Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Phantom Queen

An epithet of the Morrigan, crow-winged Celtic goddess of war, strife and fertility. Adoration of this Goddess is expressed both through the ecstasy of battle lust and the ecstasy of sexual regeneration. Black orchid, apple blossom, meadowsweet, and rue over Irish moss, hawthorn and red clover.

Despite all the plant life and fruits in this blend instead of it being a more herbal and green blend it becomes a very crisp and white blend on me.

This reminds me of something my mom use to wear when I was younger and I just think its to lady-like for me to be able to pull off. The scent itself is very sophisticated smelling and I can see how the 'Queen' comes into the blend. And it manages to do all these things while carrying with it an apple scent.

In the bottle: Clean flowers and greenery. Hawthorn and clover, and both orchid and apple blossom distinct.

Wet: Clover and apple blossom strongest, but the other notes are still apparent. Slightly sweet. Strong throw.

Dry: The orchid has amped noticeably and the hawthorn and apple blossom have faded. Still mildly clean-aquatic, but not as 'fresh'.

Summary: Black orchid, clover, and hawthorn. A light floral with green notes. Fades extremely quickly; very poor lasting power.

This smells very clean and balsamy, with a strong current of floral. And something a bit off, like an herbal/dirt note. Maybe the moss? And something...that smells a bit like elmer's glue? Only good? :P I like it, it's nice. Not your typical herbal/floral combination.

This smells roughly the same on me as it does in the imp. What it smells like precisely, I couldn't say. I think the dominating note might be the apple blossom, but that usually goes all wrong on me and this smells surprisingly right, so... I just don't know.

Whatever it is that this smells like, it's very light and clean. It actually smells kind of how I'd imagined Embalming Fluid would smell. (From looking at the notes, I'm certain this bears no correlation to reality.) Very nice and refreshing.

Didn't last very long on me, which is sad, because I think it'd make a pretty nice summer scent overall.

This is such a fresh soft feminine scent, which is not at all what I expected from the name. I'm getting mostly blossoms, which I assume is the apple blossom and orchids. In a lot of ways this reminds me of Ladon, but without Dragon's Blood.

It's so pretty, but not a "me" scent.

Very like something from Waverly's.

Best,

Tzi

In the Imp (wet): This is a thick full-bodied scent with a dark sweetness that is juicy.

On facial cotton (dry): Juicy and sweet. And damp. And dark.

On me: My skin seems to morph Phantom Queen to have more bite and sharpness. But it is still wonderfully sweet and womanly, inviting and seductive. On the drydown, the juicy sweetness comes back and reminds me of those yummy pretty scented toys like My Little Ponies. Definitely a scent I could wear on a daily basis.

A frimp of this one arrived in my box today, and when I was going through all of them, this one was one of the standouts.

Generally speaking, I'm about as fond of florals as I am of ingrown toenails. But this one smells almost berry-y in the bottle, and *continues* to smell berry-y on my skin. The florals peek out their heads now and again, but until it's fully skin-warmed, I can barely smell flowers at all, really. Or not the flowers I'm used to.

However, when it dries, it disappears on me. Which is sad, because it's the first floral I actually wanted.

Stupid body chemistry.

Hrmf.

in the imp: the fruit sugar liquid in those wax 'straws' we ate as kids. seriously! :D

wet on skin: it has changed into a fruit/floral yankee candle :D

dry down: a less strong yankee candle. :P

in all: apple blossom and apple stuff always turns to poison on me. however, if they don't do that to YOU, you will likely adore this.

Floral...an interesting floral, though I don't know the notes well enough to pick them out.

It's a pretty scent, but, although I like it, I don't think it is me. I may try it again some night when I am dressing up to go out.

Bottle: Fruity and spicy? My nose is confused.

Wet: Juicy fruits with spicy herbs? Again, I have no idea.

Drydown: It smells nice, but it's just not for me. Maybe I'm not complex enough to pull it off.

2.5 outta 5

A floral with some backbone! I love this one, while femme it was strong without being cloying and sickly floral. The apple blossom really stood out, but the clover and rue mellowed it out nicely. The hint of moss must be what keeps it from being "girly" with all yum florals. I really really like this one, and must have a bottle for summer!

:P In the imp: a beautiful meadow, richly green and floral Wet: Sleek and mysterious orchid, sweet apple blossom, and fragrant red clover. Dry: The clover goes down a bit, with a bright applelike crispness and orchid headiness. Verdict: A fav!! This is a deep herbal floral on me. Not at all soft or weak. I can truly see how these flowers and herbs are sacred to a Goddess of War, despite how gentle they seem individually. Collectively, the scent is wild and fiercely Celtic. This isn't a harsh scent at all, just very "in your face". If you are not a floral person, this may be one you would like. Not frilly at all!!!

