Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I've searched the forum and found quite a few references to various Rochas perfume, but none to Eau de Rochas specifically:

Eau de Rochas is an amazing cascade of sparkling fruit and floral notes from the Mediterranean countries, such as mandarin, grapefruit or verbena. Mountain narcissus and wild rose mingle in a whirl of wild notes before blossoming on a deep background of ambre and sandalwood.

And I think I read somewhere that it has a bit of patchouli too. Maybe Zephyr? Would love to hear your suggestions :)

I haven't tried Eau de Rochas - so take this with a grain of salt - but the description brought to mind Croquet:

Croquet
(Mad Tea Party) - Pink lime, pink grapefruit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli, bergamot, and ornery hedgehog musk.

Casanova is, on me at least, very reminiscent of Guerlain's Jicky, if slightly more masculine. They have several notes in common, so should hopefully be a similarity between them for others!

I'm trying to find some BPAL that my sister-in-law might like. She's had a very rough few months and I wanted to get her something nice. My brother told me she likes:

Burberry by Burberry (description on web review says "peach, apricot, sandalwood, cedar, amber and musk")

and "the new one" by Sarah Jessica Parker (I'm assuming SJP NYC). (description on web says "mandarin from Italy, white osmanthus and wild strawberries, gardenia, honeysuckle, mimosa and red Damascena rose, while a base includes vanilla absolute, sandalwood, rum and creamy musk")

Anything here in a similar vein? My own preferences tend to shy away from musks and I'm allergic to sandalwood, so my own favorites aren't helping me any in my quest.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!!

I'm trying to find some BPAL that my sister-in-law might like. She's had a very rough few months and I wanted to get her something nice. My brother told me she likes:

Burberry by Burberry (description on web review says "peach, apricot, sandalwood, cedar, amber and musk")

My first thought was Tamora: 'Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean' - no musk, but many other notes in common. I've never tried Burberry for comparison, however, so that could be well off!

My first thought was Tamora: 'Amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean' - no musk, but many other notes in common. I've never tried Burberry for comparison, however, so that could be well off!

I don't know if this is the one, but one of the Burberry scents REALLY remind me of Morocco, but with all those notes like sandalwood, amber, and musk, I think your sister would enjoy Morocco anyway.

I absolutely love Ralph Lauren's Romance for Men on my significant other. Any ideas? It is described as "blend of velvety woods, lavish florals and seductive, alluring musk."

Top notes are: orange, ginseng, ginger, black currant, pistachio leaf, lavender and mandarin orange

Middle notes are: lily, celery, basil, saffron, rose, geranium and cardamom

Base notes are: pine tree, patchouli, musk, oakmoss and vetiver

I absolutely love Ralph Lauren's Romance for Men on my significant other. Any ideas? It is described as "blend of velvety woods, lavish florals and seductive, alluring musk."

Top notes are: orange, ginseng, ginger, black currant, pistachio leaf, lavender and mandarin orange

Well, what does it smell like to you?

I don't know if this is the one, but one of the Burberry scents REALLY remind me of Morocco, but with all those notes like sandalwood, amber, and musk, I think your sister would enjoy Morocco anyway.

Burberry by Burberry is one of my favorite commercial scents and Morocco is one of my favorite BPAL scents.

Tamora does have some similar notes, but it's not really a similar fragrance overall. Tamora is very sweet and almost candy-like. I find Burberry to be soft, musky, slightly spicy, somewhere between fruity and floral. It's so well-blended that it's hard to pick out individual notes. Morocco has a similar "vibe" to it. Your sister will probably like it.

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions regarding the Burberry/etc. I'm going to send her a bottle of Morocco and see how she likes it. Maybe even get her interested in checking out BPAL for herself! ;)

Well, what does it smell like to you?

I'm to new at this to describe things unfortunately. Plus the bottle seems lost at present.

Since they're closing down after Christmas (sadly), does anyone know of any BPALs that are similar to B Never Too Busy to Be Beautiful's "Superworldunknown" and "Love"?

B Never Too Busy to Be Beautiful's Superworldunknown:

Their description:

"The smell of candy floss, sherbert fountains, toffee apples and the seaside, yet sophisticated… escapist perfumery really. Clever use of cocoa and vanilla absolute with cassia makes this fragrance really edible without having a single character that you can be labelled with. And a new blend of juniper berry adds a breath of Norwegian fresh air and walking in the hills in summer, a new material made from tonka beans to provide a hint of reassurance. Petigrain and bitter orange mixed with lime, lemon and bergamot create a dizzy fairground ride of top notes. All bouqueted with rose absolute and ylang ylang."

My description:

Lemon, candy floss (cotton candy) and sea air.

