Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
t_for_tau

Best masculine scents *from the last five years*?

Or maybe six! I haven't bought any new bpal for that long, just used the scents I had, and I'm starting to get back into it again. I'm starting to construct a new wishlist, and realised I haven't updated my existing one since '07... O.o Please, help me get back into the swing of things!

To give you an idea, some of my favourites are Schwartzer Mond, Golden Priapus, Gacela of the Dark Death, Pinched With Four Aces, Dee, John Barleycorn, Luperci (original), Shub, Orpheus and notes I like include smoke, leather, incense/resins, woods, green/sap/grass, some foodie notes like coffee & vanilla & dark choc/cacao, earth and booze.

Edited by tau

El Dia de los Reyes (Yule 2014 and 2015): Hot cocoa with cinnamon, coffee, and brown sugar.

Arabian Dance (Yule 2010): Leather, coffee, hazelnut, tobacco, and Middle Eastern spices.

Irish Coffee Cake from the 2015 Will Call, which has no official notes but is buttery, boozy, spicy coffee cake.

Blood and Judgment So Well Commedled (Lilith 2015): A little kid’s interpretation of Hamlet’s BFF. A scent of kindness and devotion, friendship and loyalty: soft brown leather and brushed suede with bourbon vanilla, toasted almond, tonka bean, and amber.

Pottaskefill (Yule 2015): Salt licorice, birch tar, black pepper, and leather.

Lol! I was going to recommend Gacela of the Dark Death (although it's not that recent!), I just tried it last night and it was divine.

Sherlock Holmes - A fastidiously clean scent, with a dash of pipe and cigarette tobacco. Faintly beneath, you catch the fragrance of a smear of greasepaint, a stray horsehair, and a whisper of Moroccan leather and rosin.

Pottaskefill - Salt licorice, birch tar, black pepper, and leather.

Mars Rigonemetis - Dark musk entwined with ivy, black pine, birch tar, cypress, black cedar, and black pepper.

Gingerbread Sin - Gingerbread with amber, sandalwood, black patchouli and cinnamon.

For smoke (GC, not recent!) I like both:

Rumpelstiltzchen - Firewood and ash with an oddly otherworldly blend of patchouli, cardamom, nutmeg, black pepper, tonka, vetiver, and myrrh.

Dragon's Hide - Dragon’s blood, leather and a hint of smoke.

Check out the whole Mars Collection ! I like Alator and Ultor. Also Gelt, if you haven't tried it.

Thank you all! I'm definitely eyeing the Mars collection, when I can find samples this side of the pond! So many scents overall that look great, though.

The whole Visions of Autumn sub-series, from Halloweenies a couple years back, sounded really great but I never tried any of them. That's only because I wanted all of them and couldn't narrow down my choices! I'm sure others here can recommend specific ones.

Not sure if you like the lab's dead leaves note, but there was another sub-series in the last Halloween update that was all dead leaves scents. They're all called "Dead Leaves and..." with other notes. Again, I couldn't narrow down my choices so I didn't pursue any of these.

And speaking of Halloweenies, La Femme de Satan was my favorite from the last Halloween update: "Red musk and cacao with clove, caramelized tobacco, aged patchouli, red currant, black leather, and vanilla-infused amber". Definitely suitable for a man or woman!

And finally, Bram Stoker is worth a try, and it's in the general catalogue in the Inspiration section: "Bourbon vetiver with opoponax, Italian bergamot, and hay absolute". I enjoy it quite a bit.

I might think of more later on....

Definitely echo the suggestions for Blood & Judgment So Well Commedled & Pottaskefill.

I also VERY much enjoy Ad Montes Oculos Levavi from the Crimson Peak line. There's something about it that reminds me of Dee, which is one of my all-time favorites.

Here are the notes for those 2 sub-series......

