Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blue musk, white frankincense, wisteria blossoms, and lemon peel.

This one smells like the most delightful spring night! The wisteria is blooming and there is a faint balmy breeze. It's soft but potent at the same time.

I'm getting a bit of the lemon peel at first, but after a while it is gone, leaving only breaths of fresh dewy night air and clusters of beautiful wisteria blossoms.

So lovely!

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I always pay attention when wisteria is a note, because it's one of my favorite florals. I have learned that I can wear white frankincense and blue musk without them amping the other notes out of existence. The lemon peel gives me pause, but perhaps it won't be that strong.

In the Bottle: Gentle musk and incense with wisteria wafting over it. I agree with "soft but potent" and a lovely spring night in The Forest Floor's review above.

Wet: The strongest note out of the gate seems to be the frankincense, but it's maintaining that gentle quality. I'm picking up traces of lemon, but it's staying in the background.

Drydown: The wisteria emerges and it is everything I wanted when I saw several Lupers featuring wisteria. Rich, full wisteria blossoms backed by musk and incense.No lemon to speak of by now.

Verdict: Yay! At least one of the Shungas has wisteria front and center and gorgeous. I may have to swap around or buy a second bottle.

A soft, cool-toned blend. The blue musk is aquatic feeling and the wisteria is very clean and fresh. This blend is just like night-dew. The frankincense is a nice light incense-y base, and the lemon brightens everything just a touch. Much different than my other blends and very happy I took a chance!

In the bottle: Musky lemon.

Wet on my skin: This goes on with an initial whiff of lemon, which immediately fades and makes way for a cool, blue floral.

Dry: I'll admit now, I had no idea what wisteria blossoms smell like, but now I know! And I like them!!! This is indeed a night scent - cool, dewy, softly-musky, and blue, with just a touch of lemony incense. Like being outside in the late spring, after a heavy rain has ended, with candles lighting the scene through a window from inside the house. This is unlike anything else I have, which is exactly what I was hoping for! It's soft and feminine, and will be an excellent scent to wear through the springtime.

I don't know how this was managed, but Night Scene actually does evoke its namesake. I'm not sure how wisteria smells, but I am familiar with the scent of frankincense. The frankincense is strong, but transformed by the other notes--"blued" and then lightened by lemon lights. It makes me think of walking across an empty park at night, streetlamps in the distance and the cool moistness of the grass against my legs, the crispness of night air, and the squares of golden light from houses or buildings in the distance.

In the imp: blue musk and wysteria, reminiscent (to me, at any rate) of The Diamond's Gong.

Wet: musk, blossom, and the faintest hint of lemon.

Dry: I'd love to know, but this vanishes without a trace quite soon after application, and as far as I can tell, doesn't morph on me at all in that period of time.

Life is 1-2 hours at best with a mild throw.

Update: reviewed again after temperature-controlled aging, and while the notes listed above are the same, it lasts a lot longer. 

Stars: ★★★½

Edited by alyelle

Bottle: Musk-heavy wisteria. Faint, dry lemon peel. Very smooth.

Wet: Musk and lemon peel at night. (It does smell like a cool night.) I smell more wisteria when it's on my wrist than when it's on the inside of my elbow... Not exactly aquatic, but a night garden near a pond at least.

Dry: Subtle. Unless you slather your neck, and then you'll make clouds of blue floral musk around your face for a while. (I needed to test that, I guess.)

I'm glad I took a chance on this one, but it only lives an hour or two on me.

A beautiful, dewy, deep blue reminding me of humid summer nights when there was heat lightning on the horizon. It has that feeling of excitement and langour. Midnight on the Midway but without the sugary incense and diabolic undertones. As with MotM, I have to keep sniffing myself every few minutes. Sometimes I think there is a blue lilac bush in this mix too.

30 minutes later: I had to wash this off. My lips and tongue started to burn and tingle. Same thing happened with Muse of Fire (which was the first time I had a negative reaction to a scent). I have alot of other floral/incense/lemon BPAL scents that don't do this. I wonder which ingredient is the culprit.

Edited by kscha2017

I like the lab's blue musk. It smells watery, cool, and still, like staring into a decorative pond on a quiet night. Very calming. A tart lemon splashes around for a few minutes, and I don't really care for the lemon, but it disappears after fifteen minutes or so on my skin, and I'm left with pale wisteria, watery blue musk and a hint of sweet frankincense.

This is a very calming, soft, meditative blend to me, pale floral and slightly clean (but not soapy). Cool and pretty.

In the decant: I wasn't very familiar with wisteria as a note until recently aside from being a floral -- wisteria is blooming here and I've made a point of smelling it frequently. So now I have a better idea of what it smells like. I'd put it into the same general category as orris and violet - sweet and powdery though it is definitely still recognizable as a flower. I definitely smell the wisteria in here, as well as the frankincense. I still don't feel like I know what "blue musk" smells like. I think the lemon peel is giving this scent a bit of "brightness" though I'm not smelling it strongly in the decant.

On my skin: Hmm, this is fainter than I was expecting. I'm mainly getting the wisteria with some incense in the background. Again, the lemon peel isn't strong or dominant, but I do smell it a little.

Unfortunately, as it dries this scent is kind of smelling "bathroom air freshener" to me. :( Fortunately, that association fades after a few minutes. I'm getting more frankincense as it dries, made somewhat soft, sweet and powdery by the musk and wisteria.

Overall, this scent is pretty gentle. It's okay on me, but I don't like it enough to buy a bottle.

Sweet powdery musky wisteria with a hint of lemon. Wisteria is a problematic note to my skin chemistry, so I'm surprised how this almost works on me. It's a blue night sky tinged with purple. Low throw and good wear length.

It's a very quiet night to my nose. Blue musk and wisteria gently comes through with a suggestion of a sweet lemon. It's more like these scents are being picked up on a breeze. It's almost taking a walk at night in late spring, so there's a briskness to the air. It's pretty and evocative, but I wish it had some more throw for me.