Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Gáttaþefur

Favorite pastime: sniffing doorways. Everyone needs a hobby!

Baked bread, apricot, mandarin amber, and CO2 of butter.

In The Bottle: Mandarin orange and a little bit of apricot Pez.

Wet On Skin: Okay. The "Pez" aspect is gone. It's just a bowl of mandarins and apricots now. Nice fresh ones :D

Dry Down: Ah! *there's* the bread note! It's subtle, but there. I think I might be detecting a trickle- just a tiny trickle- of the butter, but it's very slight. I'm used to the abundance of it, such as in Mitzvah or Shill.

In All: Medium throw- start with just a bit, it goes a longer way than one might expect. It's still primarily a fruit scent- foodies take note!- and then the bread note secondary. It's warm and also bright, a good scent for a frigid, sunny day, when a trip outside is to be avoided, but oh!- it looks so pretty out there, everything sparkling and radiant. A good winter scent!

This does remind me of Pez candy, as VioletChaos pointed out. It's also very fizzy and sugary on my skin... so like orange pez candy and orange flavored fanta soda.
I was hoping for buttered bread and a soft orange marmalade and apricot jam type of scent, but I'm not getting butter or bread at all, and the fruitiness is candy-sweet, heavy, artificial/chemical-y, and strangely fizzy.
I'm really disappointed in this scent :(

I get the Pez candy quality that others have mentioned, but ONLY when sniffing directly from the bottle. Once this oil is on my skin, it's pure orange marmalade on a buttered biscuit. It's fruity without being Jolly Rancher fruity; bready without being a straight-up loaf of bread. It's foody, light, close to the skin, a big waft of baked goods with a generous hint of something orange. I like it :)

This smells like one of the lab's snow notes to me, like the one that is in Ondurdis or Almond Blossom. Fruity snow. No bread, no butter, no specific fruits. This is not at all what I expected.

I am all about apricot. So anything with apricot, unless the other notes are all horrid on me, chances are I have to have it. I was worried about the mandarin though, mandarin goes terribly powdery sometimes.

Wet: Like a creamsicle for one glorious instant. Then the butter comes out, and that's yummy too. Nose to skin, it's creamy and buttery and foodie. If I lower my arm, the throw is powdery orange. Shit. Lol. Is that where people are getting the Pez from, I wonder? Nose to skin again - yum. Hmmm.

Dry: I'm a sad panda right now. You would get that joke if you could see me. My step-mom bought me this absurd Panda onesie for Christmas, and I'm sitting here in it like a fool (a comfy fool) testing mah BPALz. A sad sad panda. I digress. I'm 30, btw, and wearing a Panda onesie. ANYWAY: The orange has overpowered the apricot and gone completely to powder on my skin. Smells like powdered orange cleaner. If I stuff my nose right against my arm, I get hints of yummy butter with it, but butter and orange cleaner is still not a good thing on me. I just broke my winning blind bottle streak, I'm going to have to swap this one.

On wet, it's bread, buttered with marmalade. I definitely get the slightly-fake orange scent people are mentioning. I'd like more bread to this, but the fruit notes are really the most prominent here, and I don't love this orange note.

I don't dislike this scent, but as it dries it definitely loses some of the warm baked bread aspect that it had wet. It also has fairly low throw -- when I huff my skin, I get more of a delicious baked goods vibe, but the air throw is mostly the orange note that I'm less enamored with. I like this, but I wish it would stay the way it is close to skin/wet.

I absolutely do not get Pez, of any flavor. It smells kind of pastry-ish, the fruit is nice and rich. It’s a comforting, bakery-type smell. I think I get a hint of the amber, but just a hint. Decent throw for the first hour or so, then my skin mostly ate it. Still, if I sniff right on my wrist I get that warm fruity baked good smell. I’m very glad I bought a bottle of this, and may consider a backup.

Holy cricket this is awesome. In a blind sniff of my new decants, I knew that "this one must be the bread." It was that on the nose. (Ha, pun!) There is also a buttery, fruity note which lends a warm and sweet edge. I don't get any Pez, or any identifiable orange, really, but there is something like a (non-cherry) almond in there. This is really comforting!

eta: There is another BPAL scent a lot like this one but I can't put my finger on it...

Edited by Leopard403

I don't get candy in this at all. Wet, it was doughy and sweet like jam. I didn't get apricots or peaches or anything, just something like generic jam smell if that means anything? It faded away to pure oatmeal as it dried and there it stayed. Oatmeal.

In the decant: Buttery apricot with some mandarin in the background. This reminds more of a buttery, fruity hard candy.

Wet: Apricot, followed by the buttery note, and then the mandarin. It's a little more bread-like than candy-like after sitting on my skin for a bit, and it becomes more like that over time.

Dry: The candy-like butter note just reminds me of hard toffee candies, and it's making me hungry. It's the dominant note on me during the dry phase. I'm getting some of the mandarin amber in the background, as well as some apricot, and the baked bread note. But mostly... it's buttery hard candy on me.

