Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

I am wondering if anyone could help me pin down some BPALs that are similar to two perfumes by Strange Invisible Perfumes, Heroine and Arunima. I love 'em, but they are ridiculous expensive. I mean ridiculous. Thank god for BPAL's prices.

Here are the notes:

Heroine: ginger, tuberose, frangipani, opoponax and Moroccan cedarwood (a little quick Wikipedia-ing has uncovered that frangipani and plumeria are the same thing).

Arunima:A hypnotic elixir of blue lotus, Madagascan vanilla, frankincense and lavender from Kashmir is finely sequined with ginger, cardamom and key lime.

I'm not attached to finding a perfect match, of course, but part of the reason for this post is just to help me begin to figure out what notes I like. I was always allergic to synthetic perfumes and only discovered my natural options recently. Ipso facto, I've only begun developing my nose and discovering what I like and don't like recently. I think part of what I really enjoy in both of them is the ginger. They both retain the gingery-woodsy spice on the drydown, Heroine in a somewhat floral way (not overpoweringly so) and Arunima in a vaguely foody way. I find that they are also both relatively ballanced perfumes and no one particular note stands out glaringly to my untrained nose. Of course, untrained nose might be the operative phrase in that sentence.

I must warn that, having tried a few BPAL scents now, I am beginning to realize that I want to avoid incense scents like the plague. What notes smell like incense/hippie shop to me? Well, I'm not sure. I know that's not helpful, but I thought any well wishing advisers might want to know.

Thanks a bundle for your help!

I am wondering if anyone could help me pin down some BPALs that are similar to two perfumes by Strange Invisible Perfumes, Heroine and Arunima. I love 'em, but they are ridiculous expensive. I mean ridiculous. Thank god for BPAL's prices.

Here are the notes:

Heroine: ginger, tuberose, frangipani, opoponax and Moroccan cedarwood (a little quick Wikipedia-ing has uncovered that frangipani and plumeria are the same thing).

Arunima:A hypnotic elixir of blue lotus, Madagascan vanilla, frankincense and lavender from Kashmir is finely sequined with ginger, cardamom and key lime.

I'm not attached to finding a perfect match, of course, but part of the reason for this post is just to help me begin to figure out what notes I like. I was always allergic to synthetic perfumes and only discovered my natural options recently. Ipso facto, I've only begun developing my nose and discovering what I like and don't like recently. I think part of what I really enjoy in both of them is the ginger. They both retain the gingery-woodsy spice on the drydown, Heroine in a somewhat floral way (not overpoweringly so) and Arunima in a vaguely foody way. I find that they are also both relatively ballanced perfumes and no one particular note stands out glaringly to my untrained nose. Of course, untrained nose might be the operative phrase in that sentence.

I must warn that, having tried a few BPAL scents now, I am beginning to realize that I want to avoid incense scents like the plague. What notes smell like incense/hippie shop to me? Well, I'm not sure. I know that's not helpful, but I thought any well wishing advisers might want to know.

Thanks a bundle for your help!

Sandalwood, champaca and patchouli are generally head shop notes; however don't let these notes themselves steer you away from blends. Always read the reviews if something sounds incensy to you. Can you list the ones you tried and found too incense-y?

The most famous and possibly the most well-loved ginger blend here is Shub-Niggurath: A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices. Sweet tasty ginger.

How about La Mort Qui Danse? Maybe peppery, check the reviews: Black pepper, white ginger, Calla lily, and lily of the valley. I've found that the lab's black pepper is PEPPER, and their white pepper is not :P

Mag Mell is a popular scent that I've never tried: warmth of amber, the puissance of white ginger and the clarity of verbena, with fresh green grass, lush sage and cleansing droplets of summer rain.

Pepper! Wild English roses, French gardenia, vanilla, honey, golden ginger, blood orange, tuberose, bergamot, and geranium.

Have fun!

Sandalwood, champaca and patchouli are generally head shop notes; however don't let these notes themselves steer you away from blends. Always read the reviews if something sounds incensy to you. Can you list the ones you tried and found too incense-y?

