Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Does anyone have any recommendations for:

Estee Lauder Pleasures Intense?

Top Notes - Green Lily, Le Charme Peony, Cassis

Middle Notes - Moroccan Rose, Pink Tiger Lily, Jasmine

Base Notes - Maple Wood, Benzoin Crystals, Vanilla

Burberry London?

Notes - Clementine, Honeysuckle, English Garden Rose, Tiare Flower, Jasmine, Peony, Veil of Musks, Indian Sandalwood, Patchouli

Clinique Simply?

Notes - Vanilla, Oriental Soy Milk, Smoked Woods

Thanks! :smile:

I heard elsewhere on the intarweb that "Dragon's Milk" is a total dupe for Bond No. 9's "Chinatown" - as my few decants of that are running out and I can't justify that kind of cost for a bottle, I'm wondering if anyone can verify this or shoot it down? :beg:

I heard elsewhere on the intarweb that "Dragon's Milk" is a total dupe for Bond No. 9's "Chinatown" - as my few decants of that are running out and I can't justify that kind of cost for a bottle, I'm wondering if anyone can verify this or shoot it down? :beg:

I don't agree with that comparison. Dragon's Milk is very sweet and almondy/vanilla-ish...Chinatown has a lot of "green" notes, IIRC. To me Chinatown is a dead-ringer for Cacharel's Eden. I can't think of a BPAL scent that is truly similar to Chinatown...although I'll say this, if you like Chinatown you will love the new LE Sunbird, which goes live tomorrow :)

I don't agree with that comparison. Dragon's Milk is very sweet and almondy/vanilla-ish...Chinatown has a lot of "green" notes, IIRC. To me Chinatown is a dead-ringer for Cacharel's Eden. I can't think of a BPAL scent that is truly similar to Chinatown...although I'll say this, if you like Chinatown you will love the new LE Sunbird, which goes live tomorrow :)
Aaah, a daydream for a BPAL I likely can't afford. But thank you for the advice. :D Edited by Skirt

These are some similarities I have found:

Pollution - Paco by Paco Rabanne. Probably close to CK One, too.

Amsterdam - Sunflowers, Elizabeth Arden.

Casanova - similar (and better than) Cacharel Pour Homme.

.... I'm new to bpal.... looking for suggestions based on what I love to wear from "mainstream scents"... in winter I wear Hypnotic Poison from Dior (bitter almond, caraway spice, sambac jasmine, cinnamon, tuberose, vanilla, musk (glad this is toward the bottom), mosses, jucarunda wood) and in the summer I wear Leila by geir ness (norwegian lillies, watermelon, norwegian sunflowers). Any comparable scents here?

Well I only know Hypnotic Poison, but I tried Lovers With Rutting Cats the other day and it made me think of this very perfume! It drove me mad til I could remember what it smelt like, I know it's an LE, but it's still available from a few people on the forum. :)

.... I'm new to bpal.... looking for suggestions based on what I love to wear from "mainstream scents"... in winter I wear Hypnotic Poison from Dior (bitter almond, caraway spice, sambac jasmine, cinnamon, tuberose, vanilla, musk (glad this is toward the bottom), mosses, jucarunda wood) and in the summer I wear Leila by geir ness (norwegian lillies, watermelon, norwegian sunflowers). Any comparable scents here?

Well I only know Hypnotic Poison, but I tried Lovers With Rutting Cats the other day and it made me think of this very perfume! It drove me mad til I could remember what it smelt like, I know it's an LE, but it's still available from a few people on the forum. :)

Edited by cinnamonmel

I just got my Dark Delicacies order and, well, this is going to sound weird but Diabolical Offspring is totally Beth's answer to Chanel no 5.

Edited by Mrs.Black

If you like the original Poison by Dior, you might like Horreur Sympathique.

According to this site, the fragrance notes for Poison are:

• Top Notes - Coriander, Plum, Pimento, Anise, Rosewood
  • Heart Notes - Rose, Tuberose, Wildberries, Carnation, Honey, Cinnamon, Orange Blossom, Jasmine
  • Base Notes - Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Vertiver, Heliotrope, Opopanax, Vanilla, Musk
For comparison, the notes for Horreur Sympathique are: blood musk, golden honey, thick black wine, champagne grapes, tobacco flower, plum blossom, tonka bean, oakmoss, carnation, benzoin, opoponax, and sugar cane.

My mother-in-law's signature scent is Poison, and she once described it as smelling kind of like "spicy grapes". When I received a a frimp of Horreur Sympathique from the Lab, I immediately thought of her description and sent her the imp. She liked it very much and indicated that it smelled a lot like Poison.

i want to initiate my girlfriend into the bpal madness but she's kind of picky. i know she likes the perfumes "juicy couture" and "viva la juicy" anyone know of anything similar or any other recommendations?

I tested I Died for Beauty (ylang ylang and violet stirred by hyssop, frankincense, and grave loam) earlier and I think it smells almost EXACTLY like Guerlains L'Heure Bleue (aniseed note, bergamot, tuberose, carnation, violet, rose, neroli, tonka bean, iris, benzoin, vanilla.)

