Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Favorite pastime: eating the scrapings from unwashed pots. Waste not, want not?

Salt licorice, birch tar, black pepper, and leather.

PottaskefillIMG_1567.jpg

Lovely label art, and despite this wee lad looking like a cute, mischievous imp, this comes across as a scent for grown ups. It’s like an adult version of Le Père Fouettard without the sweet temptation of fresh gaufrettes.

Surely, it's because this is a lad who takes to dining on lichen and stained cookware. He smells like he just slipped in from the cold outdoors, his leather boots marred with salt lines, and his pockets filled with grimace-inducing black licorice. The birch tar and pepper add character, giving the blend a darkly woody fragrance, slightly smoky with a hint of polished metal.

My wife took a deep inhalation when I tried it on direct from the post, and with confidence she claimed this could slip into the proverbial “Top 3” of the scents she prefers on me! I may have to invest in another bottle before the Yules slip away, as this one already seems backup worthy.

This scent is something I got as a Yule gift for my DH. Interestingly, it's compiled of notes that are DEATH on me- but that I tend to like on him. So I won't apply this to my skin, but will give a preliminary, based on what it smells like just in the bottle. And in the bottle, I can tell this is *very* promising. Usually the leather note immediately dominates, especially wet. But in here, the salt is strongest, with the birch a close tis with the leather. The scent is balanced and yes, kind of masculine. Not that I believe this scent can't be or isn't multi-gender, because I think it is. It *is* strong. I could see someone wearing this on a hike, for instance, when there'd be physical exertion involved.

I could see it smelling really good mixed with the sweat of a hard workout.

So while it's not my personal cup of tea, I very much look forward to smelling it on my beloved. :)

Pottaskefill is like a more masculine, not as super-sweet Le Pere Fouettard, which is exactly what I was hoping for <3. It smells of a good vanilla and sweet black licorice with the smoothest black leather, a hint of cold snow and evergreen (just a hint, like it's clinging to the leather jacket after coming in from the cold), and a hint of a black peppery cologne (like a whiff of Marc Jacob's Bang cologne is thrown in here).

Edited by Little Bird

This is Le Pere Fouettard without the sweetness and a bit of a cold, crispness to it.

Simply put, I adore it! :luv2:

Yoikes! This sounded a bit warmer on paper. Very accurate to the listed notes: leather and tar in the bottle, which adds pepper on application. Then the salt comes in — this is what I thought the pirate scents like the Jolly Roger would smell like. I feel like I'm standing on the deck of an 18th-century ship in the dead of winter.

Not something I'd wear again, but another brilliant technical accomplishment from the Lab.

This smells like frost and cold somehow- lots of black ice with lichen and salt and a little licorice. It's a bit like The Country of Eternal Light.

In the bottle: Smells very, very much like dark, icy seawater.

Wet on my skin: Salty, aquatic, wet black leather with a hint of licorice.

Dry: I smell like a Viking lumberjack in the dead of winter, if the lumberjack was also in charge of hewing those logs into boats and sailing the icy Scandinavian seas with them. This is very dark, very masculine, and I love it. On my skin, it's black leather and black licorice soaked in icy-cold, salty seawater, and just a hint of the birch tar to make it smell just a little woodsy, like pitch-sealed boat or cabin wood. This would be an excellent scent on a man**, but not mine. No, he can't have it. This bottle is MINE. Not sharing.

** Poster is bio female but also kind of genderfluid and likes masculine scents to go with androgynous/masculine looks.

ITI: I was expecting a much darker scent from the description. Instead, the notes combine to give the impression of dewy grass, leather, and a hint of rock salt.
Wet: While it's still incredibly similar in profile to what I had picked up from the imp, on my skin the licorice aspect begins to emerge, making it a tad warmer. However, the birch tar still smells more like dew and grass to my nose or something vaguely aquatic (like Frederick).
Dry: The scent fades considerably, leaving only powdery aquatic tones and a pinch of pepper. This is a strong pass for me.

In bottle: The licorice and tar combination is dominant. These are not scents I would have imagined go together but they do. The leather grounds and supports, the salt and pepper are an understated edge. Wet: The licorice is more distinct and the pepper helps it pop. The tar softens and blends into the leather that is now the second strongest element. Dry: Smells like leather and the sea.

:wub3: :wub3: :wub3:

OBSESSED WITH THIS SCENT.

I love licorice/anise notes and I also love salt licorice, so this scent is everything. It's mainly salt licorice with some leather, and I would say it's gender neutral - it smells like candy but it's not very sweet. The only downside is it tends to fade after a few hours, so it's a 2-3x a dayer.

Edited by UnicornSeeker

I am the girliest femme you could ever imagine -- the kind of girl who never leaves the house without lipstick and eyeliner, and usually wearing a sundress, even in the winter -- but I LOVE the Lab's more masculine oils, and wear them myself. Pottaskefill will definitely join my collection of oils that are a little on the masculine side, but so dang sexy that I will rock them every day anyway.

On me, it's all soft, well-worn leather (without the sharpness that some leather blends like De Sade have - this is more the leather note from Dee) with a slight hint of cold mint or evergreen, and something giving it a tiny bit of sweetness behind the leather and cold.

I adore it! Upgrading to a bottle.

A saltier, softer version of La Pere Fourettard. Salt, licorice, and leather. There's a very clean edge to it from the salt. Decent throw and wearlength.

Pottaskefill is almost perfect.  I love licorice scents, and I am learning that I love the salt note, and salt licorice is to die for.  With soft leather and birch tar?  Mmph.  Chewy, sexy, unisex.  The "almost" is because it went a tad soapy on me at one point.  This happened recently while testing another blend which shouldn't have gone that direction, so it may be a weird skin chemistry thing of the moment.  Anyway, I will be on the lookout for more of this one.

ETA I did buy a bottle and apparently haven’t tried it until now. It is aligned to @mymymai’s review. Dew and grass. Not good on me at all. I double checked against my decant, and they smell very different. I’ll have to rehome this bottle. 

Edited by Lucchesa

Anisette. And there’s the salt. The leather is making an appearance. I want the leather and licorice, but not the salt. The salt is not going away.