Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I love Sudha Segara and agree that it is both citrusy (the ginger is very lemony in it) and creamy. Have you tried Zephyr or Alice? I get a lot of vanilla out of both:

Zephyr
(Bewitching Brews) - Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

Alice
(Mad Tea Party) - Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

For a straight-up citrus + vanilla scent (it smells just like an orange creamsicle), try:

Kuang Shi
(Diabolus) - Mandarin orange, white musk, mango, and white sandalwood.

Let's seeeee

I have an aged bottle of Sudha Segara (I don't even know how old it is... at least two years) but I should probably try it fresh. I get something like mild ginger tea from the aged version (still lovely).

I tried Zephyr about a year ago and it went straight to men's deodorant on me, which was beyond weird.

I know I have an imp of Alice somewhere around here. I'll try to dig it up. And Kuang Shi sounds like something I absolutely have to try. I love all of those notes!

Thanks!

I can't recall who was seeking a smell-alike for Lolita Lempicka, but I just noticed The Emathides smells a lot like it, except without the anise/licorice note.

Oh man. That must be why I fell so hard for The Emathides when I smelled it recently.

Let's seeeee

I have an aged bottle of Sudha Segara (I don't even know how old it is... at least two years) but I should probably try it fresh. I get something like mild ginger tea from the aged version (still lovely).

I tried Zephyr about a year ago and it went straight to men's deodorant on me, which was beyond weird.

I know I have an imp of Alice somewhere around here. I'll try to dig it up. And Kuang Shi sounds like something I absolutely have to try. I love all of those notes!

Thanks!

I also find that aged Sudha Segara smells like mild ginger tea... that's when I like it best! But when it's fresh, it's much more citrusy-zingy-assertive. :smilenod:

That's interesting about Zephyr; I've heard that complaint about white musk scents sometimes, but it's not something I've personally experienced. I tend to amp anything sweet, vanillic, or "girly," though (much to my dismay). :P

You could also try layering a vanilla scent like Mouse's Long and Sad Tale with something like Severin (pure bergamot on my skin) or Croquet...

It was starting to seriously bother me that I couldn't figure out what Zephyr reminded me of, and then this morning I cleaned out my tackle box of old -- sometimes REALLY old -- makeup and perfume. It's Bonne Bell Skin Musk. Like, exactly. So if you're one of the approximately three people who 1) love BBSM and 2) can't get out to a Walmart to pick up a bottle, BPAL's here to save the day.

Thank you again! If anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear more thoughts on this topic. It's so fun to hear what other people have to say about scents I love. :D

Beatrice, I just tested Florence and found it somewhat similar to D&G red cap. It didn't have the same "oomph" of D&G, but the general floral-oriental feeling was similar.

I would love to hear anybody's suggestions on floriental blends. Now that the weather is getting warmer, scents that mix florals with woods, resins, amber and incense are particularly appealing.

I'd love to find a BPAL match for Estee lauder Bronze Goddess. It's a glorious summer scent--what suntan lotion should smell like, but also very subtle and sexy. The notes I could find on it are: coconut milk, sandalwood, vanilla, vetiver, myrrh, amber, mandarin, bergamot, lemon, orange, tiare flower, jasmine, magnolia, orange blossom and lavender. For some reason this is one of the few coconut-based scents that doesn't turn plasticky on me.Anyone else love this scent and have a BPAL with coconut that they like too? Is there even a BPAL with coconut and sandalwood, and one that isn't too heavy on the florals? I'd love to find something like this for summer. The one BPAL coconut scent so far that works on me is Obatala, but it's completely different with the watery note. I want a warm, sexy, subtle coconut scent. Any suggestions?Parrot_Suspect, I just saw your reply--thank you! I'll have to track down a sniffie of Florence to give it a try.

I've only tried Velvet Bandito once, but it reminded me a lot of Demeter's Humidor (except VB has some more 'oomph', and has a powdery element).

So if you like Humidor, but found that it didn't last long enough, Velvet Bandito could be just what you're looking for.