The notes aren't too similar but I swear it's almost a dead ringer. If there's another L'Heure Bleue fan out there who just-so-happens to own an imp of I DIed for Beauty, you've gotta compare the two and let me know waht you think! :D

I stopped into Anthropologie yesterday, and ended up smelling some of their perfumes, a few of which smell exactly like bpals.

Song in D Minor smells exactly like June Gloom 2009.

French Kiss smells exactly like Manners Among Men and Women in the Red Light District.

In my opinion, Alice (GC: Mad Tea Party) comes closer to Avon's Sweet Honesty than Dolce Stil Nuovo or Les Infortunes de la Vertu (see posts 899592 and 854064). Sweet powdery floral with just a little bit of spice, which SH doesn't have.

I love Une Rose by Frederic Malle, described as:

An intoxicating, earthy scent with notes of geranium essence, blue chamomile essence, wine dregs essence, Turkish rose absolute and truffle accord: patchouli accord, vetiver and castoreum absolute.

I don't think it's been discontinued, but it's very difficult to find, and expensive to boot. Are there any BPAL scents that might compare? To my nose, Une Rose is an earthy rose, not an overly sweet or perfumy rose, but it doesn't really have a "dirt" scent to it, if that makes sense.

Been trying to find an answer, but have not been able to.

I am looking to see if I can find a bpal that my mom would like. Her favourite perfume is EA's Red Door. Anyone care to suggest anything that smells similar to it?

I havent smelled it, but heres the notes: (courtsey of Basenotes.net)

Top Notes - Orange Blossom, Plum, Peach, Anise

Middle Notes - Rose, Jasmin, Muguet, Ylang-Ylang, Orris, Honey

Base Notes - Heliotrope, Sandal, Cedar, Musk, Amber, Benzoin

My mother-in-law's signature scent is Poison, and she once described it as smelling kind of like "spicy grapes". When I received a a frimp of Horreur Sympathique from the Lab, I immediately thought of her description and sent her the imp. She liked it very much and indicated that it smelled a lot like Poison.

I agree with your mother-in-law, Apple. I love Poison and after Venom, of which in nearly four years I have only managed to snag one half imp, Horreur Sympathique comes closet.

And Horreur is just gorgeous in its own right. :luv2:

I tested I Died for Beauty (ylang ylang and violet stirred by hyssop, frankincense, and grave loam) earlier and I think it smells almost EXACTLY like Guerlains L'Heure Bleue (aniseed note, bergamot, tuberose, carnation, violet, rose, neroli, tonka bean, iris, benzoin, vanilla.)

The notes aren't too similar but I swear it's almost a dead ringer. If there's another L'Heure Bleue fan out there who just-so-happens to own an imp of I DIed for Beauty, you've gotta compare the two and let me know waht you think! :D

Oooh that's interesting.. I have an expensive L'heure Bleue addiction (to complement the expensive BPAL addiction :twisted: ) I'll have to see if I can get my paws on an imp of I died for beauty.

Hi all!

I am a newbie, waiting for my first imps - there are so many that I am interested in, wow!

I was wondering if anyone knew of these fragrances -

- Child Perfume by Susan Owens : " This intoxicating fragrance is derived from brilliant exotic white flowers that dry to a crisp white floral. " I found another description that described it as jasmine, but it isn't really. I think the closest is pikake, with some gardenia & jasmine maybe? I love child, but it is so expensive!

The other one is:

1903 by J. Peterman. The description on the website says: "The report said: an “old woody fougère.” Clean citrus notes, bergamot, "green notes." The middle notes: clary sage…cardamom. The dry-down: leather notes, smoky labdanum…elemi, tabac, frankincense." Lots of notes, I know! It is a men's cologne, but smells fabulous on women too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Laura

Child Perfume most closely resembles Pele as a BPAL. However, Pele is not as concentrated and does not have the lasting power of Child. Although it's a million times less expensive!!

The note you are loving is indeed Pikake Jasmine - it used to be listed as a note in the description of Pele (which is why it was one of the first BPAL's I ever tried) : -)

Would anyone be so kind as to suggest a BPAL similar to Norell?

My mother loved that perfume and recently I've started enabling her (another devotee for the precious), but she was curious if I could find anything reminiscent of her favorite commercial blend. Looking online apparently Norell's makeup consists of "a blend of green florals, oakmoss, amber, musk, jasmine and rose".

Thank you for any suggestions!

I admit maybe I like these perfumes because they are just freaking adorable, but anyone have any suggestions for similar scents to Gwen Stefani's Harajuku line of perfumes?

I'm particularly interested in Music:

(It's called a delicate floral on the site.)

Top notes: sparkling pear, clementine

Mid notes: sweetpea, jasmine sambac, honeysuckle

Base notes: sleek woods, vanilla, skin musk

At first glance, it seems like Juliet would be a good copy, but the pear is not as strong in Music as it is in Juliet. Anybody have any other recs? Thanks!

I did a couple of searches and haven't found anything... Does anyone remember the perfume Sophia? It was my sister's favorite way back when. I tried looking up notes, but the closest I could get was some blog, I think, that listed "rose" and "jasmine". I don't remember the scent that well, but I thought it was more spicy and warm than floral. Any ideas?

Red Rose smells just like Et Une Rose with a dash of clove and tobacco. Seriously, if you love RR and can't find any, get a Et Une Rose FO dupe and you'll be happy.