Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

Fresh and Blooming as a Rose

White roses, white amber, and snowflakes.

My bottle just arrived today, and as it settles and warms up it may change, so I might need to edit this review later. But for now...this is glorious!!!

This starts off with sweet rose and the vanilla-snow of Snow White (my all-time favourite!). It's similar to Pink Snowballs (another fave), except that the rose note is very much a white rose, and its not as sweet. As it dries, the white amber comes out, making it very similar to Love Lay Upon Her Eyes (yet another fave!), but with the vanilla-snow background, and the slightly different rose note (white vs. red). :wub3:

I adore this and if it doesn't change with settling, I suspect I'll need a few more bottles in the future.

This rose blend is different than many of the other BPAL rose blends I've tried in that it's a sweet creamy note overtopped with hints of fresh rose.

The rose element to this perfume is light, crisp, and fresh. It's definitely a white rose note but not heavy or strong,

The bigger part of the blend on my skin is the amber-snow note. This is definitely a creamy snow note with a hint of vanilla sweetness (to be honest, it kind of reminds me of shampoo - maybe Pantene? - upon first application). I think the comparison to the snow note in Snow White is fairly accurate here.

If you like sweet snow and fresh roses, you will love this blend. For me personally, I'm happy to put this into rotation with my other amazing BPAL rose perfumes but it hasn't knocked my favorites (Rose Cross & Parlement of Foules) off their top spot.

This got a compliment from the coworker who usually is very "meh" about all my perfume. She says this is the best one she's ever smelled on me. This is something not far short of miraculous.

Anyway - for the first few minutes, this is a single note white rose on me. Very fresh and dewy. Later, the amber and snow come out to play, sweetening up the rose a bit and making this a very creamy, soft blend. I absolutely adore it. If the snow note in Snow White went to burning playdough on you (as it did on me) have no fear of this blend, because i get no burning playdough at all, just sweet, creamy, vanilla and amber goodness here.

This is very close to this year's The Bear Prince, without the musk.

It's the snow of Snow White + a beautiful lush rose, that indeed does smell like a white rose.

It's pretty straightforward and very beautiful :smile:

I had PROMISED myself no more rose for a while! I have so much! And then the Post drops this on us, and how can I say no???

Wet: Uhhhh swoon worthy already. This combo of notes is KILLER. No one thing stands out to me, the amber, rose and snow blend together seamlessly. :heart: Growing up, I had a friend whose mom smelled like this. I always thought she smelled so pretty and sophisticated.

Dry: This is amazing. It's perfumy, in the best way imaginable. The way the rose, white amber (which is much different on me than other colour of amber) and snow note mix to create something totally unique is really stunning here. I have nothing like this in my collection, despite having a ton of rose. This does not go powdery, or sour as rose can sometimes. This is perfect. I love it, and am so happy to have it! :wub:

Fresh and Blooming as a Rose is like a lightly ambered Snow White + white roses. This is like a cascade of warm whites—white roses, white amber, and snow. I don't always like the snow note, but it's lovely here, taking a backseat to the roses and amber. It's very clean and sweet and rosy.

My favorite of the Yule offerings this year!

Absolutely gorgeous soft amber with wafts of cool, barely minty-vanilla snow, and touches of warm & delicate true fresh rose petals

I am completely blown away by how beautiful this is.

To my nose and on my skin it is a simple comparison. If Snow White and Rose Red had a baby, this is the offspring. I really can't describe it any other way. The most beautiful rose with a touch of creaminess.

This is most loved and I am wondering if one bottle is enough (:

I've never worn Snow White or Pink Snowballs, but I do have this year's Yule The Snow at Dawn, which has the same "sweet" snow note in it. My mother gave me a rose head the day this arrived and I wore it and it's the exact same sweet rose smell as the actual fresh rose. The white amber and the snow note don't stand out particularly much as separate scents to me - they just seem to deepen the rose note here. Whereas I found Rose Red all dew, overwhelming the delicate rose, this is a chilly fresh rose that I can actually detect as rose-dominant.

The Snow at Dawn leans really sweet, almost too sweet, but this one is absolutely perfect. The amber really grounds it, and the rose itself leans tart and fresh.

In the imp, an excellent fresh Rose scent, with a hint of Amber. Fantastic!