The most famous and possibly the most well-loved ginger blend here is Shub-Niggurath: A blend of ritual herbs and dark resins, shot through with three gingers and aphrodisiacal spices. Sweet tasty ginger.

How about La Mort Qui Danse? Maybe peppery, check the reviews: Black pepper, white ginger, Calla lily, and lily of the valley. I've found that the lab's black pepper is PEPPER, and their white pepper is not :P

Mag Mell is a popular scent that I've never tried: warmth of amber, the puissance of white ginger and the clarity of verbena, with fresh green grass, lush sage and cleansing droplets of summer rain.

Pepper! Wild English roses, French gardenia, vanilla, honey, golden ginger, blood orange, tuberose, bergamot, and geranium.

Have fun!

Well, thinking back on it, the main blends I found too incense-y were Scherezade and Mama-ji. Mama-ji actually gets a lot better after an hour or two, but it's a bit much for me on first application. Makes my nose itch. It might be something I like better in the cold weather. I'm not necessarily against any of the notes you mentioned as headshoppy (trying to be open-minded here, patchouli scares me the most, sandalwood the least). I mean, I don't really know enough about my tastes at this point to eliminate a blend because of a single note. So, yeah, take what I said with a grain of salt, I guess.

Wow, Pepper sounds great! I'll have to search the forums for it 'cause it's unimpable but those notes look enticing. Looks like it could match the general 'feel' of Heroine with the ginger and the florals...

Is anyone familiar with a perfume called Ed Hardy "Love Kills Slowly"? They sell it at Macy's and Sephora among other places. It is beaucoup bucks but smells amazing. It is described as a fruity floral with the following notes: apple soufle, mango, strawberry, grapefruit, fresdsia, muguet,linden, amber, musk, vanilla.

Any BPAL suggestions that might be similar? I have Poisoned Apple and The Hesperides, and Ladon, and none of these apple scents are anything like Love Kills Slowly. I am open to all help! Thank you!

DarkBeauty28, I'd suggest the following: Nocnitsa, Baneberry, Glasgow.

ETA: Also, Ile de la Tortue dries down very similar to Chloe.

Edited by septima_pica

Is anyone familiar with Cartier's Le Baiser du Dragon?

I tried this at Sephora and was surprised how much I liked it.

Here is a description, I think this description is from the makers rather than a customer review:

A masterpiece of unique origin, the scent blends a variety of powerful elements. Delicate, sweet top notes of bitter almond, neroli orange, and gardenia. Woody, powdery heart notes of iris, cedar, and musk; Bulgarian rose, unique to the parfum blend, imparts a deep, mellow scent. And earthy, sensual base notes of vetiver, patchouli, and benzoin.

The one I tried was not the Parfum, so there wasn't the Bulgarian rose. Basically, it is an oriental but sweeter than Samsara. It didn't have any spicy notes.

Are there any BPALs that might come close? Especially if there is a Salon scent that might be similar as so far I have really enjoyed the salon scents I've tried.

thanks for any ideas

Edited by Myrrha

does anyone know a bpal that smells similar to fresh's cannabis santal? they say it's a men's scent, but i find it rather sexy for a woman. anyway, here are the notes, according to fresh's website-

# Top: Bergamot, Brazilian Orange, Black Plum

# Heart: Patchouli, Cannabis Accord, Rose

# Base: Chocolate, Vetiver, Vanilla Musks

does anyone know a bpal that smells similar to fresh's cannabis santal? they say it's a men's scent, but i find it rather sexy for a woman. anyway, here are the notes, according to fresh's website-

The only BPAL that I find smells like cannabis is Bien Loin D'ici, but I think it might be just me :P

The only BPAL that I find smells like cannabis is Bien Loin D'ici, but I think it might be just me :P

haha, well cannabis santal doesn't really smell all that much like cannabis to me, even though it's in there. it's more like a green-chocolate-vanilla.

i think i tried bien loin d'ici and it didn't work on me :/

I agree with YeahButNot who said that Death on a Pale Horse is reminiscent of Shalimar.

