Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Shollin

Phantom Queen

An epithet of the Morrigan, crow-winged Celtic goddess of war, strife and fertility. Adoration of this Goddess is expressed both through the ecstasy of battle lust and the ecstasy of sexual regeneration. Black orchid, apple blossom, meadowsweet, and rue over Irish moss, hawthorn and red clover.

lots of orchid and moss...extremely green and herbal. not for me, off to swaps.

:P = how I feel about this scent.

I just received it today, and I am blown away. I didn't think anything could top Blood Countess, especially as I am much more partial to her mythology. But no, Phantom Queen did. I am in love.

In the bottle, I definitely smell dewy grass, and a light hint of apple... But on, man oh man! It got better. The grassiness fades, yet the apple remains strong. It is a succulent, yet very crisp and biting scent.

Above all, it is extremely feminine, but extremely powerful. Once I step outside, I imagine people will fawn at my feet. I would, if I could.

My nose loves you, BPAL.

In the bottle: num-num-num, I smell the apples and the moss and then a tang of something else. Made me just want to put it straight on.

On fresh: Dreamy and sweet, the smell you have when you lie on your back in a field and pretend the world doesn't exist anymore. Apple blossom, Meadowsweet and the hawthorn are the strongest scents.

This doesn't change at all wet or dry.

I love it!

Phantom Queen.

.First impression

Initally soft, very flowery (probably the orchid) out of the bottle; pretty, but not my tea. Stays very orchid-y on the skin.

.Laters

Flowers begin to fade, giving way to sweet undertones, suspiciously apple. <raises eyebrow>

Apple holds, crisp and fresh but not overpowering. Soft flowers still somewhere in the background, almost with a hint of lilac.

.Last

Not something I would name after the Morrigan.

Childlike (or possibly innocent), gentle, very feminine. Best for calm, rainy days.

Edited by aClearInferno

I really, really wanted to like this one.

In the bottle: undifferentiated florals

On the wrist: Department-store perfume. What a disappointment. The same sort of alcohol based smell. I think I’m allergic to it—my eyes itch.

After an hour: Still department-store perfume. Floral, but it smells like perfume.

Read reviews, washed and reapplied heavily to see if there was a difference.

On the wrist: Oh, now I can smell the heather. And something which I think is orchid. Guess you really have to apply this with a trowel

After an hour: Lovely, lovely heather. But faint.

After 2 hours: Faded to the point where I have to inhale my wrists to get a whiff. On the plus side, it’s maintained the heather-y, orchid-y smell and not faded to the talc smell the others tended to.

Perhaps on someone with less medicated chemistry this would last—the reviews alternate on whether it lasts for ever or fades quickly. A five of 10 coz whilst it’s almost unutterably lovely when slathered on I do mean slathered—I’d go through a 5 ml in no time. And applied subtly it just doesn’t work for me.

In the bottle: Citrus & floral.

Wet: Citrus & uh oh toilet rim block. A minute or two later still loo block. Going to stop sniffing my wrist now; give it time to warm up.

Later: Has faded utterly so it can only be smelled if my nose is against my wrist. Not much throw, no wear length on me. Pleasant floral up very close, later talcy. Not my thing, unfortunately, so a 4/10.

In the bottle and when its first applied, this is a very sweet and soft floral scent. Reminds me of honeysuckle in that soft womanly way. As it dries and settles on my skin I get more of the green scent.

Initially, this doesnt go the way of other green scents on me. It doesnt turn into that sickeningly cloying scent of soap. The orchid keeps it smoky and sweet. Makes me feel like I'm standing in a green meadow after a warm spring rain.

However, after about 30 minutes I start getting that god awful soapy smell. ~sigh~ And I so wanted to like you, Phantom Queen....

Edited by dydan

I really can't pick out any individual scents in this. It smells soft but has considerable throw on me - a tiny amount on the back of one hand is still wafting up to my nose an hour after I put it on. However, the scent really doesn't do anything for me. It smells cool and kind of empty. It's more of a standard perfume smell than most of the BPALs I've tested. Off to swaps I think.

In the imp: Berries and floral notes...

On the wrist: Eek! Does this have rose? *checks notes* No rose? That's so odd. This is reacting with my body chemistry as if it has rose in it. Which is never good.

Drydown: Apparently by body chemistry has invented a note here and it's not a happy marriage. I get solid heavy rose out of this. And I have no clue why.

first sniff: GREEN with floral notes underneath.

wet: GREEN. There is a sweet green - the clover - and a more bitter green - the rue. The floral notes are sweetening things, too.

dry: Mmmm...fresh green clover (still with some floral around the edges). This isn't a grassy green, just a fresh green. I've finally found a green scent that I want to take a bath in. :P

This reminds me of Queen Mab without the excessive sweetness -- Phantom Queen is all orchid, tempered with moss and green. A very light, lovely scent; I rarely like florals enough to get a bottle, but Phantom Queen is it. It's a light mutable floral with green undertones and hints of something wild and dark lurking underneath. Lasts a good while, and has a decent throw (but not too much) -- perfect for work and formal occasions.

For me this was another scent that called up imagery all its own. Thinking of what it's named for, in conjunction with the scent, brought up all kinds of interesting things in my head...

