Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Chocolate marshmallow - yes.
Pie crust - yes.
Yum - yes.

Overwhelmingly sticky sweet - no.

While this is delicious chocolate marshmallow pie, right down to the crust, this is FANCY pie. This is bittersweet chocolate, the kind that almost has a hint of espresso, or maybe this pie was made with Kaluha? I am definitely getting a hint of coffee. The marshmallow fades as it dries down, while the chocolate becomes richer and denser.

This isn't as purely sweet and foody as the Key Lime Pie (the other bottle I received at the same time) - I think the bitter notes of the chocolate keep it from being purely foody.

As it dries down, it turns more into a bittersweet flourless chocolate torte than a pie. Delicious!

ETA: It's this: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/flourless-chocolate-cake-recipe
With marshmallow glaze instead of chocolate ganache. I think I will have to make this, just to try. :D

I have this in bath oil (but I do like the idea of posting in the overall scent topics instead of specific products so we can all share our thoughts on the scents!) ...

This is one of the most complicated scents for me to try to describe.

I try to start by thinking: If I didn't know the name of this, what would my impression be? And I have no idea. Definitely sweet. Sugary. But I don't think I ever would have landed on chocolate, for starters. MAYBE marshmallow if I were trying to narrow down by the pure strong sugary sweetness with a kick, but not chocolate.

But most notably for me--in the bottle, in the bath, and now (my secret weapon to get a grip on notes!) on my nightshirt that I put on right after my bath and has the drydown scent on it today--there was a mystery note that I couldn't quite put my finger on and, of course, there are no real sub-notes listed in the descriptions here.

I waffle between maybe caramel? Or maple syrup? Or something slightly nutty. It's a note I recognize and associate with my grandfather (no, I don't smell like a sweet old Russian man -- my grandfather and his brother founded and owned (for more than 50 years) a company which created "flavors and essences" -- for perfumes, for food and drink, etc. (maybe I got my love of BPAL genetically?) -- and not only were my grandparents' kitchen cupboards always filled with dozens of amber bottles with every kid of syrup and flavor, but his car always smelled like whatever they were working on.

For whatever reason, the chocolate is completely lost on me here and the marshmallow and/or other notes don't really mesh well with my body chemistry.

It's not for me but I bet it will be AWESOME on many/most sweet foodie lovers!

And I'd sure love to know what the background/bottom notes are!!!

In The Bottle: Marshmallows and sweet, light chocolate.

Wet On Skin: More of the same, with the chocolate becoming more even with the marshmallow, instead of having a background role.

Dry Down: My DH got these chocolate-covered marshmallows from Trader Joe's. This scent kind of reminds me of those.

In All: Low throw, less decadent than some other chocolate-heavy scents (like Bliss), so there's more occasions this scent can be worn in. I get no cookie, but the marshmallow has an undertone of granulated sugar.

You know those cheesecakes that have a dark chocolate cookie crust that require one to smash the cookies and then press them into the pan? This smells like that dark crust, if it were mixed with a tablespoon of espresso powder. This is dark chocolate cookie and some kind of fancy vanilla extract and a touch of coffee on me. There's a bit of marshmallow on the drydown, just a dollop of fluff. YUM.

In the bottle: This is mostly melted bittersweet chocolate with a hint of the coffee grounds that others have mentioned. When this arrived, it was pretty much only chocolate, but now the marshmallow note and cookie have come out more, although the chocolate note is still the strongest in the bottle. I hope the marshmallow is a lot stronger on my skin, because it's the reason I bought a blind bottle of this.

Wet: This is more cookie-like on me. The chocolate is still the strongest note, and it's definitely melted. I'm still getting a bit of that coffee ground vibe. The marshmallow note emerges after a bit, adding a nice, fluffy creaminess to the scent.

Dry: The marshmallow note is far more prominent during this stage, making the scent smell like a chocolate chip cookie, fresh from the oven, with a nice dollop of marshmallow.

Verdict: I was actually wary of trying this one, because it smelled so strongly of melted chocolate in the bottle. I'm glad that I got more marshmallow from this on my skin. I think I would have been happy with a decant of this, but I'll hang onto my bottle for now, and I'll consider getting the hair gloss. It depends on what Lupercalia brings.

Edited by dementia_divine

This is my number one favourite out of all of the pies. And of course it is. Marshmallow is one of my all-time favourite perfume notes.

For me, the top note is cookie. I get chocolate chip cookies like woah when I open the bottle.

On my wrist, it becomes all-marshmallow-all-the-time-marshmallow and then the cookie returns, along with the pie crust. The chocolate sings a little louder and then it all balances out into foodie paradise heaven.

I want to swim around in a pool filled with this and then I want to eat slices of this pie until my teeth ache. Perfection.

In the bottle - deep, dark chocolate with a hint of spice or something slightly exotic - like Turkish coffee.

