Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Stale Sugar-Crusted Marshmallow Chick

Just don’t microwave the perfume, ok?

Prototype tested at DSWC 3/25/16

I couldn't smell it in the bottle, literally nothing. A swathed on a healthy amount, still nothing, I tend to have a blind spot for marshmallow and cotton candy scents. It wasn't until an hour later that I started detect the barest hint of something sweet. And then the magic started to happen, over the next few hours this warm, sweet, RICH, marshmallow scent ramped up, and the crystalline sugar crust even appeared. I fell asleep huffing this perfect Easter sweetie. It's 12 hours later and this Chick is still wafting, but the scent has morphed. It smells just like the taste of that crispy candy on a Cadbury mini-egg!!! Dying.

We need to start a campaign to get this into a bath oil. I want to smell like this FOREVER.

I tested this on the back of my hand at will call. I had the opposite experience from Andra, in that it faded quickly on me, but, the backs of my hands are pretty dry right now so that may be down to where I applied it.

It's marshmallow, though. Super sweet sticky marshmallow. It's like a sugar-amped version of Stekkjarstaur... instead of the slightly musky not-over-sweet quality of Stekk's marshmallow, this is full-on in-your-face sugar rush.

It's delightful, but I bought two bottles of Stekk so I kind of feel like I don't also need this. But if you missed Stekk...

This is simply a sweet light marshmallow single note. When I sniffed the bottle there was nothing. Wet on the skin it was a perfect sweet marshmallow. Nothing more or less. Then poof it disappears and fast!! Oh no! That's what I was afraid of. It has no throw really and is very soft on the skin while it's there. While it is yummy and Peep like I prefer Stekkjarstaur more. He actually has throw and better staying power on me.

Marshmallow Chick is like Stekk's sweet quiet little sister. Oh and I love the colors on the label so Easter appropriate! ;)

Edited by vanilla323

Just like what was said above... can't really smell anything in the bottle, but once on, it is just a simple, light marshmallow. Very little throw at the moment, and I am guessing this won't last long on me either.

I have a decant of The Gorobble, and if you have tried that one and it was too strong for you, then get this single note. Simple....pretty.... light. Not detecting anything "stale" in it. Just marshmallow.

In The Bottle: "Boo!" 2009 vintage- is that you calling? Yes, that's what I thought of as soon as I opened the bottle- that's what gently smacked me in the face with its awesome marshmallowy goodness. Talk about an exciting opening!

Wet On Skin: Wow. This. Is. So. Good. And yes, that Boo 2009 vibe is holding tight.

Dry Down: This, I think, is the marshmallow single note of my dreams. Even Boo had it's fatal flaw, the linen note eventually replaced the marshmallow over the course of hours. But this? This holds true. It's strictly marshmallow- I don't get a Peep vibe per se, because that would mean an added layer of crunchy sugar. I amp sugar like crazy and that's not happening with this.

In All: Straight up, no-holds-barred, marshmallow wonder.

I agree with VioletChaos in that this immediately reminded me of Boo, but minus the notes that make Boo a bit off smelling to me sometimes. It also reminds me of Haus of Gloi's Ghost Puffs fragrance, which is a true, buttery, slightly salty, fluffy marshmallow delight.
I was worried about the staying power after reading some of the other reviews, but this has been going for 4+ hours on me so far and still smells the same and I keep getting lovely wafts of it. It's not overwhelming or super strong, but it's lasting and doing excellent things on my skin, lol.

This is by far my favorite marshmallow scent from bpal. No spice, fruit, or perfumey sugar notes - just realistic, amazing marshmallows.

I would also love this in bath oil and hair gloss form. :wub:

In the bottle: Like the two above me, I'm getting a hit of 2009 Boo. It's the buttery/salty thing that never happened again- until now. Like when you make rice krispy treats and you're at the melted stage of everything.

On application: Same as above. The scent gets warmer, toastier. Total marshmallow dream.

Dry down: While I wish this had more throw, it's still got some power. It's a great marshmallow that doesn't disappear or become super sickly sweet or too vanilla or too foody. I never get any of the sugar crusted part of it.

