Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Hmmm.. so the Australian Gold website calls it their "tropical fragrance" but doesn't list any ingredients or give any clues as to what's actually making up that fragrance. I did find an ingredients list for some of their products on the Ulta website (like this one for the self-tanning lotion, for example, which has things like Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Citronellol and Caramel in there so those would be part of the fragrance) but I can't find anything for "Sunscreen #1" - is that definitely the name of the product you used?

Oh.. and side note.. I thought perhaps this might be an Australian product - being called "Australian Gold" and all.. but, nope! Looks like it's a US-based company :huh:

My bottle says lotion / very water resistant sunscreen.

Have been to the page, too, and was surprised by the lack of information ...

Funny, the components listed are nothing my nose is picking up - well except for Flower Extract. But the rest?! :blink:

My mom's favorite perfume is an LE from another company. The notes are:

Nargarmotha, Geranium Bourbon, Cocoa Powder, Black Clove, Peru Balsam, Mallow Root, Egyptian Vanilla Musk, Egyptian Apricot

Anyone know of a BPAL that would be similar?

For the person who was looking for Elizabeth Arden Green Tea equivalents earlier, try Embalming Fluid. I find it has the "cool, sweet but not sugary feeling" that you describe.

I'm looking for recommendations similar to Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur. It's a scary intense animal musk topnote that backs off to a sort of salty vanilla/lavender/musk. It's warm and sexy and the lavender is sweet and not overly sharp and herbal. I'll buy a bottle of the real thing as soon as I'm a millionaire, but suggestions for anything that smells vaguely like it would be welcome, because I'll probably like that too :)

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent similar to Chanel's Cuir de Russie? I absolutely ADORE it, but at its cost per 1 bottle I could get several BPAL bottles that have been on my wishlist forever. <_<

Notes, according to Fragrantica:

Top: African orange flower, bergamot, mandarin

Middle: Jasmine, rose, ylang ylang

Base: Leather, birch

The leather in this is quite animalic at first, almost fecal-civet-y, but quickly blooms into this AWESOME soft spicy leather floral. Not bondage leather, but supple well-worn leather gloves you got from a chic grandmother leather. On my skin the citrus isn't very apparent, or just so well-blended with the other notes I can't tell it's there. I know Liz is a floral leather but it doesn't even compare to Cuir de Russie, and is entirely too floral (on me) anyway. Thoughts? I wouldn't be unhappy buying a bottle of CDR, but it'll just put a big dent in my BPAL budget for a while. I'm paranoid of some of my fave GCs getting DC'd as I quickly use up my decants, but my CDR decant is getting low too...

ARGH! *angsts*

EDIT: Got impatient and bought CDR anyway with no regrets. :) Yeah it'll severely cut into my BPAL/general perfume budget for the rest of the year, but it's a scent I'll wear often and have smelled nothing like it, BPAL or otherwise.

Highwayman

The 2012 Lurid Library is nearly a dead ringer for Shalimar to my nose (my mom even agreed, and Shalimar is her most-worn scent), only with a little bit of a powdery vibe overlaying.

Okay, I think it's highly unlikely that anyone's looking for a BPAL-a-like of an old-fashioned men's scent that was common in barbershops in the 40s, 50s, and 60s but here it is anyway:

The Great Sword of War smells exactly like Clubman by Pinaud. If you want to (or want your dude to) smell like Don Draper would have smelled walking out of the barbershop with a fresh shave? This is it.

Hi everyone,

Annick Goutal's Passion is one my favourite non-bpal perfumes.

I am looking for a close version among bpal oils. Anyone knows Passion?

Here are the notes:

Floral (Jasmine, ylang-ylang, tomato leave, tuberose, patchouli, oakmoss, vanilla)

Waiting your suggestions :wub2:

Hi everyone,

Annick Goutal's Passion is one my favourite non-bpal perfumes.

I am looking for a close version among bpal oils. Anyone knows Passion?