B Never Too Busy to Be Beautiful's Love:

"Love is an instantly bright and bubbly fragrance with a vivacious green apple fruit scent and sweet citrus innocence. As the initial burst fades it's replaced with a sugary sweet apple pie note whilst maintaining a sharp lift. A youthful blend of apple and cinnamon, Love's combination of cassia and the citrus notes of lemon and bergamot sit alongside the more traditional florals of jasmine and ylang to round off a sparkling fragrance."

My description:

Apples and other nice blended perfumey smells.

And whilst I'm posting, anyone found anything similar to Urban Decay's discontinued "Go".

Urban Decay's Go

Their description:

"This sparkling, fresh, fun perfume oil is an infusion of energy. Uplifting and energetic, it unleashes bright, euphoric top notes of yuzu (a Japanese citrus fruit) and grapefruit. Evoking a day spent outdoors, the citrus evolves into a green middle accord of crisp herbaceous notes…fresh-cut grass, lavender, and honeysuckle. The clean, airy base note of oceanic musk subtly anchors this effervescent scent."

My description:

Initially yuzu and honeysuckle, but dries to warm, dry grass, lavender and sea air. Kind of hard to describe as I think was the most blended perfume I've ever tried (and maybe my favourite).

Edited by anna1850

Has anyone ever tried a BPAL scent that reminded them of J. Lo Miami Glow? :beg: I hated the original Glow and haven't tried the others, but Miami Glow was one of the few scents I was actually willing to spend a ridiculous amount of money on. Even after I discovered BPAL, I still used it until I ran out. And I found a dupe by one B&B maker that was spot on, but I've used up all the stuff I bought except for a tiny bit of lotion--and they seem to be out of business. :cry2: Anyway, here are the notes from basenotes.net:

* Top Notes

* Coconut water, Pink Grapefruit, Passion Fruit, Blackcurrant.

Middle Notes

* Sand, Orange Flower, Cyclamen, Heliotrope.

Base Notes

* Musk, Vanilla Orchid, Blond woods.

To me, the citrus note in it does NOT smell like grapefruit, it smells like orange--I want to say blood orange. As a whole, this smells pretty much exactly like a day at the beach--the skin musk, coconut water, citrus, passion fruit, and even the sand are predominant. It's heaven. I need more. Help?

I'm looking for the old version of Avon's soft musk which my mum used to wear in 90s . Here is a picture of the bottle:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SOFT-MUSK-COLOGNE-SPRA...1QQcmdZViewItem

She has loved this one very much. She said that the current ones being produced are not same as the previous. She said that one was a strong perfume.

I couln't find the notes of this one. I do not have any idea if they share the same perfume notes with the current ones. Here is the description of the current one:

Warm, woodsy musk with bright notes of rose, jasmine and ylang-ylang.

Could you help me please to find a bpal oil that resembles the old version Soft Musk? I'm planning to give as a gift to my mum at her birthday :luv2:

I used to wear that sometimes back in the early 90s and (with the usual caveat about skin chemistry) I found that Lyonesse smelled very much like Soft Musk on me. It drove me crazy until I figured out what it was reminding me of. Unfortunately, the ambergris in Lyonesse killed it for me, but it may be worth a shot for your mom.

Since they're closing down after Christmas (sadly), does anyone know of any BPALs that are similar to B Never Too Busy to Be Beautiful's "Superworldunknown" and "Love"?

B Never Too Busy to Be Beautiful's Superworldunknown:

Their description:

"The smell of candy floss, sherbert fountains, toffee apples and the seaside, yet sophisticated… escapist perfumery really. Clever use of cocoa and vanilla absolute with cassia makes this fragrance really edible without having a single character that you can be labelled with. And a new blend of juniper berry adds a breath of Norwegian fresh air and walking in the hills in summer, a new material made from tonka beans to provide a hint of reassurance. Petigrain and bitter orange mixed with lime, lemon and bergamot create a dizzy fairground ride of top notes. All bouqueted with rose absolute and ylang ylang."

My description:

Lemon, candy floss (cotton candy) and sea air.

B Never Too Busy to Be Beautiful's Love:

"Love is an instantly bright and bubbly fragrance with a vivacious green apple fruit scent and sweet citrus innocence. As the initial burst fades it's replaced with a sugary sweet apple pie note whilst maintaining a sharp lift. A youthful blend of apple and cinnamon, Love's combination of cassia and the citrus notes of lemon and bergamot sit alongside the more traditional florals of jasmine and ylang to round off a sparkling fragrance."

My description:

Apples and other nice blended perfumey smells.

And whilst I'm posting, anyone found anything similar to Urban Decay's discontinued "Go".

