Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Anything to recommend similar to Fresh's Brown Sugar? I particularly love the tangerine top note in this one.

Brown Sugar: Sparkling citruses of Sicilian lemon, tangerine, and acai berry are sprinkled with sheer caramel and sugared magnolia for an invigorating fragrance reminiscent of the iconic scent of Fresh's original, all-natural Brown Sugar Body Polish. Notes: Sicilian Lemon, Tangerine, Acai Berries, Sugared Magnolia, Honeysuckle, Peach Nectar Caramel, Warm Amber, Cypress. Style: Invigorating. Effervescent. Sugar-like.

Does anyone know of a BPAL oil that is similar to Fendi Theorema EDP? I used to borrow this from my mom, and it has the most wonderful warm, spicy, deliciously-sweet-without-being-too-foody scent. The official notes are:

Top- tangerine, orange, eglantine rose

Heart- jasmine petals, red pepper, cinnamon, osmanthus

Base- cream, sandalwood, musk, amber, ground spice

I never got much of the rose, but the sweet citrus fruits, jasmine, and cinnamon were prominent, as well as the base notes. It manages to be close to a vanilla scent without actually having any vanilla in it. I absolutely loved this scent, but sadly it's been discontinued, so I can't just go buy a bottle of it. Does anyone know of anything similar?

I know it's not perfect but how about...

The Haunted Palace:

The moment before the ruin, frozen. The scent of captured glory, of glowing pearls and rubies, of golden sunlit joy and regal grandeur: red rose, Tunisian amber, blood orange, toasted vanilla, heliotrope, gardenia and red musk.

Layered with:

Bengal:A sultry and unruly blend that emulates the ambient scent of the markets in ancient Bengal: skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.

.purchase 5ml.

Thank you! Bengal is on my "to try" list, and The Haunted Palace sounds so lovely. It seems like them might combine to create something similar, or at the least, something that smells wonderful. :)

You're welcome! I'd be interested to know if it comes close, The Haunted Palace is beautiful, but sadly on me...just ROSE.

I got my hands on the Haunted Palace and I love it! Thank you so much for the recommendation. I don't yet have a sample of Bengal, but I might try layering it with Snake Oil or something else sweet and spicy. It has the right balance of amber/rosey florals/citrus to get close to Fendi Theorema.

I'm having a fit of nostalgia for an old perfume, I'm pretty sure it was New West.

These are the notes for New West:

Top Note: Calone, Watermelon

Middle Note: Galbanum, Hyacinth, Lily, Spearmint

Base Note: Cedarwood, Oakmoss, Musk, Amber

Does anyone know of a similar Bpal? From memory it was like a beautifully cool juicy fresh breeze in the desert.

ETA: ok, so some sites say this one also has leather in it. So I guess what I'm looking for is cowboy eating watermelon in desert surrounded by cactus. That's not too specific is it?

51 came to mind immediately.

Luminescent, glowing, and otherworldly: green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

It starts off as kind of a fruity floral, but dries down to a wonderful sophisticated musk. Don't know how similar 51 actually is to New West, but it does have some notes in common and it is very "melon in the desert" IMO.

I'm having a fit of nostalgia for an old perfume, I'm pretty sure it was New West.

These are the notes for New West:

Top Note: Calone, Watermelon

Middle Note: Galbanum, Hyacinth, Lily, Spearmint

Base Note: Cedarwood, Oakmoss, Musk, Amber

Does anyone know of a similar Bpal? From memory it was like a beautifully cool juicy fresh breeze in the desert.

ETA: ok, so some sites say this one also has leather in it. So I guess what I'm looking for is cowboy eating watermelon in desert surrounded by cactus. That's not too specific is it?

51 came to mind immediately.

Luminescent, glowing, and otherworldly: green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

It starts off as kind of a fruity floral, but dries down to a wonderful sophisticated musk. Don't know how similar 51 actually is to New West, but it does have some notes in common and it is very "melon in the desert" IMO.

thanks beliefunwrought :smile: I have 51 and I love it. I think New West might have an ozone note which would account for my 'breeze in the desert' association whereas 51 seems more of a 'still night in the desert' but it is very close. I might try layering 51 with lightning :think:

My friend's birthday is next month, and I want to get her into the world of BPAL. I don't know much about her likes and dislikes when it comes to scents, but I do know that she adores Clinique Happy. So I was wondering if any of you lovely people knew of any GC oils that were like Clinique Happy. They don't have to be exact or anything- even just recommendations in the same family.