Here are the notes:

Floral (Jasmine, ylang-ylang, tomato leave, tuberose, patchouli, oakmoss, vanilla)

Waiting your suggestions :wub2:

I'm terrible with florals but the only thing I could remember sniffing/trying that had a scent that I would imagine this smells like is Aizen-Myoo, though it has a citrus component that's rather pronounced. Perhaps you could find something heavy on the patchouli, oakmoss, and vanilla to layer together with it?

Can anyone recommend something similar to kenzo amour?

It smells VERY similar to Morocco to me!

That's so weird- I like morocco in the bottle but it vanishes on me. Disappearing act- where did it go?

Kenzo amour I notice more florals and woods where morocco seems to be musky. Isn't chemistry bizarre?

Also- Espoir, I've been also looking for something that combines floral with more mossy or woody or amber undertones in the gc for a while now. I have not tried the annick goutal but it sounds up my alley.

Delight is one of my favorites ever and contains the florals. But personally as a jasmine and resin lover I haven't found a satisfactory combo. You might also try peitho, antheia, and parthenope. Lady Amalthea might also be worth a shot. Or if you can find some pannychis

That's so weird- I like morocco in the bottle but it vanishes on me. Disappearing act- where did it go?

Kenzo amour I notice more florals and woods where morocco seems to be musky. Isn't chemistry bizarre?

Hmm, try it on your hair or in a scent locket, maybe? They smelled almost exactly the same to me, but this is going off a spritz of Amour from Sephora; I don't own it so I can't do a side-by-side.

Hi Everyone!

I'm fairly new to BPAL, and I am rapidly becoming completely addicted. I'd love to draw my mom, sister, and SIL into all the smelly goodness! I thought that finding BPAL scents that are close to what I remember them wearing might be a place to start. I'm terrible at figuring out notes, but here is what I found on the Internet for the perfumes I remembering them liking. (I think my sister has moved on from her teenage scents, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to be a bit nostalgic!) Any thoughts you have on the following perfumes would be awesome!

Stella - "In the top notes there are rose oil, peony and a gentle touch of fresh tangerine. In the heart of the perfume there is rose, whose gentle scent is emphasized by the deep note of amber in the base." (A few earlier posts mentioned The Empress and Whip as possibilities for Stella. I have imps for both on order!)

Amarige by Givenchy - "The top notes are composed of fresh fruit: peach, plum, orange, mandarin, with the sweetness of rose wood and neroli. The floral bouquet, very intense and luscious, is created of mimosa, neroli, tuberose, gardenia and acacia with a gourmand hint of black currant. The warm woody base is composed of musk, sandalwood, vanilla, amber, Tonka bean and cedar." OR Notes (from Jan Moran): mandarin, neroli, violet leaves, rosewood, gardenia, red fruit, ylang-ylang, acacia farnesiana, mimosa, musk, vanilla, tonka bean, woods, ambergris.

Pleasures by Estee Lauder- Top Notes: White Lilies, Fresh Violet Leaves, Green Accord

Middle Notes: Black Lilies, White Peony, Pink Roses, Jasmine, Karo Karounde blossoms, Baie Rose

Base Notes: Sandalwood, Patchouli

L'Air du Temps by Nina Ricci - "The floral-spicy note of the carnation is in centre of its composition. Bergamot and rosewood support the development of the carnation theme, refined with the notes of rose and jasmine. Violet and iris give a powdery nuance, and create a harmony with the woodsy notes of cedar and sandal, while sensual musk and amber add the final feminine accord to the composition."

Anais Anais by Cacharel - "Transparent orange blossom with heady hyacinth open the composition. The intensive floral heart blends sweet rose, delicate white lily and magical jasmine. The base is composed of comforting amber, warm sandalwood with a tender touch of misterious incense."

THANK YOU!!

Edited for typo.

Edited by Withjoy

Okay, I think it's highly unlikely that anyone's looking for a BPAL-a-like of an old-fashioned men's scent that was common in barbershops in the 40s, 50s, and 60s but here it is anyway:

The Great Sword of War smells exactly like Clubman by Pinaud. If you want to (or want your dude to) smell like Don Draper would have smelled walking out of the barbershop with a fresh shave? This is it.

