the GC: Snake Oil, Sin, O, Dance of Death, The Other Miss Forcible, Ekhidna, Le Lethe, Medea...

Edited by lookingglass

Defututa may getcha a similar feel.

Edited by lookingglass

I am looking for a Egyptian Goddess by auric blends, any similar scents from BPAL?

I've had a sample of this lying around for ages, and gave it a one-year-smoke-free new test today. It smells *very* similar to Xiuhtecuhtli to me. The same kind of soft musk + floral mix that I smell in Xiuhtecuhtli's base. The only difference - from memory without a side-to-side comparison - is that I perceice Xiuhtecuhtli as a pastel turqoise scent, while Egyptian Goddess is more of a white with light pastel yellows and pinks maybe, but more pearlescent white.

So it looks like no one ever got back a response about something resembling Coco by Channel. To me, it's an oriental with dark, not very sweet fruit. Heavy on the amber with a touch of incense, and pomegranate/some other dark fruit with just a smidge of clove. Hymn to Proserpine was the closest, but it's discon and hard to find. Any help?

So it looks like no one ever got back a response about something resembling Coco by Channel. To me, it's an oriental with dark, not very sweet fruit. Heavy on the amber with a touch of incense, and pomegranate/some other dark fruit with just a smidge of clove. Hymn to Proserpine was the closest, but it's discon and hard to find. Any help?

I just re-tested my who-knows-how-old imp of Hymn to Proserpine to remind myself. Gods, it's glorious. I can't think of anything like it, except that the first wet sniff reminded me of an even more rare blend: Glowing Vulva, which doesn't have amber or fruit, and is even more HTF. So that's not much help.

ETA: Sorry, Glowing Vulva does have amber. (mah bad.)

Edited by Circaea

I have been looking for a scent that resembles Coty Dark Vanilla for years (they always discontinue what I like most). Notes on this blend are sketchy. One website will list a set of notes and then another website will list a whole different set. Here is what I think would be the correct notes : top notes of bergamot, coconut and peach. At the heart of the fragrance are jasmine, geranium and lily-of-the-valley, placed on a woody base of sandalwood, cedar, musk, tonka bean and vanilla.

The search so far as lead to no winners, I did get an old bottle off eBay...and this stuff does not age out well. Stinky cloying alcohol mess.

Another one I have been looking for is Gerlain's Mahora. It's a hard one to wear, and it's more interesting than pretty but I miss it. It was my first sort of grown up lady bottle. Notes are orange blossom, almond blossom, and green accords (I’m going to say oak moss is in there for sure) in the top, ylang-ylang, neroli, tuberose and jasmine in the heart, and sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver in the base.

Anyone want to take a stab at it?

I'm going to make a contribution to this thread later and answer other people's questions, but I would like some recommendations.

My sister loves the perfume Ralph Lauren: Romance. She says she'll consider buying from the Lab if I can find a bpal similar to or better than Romance.

Here's the description:

At the beginning of the composition the notes of rose blend with citrusy oils and receive an unusual, unique melody. The pellucid flower of water lily, lily and romantic white violet give this perfume its silent grace and the spicy notes of carnation and ginger refresh. Patchouli, oakmoss and white musk finish the composition gently.

I tried this perfume for myself and it's: A clean, soapy floral. I can smell the powdery rose and I believe the water lily is simply an aquatic + lily. The other notes are submissive to the floral-ness. The whole perfume is grounded by a muskiness. It has a flat personality, IMO, but she likes it.

Any bpals with similarity?

Thanks!

Any bpals with similarity?

I haven't tried it (or RL: Romance), but maybe Madame Tracy (Tea rose, ume blossom, geranium, lily of the valley, violet, and heliotrope)? The reviews describe it as having a soapy edge with rose, lily and violet being predominant, which seems to mirror the notes in Romance. If she just likes rose in general I recommend Two, Five & Seven (Bulgarian rose, Somalian rose, Turkish rose, Damascus rose, red and white rose, tea rose, wine rose, shrub roses, rose, rose, rose… and just an itty bitty bit of green grass). It's a wet, rich and comforting burst of roses.

There's also Marie, which is "a blend of sinuous violet and elegant tea rose," described as being heavier on the violet. Kurukulla (Three lotus blooms and three roses) also comes to mind since the lotus is watery. Hope that helps!

So I searched this thread and saw a few rec's for scents that smell like Dior's Hypnotic Poison, but does anyone know of any others that may have popped up since then?

The most recent one I've seen is Vain Sorceress from the Trading Post.

HP is one of the very few commercial perfumes that I love, and I haven't yet found a BPAL that is a total smell-alike. The Girl has a similar feel, but it's crazy hard to find. You should also try The Antikythera Mechanism or Stimulating Sassafrass Strengthener, if you haven't already. But for me, what I love about Hypnotic Poison is that gorgeous dry dusky sandalwood and the sultry vanilla + musk combination - my skin doesn't play out any of the florals or fruit notes at all - so those recommendations may be way off for you, depending on what it is about HP that you love :smile:

I'd love to find a scent similar to L'Artisan's La Chasse aux Papillons, I'm not very good at identifying notes, but it's listed as tuberose, orange blossom and spice.

