Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Could you PLEASE help a sniffing lover in distress????

My signature scent was Stella Sheer 2004, everyone complimented me when I had this on. People would buy it but it just wasn't the same, my skin chemistry just made it really unique and wonderful :wub2: The whole range of Stella Sheer after it tweaked around the notes and was never the same, and since it was limited edition, now it's gone

Normally I really don't like rose scents but here somehow it just worked for me:

Top Notes: mandarin orange, rhododendron and green notes

Middle note: Rose

Base note: Amber

Is there anything Bpal that could resemble this?

Thanks ;)

Edited by wiffcat

I'm hoping someone can help me with either or both of these, I got a sample of Versace Pour Homme for my dad last year and he really liked it, it was different from the Old Spice he always gets.

According to the site it has: Bergamot, Neroli, Citron of Diamante, Bitter Orange Leaves, Geranium, Clary Sage, Blue Hyacinth, Cedar Wood, Old Wood, Mineral Amber, Tonka Bean, Musk.

I also got him Gucci By Gucci Pour Homme Sport and that has: Mandarin, Grapefruit, Cypress, Cardamom, Juniper Berries, Fig, Patchouli, Vetyver, Ambrette Seeds.

They're both running out and I hope to get a surprise replacement for him soon!

I would like to second that request for a BPAL equivalent to Ralph Lauren Hot. I love that perfume. For me it's the spicy heat of the cinnamon that makes it special.

From all the recommendations I've read on the forum, many BPAL scents that have cinnamon end up being foody (smelling like Red Hots etc.) Can someone recommend a non-foody BPAL that has an element of Woodsy or floral, but with the heat of cinnamon? That would make me a happy camper.

Have you tried out Sin? It's amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon. It doesn't seem foody to me, at all.

If don't mind tracking down an LE, another rec for cinnamon is Blood Moon. Although it's more musky (to my nose) than woody or floral.

I'm testing Midnight Carnival, and am surprised to find that it smells exacty like Brut cologne. It didn't in the imp, but that's what it turned into on my skin. I love Brut, so I'm looking forward to trying this one on the boyfriend. :wub2:

Does anyone know of a BPAL oil that is similar to Fendi Theorema EDP? I used to borrow this from my mom, and it has the most wonderful warm, spicy, deliciously-sweet-without-being-too-foody scent. The official notes are:

Top- tangerine, orange, eglantine rose

Heart- jasmine petals, red pepper, cinnamon, osmanthus

Base- cream, sandalwood, musk, amber, ground spice

I never got much of the rose, but the sweet citrus fruits, jasmine, and cinnamon were prominent, as well as the base notes. It manages to be close to a vanilla scent without actually having any vanilla in it. I absolutely loved this scent, but sadly it's been discontinued, so I can't just go buy a bottle of it. Does anyone know of anything similar?

I know it's not perfect but how about...

The Haunted Palace:

The moment before the ruin, frozen. The scent of captured glory, of glowing pearls and rubies, of golden sunlit joy and regal grandeur: red rose, Tunisian amber, blood orange, toasted vanilla, heliotrope, gardenia and red musk.

Layered with:

Bengal:A sultry and unruly blend that emulates the ambient scent of the markets in ancient Bengal: skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.

.purchase 5ml.

I would like to second that request for a BPAL equivalent to Ralph Lauren Hot. I love that perfume. For me it's the spicy heat of the cinnamon that makes it special.

From all the recommendations I've read on the forum, many BPAL scents that have cinnamon end up being foody (smelling like Red Hots etc.) Can someone recommend a non-foody BPAL that has an element of Woodsy or floral, but with the heat of cinnamon? That would make me a happy camper.

It's an older thread, but this might be helpful for you: Cinnamon girl: Cinnamon discussion from A-Z. I was going to recommend trying Hamadryad, but I didn't realise it was discontinued! Oh, the things I miss from being out of the BPAL loop for a while...

I searched the thread and couldn't find any real mention of it, so here goes. Have any of you smelt a BPAL similar to Dolce and Gabbana's Light Blue?

Edited by AmandaKay

I searched the thread and couldn't find any real mention of it, so here goes. Have any of you smelt a BPAL similar to Dolce and Gabbana's Light Blue?

Evening Cicadas and Red Peppers (Yule 2009 blend) reminds me quite a bit of Light Blue. Ebisu Making Love As Two Octopuses Look On (Lupercalia 2008) also has a similar feel for me.

All of my life i've been looking to somehow match the limited edition Bob Mackie "Masquerade" perfume, it was the first one i ever fell in love with!!!

