Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Numanoid

Fake Bayberry Candle

Always fun (and hard) to be first!

In the bottle - Pretty sharp to my nose. Heavy bayberry!! Not getting any candle out of this yet.

On skin - Ah, there it is... takes a second, but as it warms up, there is that fake candle!! It is amazing how Beth does it! This is really a fake bayberry candle!!

As it drys down, it stays pretty sharp....bayberry ain't playing games here! :) This is exactly what it is.....Fake Bayberry Candle!! I don't think it will be for me, but wow....very fun to try this and amazed at how true to the name it is!!

This is my first round with single note scents so please bear with me.

In the bottle-I get a strong and sweet bayberry scent with a candle note popping in once in a while (very faint but you know it's there). It's not bad but for me, the sweetness is stronger than my nose can handle and it's fighting between the two. Every once in a while the woodsy bayberry scent will pop though but in the bottle, it's cloyingly sweet (at least for me).

On the skin-it toggles between the sweet and woodsy and the candle eventually shows up. As Numanoid said, it is really a fake Bayberry candle. It reminds me of...well...the fake bayberry candles that I had growing up.

It's not a bad scent at all and I really want to like this one but the sweetness may be a bit much for my body chemistry.

The dry down-is nice but true to the on the skin scent and it anything, a bit more "powdery" in the dry down.

My husband said he liked how it smelled and he's a pretty good judge of scents that work for me so I will give this another shot as I just got this today. Who knows, this may grow on me.

I got a partial decant of this as a frimp, so of course I had to try it.

And it does smell just like a fake bayberry candle. I'm pretty sure my mom had one (or more) that smelled just like this. It is rather potpurri-like, as zankoku_zan said.

Not sure I'd want to smell like this all the time, but I'm glad I got to try it!

Update: So, my partner just walked into the room and (from the other side of the room!!) asked if I had lit a candle. The throw is strong on this one. :laugh:

Edited by magelet

I actually don't know what bayberry is supposed to smell like. I've never seen a bayberry candle or smelled one. This smells like dry, dusty, old, faded spice potpourri with evergreen and a dry woods note. Dusty more than waxy.

Don't know the first thing about bayberry either, but it smells like a dusty antique shop. It's sort of figgy. Not unpleasant at all!