Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I bought an imp of Scherezade and to my nose it smells EXACTLY like Dior Hypnotic Poison which I also own.

Ooops, I didn't know about this thread before I posted my own topic! Sorry ladies. I'll put it in here as well.

I don't wear perfume other than BPAL, and the occasional Bath and Body Works spray, so I need some help with this one. Here is the description pulled from the Ann Taylor website for Possibilities:

A delicate and classic fragrance, possibilities is a bouquet of Bulgarian Rose, Waterlily, Blue Rose, Peach Musk, and Exotic Woods.

Trying to find BPAL scents that would be similar, as a birthday gift for my co-worker/work friend. I haven't smelled this before, at least not to my knowledge, and I totally do not want to go up and smell this woman. So if anyone wears this perfume, or knows which imps I can get her that would be similar, please let me know! Thanks. :P

So, I'm generally someone who really doesn't care for traditional perfume, they tend to smell alcohol-y, which overpowers any of the other niceness underneath. But...yesterday I was in Sephora and happened to dab on a little bit of L de Lolita Lempicka and omg I am in love with it.

On Sephora's website the notes are listed as: Bitter Orange, Cinnamon, Immortal, Vanilla, Precious Woods, Solar Notes, Musk.

It's weird, I was expecting something more salty/aquatic from the bottle, and I think I got mostly the woods, vanilla and musk. Anyone have any idea if there's a BPAL that smells similar? *hopeful*

I am desperately seeking something that smells like Vanilla Fields by Coty which is described on their website as Vanilla sparkling mimosa and jasmine.

-or-

really light floral scents, but nothing really strong and nothing too flowery. Like apple blossoms and gardenia, honeysuckles, the really light florals

I am desperately seeking something that smells like . . .

really light floral scents, but nothing really strong and nothing too flowery. Like apple blossoms and gardenia, honeysuckles, the really light florals

Have you tried La Belle Au Bois Dormant?

"The Sleeping Beauty. A gentle, lovely scent, slightly soporific, but beautiful in its quiet repose. Plumeria and white pear, Damascus rose, tuberose, magnolia and evening dew"

I just got it as a frimp, and while I don't care for florals, I'd say it is lovely and very light and fresh. It's really quite lovely.

I'm trying to find something for my friend who wants something like Imari by Avon-

topnotes: Aldehydes, Bergamot, Galbanum

middlenotes: Muguet, Ylang-Ylang, Orris, Tuberose

basenotes: Musk, Vanilla, Sandal, Cedar, Amber

Thank you!

I've been looking for a similarity to Princess by Vera Wang (my mom's favourite), and I'm wondering if anyone has tried Great Sword of War, 51, Les Bijoux, Privilege, Siren, Canaval Diabolique, or Haloes? The notes look to be fairly comparable:

GSoW - Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.

51 - green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

Les Bijoux - Skin musk and honey, blood-red rose, orange blossom, white peach, red apple, frankincense and myrrh.

Privilege - Armoise, tuberose, white citrus, rose absolute, oakmoss, tiare, tuberose, vanilla, linden, and lemon tree blossom.

Siren - White ginger, jasmine, and a touch of vanilla and apricot.

Carnaval Diabolique - opium smoke, lemon flower, heliotrope, tuberose, black musk, vanilla, coconut, apricot flower.

Haloes - Oak, tonka, vanilla, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, white ginger, amber, and apricot.

Princess - Water Lily, Lady Apple, Mandarin Meringue, Golden Apricot Skin, Ripe Pink Guava, Tahitian Flower, Wild Tuberose, Dark Chocolate, Pink Frosting Accord, Precious Amber, Forbidden Woods, Royal Musk Captive, Chiffon Vanilla.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by crebbsgirl

Hi! I love Princess too, and I found Haloes to be Princess's awesome older sister. It has that pretty vanilla fruity love but the oak and apricot gives it a very comforting, warm feel.

Definitely stay far, far away from GSoW and Carnival Diabolique, they are both very dark, gritty, incense-heavy blends. Privilege looks like it would be good, too, judging by the notes, but I've never tried it.

Definitely Haloes, though. Hope she likes it!

I've been looking for a similarity to Princess by Vera Wang (my mom's favourite), and I'm wondering if anyone has tried Great Sword of War, 51, Les Bijoux, Privilege, Siren, Canaval Diabolique, or Haloes? The notes look to be fairly comparable:

GSoW - Mandarin, tonka, saffron, black tea, cocoa, tobacco leaf, sanguine red musk and five classical herbs of conflict.

