Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
VioletChaos

Askasleikir

Favorite pastime: skulking under dining tables, waiting to abscond with unsupervised food bowls. Don’t blame the dog!

Dregs of cinnamon and cocoa.

In The Bottle: Oh, YES. Right off the bat, this is Mexican Hot Chocolate.

Wet On Skin: The hits just keep on coming. There are two basic types Lab chocolate notes- the yummy cocoa-y ones, and the ones that turn to weird, waxy plastic on my skin. The ones that work on me are found in scents like Bliss, Boomslang and Gelt. The ones that don't work are the ones found in the Box O Chocolates and most '13' scents. This scent, fortunately, has the former. And it's *glorious*.

Dry Down: This is a nice, "grownup" cocoa scent. Less foodie and, believe it or not, I would call this scent kinda sexy. The chocolate becomes this dusty, understated warm note and the cinnamon gives just a tiny amount of spice- this is NOT an overpowering spice scent, so those fearful, give it a try.

In All: Not just bottle worthy, possibly hoard worthy. I predict this will be quite popular.

A rich cocoa with cinnamon in the bottle. Goes on as that thick, rich, adult cocoa. This soon fades to cinnamon, and then...

wait, what the hell, where did it go?!

I had to re-slather on both wrists. My skin ate this faster than Embalming Fluid or Plunder. Seriously, five minutes. Two hours later there's a wee bit of that lovely cinnamon left. I'll try it in a locket.

To compare to El Dia de los Reyes, there's less sugar and no coffee, and more cinnamon. Still delicious for the five minutes it lasted.

ETA yes, this fellow does much better in a scent locket.

Edited by Soupy Twist

So, I often cannot wear chocolate perfumes even though I love the idea in theory. I was nervous about this, but I'm glad I gave it a try! This wears well on me. The chocolate stays chocolate, without going weirdly plastic, though it is a drier, more cocoa-like smell than a richer kind. I'm okay with that though, it makes it feel more wearable and versatile. The cinnamon is very subtle, just warming things up a little, and the dry down is lovely - close to the skin, with a warm feel that smells a bit like it has amber in it on me. Very nice.

This is cinnamon and chocolate, without being particularly foody or spicy. Instead, it is very soft and dry. The cocoa reads as cocoa powder, like a dusting of dry dark chocolate, while the cinnamon adds bark-y, subtly-spiced depth to the cocoa. But it's also so much more. It's powdery in a way that reminds me of some dusty amber scents. It's cocoa and cinnamon, elevated.

Unfortunately, my skin eats it and it completely disappears. Don't let that deter you from trying it, though; my mom bought a bottle as well and ten hours later she still smelled like this amazing dusting of cocoa and cinnamon scent.

Overall, this is soft and pretty, a lovely perfume for those who want to enjoy cocoa and cinnamon without smelling like food.

IN THE IMP: Oddly, I am getting something hazelnutty or possibly caramelish to my nose rather than cocoa OR cinnamon.

WET: The cocoa comes right at me from the crook of my arm before I even bend to huff. It's still nutty but MUCH nicer once I apply it ... not straight out cocoa but like a flavored cocoa. However, I am getting zero cinnamon from it.

DRY: It recedes pretty quickly to just a very light faint glaze of a lovely sweet scent. The nutty part is gone, the cinnamon never rises, and the chocolate sits quietly.

OVERALL: This is a really nice scent and I think it would be a popular gift and keeper for people who want to wear something that is yummy, simple and won't bother friends/coworkers etc. who get all huffy about scents. It's VERY subtle. But for me, probably a little too subtle, plus as a huge lover of BPAL chocolate/cocoa blends, I have a wealth of them in my keeper box already so this imp can go to someone new who wants to try it or hoard many imps of it!

In the bottle: Spiced cocoa. Yum!

Wet: Its a nice cup of cocoa with a touch of cinnamon.

Dry: This is simply hot cocoa with cinnamon. Not quite Mexican cocoa.

Overall though, I like​. Though I am a sucker for hot cocoa. :)

In the decant: Dry cocoa (I think the same one used in Gelt) and cinnamon.

Wet: The cinnamon note is a lot more prominent on my skin than it was in the decant, but it doesn't burn. The cocoa note isn't far behind it. This isn't a sweet cinnamon note. As the scent sits on my skin, the cocoa note becomes creamier.

Dry: There is more of a balance between the cinnamon and cocoa notes now, and the scent is creamier and softer.

Verdict: I thought this might end up being too similar to El Dia de los Reyes, but it isn't. It's not nearly as sweet, and of course, it doesn't have the coffee note. I like it, so I'll be holding onto my decant, but since I have too many chocolate scents, I'm going to pass on getting a bottle of this one.

This one is too much cinnamon for me, and the chocolate has a dry, baby powdery undertone to it. Lasted about three hours on me and was mostly spice.

I just got this, and bizarrely, it smells exactly like Charlie as smelled by me in the very early 1980s. Charlie is not a chocolate scent at all. I'm not sure what happened here. Maybe it's because the bottles are still cold? I got El Dia De Los Reyes at the same time, and that one is obviously chocolate, but this one...nope. Charlie.

Edited to add: Okay, it's less Charlie and more chocolate now. Hahahaha I don't know what that was about. Maybe my schnoz was off.