:wave:

I for one am happy to hear that comparison! I love old classic men's (and women's) scents. I've read about Clubman but never tried it. I do love Great Sword of War, though. : )

Speaking of men's scents, every time I wear Love And Pain, it reminds me of A*Men/Angel Men (which I've only smelled once or twice, but it was pretty memorable).

I love love love both Capela dos Ossos and Cat Allingham. Can anyone recommend BPAL scents that are similar? Both are very hard to find and *not* in the general catalog. Though if they were I'd kiss Beth's little buttoned-up boots. If she were wearing any.

I just had someone on my Facebook tell me that if I found a dupe for Jovan's Andron that she'd "love me forever", :lol: So I thought I'd see if anyone knew of one or might suggest something from the notes: I got this from the Basenotes site.

Jovan Andron: Top Notes

Fresh, Green and Citrus

Middle Notes

Sandalwood, Patchouli, Woody Notes

Base Notes

Civet, Musk, Ambergris, Castoreum, Androstenol [Pheromone]

Ringing a bell for anyone?

Funny, the components listed are nothing my nose is picking up - well except for Flower Extract. But the rest?! :blink:

late to reply, but I know someone mentioned that the 2009 LE Season of Ghosts smells a lot like Australian Gold sunscreen to them. Just a warning, it's pretty hard to track down.

late to reply, but I know someone mentioned that the 2009 LE Season of Ghosts smells a lot like Australian Gold sunscreen to them. Just a warning, it's pretty hard to track down.

Never too late :D Thank you, so I'll perhaps take the quest and search for it. I admit I have hopes that the Coconut Vanilla and Tiare HG is something like Australian Gold, but nobody mentioned it - sounds delicious anyway, so I ordered it ;)

You may also want to grab imps of Obatala and Elegba - they have that coconutty suntan lotion vibe - one of them may be close! I also have the coconut vanilla bean and tiare hair gloss, it actually reminds me a lot of that older perfume "Sand and sable" - it's beachy, but in a tropical coconutty beach sand kind of way. I don't know how else to describe it.

I would say obatala smells the most like Hawaiian tropic, but not sure if that smells anything like Australian Gold. worth a shot since it's GC and you can buy an imp!

Been a fan for a few years, so I finally joined the forums. Yay! Fun, yes?

So, my boyfriend's brother has this AMAZING cologne by Yves Saint Laurent called "La nuit de L' homme." However, no one makes scents of a higher quality than BPAL - and with all of the variables available of that nature, I'm sure there's one similar to it here already! Plus, it might be a little bit creepy if I ask my boyfriend to wear the same cologne as his brother, poor guy. I want it to be his own, anyway.

This is the description of "La nuit de l'homme":

The perfume is announced as one full of contrasts and tensions.

Its flacon is dark and powerful, as if it were announcing powerful ingredients it carries in itself. A veil of mystery and an explosive spicy accord reveal cardamom with sparkling freshness of bergamot, lavender and cedar, which stand for strength of men. Cumin and vetiver in a base ensure a sensual finish and an opulent, elegant closure.

If there aren't any 'matches,' please just let me know what your BPAL fragrance recs would be for a laidback guy. Right now he wears Giorgio Armani's "Acqua Di Gio" if that helps.

Thanks! :)

Oh, and it probably has to be more clearly masculine. I wear Snake Oil a lot and always thought it was very unisex. I don't know if it's just because he's used to it on me, but he considers it more feminine smelling. Again, it's probably just the association.

Edited by taliawhat

Welcome! I am so excited because I get to recommend Wilde, which is one of my favorite scents, and one that doesn't get nearly enough love. Its described as "a sophisticated traditional gentleman’s cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli’s passion, tonka bean’s decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss’ cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme," and you can find the reviews of it here.

ETA: Rumpelstilzschen also looks like it has some of the notes you're looking for: "Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh," with reviews here.

Edited by Jazzi