51 - green mandarin, neroli, honeydew, white amber, guava, freesia, white and green musks hovering over desert scrub, smashed wood, and the dry, biting scent of night air over the Groom Lake salt flats.

Les Bijoux - Skin musk and honey, blood-red rose, orange blossom, white peach, red apple, frankincense and myrrh.

Privilege - Armoise, tuberose, white citrus, rose absolute, oakmoss, tiare, tuberose, vanilla, linden, and lemon tree blossom.

Carnaval Diabolique - opium smoke, lemon flower, heliotrope, tuberose, black musk, vanilla, coconut, apricot flower.

Haloes - Oak, tonka, vanilla, white sandalwood, lily of the valley, white ginger, amber, and apricot.

Princess - Water Lily, Lady Apple, Mandarin Meringue, Golden Apricot Skin, Ripe Pink Guava, Tahitian Flower, Wild Tuberose, Dark Chocolate, Pink Frosting Accord, Precious Amber, Forbidden Woods, Royal Musk Captive, Chiffon Vanilla.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks so much Eoife! I'm looking at Christmas presents, so I really appreciate the help. :P

Hi! I love Princess too, and I found Haloes to be Princess's awesome older sister. It has that pretty vanilla fruity love but the oak and apricot gives it a very comforting, warm feel.

Definitely stay far, far away from GSoW and Carnival Diabolique, they are both very dark, gritty, incense-heavy blends. Privilege looks like it would be good, too, judging by the notes, but I've never tried it.

Definitely Haloes, though. Hope she likes it!

Hey folks! I'm trying to get my mom away from perfume that I can't stand (chemicals trigger my asthma or something) and into a BPAL she'll love.

The only perfume she wears, daily, is Givenchy's Organza Indecence. I can't smell it to tell what kind of notes I'd be looking for - so can anyone recommend anything to me? Please? In time for Yule?

Hello! Please help this relative newbie? :P

I'm looking for BPAL equivalents to my two favourite perfumes from my childhood, both of which I'm pretty sure have been discontinued, as I haven't been able to find them anywhere for years.

The first is Emeraude. This one suited me very well even as a youngster, and I got plenty of compliments on it.

The second is Xia Xiang. I remember it as being something of a floriental, which is one of my favourite types of scent.

Any help from someone who remembers these scents would be greatly appreciated!

Hey folks! I'm trying to get my mom away from perfume that I can't stand (chemicals trigger my asthma or something) and into a BPAL she'll love.

The only perfume she wears, daily, is Givenchy's Organza Indecence. I can't smell it to tell what kind of notes I'd be looking for - so can anyone recommend anything to me? Please? In time for Yule?

Here is a description and notes from Now Smell This:

described as a woody-spicy fragrance; the notes include jacaranda wood (aka palisander or Brazilian rosewood), cinnamon, amber, vanilla and patchouli

Wow, it sounds lovely. Now I have to think of some recommendations. :P

I coudln't find an exact top/middle/base note list for Givenchy, but I did find the notes: cinnamon, patchouli, musk and amber. So it's a woodsy, softly spicy scent with a touch of sensuality from the musk and amber. A few suggestions:

Umbra Bewitching Brews East African black patchouli, cedarwood, vetiver and a dribble of cinnamon.

I haven't tried this, but I get a sense from the vetiver and cedar, it's not going to have the same skin hugging warmth that the original perfume would have. Is woodsy and spicy.

Bloodlust Diabolus Dragon's blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

I think this one might be a really good bet. The red musk is warm and skin like, the patchouli and cinnamon are both present and the vetiver will add more depth to the woodsiness. The dragon's blood will either add a bit more resin/spice or a slightly floral quality depending on her skin chemistry.

Sin Sin and Salvation amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon

Lacks the musk but has a lot of the same qualities as Givenchy. May not be as sweet.

War Good Omens Red ginger, black spices, patchouli, honeysuckle, and three blood-soaked red musks

It's a bit savoury and the ginger is quite prominant. If you come across a decant, she might like it.

Lust Sin and Salvation red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

Myrhh adds a spicy quality you would get from the cinnamon and the red musk/patchouli combo is drop dead gorgeous.

