Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I'm looking for a BPAL that smells like Song of India's Liquid Amber. I've tried Jacob's Ladder which was really great amber under a whole pile of baby oil and O which I found kinda rancid. I've also tried quite a few blends with amber which are nice but I want something that's more in your face AMBER.

Thanks for any help!

Does anyone know of a BPAL oil that is similar to Fendi Theorema EDP? I used to borrow this from my mom, and it has the most wonderful warm, spicy, deliciously-sweet-without-being-too-foody scent. The official notes are:

Top- tangerine, orange, eglantine rose

Heart- jasmine petals, red pepper, cinnamon, osmanthus

Base- cream, sandalwood, musk, amber, ground spice

I never got much of the rose, but the sweet citrus fruits, jasmine, and cinnamon were prominent, as well as the base notes. It manages to be close to a vanilla scent without actually having any vanilla in it. I absolutely loved this scent, but sadly it's been discontinued, so I can't just go buy a bottle of it. Does anyone know of anything similar?

I know it's not perfect but how about...

The Haunted Palace:

The moment before the ruin, frozen. The scent of captured glory, of glowing pearls and rubies, of golden sunlit joy and regal grandeur: red rose, Tunisian amber, blood orange, toasted vanilla, heliotrope, gardenia and red musk.

Layered with:

Bengal:A sultry and unruly blend that emulates the ambient scent of the markets in ancient Bengal: skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.

.purchase 5ml.

Thank you! Bengal is on my "to try" list, and The Haunted Palace sounds so lovely. It seems like them might combine to create something similar, or at the least, something that smells wonderful. :)

You're welcome! I'd be interested to know if it comes close, The Haunted Palace is beautiful, but sadly on me...just ROSE.

Continuing the Fendi theme...anyone know anything that comes anywhere near Fendi Palazzo?

The woody floral composition brings us scents of Mediterranean breeze, intoxicates us with sweetly fresh notes of mandarin and bergamot, and a spicy touch of pink pepper. The heart is seductive and luscious, very feminine. It opens with notes of orange blossom, sweet and intensive jasmine and two real seductresses – Turkish and Bulgarian rose. The base brings sophisticated woodsy notes of patchouli, Guaiac wood and warm sandal wood.

On me it smelt nothing like roses btw.

Edited by cinnamonmel

I'm not sure if it will work as well for others, because my skin chemistry seems to be a bit unique, but Lyonesse seems to be very similar to Burberry Brit on me.

Lyonesse: Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss.

Burberry Brit: Italian Lime, Icy Pear, Green Almond, White Peony, Sugared Almonds, Amber, Mahogany, Vanilla, Tonka Bean.

So, the only notes that actually correspond are amber, sandalwood vs mahogany, and vanilla. I don't get any almonds, florals, or fruits from BB. BB does seem just a little more earthy to me, though. I attribute that to the mahogany.

Lyonesse is a spicy oriental for me, for what it's worth.

Does anyone know what might be close to Hermes Elixir de Merveilles? I just bought a bottle, but would much rather support a small independent company.

From Fragrantica:

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes is a Oriental Fougere fragrance for women. The fragrance features peru balsam, vanilla sugar, amber, sandalwood, tonka bean, patchouli, siam resin, caramel, oak, incense, orange peel and cedar.

The beginning is a dry, dark orange that dries down to spicy, almost salty woods. I get no balsam or caramel out of this, but there is a hint of dark, bitter chocolate at first spray. This has been the only orange scent in my life I've been able to wear without it going rancid--hence my immediate purchase--but if BPAL has a similar offering I'd rather go that route. That and one bottle of this could buy me several BPALs.... <_<

Thanks! :3

Edited by thatbrownelf

Could anyone help me find a (specifically GC) BPAL similar to Posset's The Scent of Angels? I know that comparisons have been drawn between Antique Lace/Snow White, but am looking for something a little less coveted & more permanent that I can include in an imp pack.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

ETA (not very telling) scent description:

The lingering odor of sanctity, The Scent of Angels is truly a magnificent and heartbreakingly beautiful perfume. This is what you would imagine you could smell after angels had disappeared. Is it vanilla, is it floral, is it musk? Is it all of those things or is the combination more than the sum of its parts? In any case you will say it is stunning and leave it at that. Imagine one small down feather floating downward after an angel has flitted through your life.

Characteristics are mainly vanilla, musk, floral.