Verdict: This isn't bad, but I don't think it's something I want to smell like, either.

This is my favourite scent of the entire Yule 2015 update, and I'll definitely be getting a bottle. It has a delicious apricotty, almost marmaladey vibe, and is one of the most wonderfully *comforting* gourmand scents I've ever had the pleasure to sniff. It has a very respectable throw, too, and lasted all day on my skin. I just adore it.

This smells so good to me. It smells jammy and fresh with warm buttery bread under it all. The fruit is really bright at first but after awhile all the notes blend together really well. It last 3-4 hours, and isn't an overwhelming scent.

Whoa WHAT am I amping in this that makes it so awesome?! This scent is The Shit for gourmand citrus and apricot lovers. I would dare say fans of the extinguished March Hare should test this.

Yup. I smelled baked bread. Yes, butter too. I wanna stay home and eat buttered toast with apricot jam allll dayyyy... No welding. Just eating, thanks.

Its the same bread/butter notes from Bread and Butterfly but with better company. Its warm and glowy (thanks mandarin amber) and tasty.

In the bottle: This smells very food-y. I am getting the baked bread and the butter.

Wet: Baked bread and lots of butter and a hint of apricot.

Dry: This does not do any morphing on me. So its that same baked bread and butter with some apricot. Its an ok scent and it is super food-y. But not really how I would like to smell. Would be a great room scent though.

ITI: Thick pastries, laden with brown sugar, candied raisins and apricot come to mind. It reminds me of a buttery fruit cake.
Wet: There’s a bit more mandarin amber on my skin, but it still reminds me of a buttery pastry with candied fruits.
Dry: Okay, I like this better once dried. The apricot and mandarin are sweetened, as if by a light dusting of brown sugar that has started to caramelize on a rich, flaky pastry. I’m almost tempted to get more, but I don’t know how often I’d want to smell like such a yummy pastry.

Smells like an apricot turnover - buttery, flaky pastry filled with apricot jam. I LOVE IT. I just ordered two bottles of it, because I never want to run out. I think this is my favorite Yule Lad, and possibly my favorite apricot perfume ever. I even like it better than Aristocratic Couple.

In the imp, this smells like oatmeal cookies to me for some reason. I had to check the notes to make sure there was nothing about oatmeal.

While wet, it still smells very cookie-like to me, but the apricot starts to come out more.

On the dry down, I finally catch whiffs of the bread and butter. Overall, smells like a yummy apricot pastry fresh from the bakery.

Not much throw, but I couldn't stop smelling my wrist all day. I already went ahead and ordered a full bottle.

In the bottle, this has a sparkling/fizzy quality to it. I couldn't remember the notes, and I wondered if it was champagne? But I realize now that it is the mandarin.

On my skin, I get pretty much all of the notes: orange, amber, apricot, bread, and butter. There's something discordant about it though, like that sharp fizzy note doesn't go with the bakery sweetness. It's mostly when I sniff closely, not when I get whiffs from further away. The whiffs I get from further away are of an orange/apricot scone, which is really nice.

After a couple hours, that sharp note goes away and the whole thing really does remind me of an apricot scone with orange marmalade! Pretty delicious.

Wet, the first notes to hit are definitely citrusy mandarin and sharp amber. I was a bit worried, because amber is not a note that usually works well for me, but luckily that seems to fade pretty fast and it turns into a citrusy baked good smell. I was really hoping for a good bread scent, which I don't think I've encountered yet in the BPAL catalogue, but this one is definitely more cake-like than bread-like.

This is an interesting one in that I don't really like the way it smells in the imp at all, but I love it on my skin after 10 or so minutes.

So festive, so home-for-the-holidays cozy. I want it as an atmosphere spray. Cheery mandarin with sweet, buttered, yeasty rolls. More rolls than toast, I think. Then the apricot note slowly replaces the mandarin. It's like a bakery selling rolls and flaky apricot pastries. So great, just a lovely, comforting, happy blend. No fizziness, no Pez.

Lovely juicy apricot, oh how I haven't had that for years. This is so happy and sweet. I must admit I'm not getting much bread out of this, more a tarty type of tasty scent, but could be sugarbread. This is spending time in a cottage warmed by a big fire in a hearth, covered and comforted by blankets and pillows. I think there's a hint of the mandarin amber on me but it's faint. Not artificial on me. Lovely!

I am so, so happy to have gotten this as a PIF from the wonderful Little Bird. I'd overlooked the scent because of the CO2 of butter in the description. A lot of times when I've encountered butter and bakery scents, there's been something sickly-sweet, overbearing, even rancid. Not here! It just warms up the scent a little. The mandarin and apricot notes are so sunny and happy. It's a yummy, fun scent, not too complicated but a bit unusual, with a little bit of amber that's bubbly but a little bit grounded, too. I will treasure my bottle, especially as a winter pick-me-up.