Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Anyone who loves Benetton Colors (it was my signature perfume when I was in my early to mid-teens) should try Mastermind.

OMG, I loved that in high school!

For other scent-clone seekers...

To my nose, Snake Oil smells just like Coty Émeraude. That scent was a favorite as a child so I was really happy to have it back in my hot little hands.

Also, the much-maligned LE Numb is very much like Estée Lauder Youth-Dew. Grandma wore that one when I was small and I always liked it.

Does anyone know of any BPAL scents that are close to Chantilly by Dana? My childhood perfume collection would be complete with that one.

There had been a previous request for Emeraude by Coty, but I was hoping with additional details I might get some great scent recommendations for me to get my mom for Christmas. From Fragrantica, Emeraude by Coty is a Oriental fragrance for women. Emeraude was launched in 1921. The nose behind this fragrance is Francois Coty. Top notes are orange, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and brazilian rosewood; base notes are amber, sandalwood, patchouli, opoponax, benzoin and vanilla. My mom has been wearing this scent since the 1960s. The formulation of Emeraude seems to have changed several times, and we stopped buying it for her in the early 1990s when it became too artificial and chemical. I would love to find something in BPAL's catalog that has a similar feel.

On her, it had a green, citrussy feel when wet, but dried into a very soft romantic, not overly floral, scent. None of the notes, top, middle, or base, seemed to be dominant, and the whole thing had a rich, complex velvet scent without being too formal. She hasn't really worn any other scents, so I am not sure if any of the particular notes of Emeraude were standouts for her.

Previous recommendations from the earlier request included Snake Oil, Resurrection of the Flesh, New Orleans, Ave Maria Gratia Plena, Namaste, and The Obsidian Widow.

I am new to BPAL so any recommendations of scents that might give a similar feel would be appreciated. I am hoping to give her several imps for Christmas so GC would be appreciated. However, if you think an LE or discontinued scent would be a good match, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jessie

There had been a previous request for Emeraude by Coty, but I was hoping with additional details I might get some great scent recommendations for me to get my mom for Christmas. From Fragrantica, Emeraude by Coty is a Oriental fragrance for women. Emeraude was launched in 1921. The nose behind this fragrance is Francois Coty. Top notes are orange, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are jasmine, ylang-ylang, rose and brazilian rosewood; base notes are amber, sandalwood, patchouli, opoponax, benzoin and vanilla. My mom has been wearing this scent since the 1960s. The formulation of Emeraude seems to have changed several times, and we stopped buying it for her in the early 1990s when it became too artificial and chemical. I would love to find something in BPAL's catalog that has a similar feel.

On her, it had a green, citrussy feel when wet, but dried into a very soft romantic, not overly floral, scent. None of the notes, top, middle, or base, seemed to be dominant, and the whole thing had a rich, complex velvet scent without being too formal. She hasn't really worn any other scents, so I am not sure if any of the particular notes of Emeraude were standouts for her.

Previous recommendations from the earlier request included Snake Oil, Resurrection of the Flesh, New Orleans, Ave Maria Gratia Plena, Namaste, and The Obsidian Widow.

I am new to BPAL so any recommendations of scents that might give a similar feel would be appreciated. I am hoping to give her several imps for Christmas so GC would be appreciated. However, if you think an LE or discontinued scent would be a good match, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jessie

Let me second the recommendation of Snake Oil, which I have long maintained is reminiscent of Emeraude. Of all the BPAL scents I've tried, it comes the closest, at least to my nose. :)

Has anyone come across a BPAL scent that was similar to the old "Bone Daddy" fragrance that was sold at Hot Topic as part of their Nightmare Before Christmas stuff? Not long after I fell in love with it the formula and packaging were changed, and all the bottles up on ebay and that I can find are the new kind. I have no idea how to describe it, except it's dead sexy. I've been around BPAL for a while and I still have no idea what this is. Vetiver? musk? black amber????? My bottle is not quite uniformly rectangular, sorta slanted, clear frosted glass with a tubular brushed aluminum lid and the box it came in was like a squished and stretched cube, looked like a diamond from the top. I REALLY want to smell like this again. Help!

I've tried doing a search, but have come up empty.. has anyone found a match for this one? For what it's worth, Bone Daddy smelled like a fresher/less cologne-y version of Drakkar Noir on my boyfriend at the time.

Or, for my own sake, the old version of Rag Doll.. which was my signature scent until they changed formulas, as Argyle mentioned. (The new one smells similar, but it's almost like they have diluted it ridiculously. It now smells like a cheap perfume as opposed to a beautiful but inexpensive perfume.)