Clinique Happy - Notes: Ruby Red Grapefruit, Boysenberry Bush Flower, Hawaiian Wedding Flower

A hint of citrus. A wealth of flowers. A mix of emotions. Clinique's best-selling women's fragrance interplays fresh, vibrant notes—ruby red grapefruit, bergamot—with soft, sensual ones—Hawaiian wedding flower, spring mimosa. Wear it and be happy.

TIA! You guys are the best! :wub2:

My friend's birthday is next month, and I want to get her into the world of BPAL. I don't know much about her likes and dislikes when it comes to scents, but I do know that she adores Clinique Happy. So I was wondering if any of you lovely people knew of any GC oils that were like Clinique Happy. They don't have to be exact or anything- even just recommendations in the same family.

Clinique Happy - Notes: Ruby Red Grapefruit, Boysenberry Bush Flower, Hawaiian Wedding Flower

A hint of citrus. A wealth of flowers. A mix of emotions. Clinique's best-selling women's fragrance interplays fresh, vibrant notes—ruby red grapefruit, bergamot—with soft, sensual ones—Hawaiian wedding flower, spring mimosa. Wear it and be happy.

I haven't tried too many BPAL oils yet and I don't know Happy, but Night-Gaunt and Aizen-Myoo are two I have that she might like, based on the description. They both start out with strong citrus (grapefruit or yuzu) and fade to a floral: more of a pure floral (I smell gardenia) for Night-Gaunt, a mixed fruity one for Aizen-Myoo.

I've always liked Clinique Happy, and I do like Aizen-Myoo. It's really weird while wet - I guess that's the yuzu. But drydown is pretty. I've heard people say Xiuheticutli (or however the heck it's spelled) is similar to Happy, although I haven't smelled X for a really long time, so I couldn't say...

I haven't tried too many BPAL oils yet and I don't know Happy, but Night-Gaunt and Aizen-Myoo are two I have that she might like, based on the description. They both start out with strong citrus (grapefruit or yuzu) and fade to a floral: more of a pure floral (I smell gardenia) for Night-Gaunt, a mixed fruity one for Aizen-Myoo.

I've always liked Clinique Happy, and I do like Aizen-Myoo. It's really weird while wet - I guess that's the yuzu. But drydown is pretty. I've heard people say Xiuheticutli (or however the heck it's spelled) is similar to Happy, although I haven't smelled X for a really long time, so I couldn't say...

Thanks for the recs! I happen to have an imp of Aizen-Myoo, so I'll have to get that out and see what I think. I haven't smelled Happy in forever since she moved, but maybe I'll make a trip to the mall or something and see if I can smell it. And I'll definitely have to check out X......whatever... It's been on my wishlist anyway, so I wouldn't feel weird tracking down an imp. :yum:

Thanks again! You guys rock!

Okay, I realize this is a long shot, but has anyone here tried Aria by Missoni, and can you recommend a BPAL scent that resembles it? My mom was given a big bottle of it when I was in junior high and I promptly stole it and wore it constantly. It was so beautiful, people would stop me in the street to ask me what I was wearing.

The notes, according to Fragrantica, are:

Top notes: pineapple, banana, raspberry, peach, bergamot and lemon

Middle notes: carnation, tuberose, jasmine, ylang-ylang, lily-of-the-valley and rose

Base notes: sandalwood, tonka bean, amber, musk, vanilla and cedar.

Of course, not all those notes were apparent. I remember it as predominantly fruity-floral with a base of sandalwood and musk. The fruity top was heavy on the raspberry, peach, and bergamot, and the tuberose was really the standout floral. It was GORGEOUS.

The best match I can come up with, BPAL-wise, is Tamora, and that's slightly similar, but not too much. I did a search for "peach and tuberose" and got Philommeides, which I think I remember trying, but it obviously wasn't similar enough to ping my radar. And now, of course, I don't know where the decant is to try it again. Eh, it had osmanthus, which means it probably didn't work on me anyway.

So...anyone? :beg:

I've no idea if anyone has had the same experience, but on me 51 has a strong resemblance to Prescriptives Calyx. I've also noticed a similarity between Hermia and Chanel Chance.

Hermia and Chanel Chance = yes, exactly! Hermia is stronger and richer though. That may be the amber. It could also be that I'm slathering the oil on. :blush:

^-- I used to like Clinique's Happy (and particularly Happy Heart). Might have to try out Xiuhtecuhtli sometime. :)

I'm looking for something incredibly simple, and yet I don't think BPAL has anything similar to it at the moment. Dorkily, I first got Sephora's Vanilla Cupcake body wash as a b-day sample from them. It's so freaking delicious. The description is pretty straightforward -

Sweetly decadent accords of French vanilla and almond, a delicious mix that joins subtle notes of honey and buttermilk.