Shalimar was my favourite perfume, from when I was a little kid-- up until I got into BPAL, and yes, there is a similarity.

I think Youth Dew and Poison fans will love Snake Oil, too. :P

And Twilight reminds me of Joy (which happens to be my mother's favourite high-end perfume.)

This is such a long-shot, but...Ralph Lauren Pure Turquoise, anyone?

All I could find was this vague description from RL:

An exotic floral mystery of dewy cassis, night blooming cereus and earthen patchouli

My mom went through stages where she'd wear only one perfume. When I was really little, it was Red Door. When I was 6-9, it was White Diamonds. At some point when I was still young, it was Versace's Blue Jeans. Recently it's been the light pink (lily) version of Angel and The Body Shop's Japanese Cherry Blossom mixed together. However, the scent I always associated with her was the one from the restaurant she used to work at. It was very specific, the smell. She always smelled like their food, lol. Now she smells like strong perfume.

Speaking of White Diamonds, does anyone have a dupe for that?

My Mother-in-Law loves it, and I'd love to surprise her with it.

Does anyone know a similar scent to Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri? The notes are:

hawthorn blossom, bulgarian rose absolute, precious woods, vanilla, Comores flowers, white almond, musk

Another favorite of mine is Carthusia Fiori Di Capri

these notes are:

The Mediterranean notes of wild carnation, lily of the valley and oak come together with the exotic aroma of amber, sandal and ylang ylang in a fascinating, joyful, unforgettable melange.

Thanks! :P

Does anyone know a similar scent to Loukhoum by Keiko Mecheri? The notes are:

hawthorn blossom, bulgarian rose absolute, precious woods, vanilla, Comores flowers, white almond, musk

Another favorite of mine is Carthusia Fiori Di Capri

these notes are:

The Mediterranean notes of wild carnation, lily of the valley and oak come together with the exotic aroma of amber, sandal and ylang ylang in a fascinating, joyful, unforgettable melange.

Thanks! :P

Sounds vaguely like Three Brides:

Moroccan rose, king mandarin, red sandalwood, Egyptian amber, orchid, carnation, benzoin, tonka, calla lily, vanilla flower.

Sounds vaguely like Three Brides:

Moroccan rose, king mandarin, red sandalwood, Egyptian amber, orchid, carnation, benzoin, tonka, calla lily, vanilla flower.

Ooh thanks! I'll add that to my list :P It sounds great

I'm still looking for similar perfumes to English Waterlilies and Estee

Couldn't find anything about English Waterlilies, but here's the info on Estee:

A rich floral bouquet edp with top notes of rose and coriander, heart notes of lily of the valley, jasmine and carnation on base notes of oak moss and sandalwood.

Hopefully someone can help!

The Ifrit reminds me of a classic perfumey perfume. Not sure which one; it might be Opium or Chanel No. 5, or just a general "classic perfume" feel - it's ambery, musky and warm. Beautiful. If you buy it as a gift for an older relative, though, you might not want to mention that it's inspired by gay sex with a fire demon.

Greetings from a newbie!

I'm looking for a couple of things.

1. Something that resembles Thierry Mugler's Cologne.

Thierry Mugler launched Cologne, his third fragrance, in 2001. Mugler reportedly wanted to recreate the smell of skin after using a certain soap that he had brought back from a trip to Morocco; Cologne was developed by nose Alberto Morillas and features notes of bergamot, neroli, petitgrain, orange blossom, white musk, and a secret, trademarked note called "S".

1. Something like Ysatis.

Discovered in 1985, Ysatis is an elegant, soft, woody fragrance. This feminine scent contains a blend of mandarin, oakmoss, rose, iris, vanilla, clove,and amber. Ysatis is recommended as a daytime fragrance.

Thanks in advance.

