Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
DevilsCandyCane

Irresponsibly Unwatered Christmas Tree

First again! :wacko:

Didn't have much luck with the single notes this time around, but this one, is awesome! I wasn't sure on initial bottle opening - first impression was a little too eucalyptusy-mentholy, where I've been a much bigger fan of the really true to life pine in The Jersey Devil, but actually, on skin this rapidly calms down, and turns into a perfect frickin' Christmas tree scent! :wub2: Gives me weird memories of crawling under the boughs of the Christmas tree as a little kid, lying there on my back staring up at the lights, and if I found fallen needles I'd snap them in half and sniff them, and this scent is exactly that - freshly snapped Christmas tree needles - that blast of distilled childhood Christmas-scent you get, and it's so lovely :)

It definitely is a single note - there's no creative extras with this one, but it does its thing perfectly, and I'm definitely intrigued for the layering possibilities! I (stupidly, arghh!) didn't go for the Snowdrift scent, but I'd bet that one + this one makes a really fabulous White Christmas layering cocktail! :thumbsup:

Think I'll be wearing this a fair bit over the holidays - much as I love sweet n sticky Yuley scents, on a day when I'm surrounded by family members and stuffed with chocolate, sometimes it's nice to have a scent that's quite crisp and clean, but still seasonal, and this is perfect :) (and oh, crap, I have GOT to try this layered with Lick It, holy balls - maybe that'll make for a snowy tree-thing! :smilenod: )

Tl;dr - THUMBS UP! :thumbsup:

This reminds me of bpal's discontinued Dublin perfume oil at first. It's a sweetish, misty pine fragrance that's strongly reminiscent of those tree shaped, pine scented car fresheners. More artificial than realistic smelling on me. It's okay, but I prefer the drydown. After wearing this for about a half hour, a clay-like, dusty, gentle earthiness creeps in and the mix of soft clay and pine reminds me of growing up and being outside in Southern Missouri. After being disappointed in the lack of clay in all of the Crimson Peak fragrances, I was pleasantly surprised at how realistically clay-like this smells on my skin. I also like the transition from misty pine tree to dry, earthy pine... poor unwatered tree.

Edited by Little Bird

Sniffing this in the bottle, seems actually quite opposite of the name... smells like the tree just got a fill up of water. I am not a fan of aquatic scents, since they tend to smell like salt water or a mossy lake, but this actually smells like, well....just plain ol' tap water under the tree!! So amazing how this was captured!

on my skin, the tree scent comes out beautifully!! Just like stated above, smells just like you are nosing around under the tree to find maybe that one last gift and all you smell is the tree. If pine/tree scents haven't worked for you in the past, try this one. It is very real and it is a perfect Christmas scent. Most pine/tree scents turn to urine on me (not literally!) but this stays true....light to medium throw!! I love this one!!!!

I really enjoyed this "single note" as it morphed beautifully from new-cut tree through dry boughs. The smell isn't quite as convincing or memory-invoking for me as for other reviewers (and I was a big-time Xmas tree sniffer as a child -- maybe I was raised with different tree species?). But it's still a lovely, clean evergreeny scent that wears nicely alone, and that I look forward to layering with all sorts of things!

In the decant: This smells like a Christmas tree! A fresh fir tree, not a dead one.

Wet: TREE SMELL. I love the smell of evergreens. This is like that, but more intense.

As time goes on, it really does start to smell like a tree that is drying out because everyone neglected to water it. But it hasn't turned as dry as the fir note in Aperotos Eros, though (at least, not yet!).

Dry: The scent has morphed from a fresh tree to a tree that has been water-deprived and is very dry. Fir needles are scattered on the floor.

Verdict: I'm so glad that I was able to try this! It's really interesting how Beth was able to capture the different phases of a Christmas tree. I don't think a bottle of this one will be in my future, but only because I don't think I'd reach for it enough. It's nice, though!

This is definitely the life cycle of a Christmas tree. Wet, it's very sharp and almost menthol-y, then as it dries it morphs into true Christmas tree, and then it picks up the woody/sawdust smell. The throw is very low on me, which I like since I'm around very scent-sitive people most of the time. The only downside is that when I huff my arm, there's a faint sweet perfumey afterscent, so I might try a scent locket and see if it's a skin chemistry thing. I probably don't need more than my decant of this, but it's quite a fun scent experience.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: At first I didn't even give this one a second glance. I have several BPALs with lovely evergreen bases that I treasure. And then I started reading the reviews. And I jumped.

In the Bottle: In-your-face fresh evergreen. I don't know if it's fir or pine or spruce or what, but it's full-on woodsy green.

Wet: Same as the bottle on initial application, possibly tilting strongly enough to be nostril-clearing. Is there something minty lurking in here?

Drydown: It quiets down a bit, softening into a cozy pure evergreen scent. I can see myself putting this in my scent locket whenever I want a hint of winter/Christmas.

Verdict: Definitely keeping this one. Totally a Christmas tree single note scent.

In the bottle: Definitely doesn't smell like an unwatered Christmas Tree. This smells completely opposite of that. It's like being in the middle of a Christmas Tree lot and smelling all of the wonderful trees all at once!

Wet: The scent is not quite as intense as in the bottle, it tones down quite a bit. But still, it is wonderful Christmas Trees.

Dry: Its not strong fresh trees anymore. It really does seem more like an unwatered/drying out tree now.

It reminds me of when I had real Christmas trees as a kid. It doesn't last long on my skin, but it is amazing while it lasts. This would be wonderful as a spray and spraying it onto my fake tree.

Dusty, dry, totally accurate pine needles. Not sure if I need a bottle but I feel like I'm wearing a photograph, if that makes sense. Absolutely perfect rendition of a really nice pine tree... in mid-January.

When they invent holodecks, they will be calling on the Lab to do ALL the olfactory bits.

Sweet, slightly dusty pine needles. It smells like a perfectly nice pine tree. Good throw, good wearlength.

Actually, this would be pretty awesome as a car freshner smell.

I love pine/spruce/fir smells. I have an absurd number of bottles and imps that contain said smells. with such a collection, i thought i would just enjoy my decant of this baby, and not need to go full bottle. then I started playing with layering and saw how well it combines with other scents. I can even amp up the pine on my piney scents to ELEVEN. christmas tree magic all the things! no snow, no dirt, no musk or flowers or candles. no delicious resin wafts. just happy sappy sauce. :heart: