Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I don't know if anyone is like me, having a kind of sentimental fondness for Loves Baby Soft...but to me, it has lots in common with La Petite Mort. :wub:

I'm currently trying to enable a friend of mine. She's intrigued by the site, but a little overwhelmed by the selection. I thought it might be helpful to point her toward something similar to her favorite perfume, which is Fendi. I looked it up, and the base notes listed for Fendi are: "ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, iris, carnation, nutmeg, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood, cedar, amber, oak moss and musk." I also found this description: "Fendi is a chypre floral fragrance with woody and spicy notes."

Unfortunately, I've not smelled Fendi, and that huge list of notes doesn't give me a clear idea. Has anyone tried it, and do you know of a BPAL in the same family? I'm not looking for a dupe, but something her nose will be comfortable with to get her started. :)

I used to wear Fendi ALL the time. I find it to be more like a spicy,leathery oriental. You may try The Caterpillar and Hand of Glory.

I'm currently trying to enable a friend of mine. She's intrigued by the site, but a little overwhelmed by the selection. I thought it might be helpful to point her toward something similar to her favorite perfume, which is Fendi. I looked it up, and the base notes listed for Fendi are: "ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, iris, carnation, nutmeg, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood, cedar, amber, oak moss and musk." I also found this description: "Fendi is a chypre floral fragrance with woody and spicy notes."

Unfortunately, I've not smelled Fendi, and that huge list of notes doesn't give me a clear idea. Has anyone tried it, and do you know of a BPAL in the same family? I'm not looking for a dupe, but something her nose will be comfortable with to get her started. :)

I used to wear Fendi ALL the time. I find it to be more like a spicy,leathery oriental. You may try The Caterpillar and Hand of Glory.

Thank you so much for your reply! And yay, I have both of those for her to try!

Thank you so much for your reply! And yay, I have both of those for her to try!

Fendi was one of my all-time favorites, and I wore it a lot and always received compliments on it. I don't have either of lookingglass' recommendations, but I can say that I still love to wear spicy dark scents. If you can find some Chrysanthemum Moon, it's a fabulous spicy oriental, and one of my BPAL favorites. I also love and get a lot of compliments when I wear Snake Oil. I've never gotten the playdoh note in Snake Oil that so many others describe. On my skin, it's a very spicy vanilla with lots of throw, so if your friend can wear Fendi, she might love Snake Oil.

I tried Torture Queen today and it reminded me (and a number of other reviewers) of CK1, also reminds me of Carolina Herreras 212 for men. Nice clean fresh musk and white gardenia.

Now if I could only find a scent that smells like Le Feu D'issey by Issey Miyake. Hopelessly discontinued and 100$ or more for a bottle. SHEEZ. It is SO good. Has anyone smelled this? It's unlike any other mainstream frags out there which is probably why it's now discontinued.

Notes are:

Top Notes: Rose, lily, coriander leaf, pepper

Heart Notes: Amber

Base Notes: Guaiac wood, benzoin, amber

it's a spicey floral w/ a wood base.

Did a quick search through this thread and nothing turned up, so is there anything in the BPAL/BPTP catalog (current, LE, discon) that would be close to Jean Patou's Joy. According to the entry at the Wiki, it has rose, jasmine, tuberose, ylang ylang, but "does not smell like any specific flower".

The wiki entry is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy_(perfume)

It's a lovely perfume, but very expensive.

ETA: Lots more info about scent notes here: http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Jean-Patou/Joy-1436.html

Orris, muget, aldehydes, civet, peach, orchid, sandalwood, musk, pear, green notes were the notes mentioned in the description and reviews.

Edited by thekittenkat

A coworker was wearing Burberry's The Beat yesterday and it smelt exactly like Hanami. I have no idea why since they share no notes in common at all.

The Beat is described as a sparkling floral woody fragrance; the notes feature bergamot, mandarin, Ceylon tea, cardamom, pink pepper, bluebell, iris, white musk, vetiver and cedarwood

All I can suggest is that bluebell & iris which are the dominant notes in The Beat smell similar to wisteria, ume Blossom & sakura.