Edited by birthdaycake

Could anyone help me find a (specifically GC) BPAL similar to Posset's The Scent of Angels?

I'm going to keep an eye on replies to this, because I really like Scent of Angels.. but I find Possets' oils just don't have the quality of BPAL's and that particular one doesn't last long on my skin.

And also because every time I try Scent of Angels, it drives me nuts because all I can think of is "which BPAL does this remind me of?!?" - I know there is a BPAL, but I can't place it!

Could anyone help me find a (specifically GC) BPAL similar to Posset's The Scent of Angels?

I'm going to keep an eye on replies to this, because I really like Scent of Angels.. but I find Possets' oils just don't have the quality of BPAL's and that particular one doesn't last long on my skin.

And also because every time I try Scent of Angels, it drives me nuts because all I can think of is "which BPAL does this remind me of?!?" - I know there is a BPAL, but I can't place it!

I know what you mean. There's something Dorian-ish in it to my nose, but that *could* just be my skin.

Any suggestions for something similar to Calvin Klein's Contradiction for Women? Sandalwood, pink pepper, tonka bean, rose, satin wood ... On me it is fresh and woody with soft clean and powdery dry down.

The two BPAL scents that came to my mind immediately when reading the notes, as well as your description of how the scent smells on you:

Belle Epoque: Belle Epoque: "The Pretty Era", France's Golden Time: an age of beauty, innovation and peace in France that lasted from the 19th Century through the first World War and gave birth to the cabaret, the cancan, and the cinema as well as the Impressionist and Art Nouveau movements. Sweet opium, Lily of the Valley, vanilla, mandarin and red sandalwood.

and

Ouija: Lush parlor rooms draped in thick velvets and gilded in gold, unearthly whispering in the distance, fleeting flashes of wraithlike figures rushing just outside your vision, the chill of a phantom presence brushing by your cheek, the inscrutable knowledge that disembodied eyes are peering at you from darkened corners… this is the essence of Victorian-era spiritualism: rosewood, oak and teak notes with wispy blue lilac, tea rose, dried white rose and ethereal osmanthus.

These blends are both GC and easy to get a hold of. I have to admit that I have never smelled "Contradiction", but these two scents dry down fresh and somewhat powdery with a woody background on me.

I've never tried that perfume, but these came to mind when reading your description:

*The Little Wooden Doll (Marchen) - "Gently carved wood warm with a maternal love that reaches beyond death: rose-infused amber and soft golden sandalwood."

*Vasilissa (Marchen) - "Creamy skin musk and blushing pink musk with soft sandalwood, white amber, dutiful myrrh, and star jasmine."

It has been a looong time since I have worn Contradiction, but if I remember correctly Morocco has a similar feel: "The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia."

It's worth a try!

So I'm also wondering about something that might smell similar to B&BW's Sea Island Cotton or Japanese Cherry Blossom.

Wensleydale seems to sound like what I get from Sea Island Cotton- more of a soapy, fresh, clean scent.

I was looking for scents with notes of cherry blossom but reading the reviews of them seem like that particular note isn't as strong as some of the others in that blend.

For Sea Island Cotton, you might also want to try The Pool of Tears (from the Mad Tea Party):

A sea of salty tears drowning out Alice's light floral perfume.

It's not an exact match--Sea Island Cotton smells almost exactly like clean, wet cotton laundry that's been washed in Tide to me--but it does have that laundry-ish vibe to it. Despite the description, it's not a typical aquatic because I can't generally wear those but this works beautifully on me. It does have a bit of saltiness to it, but it's not distracting. And it's not all that floral, either. It smells like clean laundry that's been lightly spritzed with lavender water.

As always, though, your chemistry may vary.

Found this by happy accident--Unveiled smells EXACTLY like Chanel Coco on dry down. So much so that I had double-check that I hadn't applied my Coco decant by mistake. :wub2:

Hi!! This is my first post!! :wub2:

I'm looking for something that smells similar Tocca's Brigitte:

Notes:

Ginger, Rhubarb, Papaya, Moroccan Rose, Iris, Saffron, Sandalwood, Musk, Pannetone Accord.

It starts out spicy/fruity, which is really nice! But then it turns kind of weird on me after a few hours so I don't wear it very much.

