Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I'm currently trying a spritz of L'artisan Parfumeur "Havana Vanille" which is a realtively new scent from them. the notes in it are quoted as such:

"vanilla pod infused in old rum, clove, leather, crystallized dried fruit, a 'ball of vanilla and powder', narcissus, helichrysum, tonka bean, benzoin, tolu, musks, vanilla absolute".

Now, on me, the two prominent notes are vanilla, followed by narcissus, and it's slowly turning more powdery with time, so it's not a BIG "ball of vanilla and powder". The rest play in the background and are well-blended enough so I can't detect them individually at all.

um.... so, based on this impression, and considering I already have and LOVE Snow White, what BPAL scents are similar in note?

(edited for spellies)

ETA: LE Feu D'Issey. I remember trying the "light" version that was released shortly afterwords, and quite liked it, as it was a nice candied scent. I can't quite remember what the regular Feu... smelled like.

oh, and I'm also wondering about a discon. perfume. Castelbajac. it was designed like a hot water bottle, with red plastic sides. it was based on a sweet almondy smell, although not quite almond. like an ethereal almost-marzipan. lovely it was.

Top Notes: orange blossom and almond.

Heart Notes: cyclamen and lily of the valley.

Base Notes: patchouli, musk, vanilla and cedar.

Any ideas on what may smell like it?

Edited by reina

My sister really likes the smell of violets. The Eau de Parfum Violettes de Toulouse is her favorite. But she does not like the alcohol-smelling in perfumes, which causes headache. Anyone has an idea about a bpal oil resembles to Violettes de Toulouse ?

Here is the description:

Top Notes of: Fruity Floral, Jasmine, Spicy Bergamot, Absolute of Violet Leaf

Middle Notes of: Floral, Cyclamon, Almond Tree, Flowers, Lilac and Violet

Base Notes of: Woody Floral, Iris, Sandalwood, and Sweet Musk

I tried Cotton Mouth the other day and thought it had a Thierry Mugler Angel vibe for a second. I like!

I'm currently trying a spritz of L'artisan Parfumeur "Havana Vanille" which is a realtively new scent from them. the notes in it are quoted as such:

"vanilla pod infused in old rum, clove, leather, crystallized dried fruit, a 'ball of vanilla and powder', narcissus, helichrysum, tonka bean, benzoin, tolu, musks, vanilla absolute".

Now, on me, the two prominent notes are vanilla, followed by narcissus, and it's slowly turning more powdery with time, so it's not a BIG "ball of vanilla and powder". The rest play in the background and are well-blended enough so I can't detect them individually at all.

um.... so, based on this impression, and considering I already have and LOVE Snow White, what BPAL scents are similar in note?

(edited for spellies)

ETA: LE Feu D'Issey. I remember trying the "light" version that was released shortly afterwords, and quite liked it, as it was a nice candied scent. I can't quite remember what the regular Feu... smelled like.

oh, and I'm also wondering about a discon. perfume. Castelbajac. it was designed like a hot water bottle, with red plastic sides. it was based on a sweet almondy smell, although not quite almond. like an ethereal almost-marzipan. lovely it was.

Top Notes: orange blossom and almond.

Heart Notes: cyclamen and lily of the valley.

Base Notes: patchouli, musk, vanilla and cedar.

Any ideas on what may smell like it?

I know Castelbajac and the closest BPAL I can think of (although it's not a dead ringer) is Dana O'Shee.

ETA that, as a happy coincidence, reina, Dana O'Shee is also the closest to Snow White among the BPAL GC scents.

Edited by Mrs.Black

I just got an imp of Tezcatlipoca, and I LOVE IT. It's giving me a very Aquolina Pink Sugar sort of feeling. (Pink Sugar is pretty much the only mainstream perfume I use regularly.) I don't think I could mistake the two, but I think if you like one, you'd like the other. Both are generally sweet, with some other notes that seem incongruous but work really well.

My boy loves Mary Kay's High Intensity cologne. I'm trying desperately to enable him. Does anyone know of a BPAL that smells similar?

For my enitre life, my dad has worn Guerlain's Imperiale. Top notes are: bergamot, neroli, verbena, lemon, orange. Middle note: lavender, and base notes: cedarwood and tonka bean.

If anyone who has smelled Imperiale can think of a similar BPAL (LEs welcome!), or, based on the notes, can come up with a good suggestion, I'd be eternally grateful!

For my enitre life, my dad has worn Guerlain's Imperiale. Top notes are: bergamot, neroli, verbena, lemon, orange. Middle note: lavender, and base notes: cedarwood and tonka bean.

If anyone who has smelled Imperiale can think of a similar BPAL (LEs welcome!), or, based on the notes, can come up with a good suggestion, I'd be eternally grateful!

