Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I have a thing for Boss Selection by Hugo Boss. The official website describes it thusly:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Top Note: Burst of citrus freshness of mandarin and grapefruit invigorated with fresh green notes. Aquatic-Fresh-Spicy, fresh Green Accord, Mandarin, and Pink Peppercorn

Heart Note: The driving element of the fragrance a modern fougere of geranium, cedar leaf, patchouli and heliotrope. Aromatic-Floral Petigrain, Cedar Leaves, Geranium Leaves, Star Anise

Base Note: Magnetic & sexy notes of cedarwood, vetyver, and musks. Masculine-Woody Cedarwood, Patchouli, Vetyver, Heliotrope, Musky Accord<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Any BPal suggestions?

I second this one, my 'signature' perfume is Hugo Boss Selection and would like to find a longer lasting, oiled perfume like it.

Or at least one that have the same character.

Any help is apreciated.

Okay, found some notes for L'air du Temps:

The floral-spicy note of the carnation is in centre of its composition. Bergamot and rosewood support the development of the carnation theme, refined with the notes of rose and jasmine. Violet and iris give a powdery nuance, and create a harmony with the woodsy notes of cedar and sandal, while sensual musk and amber add the final feminine accord to the composition.

Any suggestions?

Hoping to enable my best friend's Mum.

She really liked Raven moon recently.

Her favourite commercial perfumes are:

Chanel - Mademoiselle: (I'm assuming she meant Coco Mademoiselle as I couldn't find anything else) tOP NOTES: Orange and Bergamot HEART NOTES: Jasmine Petals and Morning Rose BASE NOTES: Patchouli and Vetiver

Top notes of Coco Mademoiselle Parfum incorporate Sicilian oranges, Calabrian bergamot and Sicilian grapefruit. A floral heart is created of pure rose extract and pure jasmine extract, along with a fruity touch of litchi, while its base notes carry a combination of Indonesian patchouli, Haitian vetiver, Bourbon vanilla ad white musk.

Estee Lauder - Knowing: Top Note: Coriander, Orange, Aldehydes, Green Note Middle Note: Rose, Jasmine, Cardamom, Ceda Base Note: Patchouli, Oakmoss, Civet

The top notes begin with the floral freshness of mimoza, pittosporum, sweet rose and tuberose, combined with sparkling fruty notes of plum and melon. There are floral notes mingling with a sweet woodsy note of patchouli and iris and spicy clove and laurel. The chypre base includes precious woods (sandalwood, vetiver, patchouli), oakmoss and civet.

Miss Dior - Cherie L'Eau: Top Note: Bigarade Orange, Fruity Notes Middle Note: Gardenia, Floral NotesBase Note: White Musk, Patchouli, Caramel, Dry Woods

Chanel - Chance Au Frais: (Presumably Chance Eau Fraiche? - I'm going off an email from my friend so can't do much with the spellings etc) - citron, water hyacinth, jasmine absolute, white musk, vetiver, amber patchouli and teak wood.

Gucci - Envy: The tender and naturally sensual scent contains a blend of hyacinth, magnolia, lily of the valley, jasmine, violet, iris, and musk, and is housed in a modern, transparent bottle.

Top Note: Bergamot, Freesia, Peach, Pineapple Middle Note: Hyacinthus, Lily Of The Valley, Rose, Jasmine Base Note: Cedar, Sandal, Orris, Musk

It's been stated that she likes Patchouli, Rose (not strong/sweet), dislikes sweet fragrances in general (cloying) likes vanilla.

Alas a lot of her notes are not compatible with mine so I'm a bit stuck. Thought? Suggestions? I'd prefer GC where possible - Though I was thinking Black Death from DD might fit this profile - so that I can get imps first and then if she likes we can move to a bottle.

Thanks people!

I haven't tried Banshee Beat (kind of scared of the patchouli) but I find that the First of the Three Spirits smells a lot like Angel except without the patchouli.

I just got back from my friends' house, and while I was there, I kept thinking I was smelling The Girl. I knew I wasn't wearing it, so maybe it was on my clothing from a previous wearing? Nope, not that, I haven't worn The Girl in a long time. So I asked her if she had a new perfume, and she did. She let me smell it on her and told me it was Vera Wang's Princess. I'm not going to say they smell exactly alike, but Princess smells a lot like how The Girl dries down on my skin! Maybe it's just my chemistry. But it's close enough that I want to buy a bottle to use as a room spray and maybe to even to wear if I ever run out of The Girl.

Has any one else tried Princess? Am I nuts, or is there really a similarity?

I wish that Princess smelled like The Girl on me, but I get mostly a sharp, perfumey, musky smell from it with a dash of nondescript sweetness. But I have been around other people wearing the scent, and it smells awesome on them :smilenod:. I can see how its dry, sweet qualities could be similar to The Girl on a person with the right skin chemistry.

