Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Rayvyn86

ISO *Perfect* Winter Scent!

Welp - I'm done for Autumn scents. It's not even worth pursuing any more Autumn scents now that I have my hands on Samhain and October!

I've been slathering myself with them since I got 'em in early autumn, but I'm craving a seasonal change.

So, I'm looking for that same "Samhain-level" perfection for Winter! I don't even know where to start! I want something fresh and crisp and snowy; although the snow in Skadi was too "laundry detergent" for me. Are all BPAL'S snows (along with Yankee Candle and everyone else?) laundry-detergenty?

I also maybe want berries, but definitely NO MINT. NO MINT at all. I want crystalline beauty; breath hanging in the air while soaking up the warmth of a hot mug of coffee. Holly? A stream breaking through the snow?!? Pine? No Cinnamon. I also don't like florals - mainly rose and lavendar. I'm shying away from the snow scents, b/c BPAL's "snow" doesn't do it for me.

After barreling into the world of BPAL, I decided to stay away from foodie scents because I can get all the foodie I want at the chain stores - buuuuut I may be open to a cookie or a vanilla note in an otherwise perfect winter BPAL scent.

And finally, my ideal winter scent would be as potent as Samhain. I want it to last and last and throw and throw.

So my fellow BPALers, any suggestions? The forum is so overwhelming I was unsure where to even look for such threads in the form (I'm sure they're there!)

Skadi was so, SO close - but, eh. I'm looking for more!

Edited by Rayvyn86

Hm. That's challenging as you don't dig the snow note, but immediately I thought of Braving the Ice. It's foody but very different from regular retail vanilla things.

Have you tried Gacela of the Dark Death? To me it's a resin heavy forrest kind of scent, very beautiful and cold. A definite pine note.

Edited by stellamaris

I thought this year's Snow at Noon was lovely, but it's almost identical to Skadi, so it might not work for you. Almond Blossom (Yule 2013) is in the same vein.

Loup Garou is a GC (Diabolus) which my notes say is "like walking through a very crowded Christmas tree farm."

Knecht Ruprecht (Yule 2012, I've seen it recently in Swaps/Sales) is definitely pines in winter, not BPAL's regular snow note.

I have not yet tried this year's "The Second Morning After Christmas" or "Unmanageable Snowdrift," but give the reviews a read.

have you tried ded moroz? it doesnt "throw" more than average but it lasts overnight on me. I can smell it on myself if I dont go out of my way to remove it, if that makes sense.

also want to add, some mentioned getting mint from the wet stage and I never really did. I cant tell from all the reviews if it was light for most people or strong mint, as a fair number dont mention it being minty. I would not describe it as minty personally.

Edited by _surya

I recently tried Moon of Small Spirits, which was a December lunacy from several years ago, and so far, it's my favorite winter scent ever. It's what I thought Skadi would be (Skadi is lovely, just not what I expected). The description is "Snow-blanketed wild grasses, sage, swamp tea, cedar, giniminagawunj, copal, rosehip, juniper, clover, elderberry, sweet flag, butterfly weed, wood sorrel, and pine."

It's lovely. Don't let the pine or cedar scare you off. I don't like "wood" scents very much at all, but this doesn't smell like a mothball or hope chest -- it smells exactly like a forest in winter. I love it. I don't know how hard it is to find, but if you're curious based on the notes I posted, PM me and I would happily decant a half imp tester for you to try.

giniminagawunj

Gesundheit. What ingredient is that?

haha Your guess is as good as mine! I just googled it and the only thing that popped up were entries about this particular perfume. It's magical unicorn farts! I'm going with that.

haha Your guess is as good as mine! I just googled it and the only thing that popped up were entries about this particular perfume. It's magical unicorn farts! I'm going with that.

Wait, that's the official name of this stuff?

Edited by Soupy Twist

I thought hated the Lab's snow note as well, but there are a bunch of different snow notes, and I have fallen madly in love with the one in Mat Night - caramelized tobacco and slowly falling snow muffling the scent of a distant fire. It's my perfect winter scent. I got it on a whim - thought I hated both snow and fire/smoke, but I love tobacco. It's primarily slushy snow on me, it has jumped onto my top 10 list, and I have gotten a ton of compliments on it. If you're feeling brave, give it a shot!!

Hunger Moon is my frosty Winter sky scent. No berries, mint, holiday spice or pastries. Just the smell of the cold sky with a hint of ozone.

I've tried many, many Winter scents in my quest to find that crystalline, pure sky scent like the space between the stars. This one does it for me, maybe it is what you're searching for...

Edited by sprout

I thought hated the Lab's snow note as well, but there are a bunch of different snow notes, and I have fallen madly in love with the one in Mat Night - caramelized tobacco and slowly falling snow muffling the scent of a distant fire. It's my perfect winter scent. I got it on a whim - thought I hated both snow and fire/smoke, but I love tobacco. It's primarily slushy snow on me, it has jumped onto my top 10 list, and I have gotten a ton of compliments on it. If you're feeling brave, give it a shot!!

oh dag, now I have to try this. It sounds wonderful.

Hm. That's challenging as you don't dig the snow note, but immediately I thought of Braving the Ice. It's foody but very different from regular retail vanilla things.