...Jean Patou's Joy. ...

...Orris, muget, aldehydes, civet, peach, orchid, sandalwood, musk, pear, green notes were the notes mentioned in the description and reviews.

I haven't smelled the perfume you're asking about, but the notes list makes me think of Belle Vinu, Les Bijoux, The Temptation, Loralei, Rozpustnica... Or if it's more green, maybe Sunflower, The Unicorn, or Orpheus might have a similar feel.

... Le Feu D'issey by Issey Miyake. ...

Haven't tried this one either, but I hate seeing people not get suggestions! :)

A search of the forum turned up only one comparison: La Mort Qui Danse. It's definitely peppery, and I also got a light floral and something slightly green, and it's very unique (translation: you may hate it :) ). Have you tried that one yet? Has anything you've tried come close, except "xyz"?

... Le Feu D'issey by Issey Miyake. ...

Haven't tried this one either, but I hate seeing people not get suggestions! :)

A search of the forum turned up only one comparison: La Mort Qui Danse. It's definitely peppery, and I also got a light floral and something slightly green, and it's very unique (translation: you may hate it :) ). Have you tried that one yet? Has anything you've tried come close, except "xyz"?

Unfortunately nothing I have ever tried has compared to it. There's a perfume called Etro Etra that is supposed to be similar but to a lesser degree of awesome than Le Feu.

La Mort Qui Danse will be added to my "imps to try list" sounds very promising. Thanks for the recommendation!

...Jean Patou's Joy. ...

...Orris, muget, aldehydes, civet, peach, orchid, sandalwood, musk, pear, green notes were the notes mentioned in the description and reviews.

I haven't smelled the perfume you're asking about, but the notes list makes me think of Belle Vinu, Les Bijoux, The Temptation, Loralei, Rozpustnica... Or if it's more green, maybe Sunflower, The Unicorn, or Orpheus might have a similar feel.

Joy is heavy on the orris, sandalwood & greens. I can attest that Les Bijoux smells nothing like it, nor does it have a similar character. The closest I've found to it is Black Butterfly Moon. Joy is quite a heavy perfume of the old fashioned variety and Black Butterfly Moon has that same character. It's got an almost bitter edge to it which BBM also shares.

From the GC the only other one I can think of is The Raven. Which I will come right out and say doesn't smell like Joy. But the heavy violet is a bit like the heavy orris in Joy and that's where the similarity ends.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

On me, Liz = Hanae Mori. Like it's eerie, and I couldn't place the smell, and then I did a side by side test. Hanae Mori (my old, every day wear perfume) is a little ... richer smelling, but the dry down is almost identical.

Thanks for the recs. :) I always get lots of rose, medium-to-dark rose, when I sniff Joy. And something that sparkles.

Dior's Hypnotic Poison is IDENTICAL to Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener on me! Pure root beer.

Anything similar to Pure Poison?

Notes: Sweet Orange, Bergamot of Calabre, Mandarin of Sicily, Orange Flower, Jasmine Sambac LMR, Hydroponic Living Gardenia, Sandalwood, White Amber, Musks.

What about Burberry Beat?

Notes of bergamot, mandarin, Ceylon tea, cardamom, pink pepper, bluebell, iris, white musk, vetiver and cedarwood.

I've scanned over the whole thread looking for another recommendation. I love B&BW's Vanilla Bean Noel. Way back in the thread, someone suggested Mouse's Sad and Long Tail, which I have and love. But I don't think it's that close. Mouse's notes are: Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood. VBN has vanilla bean, warm caramel, and cream.

Is there anything else in the GC or any other category, including DCs, LEs, protos, etc. that has just those three notes? Or any layering ideas? Thanks in advance!

Edited by thekittenkat

I've scanned over the whole thread looking for another recommendation. I love B&BW's Vanilla Bean Noel. Way back in the thread, someone suggested Mouse's Sad and Long Tail, which I have and love. But I don't think it's that close. Mouse's notes are: Vanilla, two ambers, sweet pea and white sandalwood. VBN has vanilla bean, warm caramel, and cream.