Di

I'm looking for something that would resemble Armani Code for women.. or liz claiborne's mambo for men...

from what i found armani code for women has:

has notes of of orange, orange blossom, ginger, pear sorbet, jasmine, vanilla, woods and lavender honey.

and Glo by JLO has

Orange Flower,Pink Grapefruit, Neroli, Rose

Sandalwood, Soft Amber, Jasmine

Vanilla, Musk, Orris

and i am not sure what Mambo has....

Edited by Aonochi

I tried Burberry Brit again recently - and I love it even more now. I think its because my nose is more educated :P

These are the notes - what would you recommend?

Top Notes: Italian Lime, Icy Pear, Crisp Green Almond.

Middle Notes: Sugared Almond, White Peony.

Base Notes: Amber, Mahogany, Vanilla, Tonka.

I'm looking for something that would resemble Armani Code for women.. or liz claiborne's mambo for men...

from what i found armani code for women has:

has notes of of orange, orange blossom, ginger, pear sorbet, jasmine, vanilla, woods and lavender honey.

and Glo by JLO has

Orange Flower,Pink Grapefruit, Neroli, Rose

Sandalwood, Soft Amber, Jasmine

Vanilla, Musk, Orris

and i am not sure what Mambo has....

Here's Mambo for men, hopefully someone can help from here:

Top notes are lime, lavender, bergamot and lemon verbena; middle notes are rose, caraway, orange blossom, patchouli, cinnamon, lily-of-the-valley, cedar and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, patchouli, musk and balsam fir.

Liz Claiborne Mambo is my favorite traditional perfume - its notes:

Top Notes

Mango, Mandarin.

Middle Notes

Ginger, Orange blossom.

Base Notes

Sandalwood

I would also love to find something similar to this, although for me the mandarin, ginger and to some degree orange blossom are all more important than the mango or sandalwood. So far Fire Pig is a bit like a BPAL version. I'd also like to try Kubla Khan:

Through sunlit caves of ice, roses unfurl amidst dancing waves of serpentine opium smoke and amber tobacco, golden sandalwood, champaca, tea leaf, sugared lily, ginger, rich hay absolute, leather, dark vanilla, mandarin, peru balsam, and Moroccan jasmine.

Or Vixen might be kind of close, though I don't remember liking it myself:

The innocence of orange blossom tainted by the beguiling scents of ginger and patchouli.

I'd love to hear some other suggestions though.

Ok here's a challenge. My stepmom is visiting and she was intrigued by my little pile of imps in the living room. She mentioned that her favorite perfume was discontinued and was there a similar BPAL?

Her scent is the old Shiseido Zen from 1964. It's confusing because they've reformulated Zen twice and they're all very different. She only likes the original. From what I can gather it is:

"Woods, spice, a little incense, some aldehydes. It's a "little black dress" perfume, very classy, quite masculine. Nothing sweet or gourmand, and not particularly floral, either."

and

"jasmine, rose, burnished woods, and soft mosses"

It is an oriental/spicy perfume and I don't recall it being floral at all, but it's probably been 15 years since I've smelled it, so I'd say more woods and not much jasmine or rose. I don't know what aldehydes are.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aonochi: The search for an equivalent of Armani Code for Women is what brought me to BPAL. Heh Heh. I didn't want to spend $45 on a bottle of perfume. :P Needless to say, I haven't found it yet and I kind of got distracted along the way.

Aaaaaaannnnnnnddddddd................. lately aged Mme Moriarty is reminding me a LOT of an old '80's perfume that I wore in high-school/college called Lou Lou by Cacharel. I'm not sure why because they don't really have much in common other than vanilla. Lou Lou has Jasmine, Mimosa, Orange, Tiare Lily, Iris, Sandalwood, Vanilla & Incense. I think maybe the incense is similar to the patchouli leaf in Mme Moriarty.

Edited by Hoyden

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aonochi: The search for an equivalent of Armani Code for Women is what brought me to BPAL. Heh Heh. I didn't want to spend $45 on a bottle of perfume. :P Needless to say, I haven't found it yet and I kind of got distracted along the way.

Ha! yes I'm still hunting bpal.... and the distractions are a plenty. :D