I think the closest maybe the long discontinued Eidolon: A curious word, meaning both a phantom or apparition and the image of an ideal. A complex, unearthly scent: Himalayan cedarwood, Italian bergamot, verbena and sage

Or you could try Zephyr: A gentle white scent, breezes laced with the scent of springtime blooms and citrus. Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but I was so excited about this I had to share it somewhere. So, before I discovered BPAL I used to wear perfume oils that I got from a place called Global Scent Company. They also make fabulous incense. They were vendors at the Carolina Renfest, I don't know if they still are. Anyway, I LOVED their 'Libra' oil, but had no idea what was in it so when I started wearing BPAL I was like, "one day I'm going to find something that smells similar." And that day was yesterday! After 4 years, I tried Destroying Angel & it was so familiar when I put it on. I kept huffing my arm trying to figure out where I knew that smell from & then it hit me, LIBRA!!!! Instant bottle order. I'm so happy!!

To my nose, Pele smells almost exactly like Secrete Datura by Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier. I love them both, but Pele might be a bit nicer because it is softer and smoother.

Dior's Hypnotic Poison and Bpal's The Girl remind me of each other - they are by no means identical but to my nose, HP smells like the warm, rich sibling of the cooler, crisper The Girl.

I've no idea if anyone has had the same experience, but on me 51 has a strong resemblance to Prescriptives Calyx. I've also noticed a similarity between Hermia and Chanel Chance.

If anyone here is as old as me (46) and used to wear the now discontinued MAROC (by Revlon, or maybe by Prestige)....MOON ROSE smells exactly the same to me! It is so wonderful :)

Not a perfume, but a scented hand lotion. It's Rescue Beauty Lounge Citrus Vert and it smells so wonderful and fresh. I haven't been able to find a list of notes. I have an imp of 51, which I love, but it reminds me most closely of Prescriptives Calyx. Citrus Vert and Clinique Happy are two of my favorite fragrances from other companies, I would love to find similar scents to these in the BPAL catalogue.

Does anyone know if Kumiho is similar to the (now a website-only "Classic") Bath & Body Works White Tea and Ginger? I love that scent, but it is only sold in a few items now. (I have learned that note descriptions can sometimes be deceiving!)

Edited by sunlitgarden

Dior's Hypnotic Poison and Bpal's The Girl remind me of each other - they are by no means identical but to my nose, HP smells like the warm, rich sibling of the cooler, crisper The Girl.

ITA. The Girl is a lot like Hypnotic Poison.

Hi, I'm new here :) I'm wondering if there are any BPAL scents similar to either Pour une femme, by Caron, or the original Salvador Dali.

Does anyone know if Kumiho is similar to the (now a website-only "Classic") Bath & Body Works White Tea and Ginger? I love that scent, but it is only sold in a few items now. (I have learned that note descriptions can sometimes be deceiving!)

I do find them very similar - crisp, pretty and simple, if there are other notes in there I don't pick up on them. And since it's GC it's an easy, low-cost & low-risk investment to pick up an imp in a lab order or via swaps.

This is slightly off-topic, I hope it's still within the limits...

Two days ago there was a boy in the metro that smelled so strongly of something TAL, that I couldn't refrain from asking him if he was wearing perfume, and whether it was White Light. However, he replied it was a Joop perfume. I've looked at Joop's website, and there are several male fragrances... I'll try to check them out in a perfume shop one of these days and will report back which one it was that smells like magickal things. :)

I might be wrong, but the strong amber in Dior Addict is close to The Harp of Cnoc I'Chosgair, ime.

However, the Harp doesnt have the dark vanilla of Addict...

:yum:

Edited by SarahCamelia

I do find them very similar - crisp, pretty and simple, if there are other notes in there I don't pick up on them. And since it's GC it's an easy, low-cost & low-risk investment to pick up an imp in a lab order or via swaps.

Seconded. They smell super close to me, but I think BPAL's is to be preferred. ;)

I'm trying to match Nina Ricci's Nina.

I especially want to match the way it smells after a full 8 hours of wear: soft, silky, and warm with a hint of sweetness. The apple is nice, but this lingering scent is the part that I adore. It's very warm, not very dry, and very much a second-skin scent by then! I assume that the base notes are what I'm smelling, but there's enough sweetness to make me wonder if the other notes are lingering.

In any case, these are the notes in the perfume: This fresh floral citrus scent for her presents a delicious mix of fresh lemon and lime over a sweet heart of moonflower, apple and vanilla. Applewood, cedarwood and musk bring up a sultry base as the drydown to this enticing and magical mixture.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Edited by furiana

Probably a huge longshot, but here goes: Back in the 90's my uncle brought my mom a set of mini perfumes from France. Her favorite was called Lotus Bleu (it is NOT the one currently made by Roger & Gallet). That's the only info I have since the packaging is long gone, only the tiny bottle remains. I can't find it anywhere, so I was hoping to find a BPAL similar, if anyone even has any idea what I'm talking about lol. Thanks in advance!

I think The Bow and Crown of Conquest smells like a more subtle version of by Kilian's A Taste of Heaven. Yum!

I'd love to find a BPAL that's close to Grandiflorum's Absinthe. I think it's discontinued now, and I'm hoarding my last 1/3 of a bottle (and hiding it from the boy, who loves it too). The notes are wormwood, vanilla, orange, grapefruit and rosewood, but I don't smell much citrus in it except maybe a little orange, but it's a sweet orange not a citrus-y one. It's a strong sweet herbal with a little warm wood, and more of a fall/winter scent. Any ideas for something similar?