Edited by ivyblossom

Finally I see why people love the Lab's chocolate perfumes. I've tried several -- Bliss, Gelt, various 13s -- and they've all left me cold, but this one I love. Warm and spicy and sexy. It's not overly foody, so I don't feel as though I'm a walking chocolate cupcake. More like I'm sipping a mug of hot cocoa in front of a fire, while someone bakes cinnamon ornaments back in the kitchen. This is truly lovely. I may have to upgrade to a bottle before the Yules come down.

ITI: Yum, warm dark cocoa and cinnamon. It's like a delicious hot chocolate.
Wet: The cinnamon on spicier on my soon, but it's still absolutely delicious.
Dry: The cocoa becomes less intense and slightly floral. The cinnamon really neediness soft and comforting. This is surprisingly gentle but still delicious once dried.

This is a sexy adult cinnamon and chocolate. It's dark and sexy but maybe not sweet enough for me. I like super sweet foodie scents and this was darker and mysterious. Cute label but ended up swapping it.

In the bottle it’s all chocolatey. It hit my skin and I smelled cocoa, and something… not cinnamon, but something with an edge. I wasn’t impressed. A couple hours later, I thought it had all but disappeared when my kid got in the car and said “oooh you smell good. Like a pie or something” I still don’t understand where she gets pie, but it did morph like crazy. I don’t get chocolate or cinnamon, and I can’t seem to identify exactly what it is I’m smelling, but it’s good. Rich, warm, a tiny bit “perfumey”, but in kind of a sexy way. I was going to put the bottle on my sales list, but I think I need to try it at least one more time first.

Huh, interesting, I like this one! So, to start with-- this is the only "cocoa" or "chocolate" perfume blend (ever) that I have been able to wear without it going to burnt plastic on my skin! :woohoo: That said, I don't know that I would even call it in-you-face "chocolate". It's definitely dusty, dry, grownup, and a little sexy :yum: .

In the bottle, first impression: Uh-oh... nervous at the moment; I detect that general "food" tone (kind of butteryness?) that most foody blends have that that does not play well with me. But it has a dark, spicy, almost smoky quality beneath that, so we'll keep an open mind :).

On the skin, after ten minutes or so: All hints of any possible "foodiness" are gone, thankfully!! That said it... feels like.. florals have shown up?! This is most unusual, I don't think there was supposed to be anything floral in this blend, and yet I'm getting some undertone of white florals. hmm. It's actually really well blended, and the cocoa doesn't even smell like anything akin to "single note chocolate", I have to try to pick it out. That said, I don't detect much cinnamon at all either, so that's too bad :( . I was hoping it would be a little heavier in the spices. It actually smells like a really refined, classic perfume to me (that mysterious 'floral' note, I'm sure). I think a married Victorian lady would wear this lol. But it isn't offputting.

After an hour: WOAH!!!! This is one of the nicest drydowns of any BPAL blend thus far! :love!: . Anything related to that odd floral tone has completely vanished, and neither cinnamon nor cocoa beat the other out-- it's very well blended and neither obviously spices, or chocolate, upon sniffing. It has actually turned into a smoky, dry, dusty, resinous, cocoa incense. It's also quite light, oddly enough. That's the dusty quality I suppose.

The SO's input: "It does smell very nice" . ;) Which is, in fact, a high compliment for him lol.

Another delicious foody Yule Lad scent! Askasleikir really smells like a slightly powdery, slightly spiced hot cocoa. The cinnamon is really gentle here. There's an undernote that's a bit 'perfumey', almost like amber, that I don't mind at all. On the drydown, this smells like a mix of Gelt and Muddy Puddles.

Yummmm. Warm melted chocolate with just a hint of cinnamon. Not as spicy as Dia de los Reyes, and the chocolate note is more intense and concentrated... this is the dregs, for real! The chocolate is so rich, and not overly sweet. There's also a bit of a ricemilk/horchata thing going on. Love it.

Hmmm... on application it's basically just a thick liquid cocoa.

Not a huge fan of how the cinnamon comes in at first.. it's nearly orange instead of cinnamon. And that happens to be a combination that I hate. However, about 7 minutes in it fades again, this time to a softer cinnamon and a watery cocoa. Unfortunately that happens a lot with cocoa on my skin, bah! This has a lot of potential and I see why these are so popular!

I bought this scent a year after it was available from the lab, so it has had some time to age. It is a dry cocoa on me with sadly no cinnamon that I can detect. I like cinnamon, I would have loved it to be there. There is more in this scent, something that went men's cologne on me when I tried the scent too soon after it traveled from the UK to the Netherlands. After a 3 weeks rest it has settled and no longer jumps at me, but it definitely does 'something' to the cocoa, lightens it a bit I think.

I LOVE dry cocoa scents. This is a rich dark cocoa and light dusting of sweet cinnamon with bit of a creaminess underneath.

Askasleikir is a milky cocoa with a memory of cinnamon. Comforting, yet I have other chocolates that I enjoy more.

Glad I finally tried my decant! 

Testing blind, I got fudgey chocolate at first, which quickly resolved into hot cocoa with cinnamon.  My nose has never been so accurate!  This is really lovely for fans of chocolate scents, but it doesn't have the emotional resonance Dia de los Reyes has for me, and I have a backup of that, so I will pass this decant on.  

GRRRRR i need a full bottle of this :cry2:It’s such a lovely sexy cocoa scent. I could smell like this forever and die happy. Its like Bliss but has a different heart note. Like Bliss’s older sister.