Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Mergekat

Do the Dancing Maidens Sleep

The evening bell tolls their knell: hyacinth and snow-dusted honeysuckle, sweet with asphodel and honeyed vetiver.

Do the Dancing Maidens Sleep I've worn today. It's cold, twinkling, and almost a fragile blend. Like the delicate nature of BPAL's Maiden mixed with that cleanliness of the Sherlock Holmes scent. I think Hyacinth works well and appeals to this giving an airy, crystalline nature to this soft floral perfume. Big change in its last dropdown hours later as it really morphes to a warm and sweet vetiver for me. Kind of relaxing at the end. Cool or warm, both sides of this maiden are very interesting. :)

*Also even though I think this was from The Nutcracker this image reminds me of the feeling I get from this scent.

Nutcracker-Paul-Zambrana.jpg

Edited by Mergekat

Hrm. Interesting.

My favorite honeysuckle blend of all time is Liaidan and Curithir, probably because of its salty-aquatic ocean honeysuckle. I've really enjoyed BPAL's honeysuckle, and have been really disappointed when I've tried to pick up fragrance oils to try to en masse honeysuckle all the things. This is most definitely a sweet, yellow honeysuckle, for sure, when smelled from the bottle. On the skin, whoa baby, golden, singing, bees up in your grill honeysuckle.

I remember Asphodel itself from the GC when it existed and for some reason that always read to me as 'wisteria,' although not quite. Hyacinth has also been a tulip-y, watery scent, although I can't really place what that smells like by itself. So, basically this is to my nose a very slightly snow-touched (extremely light!) wet lighter floral that is mostly honeysuckle. I think there's a little hint of sweet smoke but I'm not really getting too much vetiver, even with drydown. I think my skin takes the sweet honeysuckle note and runs with it. I think the honey is contributing to the sweetness but it's by no means really that apparent, not to me at least. My skin also tends to take honey and change it into a potentially sweet hot mess, and that's not happening (yet).

As a guy, I don't really know if this is something I can get away with wearing a lot of, but it'll be a nice honeysuckle alternative as I nurse my last drops of Liaidan.

Wet: Something dry and spicy, like cardamom but not quite. Gorgeous florals underneath. Really lovely already, and still blossoming on my skin. It's very light. Immediately I want to slather in it. This is so pretty, a beautiful spicy floral, not what I expected at all. This is different than any of the other florals I have. If it's this good on dry down, I will be so happy to have this in my collection!

Dry: Lovely spicy floral. I don't get any honeysuckle out of this at all, so I am not sure what I am amping here, but it's gorgeous and different than anything I have. Maybe it's the hyacinth I am getting or asphodel, I am not very familiar with either. Anyway, no clue what I am smelling, but it's floral, not too sweet, a bit spicy, and downright gorgeous. A keeper for spring and summer for sure!

ETA: now that its spring and I'm actually wearing this, I am noticing that there is also something fruity/citrusy about it too. Its lovely and different and it makes me happy.

Edited by LizziesLuck

In the decant: HONEYSUCKLE LIKE WHOA, followed by the brief appearance of another floral note. I'm not sure if it is asphodel or hyacinth, as I'm not too familiar with either of those. (I think I've only smelled asphodel in The Silver Stream.)

Wet: Honeysuckle, followed by the other floral that I can't identify, but it is bulbous and has a watery quality to it. That floral note is a lot stronger on my skin than it was in the decant. I can smell a bit of snow as well (it's not the sweet snow of Go to Sleep, Darlings or Snow White). The honeyed vetiver has not made an appearance at all yet.

Alas, the honeysuckle is not nearly as strong on my skin as it was in the decant. It hasn't gone away, but I really wanted complete honeysuckle gloriousness. So fair and foul a day, I have not seen. :cry2:

Dry: The other floral note is much more prominent now. The honeysuckle is still present, and fairly strong, but if you're hoping for single note honeysuckle, this is not it. As far as the vetiver goes, let me just say that vetiver and I do not get along, and I can barely detect it here. There is just a faint hint of smokiness in the background, but it is very faint. I have to press my nose to my wrist and inhale really deeply in order to detect it at all.

Verdict: I'm going to hold onto my decant, but I don't think I need a bottle of this. This scent has only strengthened my desire for a Honeysuckle SN or a sugared honeysuckle scent.