Wet on skin - Chocolately goodness surrounded by sweet creamy marshmallow and a splash of espresso. It's funny, I put this on and my hubby asked me what smelled like a coffee shop ... I confessed its me! Lol.

Dry down - less coffee and more sweet chocolate ... like a semi sweet ganache covering a chocolate chip cookie. It's just a lovely sweet and decadent (but not cloying) chocolate scent. Love it!

Dark chocolate chip cookies with marshmallows.

This had the best staying power of the pies I tested, and changed the least from wet to long drydown. The chocolate is definitely prominent, and I do get a darker chocolate, but it's still sweet and part of the general baked-goods-ness of the scent. It's chocolate chip cookies, but really really good ones.

I love a good marshmallow note and I don't find it to be the stand out note here, but that's fine. It adds some more creamy sweetness, and reminds me more of marshmallow goo -- it lacks that sort of powdery aspect some marshmallow scents have.

Really delicious and one of my favorite pies!

Chocolate chip cookies, vanilla marshmallows. The vanilla, sadly, is the type that tends to smell kinda fake and plasticky on me. So BAH.

Because if not, I would smell like the most amazing chocolate chip cookies ever.

(I'm not into food scents at all, so I skipped this entirely and haven't read the description. Generously frimped this with a forum purchase ☺)

In the imp: super sweet cookies

Wet: Bourbon vanilla. Once that's burnt off, there's a synthetic, foody but almost purfumey note that I can't quite place. I keep getting wafts of marshmallow, but they're faint.

Dry: Definitely cookies, the syntheticy part has settled to what I think is chocolate? There's definitely something alcoholic to this pie though.

Perfume oil version.

In the bottle: rich, fudgy, almost boozy dark chocolate

On my skin: This is one of those oils that's so chocolatey I'm expecting it to be brown, but it's clear. My mom makes a peppermint ice cream pie for Christmas that has a crust of crushed dark chocolate cookies, and this reminds me of that crust. I'm not really getting anything I would describe as a marshmallow note, though (I've experienced it in other scents as a powdered sugar/vanilla type of scent). It's mostly pure chocolate on my skin, and not the rich hot chocolate of Bliss, but more of a dry, dark cocoa powder. This seems like it might be good for layering, though I haven't tried any combinations yet.

Chocolate chip cookies, vanilla marshmallows. The vanilla, sadly, is the type that tends to smell kinda fake and plasticky on me. So BAH.

Because if not, I would smell like the most amazing chocolate chip cookies ever.

^^ This. It's the most DIVINE chocolate cookie smell in bottle, but even there I detect the plastic. On my skin it's a plastic doll mess.

I really wish I could do that vanilla/marshmallow note since this is awesome.

Mmmm... s'mores.

This is VERY sweet though, definitely heavy on the marshmallow. It's pretty cloying, and that's coming from someone who tends to like sweet foody scents. It does smell quite artificial and plasticky.

Chocolate, Marshmallow, and Cookie Dough. That's what I get from this mostly. It's super rich and decadent too! So delicious! It's more of a grown up pie to me. Being that it's so dark and heavy. I don't get much crust. But the cookie dough part is amazing! I wish there was a cookie dough scent available. This has great throw and staying power too. The hubby said I smelled like patchouli!!! Not sure where he got that from but pretty cool too. Sexy foodie patchouli. Patchouli pie! What an amazing pie! :wub2:

huh. usually i can tell if i'm going to like an oil right away as things don't tend to morph too much on me OR i just don't have sophisticated enough of a nose for it.

in the bottle - chocolate. sort of a dusty crusty chocolate like burnt brownies.

on me - woah burnt chocolate for days

HOWEVER and this is where it seemed weird for me, up close it smelled like burn chocolate, but the throw was totally marshmallow sweetness, very soft and very pretty, not overwhelming or cloying at all.

a bunch of hours later and it's just turned into a really soft and pretty scent.

First sniff: Fake chocolate, smells like a Tootsie Roll scented pen I had when I was younger.

Wet on skin: More fake chocolate, almost powdery smelling almost? It’s like someone made a hot chocolate powder that had only ever had chocolate described to them over a long distance phone call.

Drydown: Chocolate soap. Like someone dumped the aforementioned chocolate powder onto a bar of Ivory soap. Not good. I am very picky about my chocolate scents and this one just does not hit the mark.

Final thoughts: I didn’t know this was supposed to be a chocolate pie when I ordered my decant of this, if I had I don’t think I would have tried it. Chocolate works on me rarely, and this is about as far from working on my skin as it gets. Not a fan.

Edited by fullforcegalesburg

This is amazing in the hair gloss (brownies, marshmallows, cookie dough, and melty chocolates) and not so great for me in the perfume oil. The hair gloss has tons of throw and staying power, where the perfume oil only lasts about an hour on my skin, and the perfume oil version has a clean, plasticy quality that ruins it for me, and a kind of powdery drydown.