Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Bumping this because I got a PM asking about this, then somehow it disappeared before I could respond! I apologize to the sender!

Funny thing is, after not wearing this in what seems like forever, I pulled it out last weekend and wore it Friday and Saturday. And that has inspired me to try again to see if I can find a good BPAL combo that replicates it! I only have this teeny roller bottle of UD Sin and I know it won't last forever.

Eclipse kind've reminds me of Druglord - "A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon."

Sin is good for a patchouli & cinnamon - "Thouroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon."

Sin is one of my top 10, and I agree..it just lacks the coconut and Egyptian musk (suppose I could acquire single notes of those and try my hand, eh?) ;)

Sin is one of my top 10, and I agree..it just lacks the coconut and Egyptian musk (suppose I could acquire single notes of those and try my hand, eh?) ;)

If it doesn't have any of your death notes, see if you can snag a decant of Body, Remember (raw black coconut, ambergris accord, ambrette seed, champaca flower, and sugar cane) from last year's Lupers and experiment layering with that. It's a sweet, musky coconut.

A partner said last yesterday that he'd love to buy Ambre Nuit but both can't afford it and thinks it's over-priced. He remembered the notes as being Amber, Cedar and Patchouli, though looking on the web I see also rose, citrus, bergamot and others. There's an articulate review here:

http://www.thescentcritic.com/2011/06/24/christian-dior-ambre-nuit/

(I've also read others who reckon it's nice but not that special - typical, I guess).

Anyway, has anyone reading this tried it, and have you any suggestions of BPAL's he could try?

I'm looking for a scent similar to Diesel's Fuel For Life pour femme. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26125273.html <- basenotes page.

The lab's jasmine notes tend to go baby powder on me, so I'd prefer jasmine-light fragrances (if the scent sounds absolutely perfect I'll give it a go anyway).

Oddly, I've found a men's body spray by Lynx to be rather similar. The scent is called Fever. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26130540.html Heehee found it on basenotes too!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! <3

So my all time favorite perfume oil is called Devil Sex. It has been renamed now to vamp venom and was sold on vampfangs.com for a while. I can find it at all now, nor any base note information. :( it's just dissipated. It's stuff is unbelievably intoxicating. I do know it has mandarin, orange blossom, cinnamon and plum. There's more to it though. Possibly some deep white florals and other spices, but its not "spicy".

Is anyone else here familiar with it and knows of a good replacement? Kat Von D's perfume sinner is similar, ill take copies of that too :P

I have tried belle epoche, which is too one noted on my skin and is almost jammy sweet on me. Help! :D

I'm not familiar with Devil Sex, but from the notes you mentioned I'd suggest:

'Tis the Voice of the Lobster: A woody, musky-weird base glooping over with blackberry preserves, a twist of mandarin, strawberry juice, pulverized watermelon, and a handful of smushed gardenia petals.

Oya: Oya’s ofrenda is a Nigerian potion of love and war, sweetened by darkest plum.

The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil: Whiffs of cinnamon bark, almond, and spikenard surround a perfect fruit, whose scent is akin to a tamarind, with the grace of a fine grape, as warm and rich as a fresh fig, glistening red like pomegranate seeds, and as crisp as an apple.

Kuang Shi: Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood.

Al-Shairan: Clove, peach and orange with cinnamon, patchouli and dark incense notes.

Kat Von D Sinner is my favorite perfume ever. I can't imagine how good the other one you mentioned smells! I had many recommendations to try Mme Moriarty. Still doesnt compare to sinner. Sin was another and I do love it, but its pretty heavy on the patchouli. Sinner is so smoky yet sweet and the cinnamon isnt foody, just sexy! Its not real fruity and I dont get a lot of jasmine either. It's just perfection to me!

Interested in seeing other recommendations to this!

Maybe you could try to layer different oils. For the white florals I would suggest hell's belle. It is a very heavy sultry white floral on me. Not really sure what to suggest for the other part though.

My most favorite perfume of all time is Uninhibited by the diva herself, Cher. So is there anything anyone can recommend from the vast Bpal catalog that would be similar?

Now I have Gypsys Tramps and Thieves stuck in my head.

Oh my gawd! You, too? I've hoarded (don't tell anyone) three giant bottles of the stuff. And they're really expensive on eBay. I love it and get compliments when I wear it. I've never smelled anything else like it, BPAL or otherwise.

I've never tried Uninhibited, but I found a list of notes:

Top notes: bergamot, orange and aldehydes.

Heart: heliotrope, ylang-ylang, geranium, rose, jasmine and tobacco.

Base: cedar, musk, sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver.

I'll see if I can think of anything that sounds similar!

And now I have Gypsies Tramps & Thieves stuck in my head too.

Strictly from the notes -- I haven't smelled it myself -- you might want to try:

Symmakhia - Vanilla, heliotrope, red sandalwood, pear, black lily, white wine grape, and white rose.

or

Kubla Khan - opium smoke and amber tobacco, golden sandalwood, champaca, tea leaf, sugared lily, ginger, rich hay absolute, leather, dark vanilla, mandarin, peru balsam, and Moroccan jasmine.

Kubla Khan has the benefit of being GC, while Symmahkia is an LE.

(If you want to go searching through the catalog yourself, you can search by notes at BPAL.org/search.)

I always thought Uninhibited smelled kind of like licorice and rootbeer. Maybe look for a BPAL scent with vanilla and anise, or sasparilla notes?

I will try some of those out. Until Bpal the only perfumes I liked were Uninhibited and Casmir by Chopard. And now I have like 30 things I wear and am a full fledged junkie. This smells good but maybe something is better than that.........

