Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
samarablackcat

Golden Champa Attar

I was so very excited at the return of single notes and purchased a bottle immediately of this beauty. Then I began to wonder...will this be more floral (champa flower can sometimes be too cloying) or will it have more of an incense vibe?

I did not need to worry! It contains the floral aspect, but golden with an incense undertone. It reminds me of Red Nag Champa, Shantimalia, when you first open the box; sweet and incensey, not cloying. Gorgeous.

eta: spelling woes

Edited by samarablackcat

In The Bottle: Yep, that's champa incense, alright!

Wet On Skin: Staying true at this point. Most single notes morph only slightly, if at all. I'm hoping this one stays as is, because it's totally on the mark right now.

Dry Down: A close companion of nag champa incense. I suspect this will age beautifully and blend well with any incense-scent you might want to amp up a little bit.

In All: Medium to High throw- go easy, a little goes a looooong way. Rich, heady champa incense. If you are a fan of incense or champa in particular, get a bottle- you won't be disappointed.

Mmm, this is like Nag Champa incense in syrupy liquid form. It is a super thick, rich colored oil that is probably going to do amazing things as it ages. I have tried a lot of 'Nag Champa' scented things, and have been disappointed so many times, but this one nails it. It even has that slightly dusty head-shop smell that the real Nag Champa incense always seems to have. It also has some excellent staying power- my skin totally eats scents, but this even lasted through a hot bath! Awesomeness....

I have never gotten a BPAL single note before, not for lack of options, I just love the already layered ready made scents and I haven't come across one that I simply had to have. Until Golden Champa Attar. I saw that and immediately got myself an order together, and boy, it does not disappoint. It's a lot sharper in the bottle than on my wrist, but it's that sweet floral scent that really starts to shine through, and just hovering in the background is the incense, making sure you don't forget about it. It has a decent throw on me and it stays a really good strength for a good few hours, maybe more, I took a shower so I used that as an excuse to test Womb Furie.

I love incense, and this is beyond what I could have hoped for in a Single Note. It's also quite powerful so I can see this being in my rotation for a very long time and I am excited to see what aging does to it.

Golden Champa Attar is my sneaky little holy grail scent I didn't know I was looking for.

In the bottle: Years ago, someone gave me a nag champa soap bar. I loved it. I thought I could get more but I think it was a one off thing. This is what Golden Champa Attar smells like in the bottle and freshly applied to my skin.

Dry down: The smokier incense parts start to emerge! But the floral resin is still king here.

Hours later: Up close, when I really huff at my skin, it smells like the cleanest parts of incense burning without the musty funk.

Verdict: Yes and more yes! I will be buying another bottle before it goes away. This oil is the base, bass and beat of some of my favorite BPALs- it evokes Panther Moon, Snake Charmer and Midnight on the Midway, in a brighter floral way.

In the decant: Incense-y, floral awesomeness! This is the same champaca note listed in Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit. I slathered that one on yesterday, and this reminded me of it. I don't have any more House of Unquenchable Fire atmo, but it may be the same champaca note listed there, too.

Wet: I'm finding this is more incense than floral, so don't let the floral aspect of this scare you away! It's definitely the same note used in Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit. And it's strong!

Dry: Same. It doesn't really morph.

I can't believe how strong this one is. I wish I could adequately describe it, but alas, I cannot. I can say that this is the note that really contributed to the sophisticated woman in an incense-y coffeeshop vibe that I got from Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit, though.

Verdict: This is amazing. I don't think I will end up springing for a bottle, since I don't really reach for my single notes too often (and I still have plenty Destructive Vagina of the Fox Spirit), but I will definitely cherish my decant.

This smells jussst like Arise, Lift Up Thine Eyes and See! It's definitely golden and a little breezy. Alas, some incense notes give me a headache, and this is one of them. :(

Glorious golden champa! The oil is a thick orange-brown and wet to dry, the scent remains very consistent: slightly sweet golden champa flowers and incense that smells like nag champa made by angels. It lasts quite a long time on my skin and is super relaxing...I adore this and it's going to age beautifully.

As everyone else has said, this is (really good, not cheap-o) Nag Chama in a bottle. It's a golden, thick, incense scent on the skin. There's a little fruity/sweet at the beginning, and then pure incense for ages and ages. Throw is moderate. It smells like the clothing racks at a shop I used to frequent in college that carried hippie skirts and loads of scarves from Indian.

I will wear this loads on the weekend when I can smell how I want, but never to work. If I wore it to work I'd get the reputation of a total hippie!

Wet: I was worried this would be way to heavy and too much pure incense for me, but it isn't so far, it's actually really light, I can barely smell it It's not at all what I was worried it would be, I am getting more of a floral vibe than I had even hoped! There's something almost fruity about it, and I love that. It's really nice so far. I do wish it was stronger and had more throw.

Dry: The incense amps a bit more as it dries. It's nice, still a bit floral, a bit fruity. I got this partly because I am never really able to pick nag champa/champaca out of a blend (my skin seems to eat it?) and I don't burn incense or anything, so I wanted to get a better idea of what it smells like. Which I now have, for sure. I am just not at all sure I will wear this, as nice as it is. I certainly couldn't wear it to work, but it doesn't seem like something I would want to wear on the weekend either. Sadly, it may be destined for a swap. So glad to have tried it though!

I liked this more in the imp than on me - overall, I just don't like smelling like a headshop. Though this would be a very fancy headshop, mind you. I think I will use this in my oil diffuser because I don't mind my home smelling like a fancy headshop.

Thick, heady, rich Nag Champa that is borderline smoky sweet. I agree with someone above that it smells like a shop I used to get scarves and skirts at, that alone makes me feel very nostalgic.

At times it's barely detectable on me though and I wish it had more throw, but dammit if this isn't just stunning. I am glad I decided on a bottle.

Golden breeze. I am somehow amping up the breeze aspect of this. On wet it smelled smokier and more incensey, but it dries to a very airy note on me. Low throw and wear length.

This smells expensive and golden. It really reminds me of the evil Queen in Snow White and Huntsman. Decadent, incensy, golden and powerful. So glad I have a bottle.

I'm not a fan of nag champa incense. It always smells cheap and headshoppy to me. I'm not a huge fan of this single note, either, but I wasn't really expecting to love this one. It has that powdery, dusty, sweet, almost grape-candy tone to it that I get from nag champa incense sticks. The drydown is a bit less sweet, more golden powdery and clean floral, but mostly it smells like a new age shop selling dusty incense sticks.

This smells like a sunset colouring a a dusty victorian room golden, or perhaps a very 70's themed one.

It's dry, dusty and insency and super-fancy! Doesn't morph on my skin.

I'd totally need a bottle but it dies after only five to ten minutes of wear. Not worth it for me, but it's absolutely lovely!

In the imp: light nag champa-esque incense

Wet: pretty much the same

Dry: soft floral incense powder, but it threatens to go a little sharp.

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out what this one reminds me of, and finally I got it. This is the incense used in Midnight on the Midway, which is one of my very favourite lab blends. It's hard for me to describe incense blends, but this one is very nice, golden and thick. I'm very glad to have a partial.

I need to catch up on doing my reviews!

I don't have a lot to add that hasn't already been said. I adore good Nag champa incense and that old 70s headshop smell. Golden Champa Attar brings back memories, but adds an even better feeling because it's BPAL. I recognize the note in so many of my favorites, and am excited to be able to wear it on its own. This s a strong, syrupy oil, it has a lot of throw, and lasts forever on my skin. I'm so glad I planned ahead and ordered two bottles right away. I'd have hated to miss this one!

Edited by Poenari