Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Looking for a BPAL that Resembles a Favorite Perfume

Policyoftruth, BPAL has a very nice pineapple note, but I don't think that Beth uses it in a lot of blends. It sounds like the L'artisan blend is based around that note (I haven't smelled it myself, but since they named it Ananas Fizz, I am assuming a little bit).

If you click here, you should get the results of a search that you can then skim over. I searched through the Recs subforum for all the posts where the word "pineapple" was mentioned. If the link gives you problems, go to the search form and try this: search for "pineapple" highlighting the Recommendations subforum only, specifying that post text and titles should be searched and results displayed as posts (as opposed to topics).

You can also try the same search in the Reviews subforum to see if any additional scents pop up!

Looks like Drink Me, Elegba, Tzadikim Nistarim, and Shango are most frequently mentioned and the new GC addition Defutata is getting a few comments. The 2007 version of Milk Moon also gets mentioned a bit, but it could be harder to track down. I'd try the GC ones first since you can order imps so easily, then if nothing seems similar, you can branch out into old LEs... :P

zankoku_zen, there's nothing worse than when a bad memory ruins a nice scent! I knew a girl who wore Coco back in the 80s but she smoked so damn much that she warped the smell into something awful - so when I smelled the normal, should-have-been-lovely Coco on anyone else I would get so grossed out by it even though the ashtray reek element was missing. If I smelled Coco today I bet I would have the same reaction.

zankoku_zen, there's nothing worse than when a bad memory ruins a nice scent! I knew a girl who wore Coco back in the 80s but she smoked so damn much that she warped the smell into something awful - so when I smelled the normal, should-have-been-lovely Coco on anyone else I would get so grossed out by it even though the ashtray reek element was missing. If I smelled Coco today I bet I would have the same reaction.

It's funny, but you do associate a smell with a person. I smell Angel and it starts minor heart palpitations because I'm worried I'll run into my ex-boss.

For me, Chanel #5 is what my mother wore when she wore perfume (my dad is horribly allergic). So while I like the smell, I would never be able to wear it. More importantly, I shouldn't want to *hug* random strangers just because they smell like my mother... :P

It's funny, but you do associate a smell with a person. I smell Angel and it starts minor heart palpitations because I'm worried I'll run into my ex-boss.

For me, Chanel #5 is what my mother wore when she wore perfume (my dad is horribly allergic). So while I like the smell, I would never be able to wear it. More importantly, I shouldn't want to *hug* random strangers just because they smell like my mother... :D

Wow! My daughter said the exact same thing! In fact, Chanel No.5 was my scent too (the eau de cologne though, not the perfume which I found too strong) until I discovered BPAL. Now I don't wear anything but BPAL and my daughter says she doesn't 'recognize' me by smell any more! :P

On the other hand, I've totally enabled her with the Salon Sunflowers!

Red Door reminds me of a happy summer I spent reading Oz books and making my own Oz paper dolls:) I think my mom must have worn it at the time, because every time I smell it I get this barely graspable memory of Ozziness and wistful wishes to go to Oz and my Mommy:)

I think I have heard of BPAL that reminded someone of Red Door...maybe I should research this!

Now, on the other hand---Estee Lauder's Beautiful makes me want to vomit. It reminds me of this friend I had in highschool that was totally crazy and a verbally abusive bitch to me. I smell it, and it smells cold and soulless and evil to me.

My mom went through stages where she'd wear only one perfume. When I was really little, it was Red Door. When I was 6-9, it was White Diamonds. At some point when I was still young, it was Versace's Blue Jeans. Recently it's been the light pink (lily) version of Angel and The Body Shop's Japanese Cherry Blossom mixed together. However, the scent I always associated with her was the one from the restaurant she used to work at. It was very specific, the smell. She always smelled like their food, lol. Now she smells like strong perfume.

I just got a free sample of Hypnose, and it reminds me a great deal of Black Lace. The alcohol in hypnose reminds of the cognac in Black Lace, they both have a similar vanilla and a musky woody vibe underneath. Black Lace has tobacco and hypnose is slightly fruity, but other than that they're very similar and have the same 'vibe'.

does anyone know of a bpal that smells like Vera Wang's Princess?

Princess

Created for the playful, unpredictable, independent woman who treats every day like an event and adventure. This is a woman who likes to make her own magic, this sheer, flirty blend of water lily, lady apple, mandarin meringue, and golden apricot skin are melded with sheer floral notes, accented with dark chocolate, and finished with a pink frosting accord, amber, warm woods, musk, and vanilla - a whimsical treat.

Notes:

Water Lily, Lady Apple, Mandarin Meringue, Golden Apricot Skin, Ripe Pink Guava, Tahitian Flower, Wild Tuberose, Dark Chocolate, Pink Frosting Accord, Precious Amber, Forbidden Woods, Royal Musk Captive, Chiffon Vanilla.

