Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Atrous

Bjúgnakrækir

Favorite pastime: hiding in the rafters, ogling your smoked sausage. Eyes up here, mister!

Sweaty pear and honey with leather, coconut meat, tonka bean, and castoreum accord.

I went out of my comfort zone to try this. I’ve heard some negativity concerning castoreum but hadn’t tried it myself. But, having good luck with animalic notes I decided to give this a go.
This is a really odd scent. I love it but it is odd. I’m gonna do my best to describe it.

Okay, first, this one’s a morpher.

WET: Starts out as VERY sweet, juicy pear. Underneath this is something bitter and unpleasant. For me, leather sometimes starts out bitter but maybe it’s the castoreum? Anyway, soon the bitterness dissipates.

DRYDOWN: Coconut and a touch of Tonka come out and help to tamp down the sweetness. Way down at the base the leather is making itself known. Again, since this is my first time trying castoreum I can only guess that this is what is combining with leather. The leather smells animalistic and skanky. Also, there’s the faintest wisp of smokiness rising up.

This scent still stays pretty sweet all the way through and the pear stays prominent.

I asked my Mom to take a whiff and describe it. She said sweet, fruity, dirty, leathery, musky.
I really dig this. Glad I took the chance but it’s definitely not for everyone.

This one is odd. But I....love it?

It's very fruity and sweet. And then the coconut comes into play and that makes it somewhat beachy.

It's not something I think is "Yule" like. It's more a summer scent to me. But it's gorgeous. And different.

• ITI: A blast of honey at the forefront is quickly met by coconut and pear, which softens the honey considerably. It smells like the tropical-flavored Coconut waters that natural food stores sell.

Wet: Runts candies and pear. What an odd combination.

Dry: As it settles, the coconut meat and pear seem to overtake some of the honey, but there is still the impression of runts that makes this scent a bit too foody for my taste.

In the decant it smelled like suntan lotion to me. Coconut and pear.

When it hit my skin it smelled like....pear booze? I don't get any honey or leather in this. It's odd. I like it, but I wouldn't want a whole bottle of it. I'm not sure what's in it that is making it smell boozy to me but it smells sort of like a pear went on a vacation somewhere warm for the holidays and got drunk. Very fruity/boozy on me.

I am a coconut slut, so I will pretty much give anything with coconut a go. I've also been looking for a pear scent I can wear, so I thought I would get a decant of this and give it a shot, despite "sweaty" being one of the descriptors.... mmm, sweaty pear!

Wet: Candy sweet coconut and pear. Very much in high-end suntan lotion territory right now, but I am ok with that. Coconut and pear is actually a fascinating combo. Not getting any leather. The honey is amping the sweetness, but isn't detectable on it's own. Can't detect the Tonka, and don't actually know what castoreum is, but not smelling anything unfamiliar. Just super sweet (and getting sweeter) pear and coconut. The coconut is starting to edge out the pear. The suntan lotion vibe is dying down. It's now getting less rather than more sweet. Interested to see how this dries! If the coconut keeps coming forward I pay need more of this.

Dry: This has really faded, it's very faint now. But before it disappeared, it dried down to mostly gorgeous warm coconut - I was pretty happy about the whole thing. May do a whole day test to see if it'll stick around long enough to be worth getting a bottle. It's rare for me to find something that is as strongly coconut (rather than other notes) on me.

Bpal's pear note is usually too sweet and candy-like for me (perhaps the only pear I really love is in Slumberhouse's Pear & Olive blend), but I was hoping that the leather and castoreum would make it dirtier and darker smelling. I can't pick out any leather or castoreum (which usually smells leathery to me itself) here, though.
I get lots of realistic honey, super-sweet and slightly powdery smelling pear candy, and a sweet, suntan lotiony coconut. The combination winds up being way too sweet on my skin.

This is like the grown up naughty version of Pleasant Embrace from the 2015 Lupers.. so if you liked that, or missed out on it, give this one a try!

How could I not try something with the descriptor "sweaty"?! :lol: I pretty much universally avoid the lab's honey note, but I went for this anyway cause of that "sweaty"

The notes here are very well blended. I never do really pick out obvious honey, leather, castoreum or coconut. What I get is definitely sweaty pear-- a heavy juicy pear with a deep animalistic base. My skin really brings our base notes and animalic notes, so that might explain why I dont get the suntanny coconutty vibe others are getting.