I love that it smells very natural on me, more like a big bouquet of spring flowers than a perfume, but for me, the scent just vanishes in half an hour or so. Any tips would be totally welcomed! Thanks much! :)

I've tried that one, and loved it. To me it is almost a single note orange blossom (neroli.) I love neroli so much. Vixen has a lot of neroli. It also has a lot of other things, so it isn't a dupe, but if you like neroli, it is a must try. Vixen is my bpal neroli go-to. But I'm sure there are others in the catalog that might be more floral.

Just wanted to add, I found a BPAL very similar to Ralph Lauren: Romance. Seraphim: calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, Damascus rose and frankincense. I was surprised, especially since it was a frimp (I swear the Lab Staff are psychic!).

My sister loved it and accepted the imp. :)

Edited by Amber Tears

I have a client who is in love with an Avon scent - Haiku Awakenings. I was able to find the following description of it:

"Soft sonnets of night-blooming jasmine, freesia and soft musk mingle to create a tranquil watery-green floral."

Could use a few suggestions on what she should try. :)

Just wanted to add, I found a BPAL very similar to Ralph Lauren: Romance. Seraphim: calla lily, wisteria, white sandalwood, Damascus rose and frankincense. I was surprised, especially since it was a frimp (I swear the Lab Staff are psychic!).

My sister loved it and accepted the imp. :)

Glad you found something that worked!

I have a client who is in love with an Avon scent - Haiku Awakenings. I was able to find the following description of it:

"Soft sonnets of night-blooming jasmine, freesia and soft musk mingle to create a tranquil watery-green floral."

Could use a few suggestions on what she should try. :)

Most of these have freesia and/or jasmine, though I threw a few in just because they're watery florals:

Jasmine Cottage - Camellia, jasmine, heather, orange blossom, osmanthus, wisteria, thyme, angelica, freesia, granny’s nightcap, and English wildflowers.

The East - Bluebonnet, passion flower, freesia, jasmine tea, mint, thyme, and redcurrant.

51 - Green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

Amsterdam - Tulips, peony, fresh flowing water and crisp green grasses.

Ave Maria Gratia Plena - Rosewood with Sicilian lemon peel, red Mysore sandalwood, pale musks, sweet mountain sage and a dusting of lily, night-blooming jasmine and orris.

Kitsune-Tsuki - Asian plum, orchid, daffodil, jasmine and white musk.

Muse - Tuberose, lotus and jasmine with a hint of lime.

Lady of Shalott - Bold gardenia, crystalline musk, muguet, water blossoms, clear, slightly tart aquatic notes and a crush of white ginger.

I tried on Eau Lente by Diptyque today (Opopanax, Indian Spices, Cinnamon)......after it dries down for a while, it smells a lot like Golgothan Myrrh single note. And that makes sense since opoponax is sweet myrrh, and a lot of Eau Lente reviews say that it's like a myrrh single note.

I want to buy some BPAL for someone who loves Viva la Juicy and Givenchy Play. What would you recommend I get to give her as a present?

Also, any recommendations for me? I love sweet foodie scents, but my fiancé likes Hermes Pamplemousse Rose on me. Is there a combination scent that would work?

Any suggestions welcome!

I don't think I've seen any inquiries or suggestions for Elizabeth Arden's 5th Avenue. From Fragrantica:

"The top notes are lilac, linden blossom, dewy magnolia, mandarin and bergamot. The heart notes are Bulgarian pink violet, ylang-ylang, jasmine, Indian tuberose, peach, carnation and nutmeg. The base is composed of amber, Tibetan musk, sandalwood, iris and vanilla."

Okay, this probably sounds insane (I have some taste, really), but for nostalgia and curiosity's sake, does anybody know of a BPAL oil that smells like Britney Spear's Fantasy?

Okay, this probably sounds insane (I have some taste, really), but for nostalgia and curiosity's sake, does anybody know of a BPAL oil that smells like Britney Spear's Fantasy?

I have never smelled that, but I wonder if Croquet might be close. I think it has several similar notes.

So a friend of mine loves Bath and Body Works Black Currant Vanilla perfume, and it's discontinuing soon. The name is a bit misleading--you'd think it's a big sweet fruity gourmand, but it's also got lemon, rosemary, pumpkin, and a big heft of patchouli. My friend says the fruits and patchouli are most notable on her. Any suggestions for a BPAL dupe? I think Eat Me is probably sweeter/more gourmand than she wants. Maybe Red Queen? I've never sniffed that one--is it as fruity/woodsy as it sounds?

I don't think I've seen any inquiries or suggestions for Elizabeth Arden's 5th Avenue. From Fragrantica:

"The top notes are lilac, linden blossom, dewy magnolia, mandarin and bergamot. The heart notes are Bulgarian pink violet, ylang-ylang, jasmine, Indian tuberose, peach, carnation and nutmeg. The base is composed of amber, Tibetan musk, sandalwood, iris and vanilla."

I've never smelled it, so take this with a grain of salt, but I imagine it might be similar to Ladon or French Love.