The notes are:

"A gentle oriental fragrance, that leaves any woman feeling refreshed. This feminine scent possesses a blend of oriental flowers with woods and musk. Masquerade is perfect for daytime wear..With subtle notes of peach, passion flower, jasmine, orchid and mimosa along with vanilla."

I find it a really delicate yet sensual blend that never overpowers or becomes too cloyingly sweet.

^.^ I hope there's something here to that effect!

I can smell peach, apple, roses, vanilla, sandalwood and musk. The drydown is wonderful powdery and I find it similar to TRESOR by Lancome.

Edit: Because i found the actual notes!!

Top Notes: Freesia, mandarin, lily of the valley.

Heart Notes: Violet, passion flower, jasmine, osmanthus.

Base Notes: Sandalwood, musk, woods.

And, yet another description:

The scent begins with notes of peach, golden mimosa, passion flower, exotic jasmine, and orchid followed by a rich and smooth midnote of vanilla. The basenote blend and combination of a sensual Cashmere accord of warm woods and sheer musks, amber, and woods.

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Oh and I just remembered another absolute favorite i was hoping to find here!

"Jacob" by Jacob.

Top Note: Pink Pepper, Green Apple, Lemon Blossom

Mid note: Peony, Wisteria, Tea Leaves

End notes: White Cedar, Musk Powder, Precious Amber

Anything similar to this? :(

Edited by Phox

Anything similar to this? :(

The first thing that comes to mind for me is Queen Mab since they share quite a few notes, but it's discontinued, so that's not much help. Still, it might be worth tracking down an imp and seeing if it works for you. :)

Soooo. Does anyone have any ideas for perfumes similar to the perfume by Orla Kiely? Here is the description, "A charming fragrance of light floral notes, with natural extracts of rose, geranium and bergamot, subtly balanced with fresh fig and a hint of chocolate." Thanks!

ETA: Here is more info I found! Top notes: green tea, peach, fig and bergamot. Heart: rose, white flowers, geranium, chocolate and osmanthus. Base: musk, tonka bean, cedar and sandalwood.

Edited by ciaobonefish

Does anyone know of a BPAL oil that is similar to Fendi Theorema EDP? I used to borrow this from my mom, and it has the most wonderful warm, spicy, deliciously-sweet-without-being-too-foody scent. The official notes are:

Top- tangerine, orange, eglantine rose

Heart- jasmine petals, red pepper, cinnamon, osmanthus

Base- cream, sandalwood, musk, amber, ground spice

I never got much of the rose, but the sweet citrus fruits, jasmine, and cinnamon were prominent, as well as the base notes. It manages to be close to a vanilla scent without actually having any vanilla in it. I absolutely loved this scent, but sadly it's been discontinued, so I can't just go buy a bottle of it. Does anyone know of anything similar?

I know it's not perfect but how about...

The Haunted Palace:

The moment before the ruin, frozen. The scent of captured glory, of glowing pearls and rubies, of golden sunlit joy and regal grandeur: red rose, Tunisian amber, blood orange, toasted vanilla, heliotrope, gardenia and red musk.

Layered with:

Bengal:A sultry and unruly blend that emulates the ambient scent of the markets in ancient Bengal: skin musk with honey, peppers, clove, cinnamon bark and ginger.

.purchase 5ml.

Thank you! Bengal is on my "to try" list, and The Haunted Palace sounds so lovely. It seems like them might combine to create something similar, or at the least, something that smells wonderful. :)

Soooo. Does anyone have any ideas for perfumes similar to the perfume by Orla Kiely? Here is the description, "A charming fragrance of light floral notes, with natural extracts of rose, geranium and bergamot, subtly balanced with fresh fig and a hint of chocolate." Thanks!

ETA: Here is more info I found! Top notes: green tea, peach, fig and bergamot. Heart: rose, white flowers, geranium, chocolate and osmanthus. Base: musk, tonka bean, cedar and sandalwood.

I've never smelled Orla Kiely, so I don't know if this is a match at all, but the description reminded me of The Last Unicorn. "Frosty lilac petals, iris pallida root, orris, violet leaf, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and oakmoss."

On me, the florals and oakmoss give The Last Unicorn a somewhat 'traditional' perfume scent, while the chocolate and coconut ground it and make it very lightly sweet.

Edited by Altaira

I would love to enable a friend.

She wears Very Irresistible by Givenchy (notes: rose, star anise, and a bit of verbena and red berries),

...and Hermes's Un Jardin Sur Le Nil (notes: lotus, green mango, grapefruit, calamus, sycarmore, and incense).

Any recommendations for BPALs that correspond to those?

