Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Would love to find a Bpal that smells like Armani's "Acqua di Gio" for men. That's basically all my fiance wears. Any suggestions?

Notes:

Marine Notes, Mandarin, Bergamot, Neroli, Persimmon, Rosemary, Nasturtium, Jasmine, Amber, Patchouli, Cistus.

Thanks! :)

okay- i'm trying to find something, ANYTHING that smells like Encens Mystic by Crazylibellule and the Poppies (which seems to have gone under). another signature scent of mine bites the dust. sigh. simply, it smells like a midnight mass in france. but here are the notes:

Top Notes

Clove, Cedar

Middle Notes

Incense, Myrrh, Benzoin

Base Notes

Patchouli, Vanilla, Musk

does anyone know the scent and have a similar alternative?

Edited by bogartnoir

okay- i'm trying to find something, ANYTHING that smells like Encens Mystic by Crazylibellule and the Poppies (which seems to have gone under). another signature scent of mine bites the dust. sigh. simply, it smells like a midnight mass in france. but here are the notes:

Top Notes

Clove, Cedar

Middle Notes

Incense, Myrrh, Benzoin

Base Notes

Patchouli, Vanilla, Musk

Nothing smells like Encens Mystic IMO. I love that stuff and I'm glad that I have a couple of tubes of it, but I have never found anything that smells similar. There is just something about EM that smells more like church incense, or incense period. The notes are similar to a lot of blends that I have, but the proportions make it smell so different. I think that I may need to try some layering to see if there are any combos out there that come close. I haven't really tried before, because I had the real thing, but those won't last forever. :(

Top Notes

Clove, Cedar

Middle Notes

Incense, Myrrh, Benzoin

Base Notes

Patchouli, Vanilla, Musk

Nothing smells like Encens Mystic IMO. I love that stuff and I'm glad that I have a couple of tubes of it, but I have never found anything that smells similar. There is just something about EM that smells more like church incense, or incense period. The notes are similar to a lot of blends that I have, but the proportions make it smell so different. I think that I may need to try some layering to see if there are any combos out there that come close. I haven't really tried before, because I had the real thing, but those won't last forever. :(

my last tube is running woefully low. i thought i'd just be able to buy it forever! it was so popular at sephora. i wondered what happened to the company. i was going to write them directly about encens mystic, but the websites are down. :(

so the two alternatives i was given are:

+bpals 'ave maria gratia plena'

+comme des garcons 'avignon'

any opinions?

is there any way we can send a sample of encens mystic to bpal and see if they can maybe create a viable likeness? do they do that? seriously, i need my encens mystic.

Top Notes

Clove, Cedar

Middle Notes

Incense, Myrrh, Benzoin

Base Notes

Patchouli, Vanilla, Musk

my last tube is running woefully low. i thought i'd just be able to buy it forever! it was so popular at sephora. i wondered what happened to the company. i was going to write them directly about encens mystic, but the websites are down. :(

any opinions?

is there any way we can send a sample of encens mystic to bpal and see if they can maybe create a viable likeness? do they do that? seriously, i need my encens mystic.

In answer to your last question, no, BPAL does not do customs.

I saw a review for Encens Mystic where someone mentioned Avignon, so I might order a sample from Luckyscent so that I can try it. I think that it is not as sweet, so it might need to be layered with something.

I am testing Ave Maria Gratia Plena right now and I'm really finding it to be mainly a floral.

I'm wondering if some of the woodier blends layered with something might work. I will start playing around with things tonight. Maybe Aureus or Cathedral layered with something with vanilla or a sweeter resiny blend. Ugh, so sad that Encens Mystic is gone. I bought a couple on line for $5/ea, but I didn't realize that they were disc, or I would have gotten a lot more. =(

Top Notes

Clove, Cedar

Middle Notes

Incense, Myrrh, Benzoin

Base Notes

Patchouli, Vanilla, Musk

any opinions?

In answer to your last question, no, BPAL does not do customs.

I saw a review for Encens Mystic where someone mentioned Avignon, so I might order a sample from Luckyscent so that I can try it. I think that it is not as sweet, so it might need to be layered with something.

I am testing Ave Maria Gratia Plena right now and I'm really finding it to be mainly a floral.