Is there anything else in the GC or any other category, including DCs, LEs, protos, etc. that has just those three notes? Or any layering ideas? Thanks in advance!

You could maybe try Gluttony from Sin & Salvation? Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel. Might not be an exact match, but with vanilla, buttercream and caramel notes it should have a similar yummyness!

Anyone know of good matches for either Guerlain's Jardins de Bagatelle or Dior's Dolce Vita? I'm trying to enable my mother and those are her two favourite commercial fragrances. Jardins de Bagatelle is described as "a bouquet of white flowers", I'm assuming with a rose influence as that is what the actual Jardins de Bagatelle is famous for. Dolce Vita is described as having top notes of Rose, Magnolia and Muguet, middle notes of apricot, peach and cinnamon, and base notes of sandalwood, vanilla and heliotrope. She likes slightly oriental fragrances, and tends not to go for sweet florals.

This might be a stretch...but a long long time ago, Gap Scents had a scent called Grass. i hated it but my husband loved it. he still has a small bottle of it, in fact. I think it was discontinued at least 10 years ago. Anyway, i figured if anyone had something similar, it'd be BPAL. Does anyone know this scent? We just picked out 6 imps for him to try that he liked the sound of so now we are waiting anxiously for them to come.

I'd say the closest to Vanilla Bean Noel would be Black Lace- on me it was very sweet, yummy vanilla. It's also up currently for sale at Dark Delicacies.

I didn't see any recommendations for this, and hopefully I didn't miss it!, but I'm hoping for a BPAL match close to a few of this Carnival Wax scents:

Dreabilly: Smoke and dried wood, sugar and orange blossoms.

and

Jack of Aces: Vanilla cream, white amber, and eagleswood.

Both to me are woodsy, sweet, and smokey smokey smokey.

Ahoy!

It seems that my dad's favorite cologne is being discontinued. It's called Monsieur 2, made by Givenchy, comes in a clear bottle with a green lid.

Does anybody know of any GCs that smell like this?

I've been testing my bottle of Hony Mone today and at times it reminds me of Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth perfume (which is a good thing btw, I LOVE that perfume).

I love it too! I am pretty confident that I have tried most vanilla blends the Bpal offers/has offered, and none really have that exact combination. Love's Philosophy has vanilla and cream, so possibly layering that with something slightly caramelly- maybe Boo? Boo didn't work on me, but those two together might be pretty close. I'd definitely start with Love's Philosophy.

Mouse's is nothing at all like VBN. It's very light and springy and pink. Hope this helps.

You may have tried this ages ago and it didn't work, but have you tried Detestable Putrescence? Seems like that one might be a little closer since it's vanilla and cream, sweet and sticky-like.

A good friend of mine says her favourite perfume ever was Spirit, but she's not sure who makes it and can't find it anymore...she thinks maybe it was made by Indiado, but is not sure on the name or spelling. Google fails me in my search. Any ideas?

If I can find the notes in it maybe I can find something similar in BPAL.

Just in case anyone else was looking, I find that Night-Gaunt is very similar to Estee Lauder's Beautiful Sheer. Well, on my skin, at least. I keep sniffing and thinking I used the latter, but nope. It's Night-Gaunt.

I don't quite know why it's doing that, since the notes aren't similar at all.

Beautiful Sheer: Nashi Pear, Michellia Fogii (magnolia), Ginger Lily, Linden Blossom, Mimosa, Pittosporum Leaf, Padouk Wood, Boxwood

Night-Gaunt: Yuzu, White Grapefruit, Kumquat, Snow, Flowers

:blink:

Mourning Moon seems to remind my family matriarchs of Shalimar.

ETA: Of the tea blends, any come to mind that are similar to Hermes Osmanthe Yunnan? On me this is a beautiful light tart apricot-y tea that dries into something sweeter with a touch of powder. It's not floral, it's not really fruity, it doesn't scream tea, it's just a subtle, sophisticated scent.

The best note description I could find was:

Notes of the eau de toilette include Yunnan tea, freesia, apricot, osmanthus, leather and musk
Edited by skyelyric