There had been a previous request for Emeraude by Coty, but I was hoping with additional details I might get some great scent recommendations for me to get my mom for Christmas.

My recommendation: Haunted. It has the same citrusy opening and amber-y drydown.

Can anybody please recommend a BPAL that smells like Bath & Body Works' Sinful Vanilla lotion? They've cleared out all their Halloween stuff everywhere I've looked and I foolishly only bought one little bottle of it that I'm sure to use up by the end of the year at this rate. I'm not experienced at trying to pick out notes. I guess it would be a dark vanilla with some sort of subtle spicy notes, but on me, it sort of smells like a softer Calvin Klein's Obsession. Thanks in advance. (Also thanks to LiberAmoris for the mention of Mastermind, because I've really missed Colors! I hope you're saying it smells like the one from the late '80s.)

Edited by boomtownrat

boomtownrat....for dark and spicy vanilla, you should try Snake Oil or Madame Moriarty. They are pretty much must-try bpal scents although not everyone likes them. I haven't smelled the lotion you're talking about, though.

Love your icon, I love Klaus Nomi!

boomtownrat....for dark and spicy vanilla, you should try Snake Oil or Madame Moriarty. They are pretty much must-try bpal scents although not everyone likes them. I haven't smelled the lotion you're talking about, though.

Love your icon, I love Klaus Nomi!

Thanks for the recommendation and for the icon compliment! Those are two of the scents I was already curious about, so thanks for telling me I'm on the right track. :)

For fellow Angel lovers, try mixing Banshee Beat with Xiuhtecuhtli. It is an exact likeness of Thierry Muglers Angel.

I also tried an imp of Tweedledum the other day, and it smelled a lot like Angel, too, but nothing like the above combo. Tweedledum is a lighter Angel, perhaps along the lines of Angel Innocent. HTH ;)

I got the Obsession impression from Baghdad (amber, saffron, bergamot, mandarin, nutmeg, Bulgar rose, musk and sandalwood).

Does anyone know of any BPAL scents that are close to Chantilly by Dana? My childhood perfume collection would be complete with that one.

I love Chantilly. My Gran wore it all the time, and anyone who knows me knows I LOVE grandma scents! I still use the dusting powder in the summer.

To me, it's a musky, powdery, floral. She feels like kin to Haunted, Snake Oil (but SO's way sweeter), Inez, and Antique Lace. I want to add All in a Golden Afternoon for some reason, but I've only sniffed it once.

For nostalgia's sake, I would love to find a BPAL scent that's reminiscent of Dream by the Gap. The notes I found for it are:

Dream: High notes of freesia, combined with fresh florals including violet, jasmine, orange flower and floating clouds.

I think the star notes are the Freesia and orange blossom, and the "cloud" note may be ozone-ish? It seems there are not a lot of Bpal scents featuring Freesia, especially paired with orange blossom or ozone notes(or they are discontinued/LE, like Naiad which was suggested on the board)

Any suggestions?

Edited by Drae

I love Chantilly. My Gran wore it all the time, and anyone who knows me knows I LOVE grandma scents! I still use the dusting powder in the summer.

Run, don't walk, to the BPAL website and order Jacob's Ladder from the Yule LEs. It is SO much like Chantilly, you won't believe it! Sweet amber deliciousness.

Hello!

Was wondering if anyone new of any BPAL scent that is close to Urban Decay's long discontinued Sin.

That was my favorite scent ever, and so wish I could find something like it....

Thanks!

Ll

I found the notes for it online...

Urban Decay "Sin":

This dangerously heady perfume oil is a sexy love potion. It elicits desire and intoxicates the senses with a sweet blood orange top note and a single floral middle note of jasmine grandiflorum from India, a potent aphrodisiac. Seductive base notes of sandalwood and warm vanilla are offset by exotic myrrh and a hint of earthy oakmoss; a natural nocturnal essence with a mysterious, campfire-like crispness.

* Notes: Sweet Blood Orange, Jasmine Grandiflorum, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Myrrh, Oakmoss.

* Style: Seductive. Heady. Sexy.

Edited by rawgirl75

I love Urban Decay's Sin - one of my favorite pre-BPAL perfumes and one of the few that I've hung on to!