Verdict: Hoard worthy! I have had issues with some of the vanilla or marshmallow scents turning plasticky on my skin (I'm looking at you, Stekkjarstaur :rasp: ) and this does not. It's like a marshmallow cloud, or like sticking your nose in a jar of marshmallow fluff. I also agree that having this in bath oil or hair gloss would be amazing.

This is like Stekkjarstaur's little sister! It's a more sweet, youthful, cheerful, less "clean" marshmallow. Super fun, sugary marshmallow goodness!!

Pure marshmallow! :yum: Stale Sugar-Crusted Marshmallow Chick is true to it's name, capturing the simple happiness of this Easter confection. It's really light and fluffy and sweet and sort of perfect in its simplicity. I also think this would be an awesome mixer, added to anything that could use a shot of marshmallow.

This is lightly toasted, buttery, fluffy, sweet-but-not-too-sweet marshmallows. Exactly what it says on the tin. This isn't close to Boo IMO, Boo is much drier thanks to the linen note.

Now I'm craving marshmallows...and a full bottle of this.

I wondered when I got this if it would be too close to Stekk...I decided I didn't care, cuz marshmallow, and I got it anyway.

Wet: Different than Stekk, for sure, but don't ask me how! Yum. Hard to put my finger on what this smells like (other than marshmallow, of course!) but there is something there....

Dry: This has pretty good strength and throw, and is a lovely, slightly buttery, vanilla marshmallow scent. I really like it, and think it's different enough from other marshmallow scents I have to have a home in my collection I do think I will death-match it against Stekkjarstuar just for kicks though, I'm curious to do a side-by side comparison.

Well, everyone's glowing reviews of this one prompted me to get a decant, and for good reason. I was worried, despite my love of the BPAL marshmallow note, that this would be too sweet, but the staleness is what prevents it from being too cloying. But, yes it does stay close to the skin with little to no throw and the warmth that is there at first does fade and it becomes less complex on me.

Edited by freyasfae

In the bottle: I am always a slut for the Lab's marshmallow note, so I had to get a bottle of this. I agree that it smells like a sweeter Stekkjarstaur in the bottle. In other words, it smells glorious.

Wet: Yes, this is a sweeter Stekkjarstaur. It's a creamy marshmallow, and the sugar-crusted part is very realistic.

Dry: OH MY GLOB. It's a marshmallow chick adorned with pink sugar crystals!

Verdict: I have four bottles of Stekkjarstaur, and one bottle of this, and I still don't know if one bottle of this one will be enough. It's a fluffy pink marshmallow scent, and I think I may need more of it in my life!

Strangely does not remind me of Boo, but is just glorious and last s for ten hours or more. So very winning

Sugary marshmallow crust and a touch of plastic. Sadly, BPAL's marshmallow note occasionally suffers from the same problem as BPAL's creme note, going to plastic on my skin.

:(

A BPAL marshmallow blend or even a single note will always be a guaranteed insta-buy for me. Marshmallow perfume is a sublime pleasure to wear because it's creamy, soft, sweet, comforting, cosy... I could go on. It is my number one favourite perfume note of all time. Yes, I am a HUGE fan of marshmallow!!

We've had two glorious marshmallow blends from Beth as of late - Stekkjarstaur and Marshmallow Chick. Where Stekkjarstaur is wooly and cuddly, Marshmallow Chick is more sugary and sort of... pink. If Stekkjarstaur is a bag of floofy white marshmallows then Marshmallow Chick is a bag of pink marshmallows! I know that suggesting a colour when writing a perfume review isn't all that helpful, but that's how those two blends make me feel.

What is most important is that Marshmallow Chick is a seriously good blend, if you are like me and are slutty for marshmallow notes. Do not miss out on this blend because it really is beautiful, it lasts for *ages* and the throw is brilliant.

I love, love, love!!

Blind bottle purchase from the forum. Looking for a marshmallow oil.

IN THE BOTTLE:

Delicate vanilla marshmallow goodness.

