Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
HerbGirl

On the Porch in the Rain

A white chypre drenched in soft spring rain against a backdrop of gently swaying bamboo reeds.

Definitely aquatic but the bitterness that usually happens on my skin with most aquatics (except There's Water Here) is not happening here! This is a beautiful springtime perfume. If you kept trying to like Wild Swans at Coole (like me) but it never quite sat well (muguet possibly?) give this a try...it is riveting.

Also...this was reminding me of a (sorry!) favorite drugstore cologne that I wore in the early 90's...
thanks to TTP for helping me remember - Naturistics Botanical - the stuff in the pretty green bottle...this is quite similar, in all the right ways, and I am so excited! This is deeper and more exquisite, but they are similar to me :-) trying to be as helpful as possible - first review!
Edited by Herb Girl

This kind of reminds me of Y'ha-nthlei. It's a cold, smooth aquatic that smells like water themed cologne and doesn't go as intensely soapy as most aquatics tend to, though it's definitely still very much a clean fragrance. The bamboo is a gentle, green presence. This does make me think of getting caught in a chilly spring rain, with wafts of clean laundry getting soaked on the line.

So yeah. This smells like, um, standing on the porch.... in a cool spring rain, which is unoriginal but really that is mostly what comes to mind. I get a few whiffs of clean laundry coming through, and the scent reads _intensely_ feminine to me - my 6 year old wanted to try it and I got some dissonance with him wearing it since he usually prefers more unisex scents.

I have not fallen in love with a BPAL aquatic since Ulalume and that one had beautiful rotting leaves to dirty it up, but this one is quite lovely. Very wearable, reads as straightforward "perfume", but utterly unlike anything in a department store right now. Unexpected and wonderful.

Tzi

This is beautiful. there is some delicate greenery, like ferns. I guess that is the "white fougere" part of the scent. Aquatic scents can go a bit cologne-like and masculine but this one absolutely does not. There is a deeper, smooth not-quite woody note which I guess is the bamboo. This is really stunning, clean but not boringly so.

I'm not usually big on chypres, but this one is soooo pretty :)

It really has a springtime rain quality to it, very refreshing and cool. The bamboo lends it a nice greenness too.

I am considering getting a bottle since I have nothing like this in my collection.

If you love fresh, aquatic or green scents, be sure to give this one a try!

I sniff this and think green tea immediately! I like it in the bottle and right on the skin, but it does get perfume-y towards the end, not necessarily in a bad way as Tziporra puts it: "reads as straightforward 'perfume', but utterly unlike anything in a department store right now." Unfortunately, it fades on me to practically nothing in about an hour as many green tea scents do. Sigh.

Wet is almost all light aquatic, very spring rain, very fresh. Bamboo is in the background, and comes out in the drydown.

It stays light aquatic with bamboo for a couple of hours, then starts to have the white chypre background come out. At that point, it starts to go into a phase that reminds me of some light youthful commercial perfume. I'm thinking maybe the old Avon Sweet Honesty? Background of bamboo drops out at this point. Light and pretty, very youthful.

In the bottle: Very aquatic. (It reminds me of how I find the sweet snow note to smell.) Also smelling the bamboo in the back.

Wet: Aquatic and slightly floral. The bamboo still in the back like I was getting from the bottle... I only wish rain could smell like this where I am at. It's a very lovely scent.

Dry: It doesn't do much for morphing. If anything it just smells a little more green, if you get my meaning.

I love this. I really seem to like aquatic scents and I am so glad I got this one. It's so fresh and spring-like. A great scent for wearing in the Spring time. I will be using this one a lot.

At first I'm scared this is going to smell like dryer sheets. It's a very clean-laundry smell for sure -- but softer, and definitely aquatic, not ozone. Once it calms down a little, I'm reminded of my own nostalgic drugstore perfume: the Love's Fresh Rain Scent my mom wore circa 1970-something! I get cucumber and bamboo and maybe water lily? There's a nice powdery thing happening on dry-down. When I want to smell clean, I usually reach for tea or citrus scents; this is a softer alternative I'll add to my warm-weather fragrance wardrobe.

Green tea, bamboo, and aquatic rain. On the drydown, it gets a slight dryer-sheet smell to it, but I can see why people are going crazy over this. It's soft, clean and yet like the perfect skin musk. Lovely.

Blind bottle purchase from the lab because I am obsessed with light, watery, tea scents.

IN THE BOTTLE:

Wet green floral. I LOVE how this smell in the bottle. It's a beautiful blend of crystal rain and woodsy notes, balanced by steamy mist and greenery. Clean, pure and softy herbal. RAIN!!

WET:

The floral and bamboo parts amp just after application. Tiny clouds of the clearest, blue-green crystals explode within my mind. I get similar fragrance notes while peeling and slicing a plump, green melon.

DRY:

I keep getting whiffs of the beautifully blended chypre notes including resinous, sticky stems, soft oak moss and the wet musk. The aquatic element has turned to fog-the rain has stopped an left only steam.

NOTES:

This is a perfect complement to clean skin. After a morning shower, it mixes with my body heat to make a wonderful freshness I can't duplicate with any other fragrance. I wish the aquatic part was a little more apparent after dry-down but I'm enjoying how it doesn't morph into something overly sweet. Another Luper winner for the warm weather.

:heart: 9.0

Edited by Jenjin

Cool green tea and bamboo dominate this blend, but it leans a bit more earthy and citrusy than bamboo and tea tend to by themselves, which makes me think of the oakmoss-patchouli-bergamot part of chypres. I do smell bergamot or another orange at first, and maybe a light musk. And I wonder if a drop of lilac or wisteria is helping with the rainy part, because I get something blue-purple and floral for that.

The blue-purple floral grows to supplant the early bergamot impression as this dries on me, but is not long-lasting either. It's not long before something like a light mossy musk remains.

Pretty, soft, damp, green (tea-bamboo), and light mossy earth.

Aquatic and green in the bottle. Goes on very green and stays there. Some greenish florals/planty/cucumbery notes come in as it dries, and then something like a sweet linen? a white floral? A little too sickly-sweet for me.