Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Numanoid

Fireplace Cinders

WHOA!!

First sniff in the bottle...is a blast of....not sure what I am smelling!! Heavy... very nasal clearing! Could be something like camphor...not sure, but along those lines!

On skin - Ok, it does settle into what smells like an almost burned down fire, but there is also something green?? :wacko2: I know that doesn't make sense, but there is something semi aquatic there.... very faint!

Surprising low throw on me, but it is more masculine to me. Think this would be better on a guy.

i was afraid of this one because i expected it to be all ashes-and-smoke, more like Bonfire SN than anything else.

but i can only guess that this is cinders from a tarted-up yule log or something? because there's nothing ashtray-ish about this. i was pleasantly shocked!

my first thought was (to the tune of "chestnuts roasting on an open fire") Pine-Sol roasted on an open fire.

but that quickly settled down, and lost the acrid topnote, and warmed up. warmed up so much that it became almost that stereotypical "christmas scent" you get in potpourri and such... that really myrrh-y scent?

but not quite.

not quite a win, for me, but oceans away from what i was expecting!

I bought this bottle blind because I just had a feeling that I would like it. And I wasn't wrong.

In the bottle: Vicks Vapor Rub and pine trees. Very strong smelling.

Wet: Yep, reminds me of Vicks Vapor Rub and Pine trees. And now add a slight smokiness.

Dry: The Vicks Vapor Rub smell has really toned down now and is mostly Pine Trees. So much Pine and I still seem to get a hint of smokiness. It truly smells like Christmas.

Not at all what I was expecting, but I really love it. This is just so me. Not a lot of throw, at all, but still smells great to me... If anyone is afraid that this would be a super smokey scent or something, it is definitely not.

I blind bought this bottle and I guess I can't complain, It does smell to me like the remnants of a pine wood fire, but I don't think this is one very wearable on me.

In the bottle: Holy crap, welp my sinuses have been cleared. The pine is super strong in the bottle.

Wet: nope, too strong smells like I spilled pinesol on myself, my skin is hating this.

Dry: Double nope, the pinesol smell is worse because it has warmed up, My mother asked me if I was cleaning something because it smelled so strong.

This smell itself isn't bad if your skin doesn't turn it to cleaning fluid. I am keeping this bottle because I found that I really like it in an oil warmer. In an oil warmer it smells like christmas trees and pine needles, but in a good way. So I assume on a normal person this might smell nice If you want to smell like a fresh pine forest.

Camphor and pine on wet, and then it dries to a pine resin sort of smell. Slightly smoky. Odd, I would think of this as kinda ashy, actually.

This is... bizarre. I too was expecting it to be like Bonfire single note, which I LOVE, but this is something else completely. There's a very sharp, acrid, pine scent, with just a little bit of smoke. The smoke is actually almost foody and BBQ-like though, not really like the cinders I'd associate with a fireplace.

This is another of those BPAL scents that I can't quite decide if I like or not.

This smells like what I imagine it would be like to somehow set PineSol on fire. A very chemical, sharp pine with ash and smoke. Fireplace Cinders smells very harsh, sharp and sour on my skin.

Wand: Distant pine and a little smoke.

Wet: Strongly camphoraceous pine, acrid smoke, and flowery-sweet fire. Ah... what is that sweetness? A flower and a fig?

Dry: Similar. This reminds me of Bonfire room spray from, um, I think Nocturne, maybe? But sweeter and less woody.

I like it. More fiery scents seem to work on me than not.

I wasn't expecting to like this, mostly because of the name. Who would want to smell like an old fireplace? Well, me, it turns out. This has the same playful feeling as Devil's Night, which remains my number one favorite from BPAL. On me it's actually sweet and fruity, almost like mince pie, with some soft smoke/ash notes in the background. As it dries down the fruit/sweet dies down and the smoke becomes more prominent. It feels like the aftermath of a successful party or family gathering. I really love it!

It's almost as if there is eucalyptus in here, wasn't expecting that! On my skin it goes slightly chemical, with a very sweet note coming to the foreground (fruity or floral? Gosh I don't know), something resembling smoke faintly in the background and minty notes... It's really weird but it works well together!

I don't think it's for me but it's definately fun! :smilenod:

Surprising pine note - like some fresh pine needles have been sprinkled in the fire. The burnt ash vibe is strong, too, for sure. So, think Brimstone but less harsh because of the medicinal pine.

Oh. Like everyone else, I was surprised, It smells like the Christmas tree was a smidgeon too close to the hearth. 

Something underneath it is vaguely cologne. I recently picked up this same pine afterthought cologne sniff in the atmo “Rise Up and Walk”. Its intriguing, but not sure that I like it. But, in the SN there is also something very pretty and sweet, maybe a vanilla snow type nite? Not powdery, just pretty. 

But zero ash. Maybe St. Nick’s fireplace cinders always smell like happy Christmas? If so, this is it. 

I collect the single notes and this is a fun addition. 

My first thought after applying this one was Vicks' Vapor Rub. I got some camphor and/or eucalyptus, pine, and wood at the beginning, and was really surprised by the camphor, as I thought this would be a warm scent. Over time, it becomes woodier and ashier, and there's a soft, clean, non-acrid type of smoke mingling with those notes. By the end of the day, it is mostly (somewhat sharp and bold) wood with a touch of pine on a bed of ash, with some smoke soft smoke swirling around and a much softer coolness representing a fire that was extinguished some time ago.

This one was fun to try, but I don't think it is something I would wear.