Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

The joy of wanton mischief: caramelized tobacco and slowly falling snow muffling the scent of a distant fire.

This is fresh out of the mail, because I couldn't wait. I've never tried a scent like this before, and didn't know what to expect. I couldn't pass up caramelized tobacco though.

In the bottle, this is a really cold scent. The Lab's snow note is really strong.

Wet on my skin, the smoke note blooms first, but then the caramelized tobacco follows quickly. It's sweetly smoky, not at all bitter. Now I get the snow note more in the throw than nose to skin.

Dry this is similar to wet, not much of a morpher on me, keeping in mind that it's right out of the mail.

This is difficult to describe, since it's not my usual type of scent and I don't have much of a point of reference. Quite gender neutral. It's really beautiful, but not at all in a feminine way. It's not beautiful the way that flowers are beautiful. It's beautiful in the way that a winter's night is beautiful, in the way that a roaring fire is beautiful. It's fierce yet peaceful. I'm quite enjoying the juxtaposition of the snow note against the fire/smoke notes. The hint of sweetness is perfect. I am so happy I ventured out of my comfort zone and purchased this. It will hold a special place in my collection.

Fresh from the mailbox, hurray!

In the bottle: Light lemony polish. Not much depth.

Wet: Hello snow note! This snow note reminds me of A Lady Tall and White - it's very bright and lemony.

Dry down: The snow note is still dominant but I'm starting to get some smoke as well.

Dry: Rich smokiness overtopped by snow. The center of this fragrance is definitely the tobacco but it's not forceful and it's always hanging under the high snow note, which has backed off more in dry down. It's almost cologne-like but not really masculine.

I was expecting a more tobacco-forward blend. The tobacco is adding key depth/richness but it's more refined than bold.

Low to medium throw.

Verdict: I like the scent and think it's perfect for autumn. It's like A Lady Tall and White's mellow sibling.

Edited to add: Now that the bottle has had time to rest, I must update this review to say that Mat Night has settled into the most beautiful tobacco blend ever. It's rich, caramelly (but not heavy) tobacco capped with a hint of snow. Simply gorgeous.

Edited by brineydeep

Slushy snow, tobacco, and smoke. This one toggles between a cold and a warm blend. Chewy tobacco and slushy snow. Good throw, good wear length.

Ugh, part of me really likes this.

This is wonderful!

It's caramels over sharp, but light snow. Very straightforward. Not getting much tobacco, which is fine by me.

It's rather faint on my skin with not much throw, but I like it.

Was so excited to swap for this, straight out of the mail I get cold wet and snowy. I love this, it smells like winter in a forest! This is the exact same scent as my Joutunhimer candle, which I love. The tobacco note is light right now but I assume it will make its appearance shortly.

Well, now I know: The Lab's "caramelized" or French Tobacco note does not work with me. Smoke and chewy tobacco in the bottle. Goes on as smoke and snow. The smoke briefly overpowers everything, but then dries to burned tobacco. The burned note dissipates as the snow returns, leaving a blend of snow and deep caramelized or already smoked tobacco.

I already have like five bottles with the Lab's snow note, and the deep tobacco is not my thing. I love the high sweet tobacco of Sherlock Holmes, but this ain't it. Very sad, because I was so looking forward to this. If you are into the heavy, chewy tobacco or French Tobacco in any way, this is your jam.

I had a wonderful swap with Soupy Twist for Mat Night! It was a blind swap, but based on the notes and reviews I was fairly sure I would like it, and I do!

Out of the gate, it's a strong pine and snow note. It's pretty intimidating when wet, but dries down into a gorgeous scent on me. The snow note here smells a lot like the one in Snow White, but the pine and tobacco must be reining it in from plastic-land, because I definitely have that problem with Snow White and not here. The tobacco is sweet, chewy, and rich (my kind of tobacco) and I actually wish it stood out more. The pine and snow remain strongest in dry down, and overall make the scent unisex yet fairly sweet.

This starts off smelling of cedar on me, before morphing into warm, earthy tobacco (I assume that’s the carmelization). The cedar is still there, but not overpoweringly so. I feel like I should be in a log cabin in the middle of no where, a fireplace going, listening to the wind blowing outside. This is perfect for a cold, dark night to me!

Wow, this is gorgeous and fascinating, like art on the skin almost. When I first applied it I got a strong piney note, sort of like a Christmas tree forest in the cold air. A little under an hour in and this delicious strong burnt smoke arose and it mixed with the pine. It’s soooo good. Many hours later and it’s faded to a slightly smoky remnant, with an incense-y undertone. I love it. I didn’t expect to either because in the bottle it smells like strong pine mostly and that can go either way on me. 

A night of cold embrace and comforts. 

Wet: Smoky tobacco and faint fire with inviting flames. It’s striking at first and yet familiar. There’s a cool stillness in this. Like the scent is trying to be suppressed or muted, which is a result of the cold element in this. The throw I would say is medium. 

Dry: The coolness fades the closer I get to the fire. The tobacco gains a certain sweet warmth to it. There is a nice smoky scent that comes into the warmed air that mingles well with the sweet tobacco. The throw remains medium and continues to warm the longer it wears. 

Final thoughts: This scent confirms that tobacco is something my skin loves. It want to amp that more than the other scents and this is in the best way possible. This isn’t a hard scent at all. It starts off cool and warms up well. Brings a feeling of being outside in a good autumn night where the glowing call of a distant fire and a sweet rolled cigarillo is given to bring us more comforts. 

This is a scent that is so worthwhile on many levels. I would like to wear this on any fall day and during some winter nights.