Also, I want to get my mom an imp of something close to VIctor & Rolf's Flowerbomb (Notes: Sambac Jasmine, Centifolia Rose, Cattleya Orchid, Ballerina Freesia, Patchouli)

Hi!! This is my first post!! :wub2:

I'm looking for something that smells similar Tocca's Brigitte:

Notes:

Ginger, Rhubarb, Papaya, Moroccan Rose, Iris, Saffron, Sandalwood, Musk, Pannetone Accord.

It starts out spicy/fruity, which is really nice! But then it turns kind of weird on me after a few hours so I don't wear it very much.

Also, I want to get my mom an imp of something close to VIctor & Rolf's Flowerbomb (Notes: Sambac Jasmine, Centifolia Rose, Cattleya Orchid, Ballerina Freesia, Patchouli)

Hello! For a similar feel to Flowerbomb (and Amber): Inez from Carnavale Diabolique. The Carnavale isn't available right now, but should be coming back soon...maybe you can find a decant in the swaps/sale section? It doesn't have the effervescence that Flowerbomb does, but the amber is close and they actually layer REALLY well together. :)

I'm looking for a BPAL that smells like Song of India's Liquid Amber. I've tried Jacob's Ladder which was really great amber under a whole pile of baby oil and O which I found kinda rancid. I've also tried quite a few blends with amber which are nice but I want something that's more in your face AMBER.

Thanks for any help!

The best Amber I have found is Inez from Carnavale Diabolique. See above post... :)

Inez: Golden amber, vanilla musk, myrrh, cedar, carnation, and red sandalwood.

Edited by Herb Girl

Hello! For a similar feel to Flowerbomb (and Amber): Inez from Carnavale Diabolique. The Carnavale isn't available right now, but should be coming back soon...maybe you can find a decant in the swaps/sale section? It doesn't have the effervescence that Flowerbomb does, but the amber is close and they actually layer REALLY well together. :)

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it :)

Weirdly, until totally dry, The Unheavenly City smells a lot like Estee Lauder Pleasures on me... It was totally tripping me out because I wore Pleasures exclusively for a long time, and I was like, "I don't even have a bottle of this at my new house! HOW DID IT GET ON ME?" But if I huffed my wrist I could smell the sexy red musk, which is definitely not in Pleasures... and once it dried completely, it smelled totally different.

Does anyone know of a BPAL scent similar to Chanel's Cuir de Russie? I absolutely ADORE it, but at its cost per 1 bottle I could get several BPAL bottles that have been on my wishlist forever. <_<

Notes, according to Fragrantica:

Top: African orange flower, bergamot, mandarin

Middle: Jasmine, rose, ylang ylang

Base: Leather, birch

The leather in this is quite animalic at first, almost fecal-civet-y, but quickly blooms into this AWESOME soft spicy leather floral. Not bondage leather, but supple well-worn leather gloves you got from a chic grandmother leather. On my skin the citrus isn't very apparent, or just so well-blended with the other notes I can't tell it's there. I know Liz is a floral leather but it doesn't even compare to Cuir de Russie, and is entirely too floral (on me) anyway. Thoughts? I wouldn't be unhappy buying a bottle of CDR, but it'll just put a big dent in my BPAL budget for a while. I'm paranoid of some of my fave GCs getting DC'd as I quickly use up my decants, but my CDR decant is getting low too...

ARGH! *angsts*

EDIT: Got impatient and bought CDR anyway with no regrets. :) Yeah it'll severely cut into my BPAL/general perfume budget for the rest of the year, but it's a scent I'll wear often and have smelled nothing like it, BPAL or otherwise.

Edited by thatbrownelf

Adding another happy accident: the combination of Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather smells almost exactly like Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller. Dunno why, they're notes aren't similar at all, but they just do. The Tom Ford combo just has a slight bite in the background whereas Mme. Moriarty is softer and has a small hint of fruit from the plum. Overall I'd say they're 90% close, aside from price.

I'm having a fit of nostalgia for an old perfume, I'm pretty sure it was New West.

These are the notes for New West:

Top Note: Calone, Watermelon

Middle Note: Galbanum, Hyacinth, Lily, Spearmint

Base Note: Cedarwood, Oakmoss, Musk, Amber

Does anyone know of a similar Bpal? From memory it was like a beautifully cool juicy fresh breeze in the desert.

ETA: ok, so some sites say this one also has leather in it. So I guess what I'm looking for is cowboy eating watermelon in desert surrounded by cactus. That's not too specific is it?

Edited by Pyewacket