Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Favorite pastime: collecting meat hooks, sharpening meat hooks, polishing meat hooks. Sleep with one eye open?

Labdanum, patchouli, dragon’s blood resin, and clove.

I got this one, because I *loved* all the notes - granted, clove tends to overpower on me. But I was hoping it wouldn't, since I like the other portions of the scent more than I do clove.
The liquid is very, very dark....I knew it would be strong. But, sheesh! I wasn't expecting like this! A little dab will certainly do ya' here.

In the bottle, the labdanum and patchouli reign.

Wet on me, the patchouli and clove. Tons and tons of clove. I'm really afraid that clove will play out like it usually does on me....

Settled in, patchouli, dragon blood, and labdanum are working in perfect levels, and the clove is noticeable only when I bring my arm up close to sniff (even then, it's taking a back seat). Exactly what I was praying for!

I'm really sad that these bottles are small. I think I've found my favorite out of the 40 or so bottles that I have. Luckily, the throw is so incredibly strong, that I only need a teeny bit.

This is an aggressive, dark, heavy fragrance. The dragon's blood resin smells darker than what I am used to from bpal, and the labdanum rounds it out with a thick, warm, slightly powdery incense. I'm also getting lots of sharp, spicy clove, but not really any of the patchouli. Ketkrokur is a spicy, incensey, resinous dragon's blood. The labdanum offers enough resinous sweetness to make it wearable for me, but I think that I prefer this one on my husband.

This. Is. Sublime.

Based on the notes, I was probably as optimistic as I've ever been about a scent. I seriously considered a blind buy on this. But I n longer trust my body chemistry enough to do that when there's a decant circle around LOL.

IMP: ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS ... resinous and spicy with the slightly floral note of the dragon's blood lurking in the back.

WET: I went right for the crook of my arm with this one. Oh, hello. Absofuckinglutely spectacular. I have found that labdanum is a real "comfort scent note" on me and combined with the other three notes, this is just a deep, rich, resiny-sweet comfort scent that I could imagine reaching for on a daily basis.

OVERALL: There is no question I will be stocking up on this. The only question is how many bottles I will be able to buy/swap for. It's pretty much perfect.

ETA: I bought TWO bottles of this. I don't remember the last time I bought two bottles of something right out of the gate. It's that good.

Edited by JazzieCazzie

Woah, yes, this is dark and deep. I'm getting loads of clove and labdanum in Ketkrókur, with dragon's blood and patch not far behind. On the drydown, this is mostly dragon's blood and clove on me. Resin-strong and concentrated. I like this on my skin, but think it might be even better on my husband.

ITI: Well, hello clove. The first note from the imp forcibly assaults my nose. It burns and seethes with the dragon's blood resin and labdanum, under which the patchouli slowly bubbles in below.
Wet: Gorgeous! The dragon's blood resin is still strong, but the clove has mellowed out enough to allow the patchouli to blood, creating a spicy, resinous, light sweet dream for anyone who loves Woody Orientals.
Dry: After 6 hours, the scent is sweet, resinous, slightly smoky, and just perfection. The resins meld beautifully with soft, slightly powdery labdanum, the the patchouli and clove and a lovely depth to it. On my bottle list you go.

Edited by mymymai

"Blood" is one of my favorite scents since it has my favorite balance of notes: resinous, sweet, dark, a little spicy. This is very similar, except far less cherry. It's more like dried blood. The labdanum is keeping the dragon's blood in check on the drydown, though I don't suggest this if you absolutely hate dragon's blood.

It's so dark and resinous and just a touch spicy. Lovely.

Dragon's blood, blood, patchouli and a touch of clove. Dark, resinous, and masculine. Decent throw and wear length.

Actually, this smells like it could belong in the Crimson Peak line - dark, ominous, blood scented.

dragon's blood first

then very incense-heavy and some clove

overall, much more dark and heavy that I was expecting.

Thick, dark, sweet, and resinous. In short - delicious.

There's a lot of dragon's blood coming through, and I think that, mixed with the patch is what reminds me of A Witch Riding a Dragon. I'm not great at picking out labdanum, but I think maybe it's adding to the thick sweetness? The clove is definitely present. It plays nicely with the other notes, adding a spicey and metallic tang but not overwhelming. It gives a vague impression of iron, whether that of a cauldron or that of blood is left to the imagination. Still, there's something cozy about this fragrance and less in your face than some of BPAL's other blood scents. (Deluge, I'm looking at you.) I think I'm hooked. ;)

ETA - I am wearing coffee scented/flavored lip balm with this and keep getting wafts of the two together. Kind of a delectable combo. Wish I had some Coffee SN to experiment with. :P

Edited by VetchVesper

Warm, spicy, but not overpowering. That’s a nice Dragon’s blood mix. The patchouli is not bad in it, either.

Ketkrokur - This does not strike me as a patchouli blend. I think the labdanum is stifling it. I get sweet, resinous labdanum  and then the faintest presence of dragon’s blood and clove. Honestly I wouldn’t pick out the clove if I didn’t read the notes. I enjoy dragon’s blood and its powdery sweetness, and it blends nicely with the labdanum here. It’s not one for the bottle wishlist (where ARE you, patchouli?) but nice to have a decant.