Yea, so.. I needed to know what a sweaty pear was and that drove me to a decant.

Basically, this is fruity coconut suntan lotion on me. The leather, beaver sacs (castoreum), and tonka are suppressed by my skin's ability to amp that tropical bastard enough you'd swear I was holding a neon "COCONUT!" sign. Jealousy will drive me to watch further reviews.

Bottle: I was so convinced that this would be my favorite of the Yules straight out of the imp. Gorgeous, mouthwatering spicy pear, with hints of coconut and vanilla. A perfect scent for cozy winter nights.

Wet: The spice deepens, and the pear turns sweet and juicy, backed up by supple leather. I'm definitely feeling the "sweatiness", but in an almost decadent, sultry way. Also getting fleshy coconut. It's definitely not a traditional foodie scent but I'm visualizing digging into a sort of rum-soaked caramelized baked pear and getting the juices all over my hands.

Dry: Damn. Damn damn damn. Sexy pear lasts for maybe five minutes, and then it does a 180 into sunscreen territory. Coconut completely drowns out the pear/spices/honey/leather, and it's that cloying perfumey kind now. That lasts for a few more minutes before it goes full-on bugspray :frustrated:

... and theeeeere's the headache. I scrubbed it off but can still smell it hours later. It got some of the coconut back but the spray don't go away.

Verdict: I think that's the most NOPE reaction I've had to one of the Lab's oils yet, and after such a promising start, too :( I'll still be keeping my decant just for huffing purposes, but I'm seriously heartbroken because I want to smell like the first five minutes of that rollercoaster ride all winter long. Thank God I didn't throw in a bottle with my latest order before doing a skin test. Maybe I'll get a scent locket or something because I love it so much ITI, just does something crazy with my chemistry.

Still, though.... dang :sad:

Edited by Pyretta

In bottle: Pear and tonka dominant, beautifully supported by the coconut. The honey smooths the edges. the musk and leather accords are understated, but add a sexy edge to it. This is lovely.

Wet: Very like in the bottle, with the Pear/tonka/coconut grouping dominant. The honey particularly, out also leather and musk are more distinct. I love this. Dry: Mostly Leather, musk, and a touch of coconut and honey.

In the bottle: I recoiled! Strong, syrupy cough medicine. Always skin test, my pretties! Always skin test.

Wet on skin: this is eyes rolling back in the head good. Bright pear and a hint of coconut. Just pure joy.

Drydown: check out the throw on this lad! I first tried it this morning, an hour before leaving for work, by using a headless Q-tip to put one dot on my inner left elbow. I was testing other scents in the same manner on my wrists, but by the time I got to work I smelled this one wafting around me. Good thing I love it! In fact, I tossed it in my purse before leaving this morning and reapplied an hour ago.

There is a darker, deep richness to the pear, probably coming from the other notes, but the pear is definitely the star of the show. It's gorgeous and fun, just the thing for a long workday.

Coconut, musk, leather, and sweat. Maybe a touch of pear. Overall, this smells like coconut BO on me. This does not work at all. Of course this has excellent throw and wear length.

UGH.

Think of it as a goth that wears leather pants while playing beach volleyball, covered in suntan lotion. Yeah, not good for me.

This is definitely a strange mix. Strong coconut, the suntan lotion variety. Bright, juicy pear -- just like pear Jelly Belly jelly beans, actually. Just a hint of soft, sweet leather in the background. I actually like this one a lot more than I thought I would.

This is different than anything else I have, I think, and I love it. Why did it take me so long to get around to wearing it???

This is sweet and fruity, almost like candy or overripe fruit, but it has a very grounded base to it. The pear is overwhelming at first, but I can definitely smell coconut underneath, and the leather and tonka are coming out the more it warms up.

Coconut comes up first, fresh sliced. Then the leather. It’s kind of a sweet, soapy leather, but in a good way.

The description “sweaty pear” made me lol but it’s kinda accurate! This is like a warm baked pear drizzled in honey. There’s a slightly sour note, too. IS IT sweat? Who can say? And I’m so glad I googled castoreum to find out it’s beaver pheromones. Maybe that’s the sourness! I’m not getting ANY leather or tonka. Maybe a tiny shred of coconut. It’s a very foodie blend. An elven treat. I think it’s going in the swap pile.