I'm not normally a foody person, but it smells exactly like vanilla cream and honey. It's delicate and very edible-smelling. I don't get much almond from it, thankfully, as it normally turns into demonic cherries on me - however, I wouldn't mind a scent that had these notes as well as something nutty.

Just for reference, I have tried BPAL's #1 GC foody scent, Eat Me, but that was overly cloying on me.

^-- I used to like Clinique's Happy (and particularly Happy Heart). Might have to try out Xiuhtecuhtli sometime. :)

I'm looking for something incredibly simple, and yet I don't think BPAL has anything similar to it at the moment. Dorkily, I first got Sephora's Vanilla Cupcake body wash as a b-day sample from them. It's so freaking delicious. The description is pretty straightforward -

Sweetly decadent accords of French vanilla and almond, a delicious mix that joins subtle notes of honey and buttermilk.

I'm not normally a foody person, but it smells exactly like vanilla cream and honey. It's delicate and very edible-smelling. I don't get much almond from it, thankfully, as it normally turns into demonic cherries on me - however, I wouldn't mind a scent that had these notes as well as something nutty.

Just for reference, I have tried BPAL's #1 GC foody scent, Eat Me, but that was overly cloying on me.

the two that come to mind are dana o'shea and cake smash. cake smash on me was way too sweet/cloying but it's definitely cake and it seems to behave better on other people. that and i just don't like smelling like a cake. dana o'shea was much lighter and less intense, but it's more milk and grains though it does have a sweet vanilla feel to it.

I love that stuff! YUM. Detestable Putrescence... yes, I really think it's a close match. PMing you. :)

I'm looking for a BPAL scent that smells like Love's Rain. Anyone remember that? It was very popular in the 70's and early 80's. An online site said it had the following notes:

* Mossy woods

* Citrus

* Greenery

It was a beautiful scent but had little throw or longevity. I'm sure BPAL could do it better. Any ideas?

ETA: I found another site that described it as "an aquatic musk fragrance for women. The soft accords of green florals, watery nuances play with the base of sweet smelling musk." It is still being made and sold (now by Dana), but I'd prefer the much higher quality of BPAL in a similar scent.

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

I'm also looking for a BPAL scent that resembles White Shoulders, which is described as:

Top- Neroli, Tuberose, Aldehydes

Middle- Gardenia, Jasmine, Orris, Lily of the Valley, Rose, Lilac

Base- Sandalwood, Amber, Musk, Oakmoss, Civet, Benzoin

Someone asked about this much earlier in this thread, but I don't think the recommendation given at that time (in 2007) is still available. Can anyone recommend a scent that is available now? Thank you!

the two that come to mind are dana o'shea and cake smash. cake smash on me was way too sweet/cloying but it's definitely cake and it seems to behave better on other people. that and i just don't like smelling like a cake. dana o'shea was much lighter and less intense, but it's more milk and grains though it does have a sweet vanilla feel to it.

Unfortunately Cake Smash was quite cloying on me as well, and Dana O'Shee was definitely more milk-oriented (plus it had almonds, which are insta-death). Thanks for the recs though - going to give Detestable Putrescence a shot!

Ghost - I haven't smelled Love's Rain, but if you want a green aquatic Caliban is quite good. It's sort of like wet grass and flowers, which is ages away from its description (the scent of the salty seas, bittersweet wine, palm and tropical ferns) but seriously. It's not that funky at all.

R'lyeh also might be a match if you're looking for the citrus component. It's another one that sounds scary (a hellishly dark aquatic scent, evocative of fathomless oceanic deeps, the mysteries of madness buried under crushing black waters, and the brooding eternal evil that lies beneath the waves) but almost everyone gets grapefruit + aquatics.

And finally, when you said "aquatic musk" I immediately thought of Y'ha-nthlei. It's not foresty, but the sweet ambergris mixed with the watery notes make it very dreamy and musk-like, while still maintaining a citrus and sea-like kick. It's one of my favorites.

Unfortunately Cake Smash was quite cloying on me as well, and Dana O'Shee was definitely more milk-oriented (plus it had almonds, which are insta-death). Thanks for the recs though - going to give Detestable Putrescence a shot!

Ghost - I haven't smelled Love's Rain, but if you want a green aquatic Caliban is quite good. It's sort of like wet grass and flowers, which is ages away from its description (the scent of the salty seas, bittersweet wine, palm and tropical ferns) but seriously. It's not that funky at all.