Visions of Autumn I - White cedar, black pepper, golden amber, bay leaf, and 4-year aged oudh

Visions of Autumn II - Gurjum balsam, rose geranium, opoponax, violet leaf, brown leather accord, and patchouli

Visions of Autumn III - Bourbon vanilla, aged patchouli, honey, and Ceylon cinnamon

Visions of Autumn IV - Somalian myrrh, orange blossom, champaca flower, and verbena

Visions of Autumn V - Haitian vetiver, tea leaf, Himalayan cedar, and apricot rind

Visions of Autumn VI - Oakmoss, lavender absolute, petitgrain, rockrose, white patchouli, and sage

Visions of Autumn VII - Tobacco absolute, myrrh, opoponax, black sandalwood, and black pepper

and the Dead Leaves series:

Dead Leaves and Tobacco

Dead Leaves, Black Pepper, and Sandalwood

Dead Leaves, Bourbon Vanilla, and Myrrh

Dead Leaves, Frankincense, and Copal

Dead Leaves, Honey, and Oudh

Dead Leaves, Red Musk, and Neroli

.....again, I didn't try any of these, but they all sounded pretty good and I think they were variously popular

I really think All That I Possess is amazing and it reminds me of Dee. Scholars Tower. Pottaskefil. Perhaps Le Pere Fouettard? It smelled very masculine/leather on me and more foodie on my husband.

Oh, and don't forget to check out the GC RPG scents. Ranger is fantastic on my husband. Orc, Dwarf, and Gnome I'd say lean towards masculine and have interesting food notes. Fighter - blood, leather, musk, and steel. Nough said. Dwarven Ale smells like pumpkin beer.

Edited by VetchVesper

Seconding

Pottaskefill (Yule 2015): Salt licorice, birch tar, black pepper, and leather.

Also, the whole Mars Series from 2015 lupers were incredible, but especially

Mars Rigonemetis - Dark musk entwined with ivy, black pine, birch tar, cypress, black cedar, and black pepper.

and

Mars Loucetius - A white tea chypre with rockrose, white sandalwood, and champaca flower

Also, not my cup of tea, but a lot of people seem to be swooning over Mars Ultor.

Or maybe six! I haven't bought any new bpal for that long, just used the scents I had, and I'm starting to get back into it again. I'm starting to construct a new wishlist, and realised I haven't updated my existing one since '07... O.o Please, help me get back into the swing of things!

To give you an idea, some of my favourites are Schwartzer Mond, Golden Priapus, Gacela of the Dark Death, Pinched With Four Aces, Dee, John Barleycorn, Luperci (original), Shub, Orpheus and notes I like include smoke, leather, incense/resins, woods, green/sap/grass, some foodie notes like coffee & vanilla & dark choc/cacao, earth and booze.

swing away!

personal favorites:

weenies:

visions of autumn 6 and 7

dead leaves and tobacco/dead leaves and black pepper and sandalwood

single note: disappointing pencil

the phobias of a few years back

yules:

eldritch drunken constellations

the burying ground (miskatonic yule fest scents of '13)

the phobias of '14

gingerbread troll

gingerbread goblin

lupers:

mount fuji reflected in lake misaica

loonies:

palus putridinus

lacus mortis

lacus odii

moons of jupiter: metis

managarm's bloody jaws and the ragnaroks

a grievous swarm and the plagues of egypt scents

ollas:

wooden bullet

quintessence of dust

in templum dei

this is your wilderness

adam

ian

kit

cafe 1001 nights

edge of doom

shelley, byron keats

funnel of love

crimson peak:

ad montes oculos levevi

crimson peak

crimson

the magician

general catalog stuff

the skeksies/dark crystal

interfector

all things hellboy

imaginer

gatekeeper

lord leopold and the ECCC scents 2014

there were some single notes too

these long winter days HG from the post

La Ronde Du Sabbat

Satan Summoning his Legions

Satan Starting from Uthuriel's Speer

Pan Twardowski and the Devil

Witchcraft Scene

Mars Corotiacatus

Midnight Mass

Autumn Fancies (grass)

Autumn Coolness (grass)

Interfector

Prosperous Flowers of the Elegant Twelve Seasons

Doc Constantine

Organ Grinder

Visions of Autumn VII

Looming Spectre of Inutterable Horror

Ian

This is Your Wilderness

Streets of Detroit

Wild Indigo Duskywing

Ichabod Crane

Tatie Bogie

Cuchulain Fight with the Sea

Marche Funebre

Graveyard Dirt

Dawn: Cernnunos

Young Pine Saplings

WILF

The Christmas Tree phobia scent from 2014 Yule that I cannot spell

If you like musk, Faunalia

Bloodlust Bonbon

Memory of Primal Secrets

I'm a chic, but I do love masculine scents, especially leather, incense and wood

These are from more or less the last 5 years

Edited by sprout

Welcome back! I also love Gacela.