What about "Féminité du Bois" by Shiseido ?

Top notes : Ginger, Cinnamon, Clove

Middle notes : Plum, Peach, Orange blossom, Violet

Base notes : Cedar wood, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Benzoin

Thank you ^^

Parrot_suspect, you may want to try Zorya from the Excolio line.

Thank you again! If anyone else has ideas, I'd love to hear more thoughts on this topic. It's so fun to hear what other people have to say about scents I love. :D

Beatrice, I just tested Florence and found it somewhat similar to D&G red cap. It didn't have the same "oomph" of D&G, but the general floral-oriental feeling was similar.

I would love to hear anybody's suggestions on floriental blends. Now that the weather is getting warmer, scents that mix florals with woods, resins, amber and incense are particularly appealing.

Thanks, Fireweaver...I think I have a Zorya imp, so I'll give it a try.

Capiteuse, you want something woodsy/spicy. I'd suggest Anne Bonny, Aureus or maybe The Black Tower.

Thank you for the suggestions Parrot_suspect,. I'm picky so I didn't like Black Tower (too loud and masculine), and I'm affraid Anne Bonny and Aureus doesn't work, respectively because of the red patchouli and the vetivert.

Thank you for the suggestions Parrot_suspect,. I'm picky so I didn't like Black Tower (too loud and masculine), and I'm affraid Anne Bonny and Aureus doesn't work, respectively because of the red patchouli and the vetivert.

Hmm. Have you tried Sri Lanka, Umbra or Magus?

I have a friend who wears the Coach fragrance and I'd love to enable her with some BPAL imps .... any suggestions for this one? I'm going to start researching, of course... but I know there are lots of people here who know the catalog better than I do and might be able to help with imp suggestions. I'd prefer GC's so I can get samples!

Top notes of tart green mandarin, guava, violet petals and water lily

Mid notes of genet flower, honey, orange flower, mimosa and jasmine

Base notes of sandalwood, amberwood and vanilla.

I just recently told my sister-in-law about BPAL (yay for enabling! Two converts in one weekend!) and she asked me if I knew of one that smelled like Eternity by Calvin Klein. I have no idea what Eternity smells like, of course, so I said no but that I'd ask around.

I did a little research and pulled up the following info from the internet. (I went under the assumption she was talking about the "For Women" version, since she's, you know, a woman.)

One site said:

"Eternity is a very nice floral scent that includes notes of mandarin, sage, freesia, patchouli, amber, and sandalwood. It is a very soft, yet still is able to pass as an evening fragrance."

Another site said:

"It starts off on a fresh and slightly citrussy note, followed by a middle note of rosy violet and lily of the valley. The spicy carnation gives the perfume a peppery nuance. Smooth and gentle, it ends on a note of powdery heliotrope and rosy sandalwood with a lingering hint of musk."

The second place also listed the following as the notes:

Freesia, Mandarin, Sage, Violet, Muguet, White Lily, Heliotrope, Patchouli, Sandalwood.

Muguet is apparently lily of the valley.

I have a friend who wears the Coach fragrance and I'd love to enable her with some BPAL imps .... any suggestions for this one? I'm going to start researching, of course... but I know there are lots of people here who know the catalog better than I do and might be able to help with imp suggestions. I'd prefer GC's so I can get samples!

Top notes of tart green mandarin, guava, violet petals and water lily

Mid notes of genet flower, honey, orange flower, mimosa and jasmine

Base notes of sandalwood, amberwood and vanilla.

You could try 51 (Luminescent, glowing, and otherworldly: green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.). It's probably a bit more bracing than the Coach fragrance but that extra bite could be good for approximating the haze you get from alcohol-based perfume.

Other recs:

Eris wet fruits and sharp mimosa with Martial spices and a deceptive flash of floral.

A bright melon-y scent with violets. Very interesting and unusual without being too childlike.

Belle Epoque Sweet opium, Lily of the Valley, vanilla, mandarin and red sandalwood.