For Emeraude, I found the notes were: jasmine, orange, and other citrus florals. Ending with spices and sandalwood. Jasmine can be problematic in an oil versus a spray, but it's one of my very favourite notes in the BPAL catalogue. Some suggestions:

New Orleans Wanderlust Sweet honeysuckle and jasmine with a hint of lemon and spice

The lemon gives it a citrus-y quality and it's overall just a beautiful, womanly scent.

Ave Maria Gratia Plena Ars Amatoria Rosewood with Sicilian lemon peel, red Mysore sandalwood, pale musks, sweet mountain sage and a dusting of lily, night-blooming jasmine and orris.

Complex and light. The jasmine isn't at the forefront but if you amp jasmine, that's probably a good thing.

Namaste Bewitching Brews Sandalwood, jasmine, rose, patchouli, cedarwood and lemongrass.

It might be a bit headshoppy/hippie-ish, but it's fresh and natural and sweetened considerably by the presence of jasmine and rose.

The Obsidian Widow Steamworks Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

I'm wearing this today and it's an exquisite jasmine blend. It's a bit darker and murkier than the Coty scent, but the jasmine really comes through to the forefront and creates a sweet and slightly naughty top note.

For Xia Xiang, I found the notes: Gardenia, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley (Muguet), Tangerine, Vanilla. I immediately thought of:

Belle Epoque Bewitching Brews sweet opium, Lily of the Valley, vanilla, mandarin and red sandalwood[/b]

The opium can be proeblematic--it has a burned out candle smell which some people love and some people hate--but this is almost spot on for notes and feeling.

Kubla Khan Bewitching Brews serpentine opium smoke and amber tobacco, golden sandalwood, champaca, tea leaf, sugared lily, ginger, rich hay absolute, leather, dark vanilla, mandarin, peru balsam, and Moroccan jasmine.

More complex than the original scent, but definitely falls into the floriental category, although it may not be as crisp.

Peitho Excolo Lusty myrtle and jasmine with red sandalwood, stargazer lily, and clove over an opulent, rich bed of warm musk and bourbon vanilla.

Again, I think it's less crisp than the original scent, but it captures that warm senuality with the floral/vanilla blend.

Hopefully that helps you both. It definitley helped me pass some time with an empty inbox :P

Thanks muchly for the suggestions! I'm going to snag a bunch of them. I find it SO weird to have an idea of what I'm missing out on her perfume - it sounds like it would be lovely! I'm pretty shocked actually. :P

Thanks for the help :D

i find 51 to be a dead ringer for Clinique's Happy, if that helps at all.

& Privilege is very weedy and harshly floral.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks eleventhousand! I'll probably stay away from that one then!! :D Now, to track down Haloes.... :P

i find 51 to be a dead ringer for Clinique's Happy, if that helps at all.

& Privilege is very weedy and harshly floral.

Thanks everyone!

From basenotes.com, the notes I found for Emeraude:

Top: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange

Middle: Jasmine, Rose, Rosewood, Ylang-ylang

Base: Opoponax, Benzene, patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla

This list isn't ringing any bells for me, but maybe it'll be useful for someone else, or if you feel like searching the lab's listing.

No luck on a note search for Xia Xiang. :P

I have recently fell for L'Occitane Cherry Blossom EDT.

Listed notes from their site:

• Top notes: Cherry, Freesia, Blackcurrant

• Heart notes: Cherry blossom, Lily of the valley

• Base notes: Rosewood, Amber, Musk

This is their new-er scents so this may be a bit difficult.

I usually really dislike the smell of Cherries, especially for those which smell like cough medicine, but Cherry Blossom seems to be the only odd one out.

Aside to that I am also partial to The Body Shop Spa Wisdom Africa Spa range.

Is anyone is able to recommend something similar I can try out for these 2 (Other than Kyoto because I am so going to try that!)?

Oh and I absolutely have to agree with Shanghai and L'Occitane lemon Verbena range!

fairhall, try a blend of Queen of Hearts and The Red Queen. Both have cherry, but it seems to fade pretty quickly.

QoH: Lily of the Valley, Calla Lily, stephanotis and a drop of cherry.

RQ: Deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant.

fairhall, try a blend of Queen of Hearts and The Red Queen. Both have cherry, but it seems to fade pretty quickly.

QoH: Lily of the Valley, Calla Lily, stephanotis and a drop of cherry.

RQ: Deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant.

Thank you so much Ahania!

I will try both of them once I managed to get my hands on them :P