Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Australian Sandalwood

Ethically harvested.

In The Bottle: A sweet balsa type wood scent, with just the slightest edge of forest pine.

Wet On Skin: Wow. This is NOT the type of sandalwood I'm used to. The ones I've experienced all have a bit of a sharp edge. This immediately "melted" into my skin and became this soft, sensual wood that it round and sweet and...glorious.

Dry Down: This. Is. Hoard-worthy. I got one bottle, because I knew one would be good to have around, but it's sultry and sexy and now that the hot summer has landed, this is certainly something for all the decadent nights that await over the next 4 months.

In All: A skin scent but with medium throw, this spicy, sweet sandalwood is beautiful, sultry, intoxicating. Perfect for any seduction.

LOVE.

My nose's opinion on this is opposite of VioletChaos. I'm used to a "rounder", sweeter sandalwood. This type, on me, has a bit of a sharp, almost bitter current running through it. It also strikes me as a slightly "cooler" note than the Indian I typically go for. I was daydreaming about what I could pair it with as I awaited its arrival, but upon sniffing and slathering, I've decided the boldness deserves center stage: it will be worn alone. It also hangs on quite a long time: I applied the way I usually do at around 2:00pm and I can still pick up the scent now at 10:30pm.

Another awesome thing: when I chew on eco-friendly, unpainted pencils or tinfoil, I get that deep ache in my molars. Know what I mean? The moment I opened the bottle and sniffed, I got that same ache in my back teeth. LOL. Powerful stuff. Very glad I decided to order 2 bottles right away. I shudder to remember that I almost decided not to order at all, thinking to save my $$ for something else. If you like sandalwood, don't hesitate to buy this. I'm imagining it's going to age splendidly if it's this remarkable on Day 1.

Wet: I have to agree that I am used to a much sweeter, smoother sandalwood. This smells very masculine to me - like cologne. Like the world's most expensive, gorgeous cologne. I am not sure yet how wearable it will be on me, but boy is it lovely. So rich. Beautiful.

Dry: This has all but disappeared on me in a matter of about 40 minutes. Sad, because it was gone before it had even really settled on my skin. It was quite nice, but may have been too masculine for my tastes anyway. It's fresh out of the mail, so I will test again another day before I make any final decisions.

It's warm sandalwood on me. Not much more. Not much less. I am grateful to have the bottle...but I won't need more of this one.

In the bottle: sweet and slightly sharp. Something lightly camphorous and pine-y.

On wet: This is a very bold sandalwood. It has a slightly bitter undercurrent but is still sweet. Still retaining that sharp pine edge.

Dry: Velvety and warm (though not as warm as other sandalwoods I've tried). Not super sweet or dainty, and it's quite complex on its own. Spicy and very complimentary to skin.

Citrusy pine sandalwood. Which to be honest, smells a little like the White Sandalwood SN from 2004. It's that type of sandalwood. Not my favorite, but I do love it in the drydown. Smoother, warmer, slightly spicy.

EFF it, I need more sandalwood in my life.

I'm having a similar response as LizziesLuck, Australian Sandalwood is a cologne-y sandalwood on me, deep and rich and almost a little musky. I've worn it a few times and enjoy it each time, but like this best on my husband—on whom it smells AMAZING.

My first BPAL single note!

The only sandalwood single note I have to compare to this is Madini's Santal Blanc which is a white sandalwood. Australian Sandalwood does not smell like white sandalwood to me because it lacks the cool, smooth "whiteness" of white sandalwood, if that makes sense. To my nose, it's richer, but not rich. Deeper, but not deep.

If white sandalwood is fresh and cool and red sandalwood is deep and rich, Australian Sandalwood SN seems to occupy a classic, almost neutral middle-ground.

This stays close to my skin, but did not rapidly disappear on my skin like I was afraid it would.

This, with Stale Sugar-Crusted Marshmallow Chick, is my first single note, and what a one it is!

I’ve grown so accustomed to trying to distinguish notes in blends that it feels almost odd to be wearing and smelling a single note.

This is a light, sweet sandalwood. Kit from the OLLA collection is an almost-pure sandalwood note on me; Australian Sandalwood is sweeter and lighter than that, without being at all syrupy. It’s close to the skin and has a fuzzy, snuggly feel. For a while now, I’ve been on a search for a summer sandalwood, and Australian Sandalwood turned out to be perfect for very warm weather.

Wet this is remiscent of the Indian sandalwood soap I used to bathe with as a child. As it dries down I get why some people find this to be less 'creamy' than Mysore sandalwood, it has a fresh green heartwood quality that sticks around to the end but I love woods so I don't interpret this as "pencil shavings". It's more like the green almost floral quality of cedar softened and rounded out by creamy sandalwood. This perfume stays true on me to the end as well. I love this so much, so glad I got an FB off the lovely GoldenRubee who's selling her collection to feed over 20 foster kitties (and some pups) made homeless because their owners can't afford to feed them due to covid! Do yourself a favour and get something from her sales, the world needs more people like her!!