I absolutely LOVE Stacked Style's Carnival Crush..

notes:

Top notes: peach, plum and Granny Smith apple. Heart: jasmine, grass and Bulgarian rose. Base: sugar and musk.

but it's so difficult to find here in Canada now that Sephora has stopped carrying it. (they carry other Stacked Style ones now again, but not Carnaval Crush :cry2:

Can anyone reccomend a BPAL that has similar notes, or if you know the perfume, at least the feel?

On me it comes out as a sweet fruity plum/peach scent, with a bit of crispness from the apple. The rest of the notes blend together as a wonderful background but I can't pick them out.

On trying L'artisan's Havana Vanille it reminds me very VERY much of Inez by BPAL. Though Inez dries to a buttery musk and HV stays truer to it's powdery vanillic gourmand side and is a tad sweeter. I am really amazed by how they have such a similar feel though.

I wish that Princess smelled like The Girl on me, but I get mostly a sharp, perfumey, musky smell from it with a dash of nondescript sweetness. But I have been around other people wearing the scent, and it smells awesome on them :smilenod:. I can see how its dry, sweet qualities could be similar to The Girl on a person with the right skin chemistry.

It sounds like it doesn't quite work on you; that sucks! I think that is the first time I smelled a commercial perfume and instantly thought of BPAL. I tried it on my wrist and it smelled pretty good, but not as much like The Girl on me as on my friend. But still nice, which surprised me! :)

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan....."coriander, amber, oregano, bay leaf, myrtle, angelica root, sandalwood, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla", smells a lot like Mr. Jacquel...."Golden amber, hyssop, North African patchouli, and embalming spices". Mr. Jacquel has something like cassia or cinnamon, whereas Ambre Sultan does not, but other than that they are very much in the same scent family.

A recent Lucky Scent sample order has left me absolutely saddened that I cannot afford By Killian Back to Black, the first scent in a long while that I feel is absolutely perfect for me: vanilla, honey, and tobacco with a raspberry base that ends up smelling like an expensive amaretto liquor. So beautiful.

Any thoughts on a similar fragrance? I'd much rather give BPAL the money, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

A recent Lucky Scent sample order has left me absolutely saddened that I cannot afford By Killian Back to Black, the first scent in a long while that I feel is absolutely perfect for me: vanilla, honey, and tobacco with a raspberry base that ends up smelling like an expensive amaretto liquor. So beautiful.

Any thoughts on a similar fragrance? I'd much rather give BPAL the money, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Nothing exact, but some ideas:

GC:

O: Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

Horreur Sympathique: blood musk, golden honey, thick black wine, champagne grapes, tobacco flower, plum blossom, tonka bean, oakmoss, carnation, benzoin, opoponax, and sugar cane.

Countess Willie: Chocolate plum musk, red musk, amaretto, candied fruits, and red ginger.

Dionysia: Wild plum, pomegranate, raspberry, Siamese benzoin, plum blossom, patchouli, frankincense, and mahogany.

Bilquis: Honey, myrrh, lily of the valley, rose otto, fig leaf, almond, ambrette, red apple, and warm musk.

LE:

Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand (LE Lupercalia 2010): Honey, quince, vanilla, white cognac, Spanish mandarin, and golden tobacco.

Anactoria (LE Lupercalia 2010): Golden amber, white honey, red currant, daemonorops, kush, and Arabian musk.

This is probably a bit of a long shot but is anyone familiar with this musk oil by colette(http://www.colette.fr/#/eshop/article/9124/colette-black-musk-oil/196/)? It's my favourite and I would love to find similar/overlapping scents at BPAL!

That page describes it as Egyptian musk. BPAL has a couple of blends with EM in them, but my favorite is Mr. Ibis: Papyrus, vanilla flower, Egyptian musk, African musk, aloe ferox, white sandalwood. It is my favorite every-day scent.

You might also want to try Lights of Men's Lives. The description just talks about candles, but it smells like EM and beeswax on my skin.

Nothing exact, but some ideas:

GC:

O: Amber and honey with a touch of vanilla.

Horreur Sympathique: blood musk, golden honey, thick black wine, champagne grapes, tobacco flower, plum blossom, tonka bean, oakmoss, carnation, benzoin, opoponax, and sugar cane.

Countess Willie: Chocolate plum musk, red musk, amaretto, candied fruits, and red ginger.

Dionysia: Wild plum, pomegranate, raspberry, Siamese benzoin, plum blossom, patchouli, frankincense, and mahogany.

Bilquis: Honey, myrrh, lily of the valley, rose otto, fig leaf, almond, ambrette, red apple, and warm musk.

