Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The Sea of Vapors: white sandalwood, smoky oudh, golden amber, bourbon vanilla, and black jasmine.

Gorgeous! I love when Jasmine and Sandalwood mix, it's just a perfect scent combo for me. The Jasmine is strong in this (on me but my skin does amp up Jasmine in a good way) and the Bourbon Vanilla is just so faint it's almost haunting in the backdrop.

Lovely scent that does a great job of showcasing jasmine.

The jasmine is heady, strong, loud. Definitely not a scent for those who shy away from this note.

As this dries, sandalwood comes to the fore and binds itself lovingly to the jasmine.

I can smell both the oudh and amber but they are more in the background adding some intrigue to the blend.

I don't get any bourbon vanilla but that's not a surprise. most vanillas are beautiful on my skin but the bourbon variety just disappears as it does here.

Heady, sexy floral! :P

Mare Vaporum is jasmine writ large but in a script that unravels like smoke. The white sandalwood and smoky oudh have a lot to do with that, as they do an excellent job of loosening the joints of the heady flower. The amber and bourbon vanilla sweeten and stabilize. After a bit, this smells like the remnants of jasmine incense, surprisingly subdued and ghostly. I think it's beautiful, but I love jasmine so this is right up my alley.

My only concern with this was that it was going to be very heavy. But it was, well, vaporous. The jasmine and oudh are deep, yet as a whole this is almost light. The amber, sandalwood, and vanilla meld in beautifully and are probably what lends this blend its opalescence. The jasmine is something interesting to note, it seems different than the jasmine in say, Siren. It's rounder, and a little shadowy. But it's still jasmine, and thus not quite tame.

I agree very strongly with the three previous reviewers (especially LiberAmoris) that have noted that this is a softer jasmine scent. THIS is the jasmine scent I've been looking for. After trying a variety of the lab's other GC scents with jasmine, I had given up on finding one that I liked. I had written it off as a note I liked in theory rather than practice - it inevitably always ended up overpowering the other notes, and being a bit too overwhelming (Mata Hari, I'm looking at you).

While this is unquestionably a jasmine scent (it's definitely the main note), this is the softer, friendlier jasmine that I've been dreaming of. The scent stays rather close to the skin and doesn't have much throw. It fades a bit after staying on, but the light jasmine scent lingers for a while. The sandalwood and amber gives it a warmth and takes away some of the overwhelming floral punch to the nose I get with other strong jasmine scents. My friend mentioned that it smelled "smoky" to her (without reading the notes), but I don't actually smell smoke or smoke notes (which I quite enjoy in other scents like Sarah), so YMMV on that.

All in all, I'm glad I went for this lunacy and gave jasmine one last chance.

Edited by hiddentwilight

Right off, jasmine jasmine jasmine, and it is STRONG. I got an imp of this one because of the sandalwood/bourbon vanilla., but it is being drowned out by the last listed note, (which I foolishly thought meant the least amount of note or presence of scent). Not for me.

oof, very jasminey at first. my skin is wary of jasmine, but let's see where this goes. i get some sandalwood and amber after a minute or two but the jasmine is still strongest. i get something mildly rubbery after a little bit, and then some vanilla. the jasmine is pretty much overpowering everything on my skin, as it often does. i think it's mostly amber and jasmine, that turns to rubbery jasmine candy?! no thanks, will have to swap this one.

Jasmine, amber, and smooth sandalwood. This one is more jasminey than I expected. It's a pretty, dark, sophisticated jasmine perfume.

Sadly all jasmine smells like cat pee to mr. zee_zee.

Amber and jasmine are very heavy in this blend. I was hoping for some more of the sandalwood to come out, but sadly not for my floral amping skin. I would say that if you are a jasmine fan then this blend is for you.

This. This is an amazing opus of a jasmine scent. Like the sexiest smoky dark jasmine I've ever smelled. Think Tunisian Jasmine with less synthetic musk.

I rarely like the lab's jasmine and their ambers and white sandalwood tend to turn to baby powder on me, so there really was no hope for this scent. The jasmine actually isn't too awful here, very rich and almost honeyed with just a hint of sourness to it, but it's surrounded by baby powder. Too powdery and dry for me.

In the bottle, I get jasmine oudh and a little smoothing vanilla. The oudh is giving the jasmine an alluring, woody depth.

On my skin, this is a lovely soft jasmine, not a high-pitched one. It has a bit of greenness to my nose, which reminds me of Winter Jasmine SN. I also get a little bourbon vanilla and sandalwood while this is wet, instead of the oudh I smelled in the bottle, but they are soft. Mostly, this is soft jasmine. I hope the oudh returns when this dries.

Sadly, when this dries, it sort of bottoms out on me. I just get a ghostly-faint jasmine skin scent, scarcely there, and nothing else.

Vaporum is pretty, but it dissolves in vapors on me.

Wet: Jasmine smells like pee on me, and oudh smells like poo. Why I thought this would be a good thing to put on my skin, I will never know. The sad part is, I can smell the sandalwood and amber underneath, and they're lovely.

Dry: JASMINE! Super sweet and sickly floral. Though both the urine and feces smells have gone. Still not my jam, but fun to try!

I've only recently discovered fragrances with oudh. This one has so many notes in in that I love so I had high hopes.

It did not disappoint.

The final dry down of this is a nice blend of the jasmine, oudh and sandalwood. Its a light floral mixed with the earthy notes of the oudh and sandalwood.

I like jasmine, but I was beginning to think I liked it more in tea than as a scent, since it's been hard to find a good jasmine blend. This appears to be the jasmine I've been waiting for. The jasmine is initially dominant, but softer -- it starts as jasmine/amber, then jasmine/sandalwood, and now it's more amber/sandalwood. I can barely pick out the vanilla (and I'm new enough to this that oudh is a big ????). So lovely.

I'm not sure why my skin is doing this to me, but i'm getting laundry detergent. Gotta wash this off!! 😭