R'lyeh also might be a match if you're looking for the citrus component. It's another one that sounds scary (a hellishly dark aquatic scent, evocative of fathomless oceanic deeps, the mysteries of madness buried under crushing black waters, and the brooding eternal evil that lies beneath the waves) but almost everyone gets grapefruit + aquatics.

And finally, when you said "aquatic musk" I immediately thought of Y'ha-nthlei. It's not foresty, but the sweet ambergris mixed with the watery notes make it very dreamy and musk-like, while still maintaining a citrus and sea-like kick. It's one of my favorites.

Thank you, Balame! I'll give all 3 of those a try. I know what you mean about ones that sound scary. I got a frimp of Smokestack and I was almost afraid to open it! I saved it till last and finally tried it yesterday. It turned out to be amazing and really rather gorgeous!

When I first started with BPAL (lo, those many moons ago) I was looking for a replacement for my beloved Usiku by Jo Wood (an organic perfume out of the UK which stopped shipping to North America, for some reason) with a 9-month expiration date. :cry2: Notes:

Top notes of rosemary and pine needle combine with a spicy hit of cardamom and hot ginger. A complex heart of coriander, clove and clary sage. Aromatic woody aromas of Moroccan cedarwood, patchouli and vetiver on the base.

This blend went down to basenotes very quickly, but retained the cardamom, clove and ginger for a good three hours. Amazing sillage...

Anyhoodle, I'm trying to find a BPAL replacement. I have tried, and liked: Plunder, Bezoar, Clemence, Pickled Imp, WILF, Snake Oil, Old Demons of the First Class, Sin, The Smiling Spider, Bengal, Kathmandu, Morocco, Port Royal and Sri Lanka. But none of these are quite doing the trick. Any recommendations?

Top notes of rosemary and pine needle combine with a spicy hit of cardamom and hot ginger. A complex heart of coriander, clove and clary sage. Aromatic woody aromas of Moroccan cedarwood, patchouli and vetiver on the base.

Sounds like dark, spicy woods? I'm reminded of Count Dracula, but he's an old LE so may be difficult to track down (black patchouli, neroli, tonka, cinnamon, bitter clove, leather, black musk, coffin wood and fiery ginger). Maybe Pallas Athene (antiqued amber, cumin, saffron, frankincense, Atlas cedar, myrrh, mandarin, Ceylon cinnamon bark, and osmanthus)? Aaand The Great He-Goat (Haitian vetiver, Egyptian amber, carnation, black musk, pomegranate, patchouli, and smoked ginger).

Sounds like dark, spicy woods? I'm reminded of Count Dracula, but he's an old LE so may be difficult to track down (black patchouli, neroli, tonka, cinnamon, bitter clove, leather, black musk, coffin wood and fiery ginger). Maybe Pallas Athene (antiqued amber, cumin, saffron, frankincense, Atlas cedar, myrrh, mandarin, Ceylon cinnamon bark, and osmanthus)? Aaand The Great He-Goat (Haitian vetiver, Egyptian amber, carnation, black musk, pomegranate, patchouli, and smoked ginger).

Thanks for your thoughts, Balame! I was already planning to pick up Pallas Athene when the Halloweenies are available, and now I have a decant of the Great He-Goat on the way from another forumite.

Would love any help finding a similar scent to Chloe EDP.

Here's the perfume pyramid

Top notes: Peony, Freesia, Litchi

Middle notes: Rose, Lily of the valley, Magnolia

Base notes: Amber, Virginia Cedar

Any BPAL scents like Tom Ford's Black Orchid?

Notes are black truffle, ylang ylang, bergamot, black currant, black orchid, rich fruit accord, spicy floral accord, lotus wood, patchouli, incense, vetiver, vanilla, balsam, sandalwood.

After a bit of thinking, I realized I should add that I don't want a bpal as complex. Just similar to the dirty but beautiful, challenging but sexy, tough yet feminine kind of vibe. My least favorite notes are the "rich fruits".

Edited by glassdeer

Anyone who loves Benetton Colors (it was my signature perfume when I was in my early to mid-teens) should try Mastermind.

Prince Lir strongly reminds me of Obsession by Calvin Klein (which I'm familiar with because my aunt loves it). Perhaps a touch greener on me. Take a look at my review if interested.

I'm looking for stand ins of the following:

Givenchy Play

Katy Perry Purr

Wonderstruck by Taylor Swift

Vera Wang Rock Princess

edit: OH and also Flowerbomb

Also, i'd like to thank everyone who already posted in this thread for answering my questions regarding other stand ins already. Super helpful, thanks!

Edited by cjheth