Edited by dementia_divine

This feels like a very heavy, grey scent to me - a sweet, honeyed smog. It reminds me of CP Edith Cushing a little, in its greyness and its cut-it-with-a-butterknife thickness, and there is a lot that I like about this - but alas, where Edith was creamy and foodie, this has a lingering Play Doh quality that I can't seem to shake. If I can't rehome my decant, I'll try it again in a couple of months, to see if aging has helped with that, but I think this might not be one for me. :(

This reminds me a lot of Nectar HG, mostly sweet honeysuckle. It's not quite as sweet as Nectar is, and the dusting of snow makes it a bit watery smelling, but they're quite close. I don't get any vetiver.

I love hyacinth, and since this is about a story the hyacinths are telling Gerda in The Snow Queen, I expected hyacinth to become the dominant note of this. But this is almost entirely "snow-dusted honeysuckle" for me! Just predominantly an incredibly sweet honeysuckle with the same dusting of the very sweet snow note that's in The Snow at Dawn and Fresh and Blooming as a Rose (sweet, but not cold).

I can tell there are other scents - I've heard irl asphodel smells like daffodil, so I do get a bit of that and the watery smell of hyacinth - but they're so far behind it that it doesn't come off very strongly.

I think I might be getting honey now in the drydown, but I don't get anything recognizeable as vetiver, and I still get honeysuckle.

I'm quite sad as earlier reviews made it sound like hyacinth came out quite forcefully and on me it absolutely does not. Of course, "snow-dusted honeysuckle" isn't at all a bad scent to wear, but how I am sad, for hyacinth is my favorite flower smell.

ooh this is very springy! I definitely get strong hyacinth and then the other florals come through moments later. I get some odd slightly medicinal honey too. this one isn't really working for me, the honey combined with the asphodel is turning kind of sickly sweet unfortunately.

Eeeek! This one is lovely. Springy hyacinth, honeysuckle and maybe a touch of asphodel. The asphodel gives it a grey coloring to it. There's a slightly chilly, fizzy quality to it.

But yes, this one is gloriously lovely.

Holy good grief amazing. I am going to wear this so much in the spring.

Wet, this is honeysuckle and something that smells like lily. Asphodel is a kind of lily, so this makes sense. It's a little soapy at this stage--not unpleasant, but soapy nonetheless, but wait for it...

It resolves pretty quickly, on me, into its full glory, and what I get is a well-blended floral mix (I can't pick out any individual flowers anymore) with honey and a very gentle version of vetiver. There's a scent memory at the edge of my mind, but I can't place it. But in any case, this is pretty much an ideal non-rose floral for me. I want to bathe in it. There's something a little wild about it, like it's tempting you to your doom, but you're going to enjoy said doom. Sooooo beautiful.

Kind of Snow Whitish waaaay into the late hours, must be the snow note.

I decided to buy this because I like Anathema, which is also a honeysuckle/vetiver combo. They only ended up being distant relatives, but you still want to check this out if you like Anathema, because that means you'll probably like the vetiver-juxtaposed-with-sweet-florals thing.

Edited by lady_pandora

This really wasn't what I expected, although I did get the snow-white-ish snow as well as lots of honeysuckle and some well behaved vetiver. No, this was nice but it reminded me of a honeysuckle and ginger hand cream I had once. Somehow the mint in the snow must be lending its bite to the rooty vetiver and making it smell like that ginger. (It doesn't smell like the lab's ginger at all.)

This is nice, but I can't get over the associations, off to sales.

Hyacinth and honeysuckles are among my favorite florals that I encounter when I go for walks in my town in the spring to take pictures of all the blossoming flowers. And I gotta say, this smells just like what I smell in real life. This is very much a spring scent to me and I ended up splurging on a full bottle of this!

When it dries, it's less honeysuckle and much more hyacinth on me :) The vetiver is very subtle and prevents this from being floral hell. Because of that, this isn't your basic floral fragrance and isn't overtly reminiscent of something I'd find in Bath & Body Works. A win, all around!!!

Sweet, honeyed honeysuckle with a perfumey, soapy, watery undertone from the asphodel and snow note. I don't smell any vetiver. Just a honeyed, spring-like floral with perfumey, soapy nuances.

This is a perfect spring scent. Like all the flowers sticking their heads out and shaking off the snow. Beautifully light and glorious. No heaviness from the vetiver and not overly sweet from the honey. I'm in love.