Grandpa'd do whatever he could

Preach a little gospel, sell a couple bottles of Doctor Good

Edited by opheliatrey

hello hello!

anyone have any suggestions for Paco Rabanne XS for her? description: "This modern floral-fruity composition starts sharp and spicy with cranberry, pink peppercorn and tamarind notes around the heart of hellebore noir rose, black violet and cocoa blossom. The base notes are patchouli, Massoia wood and vanilla." It was my best friend's favorite when we were growing up, would love to find something similar!

also, Old Spice deodorant? love it on the boys...

many thanks!

Hi! Looking for a bpal match for "Voyage" by Hermes, a lemon-anise-cardamom-green tea unisex scent. It smells gorgeous on my man, and I'd rather invest in a small company rather than a large corporation.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Hermes/Voyage-d-Hermes-7916.html

....And "Le Parfum Carven" for women, which is a relatively light, white floral with hyacinth and jasmine among other notes.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Carven/Carven-Le-Parfum-17744.html

Any suggestions? :)

Edited by reina

hello hello!

anyone have any suggestions for Paco Rabanne XS for her? description: "This modern floral-fruity composition starts sharp and spicy with cranberry, pink peppercorn and tamarind notes around the heart of hellebore noir rose, black violet and cocoa blossom. The base notes are patchouli, Massoia wood and vanilla." It was my best friend's favorite when we were growing up, would love to find something similar!

also, Old Spice deodorant? love it on the boys...

many thanks!

For the original Old Spice scent, I've seen it mentioned that Villain (A classic Victorian men's cologne: a lavender fougere, with hints of lilac, lime, and citrus musk.) is similar.

I don't have Plunder to try it, but I think layering Spider from the Gaimans (White ginger, artemesia, vetiver, nutmeg, King mandarin, bergamot, and lime.) with a little Plunder ( tea leaf, cassia, cinnamon bark, clove, allspice, sandalwood, tobacco, peppercorn, and nutmeg) might work, or maybe Port-Au-Prince (buttered rum flavored with almond, bay, clove and sassafras.) or Santo Domingo (tobacco leaf, bay rum and heady Caribbean blossoms)

Herbert West or Whitechapel ( White musk, lime, lilac and citron) might work in place of Spider for the citrusy component, too. I don't know what imps you have to experiment with. =)

Hi! Looking for a bpal match for "Voyage" by Hermes, a lemon-anise-cardamom-green tea unisex scent. It smells gorgeous on my man, and I'd rather invest in a small company rather than a large corporation.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Hermes/Voyage-d-Hermes-7916.html

....And "Le Parfum Carven" for women, which is a relatively light, white floral with hyacinth and jasmine among other notes.

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Carven/Carven-Le-Parfum-17744.html

Any suggestions? :)

I am a huge BPAL fan, but I don't care for the way they do white florals...When I was a newbie I kept trying jasmine after jasmine scent before realising that jasmine was the note I hated in all of them. So I may not be the right person to answer this, but the prettiest light white floral BPAL I've tried is Pele.

Voyage sounds like it could be similar to BPAL Absinthe - wormwood essence, light mints, cardamom, anise, hyssop, and the barest hint of lemon. They don't use cardamom often enough for me, as it's one of my favourite notes, and when they do it's usually in heavy/musky scents rather than light ones.

So if anyone's been looking for a BPAL equivalent to Le Labo's outrageously expensive Labdanum 18, go directly to Haunted.

Unsure if anyone has made this comparison, but...

The closest I can find (description-wise) to Nina by Nina Ricci are the Halloweenie Apple fragrances from a few years ago, namely Silver Apple of the Moon, Green Apple of Venus, and

A close second, Coral Snake. The one issue is that there is no woody note in Coral Snake.

Maybe Croquet, as well? I wish I could do this one XD

I also wanted to add this comparison I just did of Morgause and Poison by Dior. I have a tiny tiny bottle of Poison esprit de parfum from many moons ago that I used for this comp.

Morgause (2009 vintage) vs. Poison by Dior

In bottle: Virtually the same! Really hard to tell the difference. I held both bottles up uncapped and sniffed each one in turn.

Wet: Poison goes a little sweeter while Morgause gets a little sharp; must be the incense. There is a woody element to Poison that Morgause does not have. Morgause is definitely way more floral.

Drydown: Morgause keeps its strong floral (mostly violet) and incense-y aspects and Poison gets very sweet and dark.

Additionally: Horreur Sympathique vs. Poison

Wet: HS smells nothing like Poison when wet! HS is sickly sweet as the honey and fruit notes are out swinging.

Drydown: Rather sweet smelling compared to Poison. It has a subtle darkness to it but is still an aged sweetness with a hint of floral and resin.

NOTES CHART:

________Poison by Dior (1985)____BPAL Morgause___BPAL Horreur Sympathique

PLUM_________X___________________X?__________________X

TUBEROSE_____X________________________________________

INCENSE_______X__________________X____________________

BERRIES_______X__________________X___________________X

WOOD________X________________________________________

OPOPONAX____X______________________________________X

HONEY________X_______________________________________X

JASMINE______X__________________X?___________________

RESINS________X_______________________________________X

FLORALS______X__________________X____________________X

My verdict: The wood is an important component that grounds the scent of Poison and gives it its "oriental" (I hate that term) qualities. Layer if you want something similar to Poison from the GC, is my opinion. If you have a woody tuberose fragrance, use that with Horreur Sympathique. When I layered both Morgause and HS together, it did get a little closer but I still think it needs the wood to tie it together.

Edited by sth0