Imp: A bit of the sharpness from Yew Trees, but also a fresh, slightly grassy smell. Err. A bit alcohol...

On/wet: still a bit alcohol... more herby, though, and that off sort of crushed flower scent I get from wet Sundew.

Drydown: I can't say I really care too much for the effect of this on me. A sharply herbal, slightly astringent, airy kind of scent--once again, lovely, but it's hinting that it could turn bitter dependant on what my skin is up to that day... Damp holy herbs, the tiniest bit of apple, grass. Personally, it's too green for some reason, though I really could not say exactly why--I think part of it is that it does cling to the crushed plant smell that I didn't like in wet Sundew, instead of morphing into a fuller scent.

Impressions: Sharp, biting; a vicious defender with deep disregard for others and an unmatched protectiveness of her own- the guarding perched in a tree which is being strangled by mistletoe. Death as mother and fury all at once. The gale over a bare plain.

Upon sniffing I think it's pretty. I get what I think is the moss and some of the apple blossom, but I could be completely wrong here

A very very clean and crisp scent. I didn't really like how it was on me at first.

As it softens, something akin to jasmine in my nose totally dominates, which is odd, cause jasmine isn't one of the notes in this one... It smells like my Gram. Not like in a bad, smelling like old, but more like her perfume/lotion. Not really bad, and kind of comforting, but I want a scent that is more me and not overshadowed with thoughts of my grandma.

Although I think that it does say that she has great taste in scents :P

wet: strong orchid. the other notes all seem to be in the background.

wet: this is another floral that goes to the supermarket-isle-perfume scent that some of the others do.

the florals are overpowering and jarring, not sweet or pretty at all. :P

dry: the florals go a bit sweeter near the end but not soon enough and not sweet enough.

and there was never any hint of apple blossom. sigh.

A very clean floral, with just a hint of herbs. Did not make me think of the Morrigan, being a little too pleasant. Lasted a fairly long time, 6 hours or so.

Interesting that in the scent locket the various notes were easier to pick out, but it smelled even cleaner than on my skin.

I'm trying to be ruthless about what I keep, so this imp is destined for the swap box. Not that I don't like it, I do. I just don't like it enough.

PHANTOM QUEEN

This has a regal, sultry, sexual tone to it. It is dominated by lusty orchid, which is full and voluptuous and dusky. Beyond that I get a touch of herbs and a mixed floral undertone. This is complex and yet I can't put my finger on individual notes beyond the orchid. All I know is that it is very sensual, feminine, and strong.

In the vial: a grassy, dewy floral.

On me: the florals are dominating the herbs, but it's still very sweet and fresh. I think the apple blossom is the one that's coming out on top.

Dry: this is sweet without being sharp, with a very real and natural flowering-plant scent. There's none of the cloying soapiness or powder that I usually get from florals. Definitely a keeper.

This feels delicate and youthful. The green notes are beautiful. Not as pungent or sharp as grass, but it still has that similar fresh greenness. It feels clean without being soapy. The apple blossom in particular stands out. It's a little sweet. The orchid is lovely as well, and it doesn't compete with the other notes. It seems more in the background.

I have to add this to my bottle wishlist.

This is a crisp, fresh scent that is gentle at the same time.

I'd classify it as herbal, with some apple blossom dancing around in there, and a slight hint of creaminess.

It's very pretty, feminine, clean, and happy. A little bit like Singing Moon, but not as disctinctive.

I won't wear it, though, because it reminds me too much of other things I already have. It's not exactly generic-smelling....I'm not sure why I don't like this more. It just makes me shrug my shoulders, and reach out for something else to try.

3.4 out of 5

First I smell the apple blossom, and something a little powdery to my nose. This doesn't really work on me, though - it starts out pretty but my skin just leaves me with a powdery sort of mush.

I definitely liked this one. Apple blossom for sure, with a nice soft blanket keeping it upright. Rather feminine and yet sharp at the same time. I think I will have to test this one again.....

In Vial: floral perfume

Wet: I smell flowers and apples. Very sweet.

Drydown: Still very sweet, fruity floral. Smells a bit perfume-y still.

In the bottle: Floral-herbal;fresh, slightly sweet.

Wet: Similar. The orchid stands out the most, being quite heady. The apple blossom is lighter but present. The clover is also distinct - sweetly, gently green. There's also something soapy here (irish moss maybe?) and something almost spicy, like cinnamon.

Dry: Ooh, a really nice herbal note - thyme-y - has emerged, and the orchid is backing down. Sadly, so is the apple blossom. The clover remains, as does the unfortunate spice note.

Summary: Faintly sweet, herbal-floral. The apple blossom returns, the clover and hawthorn rule, and those soapy and spicy notes dissipate. The orchid is still a bit heady, but bearable. This reminds me a fair deal of Blue Moon '07.

Edited by fairnymph

Wet, this is very sweet and green. It reminds me of the sweet clover soap my grandmother used to use.

As it dries, it stays soapy clean and sweet, but there's a hint of something sour creeping up in the background--I think it may be the apple blossom, but it never comes out fully. It's soapy clean, a pretty green floral, but not for me.