Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

A glittering celebration: folds of opium-stained, vanilla-smoked lace with white cognac and a splash of champagne.

WOW!!!
Got this SUPER fast!!

In the bottle - soft bubbly champagne-like lace... just as it's called!

Did a tiny skin test, since the bottle is still cold from being outside, but on, it really gets soft and pretty. Very lace-y. The champagne is there, but it fades. Very low throw, but pretty.

I think anyone that likes any of the laces, you will love this... it kind of reminds me of Antique Lace!!! Feminine and soft.

Been a few hours, and this gets real pretty..... very lace-y with soft vanilla. I don't get champagne anymore from first application or from sniffing in the bottle!

I picked this up because the description made me think it *might* smell a bit like Antique Lace and, sniffing directly from the bottle- it does. Like Antique Lace and light champagne. The champagne note becomes *slightly* more obvious once it's on the skin, but it's really well balanced- my skin usually amps the champagne note like crazy, but in this blend, it's actually staying put.

By dry-down the champagne fades into the background so that it's just a wisp of itself. At this stage, the opium makes more of an appearance, but again, VERY well balanced.

It's lost some of it's "Antique Lace-ness" BUT it's really a very sweet, spicy, sexy scent.

This is one of my favorite Lace scents so far and, depending on how it settles over the next few weeks, a backup bottle might be called for!

I am a huge fan of the Laces, and this one is really wonderful. Slightly fizzy with all the distinct notes that say 'Lace', it is reminiscent of Antique and also Summer, without the fruit.

Mostly it just makes me feel happy when I smell it. I am so thrilled with this addition to the family.

this has that same "Lace" ~ish-ness as the other ones i've tried from Dark Delicacies.

i know i tried Antique Lace, once upon a time, and i know i didn't much care for it but i don't remember much else.

i have (or have had) many of, if not all of (i dunno?) the other Champagne scents... the &Opium, &Roses, &Chocolate, &Party Hats... as well as the Peach, Sangria, Absinthe, Blood & Pink ones. plus the unreleased bath oil from the Post.

get where i'm going here?

i adore that champagne note.

and also frankincense. that bubbly, fizzy, hard to describe, somewhere between resin and tea leaves kinda thing.

this... isn't that.

so if the usual champagne note doesn't work for you, don't be afraid of this one.

this is a lot more resin-y. i've tried it a couple of times and i keep feeling like it is familiar. my head says Jacob's Ladder but i haven't tried that one in so long i could jut be scent-hallucinating or misremembering?

i get that ~Lace note, plus an almost woody, resin-y feel. no vanilla to speak of, smoked or otherwise.

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

I've scoffed at just about every Antique Lace comparison over the years until I could verify it myself, and never found any of them to be to true to my nose. I did not like Antique Lace, found it cloying and overly sweet. I've loved every "Lace" scent since and have them all, plus a few backups in my collection.

Well, folks, here it is. The fairly close dupe of Antique Lace you've all been waiting for. Except for the burst of fizzy champagne that lasts a few minutes, the rest is pure Antique Lace in all it's overly sweet, cloying glory. Super-sweet vanilla, lots of throw, long lasting.

The "lace" accord seems to be missing that smoky-tobacco like waft that keeps everything grounded. I hope Champagne Lace mellows as it ages, because I want to keep the collection complete. In the cellar it goes.

Oooh, I love this! It's wonderfully bubbly and fizzy when first applied, truly like a glass of champagne spilled over vanilla lace. Very bright, very pretty.

The fizziness mellows out at it dries but it doesn't completely dissipate. The opium becomes more pronounced but the vanilla is still pretty strong. It's beautifully sweet but I'm also getting that woody/resinous vibe that TTP got. It's definitely similar to Antique Lace but on my skin at least it isn't a super close dupe.

Even after 30 minutes I still have fizz. :D

This is truly gorgeous and I think I may need to scrounge up money for a bottle. :heart:

I'm SO glad I bought this! This is actually my 1st bottle of BPAL :D (I've been buying imps and decants)

Wet: 6:33pm omg loveeeee it's got the fizziness of champagne + hints of vanilla + reminded me of clove(?) cigarettes? the ones where the secondhand smoke smell sweet

20mins later, a lot of the champagne fizziness is gone

30mins later, the champagne is gone and now vanilla caramel smokey tobacco 'lace' is what I smell!

My method of applying was using 1 finger and tipping the bottle over. This has great throw I've noticed. I forgot that I had a faculty advisor meeting today and she said noted that I smelled 'unusual/interesting'? I can't quite remember because as she was mentioning it, she pulled out a jar of some kind of emulsion/lotion that she says is an Irish brand and she supports the Irish in the hopes they'll get independent (she's Romanian though?) LOL I now wonder if she said 'unusual' because she was wondering if I had started smoking.