I'm wondering if some of the woodier blends layered with something might work. I will start playing around with things tonight. Maybe Aureus or Cathedral layered with something with vanilla or a sweeter resiny blend. Ugh, so sad that Encens Mystic is gone. I bought a couple on line for $5/ea, but I didn't realize that they were disc, or I would have gotten a lot more. =(

have you tried Cathedral? if so, what did you think? really considering it. thanks for all the help, btw. :)

have you tried Cathedral? if so, what did you think? really considering it. thanks for all the help, btw. :)

Here is part of my review from 2006 -

"This scent brings up so many images and memories. The first thing that I smell is the wood note, perhaps cedar. It reminds me of a church, but not a cathedral. It reminds me of the churches in the missions in Southern California. I can smell the San Juan Capistrano and Santa Barbara missions. It smells old, but not dusty, just old wood, aged old wood. I can smell the incense notes behind it and it conjures up images of monks in prayer in earlier centuries.

I also had an image of the woods down along the Little Sur River. I could smell the wood of the trees and the sweet smell of the leaves. The Big Sur area is like a cathedral of sorts."

It doesn't have the benzoin and vanilla from EM and I haven't tried layering them yet. On its own, it's very different from EM, but it is one of my top 10 BPALs.

Hello there!

A good while ago I bought 'Africanimal' which was a perfume that came out with MAC Naked Honey collection. It was one of those confident/sexy scents. Apparently my mom loved it even more because she kept stealing it from my drawer. Anyway, I managed to find the notes of it:

bergamot, freesia, pink pepper, honey, jasmine, orange blossom, black pepper, oud, patchouli, sandalwood, amber, frankincense, vanilla.

I personally can't smell any bergamot or freesia. It's a very heavy and heady scent with pepper, woods and honey being predominant notes. There might be some citrusy sweetness in the background but it's very faint and well blended.

I would really like to find something similar for my mom (yeah, who am I kidding, mostly for myself) to enable her even more to BPAL and I just don't feel like buying the same thing again not to mention I'm completely converted to BPAL and I can't imagine wearing anything else.

I would really appreciate your help.

Hey all,

I'm wondering if any of you BPAL experts knows of any oils similar to Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea or Green Tea Lavender perfumes?

Here are the notes:

Green Tea by Elizabeth Arden

Top Notes: Caraway, Fruity Rhubarb, Lemon, Orange Zest and Bergamot

Middle Notes: Cool Minty Peppermint, Green Tea, Sweet Jasmine, Spicy Carnation, Fresh Fennel and Crisp Celery Spice

Base Notes: Oakmoss, Musk and Amber

Green Tea Lavender by Elizabeth Arden

Top: Meyer Lemon, Sicilian Mandarin, Spearmint, Wild Chamomile

Middle: Green Tea, Oolong Tea, Organic Lavender Bulgarian Orpur, French Lavender Absolute Orpur, Chinese Magnolia

Drydown: Soft Skin Musks, Birchwood, Ambrette Seed

I'm trying to find something that has no white flowers in it (tres allergic) but still has that cool, sweet but not sugary feeling. I tried Green Tree Viper, but the snake oil didn't like me (I'm iffy on vanilla). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hello! any suggestions for what would smell like Dior Addict 2? I looked in the Dior thread, there's nothing there, and my mom and sister are both Dior Addict lovers, and I'm trying to enable all three of us at once! (yes, newbie here :P)

notes from the website: bergamot, freesia, white musk, white lotus, and pomegranate.

Thanks so much!

I looooove Kat Von D's Saint perfume, hard. Is there a BPAL equivalent? Or something similar?

Edited to add the notes, in hopes that helps;

Mirabelle Plum and mandarin are top notes. Tiare flower and caramel with jasmine are the mid. And vanilla combines with a cream type musk with sandalwood for the base.

My all time favorite BPAL scent is Jester, followed closely by Jack if that helps.

Edited by ataindre

Hey all,

I'm wondering if any of you BPAL experts knows of any oils similar to Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea or Green Tea Lavender perfumes?

I've never tried Green Tea Lavender, but I think many forumites have mentioned in their reviews how similar Shanghai is to EA's Green Tea.

In other news, I think I might be falling in love with Prada Candy. According to one of the descriptions, its notes include "an elegant mix of musks in the top, a sensual balsamic vanillic accord of benzoin in the heart and sweet modern caramel in the base of the fragrance."

In spite of the caramel, it's more cotton candy/Pink Sugar-esque on me than Red Lantern-ish et al. Any suggestions?

Edited by Ishtar

Top Notes

Clove, Cedar

Middle Notes

Incense, Myrrh, Benzoin

Base Notes

Patchouli, Vanilla, Musk

Have you checked EBay? I have found many discontinued perfumes and cosmetics on there...

Top Notes

Clove, Cedar

Middle Notes

Incense, Myrrh, Benzoin

Base Notes

Patchouli, Vanilla, Musk

Have you checked EBay? I have found many discontinued perfumes and cosmetics on there...