Urban Decay's Go

Their description:

"This sparkling, fresh, fun perfume oil is an infusion of energy. Uplifting and energetic, it unleashes bright, euphoric top notes of yuzu (a Japanese citrus fruit) and grapefruit. Evoking a day spent outdoors, the citrus evolves into a green middle accord of crisp herbaceous notes…fresh-cut grass, lavender, and honeysuckle. The clean, airy base note of oceanic musk subtly anchors this effervescent scent."

My description:

Initially yuzu and honeysuckle, but dries to warm, dry grass, lavender and sea air. Kind of hard to describe as I think was the most blended perfume I've ever tried (and maybe my favourite).

The closest you'll get to candy & sea air on here is Lilith & The Giant Crab, which is tangerine ice cream and sea air. It's an LE but you'll find it easily on the forums. It's not the same scent but along similar lines. Another sea air + sweet scent you may like would be Lyonesse which starts off very sea breeze and dries down vanilla. Most of the yuzu blends in BPAL tend to be asian tea scents which I really love but not the same thing or even close. The other fun scent I'd recommend for you if you like citrus with musk is Shoggoth. It's lime, lemongrass, florals, musk and does for some have an aquatic vibe. You might really enjoy it.

The apple + perfume scents in BPAL are....

Poisoned Apple - very crisp realistic apple

Apple Of Sodom - smokey, evil apple

The Hesperides - cidery apple

Ladon - Apple Orchard

Cupid Complaining To Venus - Honeyed Apple

Have fun exploring

Edited by HamletsKeeper

The closest you'll get to candy & sea air on here is Lilith & The Giant Crab, which is tangerine ice cream and sea air. It's an LE but you'll find it easily on the forums. It's not the same scent but along similar lines. Another sea air + sweet scent you may like would be Lyonesse which starts off very sea breeze and dries down vanilla. Most of the yuzu blends in BPAL tend to be asian tea scents which I really love but not the same thing or even close. The other fun scent I'd recommend for you if you like citrus with musk is Shoggoth. It's lime, lemongrass, florals, musk and does for some have an aquatic vibe. You might really enjoy it.

The apple + perfume scents in BPAL are....

Poisoned Apple - very crisp realistic apple

Apple Of Sodom - smokey, evil apple

The Hesperides - cidery apple

Ladon - Apple Orchard

Cupid Complaining To Venus - Honeyed Apple

Have fun exploring

Thanks for the reccomendations. There's a couple I've already tried (Lyonesse just smelt odd to me and The Hesperides was the worst BPAL I've ever tried!) and I forgot to mention I'm vegan so Cupid... is out, but there's quite a few others there for me to try :)

I have found a few department store scents that I love and they almost are always discontinued!! :thud:

Bath and Body Works had a great scent that they got rid of that I'm hoping BPAL can come close to. It was Blackberry Amber. It was dark, sweet, and actually musty! I liked it a lot but apparently, most other people did not. If any one who has smelled the Blackberry Amber from Body Works and knows of a BPAL scent that would be close, please let me know!

It sounds like you are looking for something "musty"? I don't really know what that means. Musky? Dusty?

A tip though, that the black currant and red currant notes sometimes smell like blackberry to me. For instance, I wear Victoria's Secret Amber Blackberry with The East.

The East

The scent of the winds beyond the wall: bluebonnet, passion flower, freesia, jasmine tea, mint, thyme, and redcurrant.

The East isn't musky or dusty to me. I'm sorry I couldn't narrow it down more.

Be sure to check out the Lush similarities thread that's pinned at the top of Recs - there's been some B Never discussion there too. (You can search the thread using the "search topic" box that appears at the top and bottom of the topic itself. )

Be sure to check out the Lush similarities thread that's pinned at the top of Recs - there's been some B Never discussion there too. (You can search the thread using the "search topic" box that appears at the top and bottom of the topic itself. )

I didn't realise that thread might have B Never stuff too (thought it was just Lush) - although I couldn't find anything about Superworldunknown or Love using the search.

Bath and Body Works had a great scent that they got rid of that I'm hoping BPAL can come close to. It was Blackberry Amber. It was dark, sweet, and actually musty!

I haven't tried Blackberry Amber, but from your notes here are a couple of suggestions.

From the GC (Mad Tea Party): Red Queen

Deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant.

This has the fruit sweet foody scent, but is tempered by the dry woods. It's one of my favorites. (Just don't be turned off by the medicinal smell in the bottle! It fades in about 10 minutes)

LE (2009 Yules): Mason & Jenkins Port Jelly

Red and sticky! From a genuine Old Salem recipe!

To me, this smells like original red Swedish Fish candy with a coating of dust. It's the same sort of dust behind the coffee in Misk U.