TL;DR get a bottle. You know you want one! I kind of want another one. If this is reminiscent of antique lace, I can understand the hype! I haven't been around long enough to have enjoyed any of the other "lace" scents :( but I'm glad to have tried this one, I've been loving how refreshing the BPAL champagne note is <3

Thanks so much to my amazing fairy for picking this up for me!!

In the bottle: The Lab's beautiful champagne note, and creamy vanilla.

Wet: Champagne and opium are dominant. Sweetness from the vanilla and cognac come to the front after a moment, backed with effervescent champagne. This is so beautiful.

Dry: Lovely. My favourite thus far of all the champagne blends I have tried. I do amp champagne, but this is really well balanced. The vanilla is lovely. I will get a lot of wear out of this.

In the bottle: A burst of champagne, followed by the smoky vanilla, opium, and cognac notes that say 'this is in the lace family'! The champagne was a lot stronger when this first arrived, but it seems to have mellowed a bit after being allowed to settle for a few weeks.

Wet: The champagne note reigns, followed by the opium, smoky vanilla, and cognac. I tend to amp the Lab's champagne note, so I'm glad that I'm able to smell the other notes. I was worried this would be champagne like whoa on me.

Dry: The champagne is still the dominant note, but the smoky vanilla note has grown stronger over time.

Verdict: I am glad that this isn't a champagne single note on me. I like it, but it doesn't even come close to my beloved Summer Lace (which is probably a good thing, since it means that I don't need to obtain back-ups).

Only the second of the Laces I've tried, and I quite like this! On initial application there's a lot of effervescent champagne, and almost a hint of lime, which combined with the vanilla smells a bit like cream soda with limeade in it, which is a little peculiar if not unpleasant. After maybe 10 minutes of drying though, the fizz has died down, and it's much smoother and softer, the vanilla is really sweet and creamy, there's a hint of cognac, and it's quite a sweet, simple, happy little scent that I think I'll wear a lot in summer. A bit sad that I'm getting no opium, or smokiness with the vanilla, but maybe those will emerge as it settles, since it only arrived today. As it is though, it's clean and sweet, with an intriguing mixture of creamy vanilla and slightly fizzy champagne, and it definitely smells like a really fun, happy summer scent. Glad I got a bottle! :biggrin:

This smells like the love child of Vivement and Antique Lace. Fizzy champagne over top of a bed of sweet, cloying vanilla Lace. Good throw and wearlength.

Fizzy, vanilla, sweet.

Definite champagne note at first, then the distinctive cognac that is in all the 'lace' blends. Definitely vanilla, and it is pretty, but it doesn't really remind me of Antique Lace, the champagne and cognac are just too prominent. If the dried flowers were in the blend, maybe it would be more AL like. I do like this, but wish that the champagne was less prominent, but age may help with that.

In the bottle this has a very in your face champagne smell. It's not unpleasant at all, but I can't distinguish any other notes at this point, and it's a lot more green and fresh than I expected.

On the skin as it dries down the champagne fades and I can start smelling the vanilla+opium, and I really, really like it. Doesn't have a lot of throw but the sweet smoky vanilla lasts quite a bit on the skin!

On first smelling this, I did a little jazz hands sort of thing. I mean the BPAL champagne note is always a good one for me, but I love the smokiness that is there right away. I want to make a cocktail based on this with a vanilla bean simple syrup and something to capture the smokiness. Truly an inspiring scent.

I should preface this review by noting that I don't really care for champagne (the perfume component).

That said, the champagne note here is right on the edge of what I can handle. It's present but not overwhelming and cuts beautifully through the sweet Lace portion of this blend. It also lasts for only a few hours before the Lace takes over. The Lace here is sweet and glorious in all of its Lace-ness. I really love the Lace family of perfumes.

Overall, I really like this blend once it's gets over the initial "hello champagne!" moment. I can see myself wearing it surprisingly often.

I put this on immediately after getting it ONE day after ordering (Dark Delicacies is only 3 hours south from me and WOW it got here fast!). I dabbed a tiny dot in the crook of my left arm and have been smelling it ALL night. Antique lace is my favorite BPAL scent, so I know it well and this is what pushed me to buy this.

Applying wet, I thought "Ugh I don't like this!" when I first sniffed it. That I'm guessing must have been the champagne. I guess I'd rather drink champagne then smell it? It was just much too much. But this has that beautiful soft familiar "lace" scent, like Antique Lace does, but without the sweetness. I smell more amber or musk, or I guess this must be the booze + smoke? I don't usually like anything with booze or ambers... Hollywood Babylon actually nauseates me now, so I stay away from ambers. Maybe it's more of a animalistic musk? I was really thinking this wouldn't be for me, but now waft after waft, it's just the most SEXIEST scent.

I imagine this as Antique Lace's drunk cousin and hell yes, I'd hang out with her. Loving this!