Have you tried Gacela of the Dark Death? To me it's a resin heavy forrest kind of scent, very beautiful and cold. A definite pine note.

Oh! Thank you for the suggestions! I'm realizing I'm sooo particular because I found notes in both of your lovely suggestions that I have blacklisted. Braving the Ice has got mint, and I can't/don't do clove from Gacela of the Dark Death. They do sound interesting tho!

Edited by Rayvyn86

I thought this year's Snow at Noon was lovely, but it's almost identical to Skadi, so it might not work for you. Almond Blossom (Yule 2013) is in the same vein.

Loup Garou is a GC (Diabolus) which my notes say is "like walking through a very crowded Christmas tree farm."

Knecht Ruprecht (Yule 2012, I've seen it recently in Swaps/Sales) is definitely pines in winter, not BPAL's regular snow note.

I have not yet tried this year's "The Second Morning After Christmas" or "Unmanageable Snowdrift," but give the reviews a read.

OMG! OMG! You're freaking awesome! I don't like the sounds of the mint, eucalyptus and camphor in Snow at Noon, but Almond Blossom is a definite "maybe."

And Knecht Ruprecht sounds WONDERFUL, but seems to be a bit hard to find.

but. But, BUT!!!! The Second Morning After Christmas. OMG! OMG! YES!! All the notes sound DELICIOUS! (I really love all the tabacco pipe ones), AND the added lure of Sherlock holmes in a purple dressing gown? This is def on my list! - I'll be ordering/ebaying TODAY!

have you tried ded moroz?

Wow! Ded Moroz sounds really interesting! But, I shy away from BPALs with so many different scents/notes. I'm still a newbie and it overwhelms me to consider all those notes. On the other hand, I suspect Beth knows what she's doing ( :wink: ), so how do I overcome my fear of complicated scents?? Spirits...

Edited by Rayvyn86

Ooooh! This sounds FANTASTIC! Reviews say it "gender neutral," which is what I usually gravitate towards! Even though there are only three reviews, I think I'm coveting Mat Night! I see it's a 'retail only' scent, so I'm assuming I'll have to get it in the forum/Facebook/or Ebay. Wish me luck!!!
Gah! So, I'm wearing Miskatonic U right now in a scent locket, and I'm reveling in it. REVELING. Like, I'm in a freezing cold classroom doing nothing for eight hours, and I don't even care because of Miskatonic! That's what I want my new winter scent to be, and Mat Night sounds SOOOO CLOSE!.
Edited by Rayvyn86

I recently tried Moon of Small Spirits,....

You're so sweet, thank you! But I must say, this scent sounds....complicated!! As a newbie, Like, I immediately discount a scent if there are more than like five notes notes, or a ton of ones I'm unfamiliar with. I gotta get over that somehow!

Edited by Rayvyn86

Ooooh! This sounds FANTASTIC! Reviews say it "gender neutral," which is what I usually gravitate towards! Even though there are only three reviews, I think I'm coveting Mat Night! I see it's a 'retail only' scent, so I'm assuming I'll have to get it in the forum/Facebook/or Ebay. Wish me luck!!!
Gah! So, I'm wearing Miskatonic U right now in a scent locket, and I'm reveling in it. REVELING. Like, I'm in a freezing cold classroom doing nothing for eight hours, and I don't even care because of Miskatonic! That's what I want my new winter scent to be, and Mat Night sounds SOOOO CLOSE!.

Or you can actually order it directly from Pretty Indulgent, they ship to the US. :)

I want Skadi with mooooooar berrries!

This is well-trod territory, I know, but I've always enjoyed beating a dead horse! (Wait, should that be inspiration for a new scent?)

Anyway, hit me with your recs for snowy/piney winter scents, heavy on the berry (with sweet as an alternative). Smoke/fire doesn't hurt, either.

Would love some GC or current Yule scents, so I don't start obsessing about some impossible to find prototype from 2001 or something!! ;P

Edited by Rayvyn86

For snow plus berry:

Midwinter's Eve!

Perchta

Snow Maiden

I hate to mention Rares but Ice Queen too

For Snow plus sweet:

Snow White

Snow Flakes

Winter-Time

Night Guant

Edited by sprout

For snow plus berry:

Midwinter's Eve!

Perchta

Snow Maiden

I hate to mention Rares but Ice Queen too

For Snow plus sweet:

Snow White

Snow Flakes

Winter-Time

Night Guant

Woah! Winter time sounds intriguing, and snow flakes and and Snow white sound right up my alley! Thank you for the recs!

Öndurdis always reminded me of Skadi :)

Oh thank you!! I had seen this rec elsewhere on the forum, but the poster misspelled Ondurdis, so I couldn't find reviews on it! After seeing the correct spelling and researching I'VE SENT THREE MESSAGES TRYING TO PROCURE A BOTTLE! Thank you!! :) :)

I don't know how hard it is to find now, but Old Moon 2008 is a good evergreen+berries scent :D

Oh, man!! This sounds just what I was looking for!! Ok, I'm burrowing back to the sales pages again!!

Elf reminds me of a summertime Skadi, if that's something you'd be into.

A summertime Skadi?? Intriguing!!