Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
neptuneanblues

Dusty Accumulated Menorah Wax

I don't usually write reviews, but there were none for this one, so I'll give it a try...

... to me this smells like beeswax-scented carpet, or like a slightly-sweet version of "new car smell."

*EDITED* to add:

I actually love beeswax and dust in BPAL scents, that's why I tried this initially... and was disappointed that it didn't smell much like either of those things on me. Skin chemistry is a funny thing, y'know!

Edited by neptuneanblues

Beeswax, slight resin overtone, somewhat dusty. It does have that new car smell, which I know some people love! Good throw, good wearlength.

Love me some beeswax! I don't get new car at all (that scent makes me feel nauseated pretty rapidly, so I'm glad!) I just get dusty wax both in bottle and on my skin, the scent of the drippings on a candlestick that wasn't cleaned before it was put away. To compare it to a couple of other waxy nearly-SNs:

VS The Light of Men's Lives -- DAMW is a lot darker. The wax in TLoML is very clean and bright, the candles still burning, and the scent as a whole is warmer and lighter.

VS Hanerot Halelu -- That one is a little more sour and smoky, more reminiscent being in a room with freshly extinguished candles. It also has an interesting tang to it that I attribute to the olive oil. DAMW is sweeter.

All of them are fairly strong and last quite a long time, but this one has a slightly beefier throw and better longevity than the other two, though. I wore it at a convention, applying it in the morning, and could still smell it very clearly on my wrists when I passed out around 5 am.

Overall, if beeswax is your thing, or you're trying to figure out if it's your thing, and you don't mind a hint of dust, grab at least a decant of this one asap. If neither of these things appeal to you, well...don't. :3 It does exactly what it says on the package.

The beeswax is creamy, waxy, and turns rather powdery on me in the drydown (the dust?), smelling warm and honeyed. The olive oil, I think, is adding a bright, almost fruity tone on my skin. I like beeswax mixed with earthier/woodsy notes, but it's a little too simple and the olive oil is strange on me here.

Last year when the Yules came out, I had not get realized how much I love beeswax, so I never tried this. Upon realizing how much I adore beeswax, I had to seek it out!

Wet: Blah! That does not smell as I expected. This has a strange, golden, almost fruity scent. Smells like hot scented oil. Maybe menorah wax is different than beeswax....not sure why I didn`t think of that till now. This is rich, and sweet, and actually quite lovely, just totally not what I was expecting.

Dry: More like what I expected, though still a bit different than the beeswax note in scents I have and love (Loved to Death, Bunraku Theatre, No. 93 Engine, Wan White Humming Hive - this is not the same beeswax from any of them). It`s very rich, sweet, still a bit fruity, and golden smelling. I do quite like it, but can`t see wearing it. I think I like beeswax as part of a scent, but maybe don`t want to wear it as a single note. This would be an awesome room scent though, and I may use the rest of this decant in that manner.