Style:

Sheer. Tropical. Delectable.

My sister likes Princess and she was so kind as to take care of me and our mother while we were sick on her birthday weekend vacation. I want to get her a bunch of stuff and the vera wang is so $$$$$, that I could only get her just that. With Bpal, I could get her an Alice T and some earrings from another site, too:) it seems like I would have to layer some things here....maybe Love's Philosophy with something? I know Lady of Shalott and Ophelia have water lily....gah! I think this will be a tough one.

Edited by willowtreeling

Hi, I'm new here and a bit overwhelmed by all the information and lingo.

Ideally I am looking for a replacement for my favorite fragrance oil of all time, Androgeny's Child by Eden Botanicals, which they CHANGED THE FORMULA on. I have about 1/4 a bottle of the old, about 3/4 a bottle of the new. The old is warm, sexy, animalistic...the new smells like coconut on me and is cloying. The company seems happy with their change; I even phoned with them about it. Something about the ingredients' availability.

Amber, Frankincense, Cedar, and Agarwood are the main scents, I think there was some sandalwood in there. Warm, rich, surrounding, very natural on my skin.

My second favorite scent is Etro's Messe de Minuit. Dark, spicy, dangerous, wild, musky, some dirt and moss in there. I was wearing this on the full-moon weekend, camping, that my love and I came together.

Any scents you experts here could recommend? I also like Goth Rosary's Heathen, Wicked, and Crypt, Donna Karan's Black Cashmere, Obsession for Men, Body Shop White Musk, Frankincense, Sandalwood, Oak Moss, or Patchouli neat...

I've tried searching for these ingredients alone on the site but end up getting weird mixes with mixed reviews, and of course, the Androgeny's Child combination isn't there.

help?

thanks, newbie Tigerkatze

Hope it's okay to crosspost, but I'm desperate to find something similar to the scent I posted in the BBW thread:

Does anyone own or remember Star Scents Fragrance mist in Aries? I've only got a tiny amount left in the bottle and have no idea what its notes or whatever would be, since it was discontinued in like 2001-2002 :D

This is what the bottle looks like:

starscentstaurus.JPG

The aries scent is a pink bottle with a red cap, though.

I'm really bad at guessing notes unless its really obvious, like vanilla or orange or whatever. I'd say its a light, springy floral- NO ROSE- maybe with some white musk? I might take it to Nantucket Natural Oils and see if anyone can find a more famous scent to compare it to that I will then find a BPAL scent to compare to, if that makes sense :P

Edited by whisperingmachines

Has anyone else noticed that Antique Lace is similar to Vanilla Fields?

Years ago, I wore Karl Lagerfeld's Sun Moon Stars and Coty's Exclamation pretty much exclusively. I was wondering if anyone knows of any BPAL equivalents?

ETA: The notes

Sun Moon Stars

fruit, oriental florals, orange blossom, amber, musk

Exclamation

amazon lily, orangeflower, jasmine, bergamot, musk, patchouli, amber

Edited by whiterosepetals

Has anyone else noticed that Antique Lace is similar to Vanilla Fields?

Years ago, I wore Karl Lagerfeld's Sun Moon Stars and Coty's Exclamation pretty much exclusively. I was wondering if anyone knows of any BPAL equivalents?

ETA: The notes

Sun Moon Stars

fruit, oriental florals, orange blossom, amber, musk

Exclamation

amazon lily, orangeflower, jasmine, bergamot, musk, patchouli, amber

Strangely, I've been poring the net for Sun, Moon and Stars information today.

All I can say is that I'm going to layer Hanami with Schrodingers Cat when they arrive. I have Schrodingers Cat, and it's the right level of fruity. Hanami will hopefully add the florals. Thinking of a little bit of Fautus underneath it all, but I only ever got fruity floral joy from Sun, Moon and Stars.

Is a shame it's not in shops anymore, but you can still get it on the interweb!

*dances*

Strangely, I've been poring the net for Sun, Moon and Stars information today.

All I can say is that I'm going to layer Hanami with Schrodingers Cat when they arrive. I have Schrodingers Cat, and it's the right level of fruity. Hanami will hopefully add the florals. Thinking of a little bit of Fautus underneath it all, but I only ever got fruity floral joy from Sun, Moon and Stars.

Hanami and Schrodinger's Cat? I definitely have to try that. Thanks!

To me, Szepasszony, when dried, smells like Calvin Kline's Eternity

and Sportive sun, like Alfred Sung's Pure...not exact, but very close

Thought I'd mention that F5 (a forum only scent from 2006) is an awesome replacement for that green Lancome Aroma Tonic. Or for the Method Green Tea + Aloe hand soap. Not that I imagine F5 is so easy to get, but someone in the review thread mentioned it was built on an Embalming Fluid base... so you could play around.