Edited by mineralfairy

Wet: orchid and moss, but in a nice way; pleasent

ADDED 1/29/10:

Alas, all florals go soapy on me...

wow i love Phantom Queen!

i'm reviewing right now during my spare time, which means at my boyfriend's house, where my imps and bottles are NOT. so i don't exactly remember what it smelled like it in the bottle.

but while wet, Phantom Queen smells like wet green and red clover.

dry, it smells like red clover. totally red clover. maybe a little bit of green and/or apples. on a couple of days it's gone a bit sugary but that's alright. but red clover is what i bought this sample for so i am very happy.

totally ordering this as a 5ml in my next order!!

A gorgeous blooming meadow, green and fragrant with meadowsweet and rue. Hawthorn and apple trees bloom in the distance and a gentle breeze carries their scent. Then sultry black orchid swoops in like a battle crow...it draws the senses...makes you a bit giddy with its presence. In the drydown I also get a phantom blackberry note. It isn't listed but it seems so pronounced.

I can't believe that I've never reviewed this. It was my first bottle purchase and I still love it. There is something just perfect about it...fresh and exotic at the same time.

On me, Phantom Queen is just apple blossom over orchid. This is really pretty, but I'm hoping age will bring out more notes.

In bottle/imp: Sweet, sweet, sweet! Apple blossom and something very syrupy and almost fruity.

Immediately on skin: Several notes in this are a mystery to me, but I’ll do my best! This smells fruity and floral with a thick sweetness running through the blend. The apple blossom gives this a nice freshness, but the black orchid is very sweet. The moss seems to be giving this a slightly greener feel and is trying to tone down the sweetness of the other notes.

After a little while: This blend has turned so sweet on me and the balance that was there at first has disappeared. The apple blossom is strong, but it’s now mixed with the orchid to create a syrupy sweet perfume-y apple note. There’s other notes there, but they are all on the sweeter side as well and the moss seems to have faded away completely.

Overall Impressions: This blend is not very well balanced on me… it’s very syrupy and thick with nothing to really balance it out after it dries. If you like really sweet blends, this may be for you. It’s mostly floral, but it does have some fruitiness from the apple blossom.

First of all I love the myths of Morrigan, so I had to try this perfume.

For 1-2 hours all I get is black orchid, then a close to skin green smell- with moss being the only note I can really detect. Sweet powdery nothing by hour 7. The grass/ clover field notes aren't prominent enough for me to detect.

I really want to love this perfume. I think a reformulation is in order. The field notes should be stronger. Also black orchid is lovely enough a scent but it's not me and not really sexy enough for a fertility/ warrior goddess. I think amber or/and a golden musk should take black orchid's place. Anybody with me?

In the vial: Smells like herby honey, only more tart and with apple.

Wet: Fleshy floral on top, sweet floral in the middle, and herbs beneath. Very complex.

Twenty minutes: Clover-honey, herbs, and moss. Smells like a meadow in July.

One hour: Even more honey-like, but it's lost a lot of its initial complexity.

Two and a half hours: Distant floral with some herby elements. The moss is more prominent now.

Four hours: Mostly done now except for one herbal note that's unfamiliar.

A very sweet orchid/floral. Honestly it's a little too sweet--it smells a bit of bug spray on me! This would make a great room spray, though.

In The Bottle

Apple and.....something else.

On Application

Spicy apple and soft wild flowers

Dry Down

Dusty wild flowers with a touch of apple in the background. Nice but fades quickly on me.

Rating (0-5)

In the imp: The orchid jumps right out, followed by the clover/moss/hawthorn greenery.

Wet on skin: Well-blended floral, with the orchid still prominent but not overpowering the other notes. Nothing is going shrill or soapy yet...whew!

Dry on skin: This scent is rich but stays more mellow than most florals do on me--I'm especially pleased that the orchid hasn't gone beserk. A previous review mentioned aquatic notes; as it dries and the green notes become more prominent I think I can detect a water note. It's almost like a field of flowers in a mossy meadow during a light rainstorm (a bit hyperbolic, I know, but the scent is pretty evocative for the first few hours).

This would be a great spring/summer scent. The green notes anchor and deepen the florals, keeping them from getting too sweet.

I got a sample of this instead of what I ordered.

First thought: Shampoo

Second thought: Very nice shampoo

It actually stayed on me overnight, and the longer I had it on the nicer it became =)

Fairly bland floral. Pleasant enough to make me skin test it twice but doesn’t morph on me, doesn’t suit my idea of ‘my personal scent’ and it has nothing really to set it apart from many of the other florals.

It lasts about an hour too. Boo. I thought I really liked this one for a while.

4/10 if only for the similarity to My Little Ponies that someone mentioned earlier. I was wondering what that was!