I haven't found a perfect duplicate of it (and I have tried lots of BPAL) - but I think you could get close by layering different scents. Despite the notes that UD listed for it, it's mostly vanilla and cinnamony spices on me although there's a hint of florals and musk. I'm thinking a strong vanilla scent layered with a spicy one might at least give you something similar. Maybe Dorian or Detestable Putrescence (from the Gris Grimley scents) for a vanilla base, depending on how sweet you want it to be, and then something like Chimera or Bengal for the spicy notes. I have to put this on my "experiments to conduct" list ;)

I know it was mentioned before, but that was back in 06, and there may be newer suggestions, so I wanted to ask, since I will probably never afford any, and have never smelled any, what smells similar to Vol De Nuit?

I know it was mentioned before, but that was back in 06, and there may be newer suggestions, so I wanted to ask, since I will probably never afford any, and have never smelled any, what smells similar to Vol De Nuit?

I have a little decant of vintage VdN, and I just tried some on to reply here. I bet there is something in the bpal catalog but I can't think off the top of my head which one.

At first I was thinking The Harp of Cnoc I'Chosgair but I don't think that's quite right. That might be closer to Samsara with its vanilla and sandalwood.

Vol de Nuit is a light, spicy, powdery floral with amber and galbanum which is kind of a greenish resin note. I bet someone has an amber Chaos Theory that smells like it. But I'm still feeling like there's something GC that might work. I just don't know the powdery florals very well.

Edit: You know what.....after a while I realized, it is reminding me of Silk Road, except I think Silk Road has more spices. I know that's discontinued, sorry.

Edited by Forspecial Plate

I have a little decant of vintage VdN, and I just tried some on to reply here. I bet there is something in the bpal catalog but I can't think off the top of my head which one.

At first I was thinking The Harp of Cnoc I'Chosgair but I don't think that's quite right. That might be closer to Samsara with its vanilla and sandalwood.

Vol de Nuit is a light, spicy, powdery floral with amber and galbanum which is kind of a greenish resin note. I bet someone has an amber Chaos Theory that smells like it. But I'm still feeling like there's something GC that might work. I just don't know the powdery florals very well.

Edit: You know what.....after a while I realized, it is reminding me of Silk Road, except I think Silk Road has more spices. I know that's discontinued, sorry.

I really appreciate you taking the time to sniff and reply! I never did try Silk Road, maybe I could find it though :)

Hi, everyone!

As as head-over-heels-in-love newbie, I am looking forward to spending some of my post-holiday money on my second BPAL purchase! :D I am planning on splurging and buying 25 imps (*yikes!*) and bottles of Haunted and Morocco, but I am still trying to narrow down my imp selection.

I read a post the other day the mentioned Boucheron, which brought back so many memories, as it is a perfume that my mother wore. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a similar scent...? I've tried to hunt one down, but I imagine that you all might be more familiar than I with the numerous concoctions and their elements! :lol: Boucheron is a beautiful, sophisticated oriental. These are the specific notes for this fragrance:

Top Notes

Lemon, Basil, Orange Blossom, Bergamot

Middle Notes

Tuberose, Geranium, Iris, Sandalwood

Base Notes

Tonka Bean, Civet, Oakmoss, Benzoin

Thank you in advance for your help, and happy holidays!

-Glambie

Hi, everyone!

As as head-over-heels-in-love newbie, I am looking forward to spending some of my post-holiday money on my second BPAL purchase! :D I am planning on splurging and buying 25 imps (*yikes!*) and bottles of Haunted and Morocco, but I am still trying to narrow down my imp selection.

I read a post the other day the mentioned Boucheron, which brought back so many memories, as it is a perfume that my mother wore. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a similar scent...? I've tried to hunt one down, but I imagine that you all might be more familiar than I with the numerous concoctions and their elements! :lol: Boucheron is a beautiful, sophisticated oriental. These are the specific notes for this fragrance:

Top Notes

Middle Notes

Base Notes

-Glambie

(EDIT: My apologies for posting this a million times! :blush: Each time I submitted my post, the connection crashed, so I thought that it didn't go through. So of course, I hit the "back" button each time and reposted. lol! I'm not sure how to delete my post, so I beg your humble forgiveness!)

Edited by Glambie

Hi, everyone!

Top Notes

Middle Notes

Base Notes

-Glambie

(EDIT: My apologies for posting this a million times! :blush: Each time I submitted my post, the connection crashed, so I thought that it didn't go through. So of course, I hit the "back" button each time and reposted. lol! I'm not sure how to delete my post, so I beg your humble forgiveness!)

Edited by Glambie

Hi, everyone!

Top Notes

Middle Notes

Base Notes

-Glambie

Edited by Glambie