Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lycanthrope

In the Ground Where all the Dead Lie

Rose roots reaching deep into soil thick with memories of eons of the dead.

Rich, rich, loamy in the bottle. Definitely can get a bit of drier rose in the background, but this is a gritty, husky rose. These are dried, crushed rose petals.

I feel like I've sunk my face into a pot of soil. Over a few moments, what's a bit odd is that the scent starts migrating towards... spicy? While the rose doesn't amp, I'm getting an odd, but very fitting and pleasant swirling smoke. It's not vetiver, but, it's quite... oh! Yeah, that's a nice, beautiful smoky cedarwood. Not cedar or pencil shavings, but like the good essential oil of cedarwood. Deeply rich, very grounding, quite rooty. I have a bottle of Himalayan Cedarwood (Deodara) and this is immediately pushing buttons for it. I may be nose hallucinating, but it lends this blend a very true woodsy depth that is frankly amazing. Is there a bit of a white patchouli in here as well?

The rose plays quietly in the background, and on me never really has a diva moment (this is a good thing). I would classify this as environmental, still wearable but probably special circumstance. Over time the loam and soil note fades and this is a rose-kissed light golden woods blend. Starts heavy, ends on a nice thrummy middle note.

The Ground Where all the Dead Lie really makes good use of the dirt note—this is one dirty, rooty scent. Honestly, if there's a floral in here, there's just a drop, at least on me. What I smell is everything below the bloom: the stem, the root, the dirt. I agree with Lycanthrope that there's something woodsy in here, and could be a bit of patch. This would pair wonderfully with Rose-Boughs and Rose-Roots Hair Gloss.

For me, as much as I can appreciate the veracity of the dirt note, I like a little more rose with my root. Luckily for me, this is absolutely spectacular layered with The Rose. :)

In the imp & wet: Spicy, rich soil and a hint of Rose.

On drying, the first 20 minutes or so maintained the balance of soil & Rose. After that, the Rose disappeared. After about 2 hours, a salty, slightly metallic note crept in.

This has a wonderful, fresh soil scent that reminds me a lot of Yorick. (I don't get the salty metal note with Yorick, though.). I like this, but I don't need a bottle. Yorick is meeting all my current soil needs.

i like dirt. or, as we're fond of saying at the DSLE, i'm a dirt-y girl. there are a couple of us there (Hi Eoife!)

so i tend to want to at least try all possibly dirt-heavy blends. for my Graveyard Dirt obsessionistas out there? i get none of that here.

i love the Lab's roses, but i also don't get any rose bloom here. lotsa rose bush/stem/leaves smell (i used to hang out inside a gigantic rose bush, for hours at a time, so i know that scent well).

i do get something nose-pinchy and dusty smelling that reminds me of vetiver (but without the wet paper bag full of cigarette ashes-y-ness) but isn't. maybe some sort of bitter patchouli? none of my gramma's cedar chest. maybe a bitter sandalwood?

if Down The Rabbit Hole is to girly-rosy-sweet for you, this might be just your cuppa.

i'm glad i got to try this, but it isn't something i'll ever want to wear.

I really like this, and am in an agony of indecision over whether I need more than the half-bottle I bought! :think:

I feel like this scent should've been in the VILF collection - I messed around layering a few of the VILFs with Graveyard Dirt SN, to make more of a grave-rising vampire, and Cicuta's combo was quite similar to this, so it's lovely to have it pre-bottled! Usually I do not like florals with dirt - I don't like Zombi, or Deep In Earth, but this just has a hint of dry, crumbling rose with equally dry, crumbly dirt - it's not the rich loam of Graveyard Dirt, it smells much older and more peaceful, a sort of half-forgotten graveyard on a summer's day kind of scent, and I really love it :wub3: It smells of peaceful, dusty death, like a cemetery full of fallen war dead who've been sleeping too long to be pissed off anymore, and they don't mind the kids playing around their tombstones. It's very pretty, with just the tiniest edge of strange creepiness, and I think it's perfect.

Will have to see how I feel in a few more days, as to whether I need to hunt down more! :blush2:

Rich, loamy red roses. This is Graveyard Dirt and Red Rose had a baby. A beautiful, dirty, rose baby. Light throw, light wearlength.

Dirt, roses, and crumbling.

I wondered if this would be similar to Zombi, but it's really not.

There's something a bit spicy to this - like a floral spiciness. This is also sweeter than Zombi. Its got a lot of wood to it - rosewood I am assuming. It's really nice. I usually relegate earth scents to bedtime, as I find them soothing, but hard to wear during the day, but I can almost see wearing this during the day/evening. Its sinister, in the very best possible way. I like it.

Another lovely rose and soil for my collection, but this one has an autumnal quality to it - a touch of spicy, dead leaves, but then that morphs into cedarwood which just isn't my cuppa.

Edited by freyasfae

This is my favorite of the Snow Queen perfumes, but I really enjoy dirt scents. To me, this is soft, dry, dusty dirt with spicy, dry cedar chips and sweet, red, dried rose petals. Earthy, woodsy, dry rose. It's very gothic and haunting to me.

Fresh dirt with a sweet spice to it. As time goes on, the sweet, spice, root part of the scent gets stronger, but never overtakes the dirt. Where Zombi smells like you just planted a freshly bloomed rose, In the Ground Where All the Dead Lie Smells like you went digging in the dirt for roots and bulbs. I personally like Zombi better, but I'm a rose lover and I'm still glad to have an decant of this in my collection when the mood strikes.