I've never smelled Orla Kiely, so I don't know if this is a match at all, but the description reminded me of The Last Unicorn. "Frosty lilac petals, iris pallida root, orris, violet leaf, white chocolate, coconut, wild lettuce, white sandalwood, and oakmoss."

On me, the florals and oakmoss give The Last Unicorn a somewhat 'traditional' perfume scent, while the chocolate and coconut ground it and make it very lightly sweet.

I'll have to try that one! I have't tried it either, but have heard good things about it so thought I would try to find something with similar notes!

wiffcat: Maiden is the closest thing I can think of to the Stella line. They both have a nice soft rose note. Notes are ; white tea, carnation and Damask Rose.

I am looking for something that smells similar to Kat Von D's SINNER perfume. I LOVE it. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated as I am new to Bpal!

Minamoto No Yorimitsu Cuts at the Earth Spider reminds me of Tobacco Flower by FRESH. LOVE it.

I am looking for something that smells similar to Kat Von D's SINNER perfume. I LOVE it. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated as I am new to Bpal!

I also really enjoy Sinner. I'm not sure if any bpal scent really has the same feel for me, but you might try:

*Eclipse (Bewitching Brews) - "A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon." Kinda has a similar dark, sweet, spiced vanilla quality.

*Sin (Sin & Salvation) - "Thouroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon." If you liked the spicy-earthy-sweet aspects of Sinner, this is like the cinnamon and patchouli amped up.

*Mme Moriarty (not currently available, but I'd definitely recommend picking up a bottle of this when the Carnaval collection is back up and running) - "Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, patchouli leaf and wild plum."

The vanilla really stands out a lot for me in Sinner. If you like the vanilla-y qualities, look into these blends:

*The Antikythera Mechanism (Steamworks) - "Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco."

*Black Opal (Bewitching Brews) - "A play of geological darkness and jagged brilliance. Soft and luminescent with flashes of black fire."

*Dorian (Sin & Salvation) - "A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea."

*Hunger (Ars Amatoria) - "Black narcissus, orange blossoms, and vanilla."

*Lyonesse (Wanderlust) - "Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss."

I also really enjoy Sinner. I'm not sure if any bpal scent really has the same feel for me, but you might try:

*Eclipse (Bewitching Brews) - "A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon." Kinda has a similar dark, sweet, spiced vanilla quality.

*Sin (Sin & Salvation) - "Thouroughly corrupted: amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon." If you liked the spicy-earthy-sweet aspects of Sinner, this is like the cinnamon and patchouli amped up.

*Mme Moriarty (not currently available, but I'd definitely recommend picking up a bottle of this when the Carnaval collection is back up and running) - "Red musk, vanilla bean, pomegranate, patchouli leaf and wild plum."

The vanilla really stands out a lot for me in Sinner. If you like the vanilla-y qualities, look into these blends:

*The Antikythera Mechanism (Steamworks) - "Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco."

*Black Opal (Bewitching Brews) - "A play of geological darkness and jagged brilliance. Soft and luminescent with flashes of black fire."

*Dorian (Sin & Salvation) - "A Victorian fougere with three pale musks and dark, sugared vanilla tea."

*Lyonesse (Wanderlust) - "Golden vanilla and gilded musk, stargazer lily, white sandalwood, grey amber, elemi, orris root, ambergris and sea moss."

You're awesome! I have some of those imps on the way :D I am really wanting some of the Mme Moriarty! I'm going to be adding these to my wishlist.

You're awesome! I have some of those imps on the way :D I am really wanting some of the Mme Moriarty! I'm going to be adding these to my wishlist.

Minamoto No Yorimitsu Cuts at the Earth Spider reminds me of Tobacco Flower by FRESH. LOVE it.

Yes! It absolutely does, which was what I was hoping for when I bought it.

On an unrelated note, I found the Neutral from the RPG line smells a lot like Marc Jacobs Perfume on my skin.

I tried Sinner on today while I was in Sephora. It's definitely a dark fruity vanilla perfume. I would also recommend Mme Moriarty, although she has more patchouli (which I love). Another one I thought of was Hymn to Proserpine-The darkening amber of faith’s sunset, deepened by the dark fruits of Proserpine. I just skin tested it and it's very similar to the dry down of Sinner.

So I'm also wondering about something that might smell similar to B&BW's Sea Island Cotton or Japanese Cherry Blossom.

Wensleydale seems to sound like what I get from Sea Island Cotton- more of a soapy, fresh, clean scent.

I was looking for scents with notes of cherry blossom but reading the reviews of them seem like that particular note isn't as strong as some of the others in that blend.

For the Japanese Cherry Blossom, Spirit of the Komachi Cherry Tree (The Salon) is pretty darn close to my nose...but softer and better IMHO. :)