Once it touched my skin, alas, it flattened out into a run-of-the-mill, warm, amber-y floral that had lost all its mojo. My chemistry obliterated what makes this blend fantastic.

I'm jealous of all the folks who can wear Fresh and Blooming, because it's something I would love to smell of.

i love so many of the Lab's rose-heavy blends. and i have countless straight-up rose perfumes and perfume oils. it was one of the first scents i loved as a little girl, and i still love it.

this is so similar to The Bear Prince from this year's Yules. so very, very similar.

i don't care for Snow White at all, or most of the "snow" notes in other things. but i like Snow-Flakes. and this (and The Bear Prince) are like Snow-Flakes, with roses. that one has musk, this one has amber (not baby powder). i think this one might be slightly more wearable for me, but they're really similar.

a creamy lush rose! i like it a lot at first. the rose in this is a nice one. however, i think the snowflakes aren't loving my skin. i saw references to snow white and that must be why, because i recall snow white not working so great for me. the vanilla/snow in this is just a bit too foody for my personal tastes. though i love a creamy rose and this is a nice scent, there are others that work better with my skin chemistry.

Gorgeous. This is a light gorgeous white rose with hints of snowflakes.

Now, the true question, so I love this or the Bear Prince more? Decisions, decisions.

ETA: So I think the white rose component shares ALOT of similarities with Rose Red, in that I get a ton of that green apple snap in this blend, which was honestly my favorite part of the Rose Red blends but was quickly overcome by the lush red roses. By comparison, the white rose is much more delicate, so you get that green stem bit alot more.

Edited by zankoku_zen

This is a seriously beautiful rose scent. I get the rose, obviously--it's white rose, and I think I can smell the kinship with the other two white rose blends I've worn recently, Symmakhia and The Waltz--along with a light amber and a slight bit of what I think is the snow, which is a little almondy and a tiny bit minty and reminiscent of Snow White and kind of shampoo-y. It really does feel both blooming and chilly at the same time--maybe this is just the name and story talking, but it does make me think of an innocent maiden blushing in the cold air. Just lovely.

In the bottle: Light rose and a comforting and sweet snow. I can't really pick out the amber, but I think it's giving the scent a "perfumey" quality but in a good way.

On my skin: Much the same as in the bottle. This is reminding me of Joyful Moon, another white rose scent I have. This is a scent that could probably go "Play Doh" on some people but thankfully isn't on me. The scent has a sort of comforting and snuggly quality.

It doesn't change too much much on me from wet to dry but the rose seems to fade into the background more and the sweet snow note comes out more as it dries.

White amber seems to work on me without making scents too powdery, but amber does make scents smell definitely like "perfume" to me most of the time (as opposed to the rose scents that just smell like an actual rose, not rose perfume). That said, it's a really nice perfume, and it's definitely in the sweet, comforting white rose/vanilla family like Joyful Moon.

Edited by sunlitgarden

I tried the Bear Prince: Loved the rose, didn't care for the weird dusty animal "bear" smell. 8T This is a GREAT ROSE with a little light, sweet snow. Snowflakes is about right. There's only a barely detectable edge/hint of a sweet/cold smell, don't expect to get smacked in the face with an avalanche of mint. Hopefully the amber will give it some longevity. Mmm! Yes to these roses!

On me, it's rose but I also get that synthetic "fresh" scent quality like a detergent/cheaper air freshener (snowflakes?). Not much of amber. Relatively long lasting with low sillage.

A fresh, slightly green stem and sap smelling rose with a cool, slightly minty, slightly soapy snow undertone. I actually don't think that this smells like Snow White, but Snow White is very sweet, creamy, and vanilla-like on my skin. On me, this is a clean, fresh rose more than a sweet one. Dries down less green and more perfumey/musky leaning.

I say this in the most loving way possible, but this smells like rose soap. A soft, powdery, old fashioned soap.

Some of you have just recoiled from the screen in horror, closed your browsers, and gone to sniff the richer roses in your collections. And I don't blame you, rose soap is not for everyone!

But for the person who sometimes wants a light and almost powdery rose, something old fashioned and sweet, then this is for you. Its for me too, on those days when a lush bloom is too much, but you need roses about you.

The memory of a rose in winter.

I love this! It's such a pretty rose. Soft, sweet amber and white rose combine with sweet, creamy snow. So soft and pretty, nice for when Rose Red and Peacock Queen are just a little too much.