WET:

Whipped, white vanilla frosting made with marshmallow cream. Yum! I could eat this!

DRY:

Oh no! What's happening! I'm finding an artificial undertone that perhaps goes with the Easter candy reference but i'm not certain I like it.

NOTES:

I think this is a beautiful and fun fragrance, but just not what i'm into. Finding the right foodie scent is a challenge for me. I wish the wet smell could carry through over time but after wearing this for an hour, I wasn't enjoying what it became. The sweetness turns into something flat and dusty (stale) smelling that while unusual, isn't a scent i'm going to wear much. It is beautiful at first, but after eating a whole package of Peeps, my tummy hurts.

RATING:

:umm: 7

Edited by Jenjin

I had tried Stekk in the hopes that it would give me a marshmallowy goodness I was looking for, but sadly to no avail.

However this. is. perfect.

It's super light, yet super sugary and the perfect fluffy marshmallow on my skin, it doesn't have a huge throw, but I feel that its better that way due to it being so sweet and sugary, it could be a little overwhelming if it were to be too loud.

Must have more of this in my life!

In the bottle: Yuppers, that's the stale Peeps! Mother gave me some every year for Easter. :) Well, they weren't stale at the time!

Wet: About the same.

Drying down: Sweeter and with more marshmallow, but a hint of the staleness lingers.

A bit later: This is more like Boo '09 w/o the linen note--I just had to give it time.

Btw, when I received this in the mail a couple of weeks, it had barely any scent. I think it might make a nice layering note. :)

Oh dear, now it's a bit plastic.

Half-an-hour later it's more like the cold sniff! A morpher, for sure.

Edited by thekittenkat

Bottle: Sweet butter?

On skin: Has a buttery popcorn scent, salty and buttery mixed with sugar. Definitely crusty like a peep.

Dry: Pure marshmallow! Love this scent...like a lavender colored peep!

Definitely should have ordered more.

A sugary-sweet, happy scent. I do in fact have some marshmallow peeps leftover from Easter in the pantry, and smelling this all day is making me crave them.

This evokes the simple, childlike pleasure of an Easter basket full of candy. It’s light; I had to reapply twice in the course of the day. The initial burst of pure sugar dries down to vanilla marshmallow. It really is that one note; I compared it with Stekkjarstaur, which has a wool note in addition to the marshmallow. After seeing the comparisons to Boo 2009 I sniffed them side by side. To me, they aren’t alike: Boo has a lemony note that Marshmallow Chick lacks, and Marshmallow Chick is much more sugary.

Sweet, fluffy, vanilla marshmallow! It becomes softer and little smoother as it dries, but it just delicious all the way through. And has shocking staying power- my skin usually devours scent, but 5+ hours later and this still has me smelling like I rolled around in marshmallow fluff! This one has become a fav of mine, both on it's own and as a brilliant layering scent for anything I'm wearing that I would like to make a little smoother or a little sweeter. I missed out on Stekk, but this little beauty is everything I need.

I am one of the team who adores Peeps. The world seems divided into Peeps Lovers and Peeps Haters, so when this oil came out, as a lover, I had to have it.

Stale marshmallows! There is that hint of plastic that comes when marshmallows turn stale, and I'm just chuffed with it.

I was hoping for a fresher marshmallow scent, but I can't fault it- it tells me right up front that its stale. I can even smell the yellow sugar crystals.

Ha! Long live Marshmallow chicks, in oil form, and in the real world.

Dries down to slightly buttery marshmallow with a tad of sugar. Sadly also comes with a plasticy note which while almost makes the scent believable, might make it unwearable. Also may have an undertone of baby powder? I will retest but might be for swaps.

Edited by Deceitfuldescender

While I am NOT much of a real-life Peep fan, I actually adore this scent. I agree with someone above who said it's like Stekk's fun little sister. Where Stekk is more of a romantic, robust marshmallow (lol), this one is youthful, bouncy and sugary to the excess! While I do think that it is a bit plastic-y, for some reason it's not bothering me in the blend. There is still a nice undertone of buttery vanilla that makes it super yummy. Glad to have a bottle :)