Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Notes provided by Geeks Doing Good: Well worn leather and a swirl of spices.

Old. First thoughts when sniffing are old. Old and musty masculine and wood. It's like there is a booze or medicinal note trying to come thru when you take a deep whiff. The more it starts to dry down the more of an old musty bourbon type note I get. And dust. Almost like discovering a hankerchief tucked away back in a chest or trunk. An old musty masculine cologne.

This isn't a strong as I expected. It really does smell like dust and a rum note. It's old, story-teller Kvothe sitting for a moment at an empty table more than young, daring Kvothe. Pretty but not incredibly striking.

Sniff: Spicy gingersnaps, undercurrent of leather

Wet: This moves into cologne territory, the spices mellow and overall the scent lightens. It gets a bit more woodsy.

Dry: Softens into a gentle, dusty tone. Hints of herbs, dry woods, much warmer than the wet phase. I really like this dry phase, it's definitely 'innkeeper' Kvothe, settled into a nice comforting dusk.

Reminds me of a young Mr Prenderghast, with the pickle-tinged musk and cigarette smoke, only add to it a mess of rich spices and a bump of something bright and bold. Sharp and masculine. Strong.

Kvothe smells so weird. Not a good weird either.

I get ginger bread and, not joking here, Sriracha.

So bad I had to go scrub it off. :cry2:

Allspice, herbs, dry woods, and bay rum. I don't really get leather from this. I do get a very clean version of a manly pirate cologne with a touch of bay rum. For those that are fans of Gingerbread Jolly Roger, this would be along those lines - less spicy, more amped up airy woods. Again, I'm curious to see if either of these work for mr. zee_zee.

Yep, I agree with zankoku_zen. Herb, some kind of spice, and a sort of salty/rummy scent. I would love this as a candle, actually, but it's a little too masculine for me.

Wet: Spices - but not the familiar cinnamon/nutmeg/clove type spices. These are exotic and hard to pin down. They're warm and comforting, and a little green. There's also a suedey sort of leather coming through. This is light and earthy. There's also something sweet behind it. I like it so far.

Dry: This is a great leather scent. Soft, worn leather, spices, and something I can't quite place. It would smell amazing on a man, but I don't feel it's too masculine for me to wear. Not sure if it's really "me" but I do like it a lot. So glad I got to try it!

It smells SO MUCH like The Traveller upon initial application - leather, and something spicy - but where the Traveler keeps the leather and gets kind of a... dusty road smell(?) almost, Kvothe starts to smell like a fresh/clean sort of cologne. The leather is still there, but it lightens.

In other words, it's goddamn amazing and I wish I could have afforded like 20 bottles.

Edited by stubbornfire

I tested this on myself and my partner.

Me:

Bottle/wet: Sweet wood

Dry: Oak? Smoke. Underlining musk.

Short throw. I need to smell my wrist directly but I don't mind that because I was worried it would be too strong. Glad I read reviews because it is much more enjoyable than originally thought.

Drydown: Light and sweet musk. I'm getting a whiff of some kind of alcohol note. Fades very quickly

Him: 
Wet: musk / floral 

Dry: more of above. It's very prominent on him. 

Overall: unfortunately just a light musk on him, no oak or smoke and very low throw 

Overall: The original description of "strong" was definitely incorrect. It's Kvothe sitting in his spotless inn. Much more enjoyable than thought. We didn't get any notable spices which is strange as I can amp some. May have to try again at a later point. 

Edit: I made this review before a full scent description was provided. Oddly I don't recall leather or spices.

Edited by follis

I love this and love that it paints a picture of the man and the whole room.

In the bottle: The wood bar, a bit of dust on shelves, musk, the faint barrel and nutty scent of bread &  beer,  

There's a sweetness in here as well... vanilla 

It's light yet the light through mullioned windows gives this a clear picture in scent. 
It SMELLS like golden hour..... amazing. Like Kvothe is sitting, as Follis says, quietly in the empty Inn. 

So gorgeous.

I was always reluctant to take a chance on Kvothe, despite my general love of leather. I’m grateful to have a tester from a swap! 
This a cozy scent of soft brown leather and dust. I could see a touch of vanilla, as well. I don’t really get any spices, though it could be aging. 
It’s making me feel quite mellow, and I’m about to snuggle up with a blanket. 

It smells almost like a dusty shelf and a soft leather gloves. It smells a little woody and sweet. 

Not particularly masculine or feminine. Unisex, mellow, reverent. Reminds me of church pews or a mature gentleman with a lot of stories to tell.