Dead Leaves and Tobacco fourthed, or fifthed, or whatever I am at this point!

Season of Forgiveness isn't getting much love yet, and I can't understand why - it's amazing. It'd be incredible on a guy.

Theodosius the Legerdemain is *unbelievable.*

La Ronde du Sabbat may be up your alley.

Edited by ImpImp

Dark Chocolate, Tobacco, and Vetiver from this year's Lupers (up right now) is a slam dunk as far as smoke/cacao goes.

I second Satan Summoning His Legions, which is a delicious leather/incense blend, but be warned if you're sensitive to spicy oils - I got the red/burning cinnamon skin reaction with it.

Fighter from the RPG series is a very strong, almost single-note leather. It smells just like sticking your face up against the lining of a set of brand new Vanson's motorcycle leathers and inhaling, and it layers well with most of the other RPG scents mentioned upthread.

I've heard good things about skekUng the Garthim Master (dragon's blood, vetiver, and smoke) but have never tried it myself.

The Ars Draconis scents (GC) all contain dragon's blood and most of them are pretty unisex. You might like Dragon's Hide (dragon's blood, leather, and smoke), or Dragon's Claw (Dragon's blood and sandalwood).

Top 10 in no order (I don't know years, spelling, or punctuation)

Schmendrick the Magician

Dracul

Troll

Theive's Rosin

The Deep Ones

Cthulu

Theodosious the Legerdemain

Organ Grinder

Wooden Bullet

Paladin

HUGE recommendation for Knight in Shiny Armor:

Dapper lavender fougere with white carnation, sweet oakmoss, clary sage, crisp leather, bourbon vanilla, and a hint of armor polish.

This is my husband's signature scent and I'm still kicking myself for not buying backups. To my nose (and on my husband's skin) it's in the same family as Dorian and Jareth but not nearly as sweet. The leather and moss is much more in the forefront.

Satyr is my absolute, all-time favorite masculine bpal scent. I can think of several others I like, but none of them even come close. Fenris Wolf would probably be my second favorite.

Definitely definitely The Two Old Men from this year's Lupers for coffee/leather.

The Bow & Crown of Conquest is a sensually masculine scent. An almost creamy cedar with sage, lavender, and leather (and other notes but those were most prominent to me).

You might like The Jersey Devil or Thanatopsis for the pine.

Am I overlooking it or are people really not recommending CP's Alan McMichael??

I feel like this scent, just like his character, is so under appreciated.

I HIGHLY recommend it, especially if you want something masculine and foody-ish. I noticed you listed boozey and earthy as well!

I wouldn't say it was extremely gourmand but the bay rum has a spicy vanilla quality further deepened by the sandalwood. It's not too sweet at all.

As I saw in the reviews on it, someone said this was something you would wear lumberjacking and I can't agree more.

It has a piney, cloviness under the bayrum and sandalwood at the dry down that is gorgeous.

I can't think of any perfect ways to describe this but it really is a very unique scent to me.

It almost has a Christmasy(not to deter you) quality to it because of the pine, bay rum, and clove.

It's not as simple as 'bayrum and sandalwood.' The scent note description make it come off so simple and boring but it's NOT.

I don't gender perfume oils at all but if I had to this is the perfect masculine blend. Sweet(but not too sweet, I stress) and spicy and comforting. A bit warm, but not stifling.

Edit: I know this isn't within the last 5-6 years (it's from 2008) but have you considered Fredric?(Victorian whimsy and piratical romance: a reluctant seamans chypre sloshed with a mix of bay rum, patchouli, amber musk, dark woods, tea rose, and red currant.)

It's mouth watering. Earthy, boozey, sweet, spicy. I tend to amp rose, but its all so well blended it really behaves! No sour or powdery monstrosity at all!

It has it all and is my signature scent! It ages so, so, so well.(I am collecting several backups as I find them lol)

Edited by PersimmonSeeds