Best,

Tzi

Edited by tziporra

So here it goes. I know this a long shot because I don't think anyone else wears this perfume but the only commercial perfume I still hold on to is Moschino's I love love. I did a search and the description is as follows: "Spontaneous blend of bright citrus, followed by sexy yet feminine florals, smoothing off to cinnamon leaves, woods and musk."

So I did a note search on the website and the list is unbelievably long. I don't even know where to start. Does anyone know anything that smells like it (if you've never smelled it I've been told it's very similar to Dolce and Gabana's light blue)

Thanks for your help

Hi there!

I have a friend, newbie to bpal, who loves Tresor by Lancome (but won't buy it for whatever reason).

I did a search in the thread for it but nothing came up.

Anyone has any recommendations on bpal scents that might run in a similar vein?

Thank you!

Hi there!

I have a friend, newbie to bpal, who loves Tresor by Lancome (but won't buy it for whatever reason).

I did a search in the thread for it but nothing came up.

Anyone has any recommendations on bpal scents that might run in a similar vein?

Thank you!

Funny, I just got a Lancome Free gift and it has a sample of Tresor. I checked it out and, while Tresor isn't really like anything the Lab makes, you might want top check out Antique Lace.

ifinena, I found this post in the archive in an old, old thread - someone was looking for Christmas gifts for her sister and had listed Tresor as one of her sister's favorite fragrances for reference. And since this was posted there have been so many new BPAL scents - so maybe we can come up with some new suggestions too. Harikata (from the LE Shunga series) came to mind for me - it's a fruity honeyed floral.

Tresor is a floral, semi-oriental fragrance.

Top notes: rose, apricot blossom, lilac, peach

Heart notes: iris, heliotrope, lily of the valley, jasmine

Base notes: amber, sandalwood, musk, vanilla

Based on the notes in Tresor, I would recommend Tamora (amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean). O (honey, amber and vanilla) might be another good one, just don't tell her where the name comes from :P

Funny, I just got a Lancome Free gift and it has a sample of Tresor. I checked it out and, while Tresor isn't really like anything the Lab makes, you might want top check out Antique Lace.

Oh thank you merivelle for your suggestion! I *think* she has tried Antique Lace but I will suggest that again.

ifinena, I found this post in the archive in an old, old thread - someone was looking for Christmas gifts for her sister and had listed Tresor as one of her sister's favorite fragrances for reference. And since this was posted there have been so many new BPAL scents - so maybe we can come up with some new suggestions too. Harikata (from the LE Shunga series) came to mind for me - it's a fruity honeyed floral.

Tresor is a floral, semi-oriental fragrance.

Top notes: rose, apricot blossom, lilac, peach

Heart notes: iris, heliotrope, lily of the valley, jasmine

Base notes: amber, sandalwood, musk, vanilla

Based on the notes in Tresor, I would recommend Tamora (amber, heliotrope, golden sandalwood, peach blossom and vanilla bean). O (honey, amber and vanilla) might be another good one, just don't tell her where the name comes from :P

Thank you for doing a more thorough check for me, ivyandpeony! I will suggest both those blends. I never would have associated Tresor with sandalwood, not "my" type of sandalwood in any event. Umm about "O" is it what I *think* it is? :D :D

Yes, maybe something else, will come up, too.

Edited by ifinena

Uruk, maybe? Although that's got a strong almond that doesn't sound like it's in your Moschino.

Thank you! I'll have to try that since I'm pretty sure that it's the cinnamon leaf in it that I love so much. Besides I like almond and it tends to work on my skin. Some how that didn't even come up in my original search. strange

The Witch Queen is exactly like Tendre Poison, which was a favorite of mine, but has been discontinued for quite a few years now.

Hi everyone. I'm looking for a little help. One of my favorite fragrances is Promesse by Cacharel. Here is what the notes say:

Cacharel Promesse begins with a wealth of effervescent top notes of mandarin and bergamot, that mellow to reveal an equally bright but more sensuous heart of jasmine sambac, orchid and blackberry, which seamlessly merges into a deep base of amber, musk, sandalwood and cedar.

Any ideas for a BPAL scent that might be similar? Thanks so much! :P

Is there a BPAL that smells similar to Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo Di Sicilia?

Description:

Bergamot, Star Anise, Jasmine, Green Almond, White Peach, White Cedarwood, Musk, Vanilla, Coffee

On me it smells like vanilla and almond but not much else. It is a pretty sweet scent but isn't cloying.

Any suggestions?

I have Dana O'Shee, but it smells somewhat maraschino cherry on me, whereas I am looking for vanilla almond.

TIA!