Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
incircles

Looking for hippie but not too incense-y

The best example I can come up with would be the majority of Aveda scents. To me, they are complex and sophisticated, but decidedly earthy. One mention, though - I amp vanilla and some other sweeter notes like crazy. Back to the Aveda example, Shampure is about as sweet as I can go without being sickly. As you can imagine, shopping for scents in any of the popular brick-and-mortar stores is kind of a nightmare. Everything is so girly :violin:

I'm going to check out the pinned Lush dupe recs, too . I plan to sample 5-10 scents for my first order! :cheer:

Arcana might be up your alley. Smells like a new age shop, but not incensey. It's more clean and herbal, in the same sort of family as Aveda's lighter scents.

If you like Shampure, would recommend a blend that includes lavender, ylang ylang, rose, patchouli, and orange. A very simple classic combo, it smells like a spa. You may enjoy the Alex and Ani perfume, Scent 7.

Also, there is a thread here that talks about BPALs that Shampure lovers should try. Recommendations include Namaste, Nanshe, Twilight, and Veil.

I think I'll add all of these to my list. The descriptions sound awesome, and not too simplistic.

Thanks!

Also, sorry I missed that other Aveda thread in my search! I thought it was all about Love, but I can see now that there is some other discussion in there.

When I think hippie, I think warm incense, and those are the scents I love! But I'm guessing you like more herbal notes? Just looking at the other Shampure notes, you might try

Black Cat - it's slightly rosey and minty but there's a bunch of other stuff in there. Fresh, clean, and a tad soapy b/nice. It's also a voodoo blend, so it smells like something that could be homemade/ hippie.

The Apothacary - haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to be a warm, complex herbal blend

Bess - haven't tried, but is a complex herbal that shares several of Shampure's notes

Gaueko - heavier and incensey, but lavander gives it an herbal bite, and it has a hint of a caramelly warmth to it without being foodie. Definately complex. Reminds me of dead leaves and smoke. :-)

Paramatman - Orange blossom and light, wafty Indian incense. A bit on the sweet side, but not candyish or cloying

Destroying Angel - an unusual sent. Dry, white, earthiness to my nose. If you want "earthy" though, this has bpal's "loam" note without any pineyness.

Also, you might try some of the Dead Leaves blends, if you're willing to spring for full bottles. Some of the decanters might have some imps left over. It's kind of a dry herbally backing to whatever it's added to.

Hope that helps!