Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
RasAlgethi

Statistically Favorite Scent

My favorite notes seem to be these, however Mommy Fortuna includes two-penny magic and ploenetic which I' not sure have corollaries but

might include vetiver and incense. The incense in OLLA Eve are not delineated, and the only note I was able to discern with certainty in Chuparosa was rose, although honeysuckle might have a 2 if it's in there as well as Shanghai. I'm surprised by how little vetiver showed up, and that I didn't find more overlap. I looked at Eve, Ava, Edith Cushing, Dracul, Kumiho, Chuparosa, Goatweed Leafwing, Red-spotted Purple, Shanghai, Mommy Fortuna, Tombstone, Amsterdam, Pele, and Pumpkin 1 2014. I thought the crisp adjective might be significant so I counted that, too. I really didn't think I liked musk because red musk is so wrong on me. This is really cool.

Musk 4 (three white)

Sandalwood 3
Vanilla 3
Tea 3
Crisp 3
Honey 2
Rose 2
Mandarin 2
Ambrette Seed 2
Orange Blossom 2
Ginger 2
Cedar 2

Taken from my entire collection, because I couldn't bear to choose, here are my top 5.

1. Musks-19 (That was a helluva shock)

2. Vanilla and Amber-10 (Tie)

3. Sandalwood and Rose-9 (Another Tie)

4. Clove-6 (Another I didn't see coming)

5. Frankincense-5

I wonder what the ultimate combo of these would be?

So, if anyone is tempted to take this deeper down the rabbit hole... here's a screenshot of how I track this stuff. Every new scent, once tested, gets logged under each note it contains, in the column that best describes my experience with it. I've found it really fun to put together and see patterns develop, not to mention very useful when trying to remember which notes I've had good experiences with. This first segment looks fairly ambiguous, but farther down the list, there are notes it's very clear that I like (Benzoin!) and dislike (Jasmine!).

23750195460_d5e37daa7b_b.jpg

No one's said it yet but I will, that spreadsheet is bloody genius!

My breakdown of favourite scents:

Vanilla - 8

Musk - 5

Soft leather - 5

Snake oil - 4

Sage - 4

Patchouli - 4

Honey - 3

Balsam - 3

Tobacco - 3

Clove - 3

Victorian/Lavender Fougere - 3

Red/Spanish/Oakmoss - 3

Resins - 3

Woodstove/distant fire - 2

Sandalwood - 2

Vetiver - 2

Cream - 2

Allspice - 2

Nutmeg - 2

Cinnamon - 2

Orange - 2

I'm not in love with all of the bottles I have, and I also don't have a lot of imps I'd consider favorites at the moment, but there were a few commonalities. Hopefully there will be some new faves in my next order so I can update it more.

White Musk 4
Gardenia 2
Ginger 2

If I include both unspecified tea and Earl grey under one, that's also 2. There were about 25 other unique notes. Anyway, surprise, surprise. :rolleyes2: I love all three of these so much, lol.