Y/N? On the one hand I think a lot of the notes are very similar to Coach but the opium gives me pause--might be a bit headshoppy?

Phantasm Green tea, lemon verbena, jasmine and neroli.

A bit more crisp and citrus--lacks the sweeter fruits.

Zephyr Lemon, lemon verbena, neroli, white musk, white florals, white sandalwood, China musk, bergamot and a drop of vanilla.

Light, clean and unobtrusive. Again lacking the fruit but might appeal anyway.

Skin chemistry is a strange and wonderful thing so definitely toss a few wild cards into the mix. Maybe dragon's blood is magnificent on her skin or maybe she'll wind up being a fiend for lavender. Good luck!

I'm wearing Crawdad Dream today and every time I sniff my wrists I get a strong Lolita Lempicka resemblance. I don't think they share very many notes, so maybe it's my chemistry doing something crazy. :)

.... I'm new to bpal.... looking for suggestions based on what I love to wear from "mainstream scents"... in winter I wear Hypnotic Poison from Dior (bitter almond, caraway spice, sambac jasmine, cinnamon, tuberose, vanilla, musk (glad this is toward the bottom), mosses, jucarunda wood) and in the summer I wear Leila by geir ness (norwegian lillies, watermelon, norwegian sunflowers). Any comparable scents here?

anyone know a good dupe for Les Belles de Ricci?

Notes: bergamot, citrus and peach. The middle notes are: lemon, honey and orange blossom and the base of the fragrance is: vetiver, oakmoss and sandalwood.

Hi,

I used to wear Lancome Miracle. I was really found of it. However, i dont know the notes in the perfume : ( Is there anyone who knows this scent and suggest a BPAL oil alike ?

This is an opposite recommendation, but for fans of Monster Bait: Underpants, try Bvlgari Omnia. The saffron note in Omnia is the same as the one for Underpants to my nose, and smells freakin AMAZING!!! My friend wore Omnia to work today and I thought it was Underpants.

Schmells good.

anyone know a good dupe for Les Belles de Ricci?

Notes: bergamot, citrus and peach. The middle notes are: lemon, honey and orange blossom and the base of the fragrance is: vetiver, oakmoss and sandalwood.

Which colour bottle is this in? I don't recognise this one at all. I know the green one - tomato, the yellow spicy one, and the blue - almond, but the notes you mention don't fit with any of these.

Hi all!

I am a newbie, waiting for my first imps - there are so many that I am interested in, wow!

I was wondering if anyone knew of these fragrances -

- Child Perfume by Susan Owens : " This intoxicating fragrance is derived from brilliant exotic white flowers that dry to a crisp white floral. " I found another description that described it as jasmine, but it isn't really. I think the closest is pikake, with some gardenia & jasmine maybe? I love child, but it is so expensive!

The other one is:

1903 by J. Peterman. The description on the website says: "The report said: an “old woody fougère.” Clean citrus notes, bergamot, "green notes." The middle notes: clary sage…cardamom. The dry-down: leather notes, smoky labdanum…elemi, tabac, frankincense." Lots of notes, I know! It is a men's cologne, but smells fabulous on women too.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Laura

Okay, Prada's eau de parfum lists:

Bergamot Oil Italian, Orange Oil, Bitter Orange Oil, Mandarin Flower, Mimosa India, Rose Absolute ABS, Schinus Molle ABS LMR, Peru Balsam, Patchouli Oil LMR, Raspberry Flower, Labdanum Resinoide LMR, Tonka Bean ABS LMR, Vanilla Absolute, Musk, Sandalwood Oil.

And BPAL's "The Sea Rat" from the 2008 Wind in the Willows lists:

Seaweed, ambergris, and sea buckthorn berry with exotic herbs, incense smoke, ship wood, and Burmese musk.

Yet on me, the two scents are all but identical. I don't know if my chemistry has gone absolutely haywire or what, but I can't tell the different between these two.