There has only been on one ebay for the last couple of years.....trust me on that. ;)

"This scent brings up so many images and memories. The first thing that I smell is the wood note, perhaps cedar. It reminds me of a church, but not a cathedral. It reminds me of the churches in the missions in Southern California. I can smell the San Juan Capistrano and Santa Barbara missions. It smells old, but not dusty, just old wood, aged old wood. I can smell the incense notes behind it and it conjures up images of monks in prayer in earlier centuries.

I also had an image of the woods down along the Little Sur River. I could smell the wood of the trees and the sweet smell of the leaves. The Big Sur area is like a cathedral of sorts."

It doesn't have the benzoin and vanilla from EM and I haven't tried layering them yet. On its own, it's very different from EM, but it is one of my top 10 BPALs.

If you can get your hands on silver haired Bat, that is pretty much benzoin and cedar on me - if you layered this with cathedral, it might get you closer!

... Or layer Banshee Beat with Cathedral to add the Van/Patch element.

I've never smelled EM, but based on the notes and your descriptions, it might work!

!

Edited by sharkdiver

If you can get your hands on silver haired Bat, that is pretty much benzoin and cedar on me - if you layered this with cathedral, it might get you closer!

... Or layer Banshee Beat with Cathedral to add the Van/Patch element.

I've never smelled EM, but based on the notes and your descriptions, it might work!

!

I happen to have a bottle of Silver Haired Bat thanks to my lovely faerie, so I pulled out Banshee Beat and Cathedral and tried layering them with SHB, but they are all too sweet. Encens Mystic is not very sweet. The closest I've come so far is layering a tiny bit of SHB with Empire from Haunt. Encens Mystic is just so different from anything else that I have ever had and it really does have an incense quality about it. I think that I just need to order a sample of CdG Avignon to see how it compares.

Hey all,

I've never tried Green Tea Lavender, but I think many forumites have mentioned in their reviews how similar Shanghai is to EA's Green Tea.

I never tried the Green Tea Lavender either, but used to wear EA Green Tea before BPAL, and I'd say Shanghai is pretty close, yeah. If you want a bit more citrus bite Embalming Fluid is in that ballpark too.

I tried searching, but I haven't come up with an answer to this question of mine:

Is there anything in the BPAL catalog with similarities to Hanae Mori Butterfly? These are the notes I found:

Strawberries, Bilberries, Black Currant, Bulgarian Rose, Jasmine, Ylang-Ylang, Sandalwood, Almond, Praline.

For me, this smells mainly of the praline and fruits; the flowers are barely noticeable. It's a close-wearing scent that's warm and feminine.

Butterfly fades too fast for my tastes, and has that hair-spray base that so many commercial perfumes have (that I hate), so I'm sure BPAL has something better. I'm particularly after something with the pretty praline base.

If it helps, some of my favorite "girly" BPALs are Tamora, Mouse's LAST, Belle Epoque, Maiden, Fae, and Alice.

Thanks for any thoughts or help on this one! ^_~

Edited by Rho

Butterfly is one of my favorite commercial perfumes, or at least it used to be. :) I haven't tried L'Estate in a while, but my notes on it say that it is the closest BPAL Butterfly dupe I've found. Good luck!

Butterfly is one of my favorite commercial perfumes, or at least it used to be. :) I haven't tried L'Estate in a while, but my notes on it say that it is the closest BPAL Butterfly dupe I've found. Good luck!

You are wonderful! I've never thought to try L'Estate. I will totally search some out.

Thank you for your suggestion! :D

I would love to find a BPAL equivalent to Ralph Lauren Blue for Women, It is the loveliest shower-fresh aquatic scent ever :wub2:

Top notes: lotus, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, pink peony and gardenia.

Middle notes wrap with accords of rose de Mai, tuberose and orange blossom.

Base notes: sandalwood, musk, ambrette seed vetiver and oakmoss.

I think the key notes are the white flowers (especially LOTV), the rose de Mai, sandalwood, musk and oakmoss. I was surprised to learn it has lotus, as I usually have an unpleasant reaction to smelling lotus, but I adore this scent.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Drae

Hi there!

Is there any BPAL with is similar to Australian Gold Fragrance #1? I really like the scent but obviously I don't want to slather myself with sunscreen for perfume purposes ... and I can't pinpoint what this scent is! There is some coconut in it, I think. And some fruit I can't figure out.

Picked up a bottle of this on our honeymoon in Mexico - here in Germany Australian Gold is not available in drugstores and now this is THE vacation scent for my husband and me and gives us right away this great, sunny, warm and totally relaxed honeymoon feeling. I don't know if it's common in the US - but if someone knows it and has a similar BPAL scent in mind: Tell me :wub2:

Have a nice day!

Antaria