Edited by Altaira

I'm currently trying to enable a friend of mine. She's intrigued by the site, but a little overwhelmed by the selection. I thought it might be helpful to point her toward something similar to her favorite perfume, which is Fendi. I looked it up, and the base notes listed for Fendi are: "ylang-ylang, rose, jasmine, iris, carnation, nutmeg, patchouli, vetiver, sandalwood, cedar, amber, oak moss and musk." I also found this description: "Fendi is a chypre floral fragrance with woody and spicy notes."

Unfortunately, I've not smelled Fendi, and that huge list of notes doesn't give me a clear idea. Has anyone tried it, and do you know of a BPAL in the same family? I'm not looking for a dupe, but something her nose will be comfortable with to get her started. :)

i noticed something that smelled like 'liz' on a colleague one day and asked her about it... turns out she was wearing givenchy's hot couture! the notes are Raspberry Dew, Jasmine, Bergamot, White Musk.

On my flight yesterday they were offering Hello Kitty perfume in the duty free catalog for 12 pounds so I had to get it. The company that created it, Koto Parfums, blends perfume for kids which makes it super gentle to my alcohol sensitive nose. Description and notes:

The freshness of the green apple combined with cherry tree flowers and jasmin leaves mingles the sweetness of the sweety apple, sugar and vanilla syrup.

Top: a sweety apple with drops of green apple

Heart: flowers of cherry trees, pulped jasmin petals, coco balls

Base: sweety pralines, drops of musk powder, vanilla syrup, candy sugar

The english translation is a little funny but you get the idea. And... it smells like Snow White! As soon as I spritzed today I knew it smelled familiar and it's definitely Snow White-ish. My mom loved it which is good cause I bought her a bottle of SW for xmas.

While at the mall yesterday, I really loved a different kind of perfume than I normally wear. I usually wear vanilla, amber, or musk based spicy scents, but I tried "Idole d'Armani" and now I can't stop smelling myself. I'm going to buy a bottle of it, but I'm surprised that my nose actually liked a perfume with rose, jasmine, saffron, patchouli, AND vetvier! It's a bit fruity at first but that really fades fast. I usually don't like any of the scents in the description, or at least so I thought. I want to branch out next time I order imps and include some scents that are similar!

Here is the description:

Idole d' Armani begins with notes of bright orange, pear and ginger and then blossoms into pretty rose and jasmine notes blended with unexpected and mysterious saffron, and finishes with a warm patchouli and vetiver base.

I tried the BPAL site but there are so many oils with rose and jasmine (patchouli and vetvier too). Any suggestions of something that might smell similar?

While at the mall yesterday, I really loved a different kind of perfume than I normally wear. I usually wear vanilla, amber, or musk based spicy scents, but I tried "Idole d'Armani" and now I can't stop smelling myself. I'm going to buy a bottle of it, but I'm surprised that my nose actually liked a perfume with rose, jasmine, saffron, patchouli, AND vetvier! It's a bit fruity at first but that really fades fast. I usually don't like any of the scents in the description, or at least so I thought. I want to branch out next time I order imps and include some scents that are similar!

Here is the description:

Idole d' Armani begins with notes of bright orange, pear and ginger and then blossoms into pretty rose and jasmine notes blended with unexpected and mysterious saffron, and finishes with a warm patchouli and vetiver base.

I tried the BPAL site but there are so many oils with rose and jasmine (patchouli and vetvier too). Any suggestions of something that might smell similar?

Hmmm...I tried Idole one day at a duty free store in the airport so I'm familiar with it's vibe. It wasn't a really strong rose (more like a tea rose and quite "white" smelling on me. Honestly I didn't get any fruit from it and I think the fruity & jasmine BPALs would be really far away from it. It's more like a dry rose scent. Perhaps you should try London or Rose Moon and go from there.

Edited by HamletsKeeper

Here is the description:

Hmmm...I tried Idole one day at a duty free store in the airport so I'm familiar with it's vibe. It wasn't a really strong rose (more like a tea rose and quite "white" smelling on me. Honestly I didn't get any fruit from it and I think the fruity & jasmine BPALs would be really far away from it. It's more like a dry rose scent. Perhaps you should try London or Rose Moon and go from there.

Thanks! you're right, it is quite "white" smelling. I'll check out those two and keep searching the reviews/descriptions and see what I can come up with.

It smelled "peachy" to me at first on my skin, but not when I sprayed it on my clothes. When it dried it was more of a light floral with a different kind of herb/spiciness to it.

Edited by venusinfurs

I can't believe how similar Victoria and Valentino's Rock and Rose Couture are. Victoria is slighter smoother on the skin (no alcohol, naturally :) ). I first opened my bottle and got a sense of deja-vu, and smelled through my mother's and my commercial perfume collections.

I love the bottle of Rock and Rose Couture! Victoria is nicer as a scent and more portable, I'll get a lot of wear from it I'm sure!