EDIT: Today I noticed the familiarity was another BPAL scent I know and love. Funny enough, this is Delousing Powder. It is INTENSE the same way, but dries down for me as a powdery lemon. This is like powdered linens. I'm so obsessed with this scent!

Edited by Tristessa

Blind Bottle Purchase from Dark Delicacies. They don't mess around - my bottle arrived soon after ordering.

IN THE BOTTLE:
Oh lordy~how did this get on my lips? Bleck! Ok, anyways ginger ale. Fizzy, sweet, bubbly cream.
WET:
Ginger, lemon and golden resin are top notes while wet on my skin. The champagne is there, but much softer than I'm used to.
DRY:
Gorgeous, expensive smelling resins whirling around with the softest, vanilla lace. I'm not detecting any of the champagne. It has smoothed down into a sweet, lemony almost fresh cotton scent.
NOTES:
I'm a fan of the lab's champagne note and the addition of it with the lace adds a slight effervescence at the beginning. There's nothing else like in in my collection-SCORE! I find this to be very wearable, elegant and wispy~like the smoothest amber resin burning in a glowing, golden room filled with stacks of gleaming cotton sheets. I have worn this countless times this summer, it definitely calms me and makes me feel illuminated.

:heart: 9.5

Edited by Jenjin

I bought this because I wanted to try a lace, even though I was skeptical of the notes. My goodness, this is perfect! The hit of champagne at the beginning is gorgeous...I never smelled a champagne note before...wow! It settles into a lovely vanilla with a smokey note that is so sexy. The opium is very present...yum. My surprise knock out scent of the year!

I've decided that this is definitively "Dr. Pepper Dryer Sheets", something more of a "Vanilla Dr. Pepper Dryer Sheets" when on. I don't mean that in a bad way, I like the individual scents of dryer sheets, Dr. Pepper, and vanilla... put them all together into a curiously delightful scent with a distinct nostalgic quality (well, nostalgic to me, since I almost never drink soft drinks but Dr. Pepper was childhood favorite of mine.)

I cannot deal with the champagne note. It's fizzy, sickly-sweet and makes me think of throwing up alcohol (it smells weirdly sour and 'pukey' on my skin). I get a strong champagne and then the dry, clean, slightly powdery vanilla musk of the Lace blends.

As I write this note it is New Years Eve, and what better way to celebrate than some champagne?

In the vial, and in its first application there is a burst of sparkily champagne. This is that note that is so damn realistic that I can smell the bubbles. As I love sparkling wines, this makes my day.

That hint of sparkle never really goes away, but its quickly joined by a delicate vanilla base, and a hint of something smokey (the opium?) that grounds everything.

I've long heard tell of the Laces, and this one has made me a believer. I'll keep an eye out for further lace developments!

This is quite lovely. I have to be careful around vanillic cotton-y blends, but if I apply sparingly, I can enjoy them.

Champagne Lace goes on a subtle cotton-y cloud, with only a little tangy sparkle. The tanginess grows on dry-down, but stays close to the skin. I think it is pretty, not like sour grapes, but crystalline and sparkly. The throw is mostly vanillic cotton with an edge from the cognac/champagne, but the tanginess doesn't fully reach there. If I don't stick my nose to my wrist, this is mostly soft vanilla cotton with lots of depth (hi there opium) and a little sparkle on top. Very lovely. I will keep the decant for festive occasions.

My cousin is obsessed with this scent, so I felt compelled to buy a decant when I was able to track one down without a ton of fuss.

First Sniff Impression: Champagne like Bon Vivant, but less like ginger ale. And almost kind of smoky and musky.

Wet in Vial: I obviously get the champagne, and other booze that must be the white cognac. For some reason I get a scent that's reminding me of my husband? Maybe cause of cocktails he likes to make for himself or something? And it's definitely slight musky and antique-smelling.

Drying Down on Skin: The champagne in this isn't quite as fizzy as the Bon Vivant one was, but I also don't know the age of either of those. I'm not sure what exactly the "lace" is, so I'll have to compare with maybe the Black Lace I have. But it's a great partly sweet, partly smoky scent so far.

Dry on Skin: The champagne note hangs around for a while, even though it goes "flat." The vanilla and smoke is also pretty consistent. It's a rather close-to-the-skin smoke and musk, and the vanilla is light and not too sweet. It gives it a very sophisticated, antique Victorian scent.

Conclusion: This went back to more of a single champagne note at the end. It also had a decent lasting strength, at least in some form. I liked it a lot, but not enough to hunt down a super coveted, expensive bottle of it. I'll stick with a more readily available champagne scent if I'm craving that note.

Champagne Lace went straight champagne on me, with the rest of the notes being very subtle (enough so that I barely smelled them).

I actively dread champagne (it is so dry and aggressive to me, it always gives me a massive headache, and makes me feel like I could get a nosebleed), so unfortunately this one didn't play nice with me. 😔

If you like champagne though, and are a fan of Laces, you would definitely love this!