Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
radiantfracture

Beanman and Beanwoman Climb Genital Mountains

Hazelnut smoke and leather with dark musk, white cognac, caramelized vetiver, and a drop of honeyed whiskey.

First review! Such responsibility.

In the bottle and first on, this is a delicious sweet liqueur of smoky hazelnut and caramel (it smells like coffee liqueur to me, though that isn't listed in the notes). The leather makes an appearance, then a slightly powdery musk. The earthy vetiver fills in. At this point, it's a thick, rich scent, both foodie and substantial, like the smell of a shadowy lounge with leather-lined booths, whiskey and cognac glowing golden on the dark table.

On me, the musk dominates over time, and then the scent fades back to a gentle hazelnut trace. This is delightful, though I wish it hung around more on me.

Wet, this is vetiver, smoke, whiskey, and dark musk. There's some sweetness from the hazelnut and caramel, but mostly it's dark and kind of sharp.

For a while it's all dark musk, since my skin tends to amp musks and eat everything else. But after it dries, it settles down a bit and the other notes come back. I definitely get the musk, hazelnut smoke, and liquor. I wish I got the leather but if it's there it's subtle. This is a dark, smokey scent with just a touch of sweetness.

Not too strong on my skin even though I used a generous amount. I'm afraid this is probably due to my skin eating everything, so this review might not be very useful...

God, this is good. On me it's an almost gourmand vetiver, a little smoky and a little leathery, but mostly a thick rich sweetened earthy vetiver. If you're a vetiver fan in any way, you neeeeeed this.

Despite the hazelnut and honey/caramel in the description, this isn't foody at all on me, but neither (after an initial bast of leather during the wet phase) is it all leather the way Two Old Men was. The leather plays nice on me for once, and somehow combines with the hazelnut, cognac, and vetiver (which also plays nice - no overwhelming BBQ-pit-smoke phase) to produce something almost like coffee to round out the leather scent. I would have sworn there was coffee in this blend until I checked the listed notes. Coffee grounds, leather, and smoke.

Most of this year's Lupers seem to have a relatively short wear-length on me, and this one is no exception. I put it on around 10am, and by 1:30pm it was pretty much gone. Now, about five hours after application, no trace is left except a faint ghost of ground-coffee-ness hovering just above my skin.

This does not seem like "my type of thing" but something about it called to me anyway, plus, the name!! So I grabbed a decant.

Wet: Wow, so nutty and rich. Really different! Smoky, for sure. The vetiver is REALLY strong in the imp, but my skin chemistry eats it almost instantly, leaving me with rich nuttiness, and hints of smoke. It umm, kinda smells like peanut butter, if peanut butter were dark and sexy and a little smoky. This is really very foodie on me, actually. Sweet and rich. I feel like it's morphing constantly though. Interested to see what it dries down to!

Dry: This was so promising, but after about 40 minutes, it goes really wonky on me - kind of smells like rotten vegetables, and charcoal. I'm sad that my skin chemistry ruined this, because it was amazing and unique in the beginning. Really glad to have gotten to try it!

though all of the notes sounded intriguing to me, i was a little unsure when i first opened the bottle. i was overwhelmed by the intensity of the sweet in-your-face hazelnut, woody vetiver, and sharp booze notes, almost like uncorking a fancy aged scotch... but now that it's had time to settle, i can't get enough! it's such a well-balanced scent; i can smell each of the notes and they all work so well together! on me it's mostly rich, sexy smoke and leather... the hazelnut and honey making the leather almost buttery :wub2: makes me feel all rugged and manly. i'm really starting to think i need another bottle! :lovestruck:

Oh man, this is the good stuff.

Booze is a note that only works on me when it's thick and syrupy, and in this Beans blend it's definitely thick like molasses. If I didn't know better I would say this blend has tobacco in it, as I'm reminded a lot of Red Lantern but a thicker, sultrier version. It's sweet, smoky, and spicy, and incredibly well blended. This is going to FANTASTIC in the colder months.

I have a partial and may need to upgrade to a full bottle before the Lupers come down.

Oh man, this is so much more fun that I expected. Hazelnut, cognac, smoke and a touch of brown leather. Honestly, this smells like thick syrupy coffee and leather. I echo thatbrownelf in that it seems like a more masculine version of Red Lanter, with more tobacco in it.

Good throw and wear length. Oh those Bean people.

BPAL's musk is usually overpowering on me, but I saw "hazelnut smoke" and had to try this, because their hazelnut is awesome and I can hardly ever find it in blends.

Straight on and yep, musk overload. I feel like I'm in a head shop and there are people drooling whisky after gyrating around in some drunken, unholy hippy orgy.

But... after it settles, it's freaking good.

It's everything I love rolled up into one sexy little package.

This is soft leather that got drenched in gooey caramel and honey, then splashed with a bit of booze and set in a room full of nutty incense.

HNGH

Yes to the other commenters saying Genital Mountains (ha, who doesn't love the name?) is similar to Red Lantern, but this has a lot more depth to it.

It kind of reminds me of The Final Darkness too, which is another favorite. It's got a heavy but sweet incense-y thing going on.

The vetiver here is also in top form.

It's not in your face, but there's some earthiness underneath all the sweet notes, which I think prevents this from being too candy-ish.

Glad I took a chance on this one, definitely worth it!

In the bottle: I smell hazelnut smoke and dark musk, accompanied by some leather, caramelized vetiver, and whiskey.

On me: I'm getting a ton of musk. It's somewhat grape-y and reminding me of one of the musks I dislike from Smut. It's mingling with the hazelnut smoke and remains this way for a while. Then the leather, whiskey, and vetiver show up, but none can hold a candle to the musk for several hours, until the leather and vetiver finally push through and join the musk on the center stage. It ends up being a musky, smoky, leather scent on me, like someone slathered on some musk, donned a leather jacket, took a swig of whiskey, and rolled around in some vetiver (with some smoke in the distance).

Verdict: This isn't really my thing because I am not a fan of the musk in this one, and it's strong on me throughout wear. But if you are a fan of this type of musk and are intrigued by the other notes, I'd say give this one a whirl.