LE:

Autumn Moon of the Mirror Stand (LE Lupercalia 2010): Honey, quince, vanilla, white cognac, Spanish mandarin, and golden tobacco.

Anactoria (LE Lupercalia 2010): Golden amber, white honey, red currant, daemonorops, kush, and Arabian musk.

Thank you, Altaira! Horreur Sympathique sounds very close, and all sound lovely. I would have never found these from the search ;)

Does anybody knows a good and stronger BPAL version of:

Nina Ricci's Amour d'Amandier?

bottle looks like this:

nd.1285.jpg

a sweet and floral scent The freshness is brought in by mandarin and lemon at the top notes, along with the sweet peach and exotic kiwi. Gourmand notes of marzipan and heliotrope create the delicious heart. The passion of the “Amour d’Amandier” is softened at the base of sandalwood, vanilla and white musk.

Been a long time since I saw this belle de ricci around, (though I have smelt it before) but on the notes, you may like Mahana, it's not exact but may be similar.

My grandmother used to sell Mary Kay make-up, and I always loved the scent of their men's cologne Domain. The website calls it a blend of lavender, oakmoss, and musk. Does anyone know any good BPAL equivalents?

My grandmother used to sell Mary Kay make-up, and I always loved the scent of their men's cologne Domain. The website calls it a blend of lavender, oakmoss, and musk. Does anyone know any good BPAL equivalents?

I find these to be the bpal masculine blends with strong lavender notes:

Casanova: "A rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli."

Old Scratch: "a lavender fougere with tonka, amber, rosewood and a whiff of diabolical patchouli."

Wilde: "A sophisticated traditional gentleman's cologne, with just the slightest taint of patchouli's passion, tonka bean's decadence, the philanthropy of bergamot, moss' cynicism, the sharp wit of lavender, and the hopeless romantic longing of jasmine and thyme."

Using the search feature got me a mention or two, but I didn't see a designated thread. If I'm asking this in the wrong place, someone tell me. :) I'm looking for a BPAL perfume similar to Heaven Scent... and I'm not sure just which company makes Heaven Scent. It's my mother's signature perfume, has been since I can remember, and it's been fairly recently discontinued. That, plus wanting to give my mother something I know she'll like has me looking.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Lilac instead of lavender, but Crowley might be good: Infernal musk, red patchouli, lilac cologne, mahogany, lemon rind, oakmoss, leather, and vanilla husk.

Or maybe Nephilim? Holy frankincense and hyssop in union with earthy fig, defiled by black patchouli and vetiver, with a chaotic infusion of lavender, cardamom, tamarind, rosemary, oakmoss and cypress.

Lavender, oakmoss and musk sounds very traditionally masculine. You may want to try things without the specific notes, but with words like chypre and fougere, as these usually denote traditional men's blends.

I'm looking for a BPAL perfume similar to Heaven Scent... and I'm not sure just which company makes Heaven Scent. It's my mother's signature perfume, has been since I can remember, and it's been fairly recently discontinued.

According to http://www.perfume.com/dana/heaven-sent/women-perfume Heaven Scent was reformulated in 2001. It lists the notes as: Top Note: Neroli, Mandarin, Bergamot, Orange Oil, Lemon Oil, Spearmint Middle Note: Lily of the Valley, Carnation, Ylang-Ylang, Rose Base Note: Vetiver, Patchouli, Amyris Oil, Benzoin, Oak Moss, Sandalwood, Musk

So, your looking for something with citrus fruits, sweet florals, and a bit of dryness. That's not really my thing, so I don't have specific recommendations. Hopefully the additional info will get you closer to what you are looking for.

Ooh, thanks. I hadn't a clue at all. Now I've got something to start with. :) I'd forgotten Heaven Scent was reformulated, huh. I'll see what I come up with, now I've got an idea of what I'm looking for. I'd never have been able to identify all those notes on my own, thanks!

Random non-BPAL to BPAL suggestion of the day:

If you like Haunt's Winchester, try Dancing Koi. I've been trying to figure out what DK is reminding me of ever since I put it on and it finally hit me.

They're not identical, of course, but there's a definite resemblance on my skin once Dancing Koi has had a chance to dry down completely (it goes through a stage when it's wet--on my skin, anyway--that's pretty heavy on the leather but then it dries down into leather, musk, spice and incense). :)

Random non-BPAL to BPAL suggestion of the day:

If you like Haunt's Winchester, try Dancing Koi. I've been trying to figure out what DK is reminding me of ever since I put it on and it finally hit me.

They're not identical, of course, but there's a definite resemblance on my skin once Dancing Koi has had a chance to dry down completely (it goes through a stage when it's wet--on my skin, anyway--that's pretty heavy on the leather but then it dries down into leather, musk, spice and incense). :)

*makes note to test Dancing Koi first thing at WC* :)