Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Smaragdina

The Waltz

So swift, so delicate, so smooth: champagne musk, ambergris accord, white rose, rosewood, and vanilla amber.

This is so pretty. Even if they have very different notes, this reminds me a bit of The Waltz of the Flowers (fitting too right?), perhaps because it is a gentle floral with musk/vanilla, even if like I said the types of flowers, musk and vanilla are different. It is very girly to me, sweet and wonderful. In the end, it might not work for me because sadly rose is "sharp" on me, but all the Crimson Peaks I have tried so far are so beautiful! Even the ones that not work for me. And I can see how The Waltz will have a lot of fans.

I don't think I've ever smelled anything from the Lab that smelled so much like "perfume" before. But, as we've come to expect from the Lab, its done better than half the mainstream perfumes out there.

Its gorgeous, on me a blooming pink or white rose, touched by vanilla and amber. I don't exactly smell any of the champagne musk, but its also infused with a lightness to it, which I feel may be the influence of the bubbly.

Its sweet, feminine, and delicate, but with surprising stay to it. I love it. Perfect for any day that one wants to feel particularly ladylike and lovely.

I love how sweet and delicate this scent is. It evokes exactly that scene from the movie and smells like rose jam from Lush. This won't be in high rotation, but more of a mood-match fragrance for me. Actually, whenever Tom Hiddleston wants to dance? This is what I'm wearing.

Very perfumey, in an old-timey, classic way. I think floral-amber blends always read as old-timey to me. As far as those go, this is very pretty and wearable, but still too powdery for me to want a full bottle.

In the bottle: I’m picking up the rose and champagne very clearly, and then the “everything else” but am unable to pick apart what the “everything else” is

Wet: If roses were white, fluffy kittens, that’s what this scent is to me. Playful, white, fluffy, a bit musky but it comes and goes so quickly. SOMETHING about it makes it smell playful, but not in that “rowr” or teasing kind of way. Maybe that’s the bounce of the waltz, then. Only, on my skin, it’s more of a chaotic than a graceful thing. Literally a fluff of white kittens rampaging around. At this stage, it's not something I could see myself wearing anywhere. Definitely lovely, but requires a ballgown and Tom Hiddleston or I have no use for it.

Dry: I find it to be absolutely glorious. The sticky champagne scent fades into the background over time and everything's blended out to a delicate, mellow white musk and something that smells a touch like warm candle wax creeping around the edges. It smells romantic, which isn't typically my thing, but I just want to roll around in this.

Edited by passingthrough

Very soft vanilla rose. Teeters on the verge of being too powdery (as rose and amber are apt to do on my skin). Very pretty and feminine, but better suited for a person who can wear rose.

The white rose is very stunning in bottle, though.

I was hoping for champagne, vanilla, and amber, and got mostly soapy rose + baby powder.

In the imp, this smells like a much better balance of notes, although the rose is still prominent. There's a little fizzy crispness from the champagne musk and some soft sweet amber in the background.

My skin has a tendency to amp rose scents, but white rose has been okay in the past, so I had hopes that were dashed. No champagne musk, no vanilla amber... just baby powder rose.

This was very beautiful, and very truly smooth! I get a lot of the white rose, vanilla amber, and champagne musk but all of the elements are there. It is incredibly well blended. The champagne musk doesn't seem fizzy to me but buoyant. I love this but it has low throw, so I don't know if I need a bottle. But it my favorite of the CPs I've tried thus far.

ETA: after further wear I can say that the throw is stronger than I first observed, it's just that the blend is so smooth and subtle.

Edited by roseus

Thoughts before testing: This is a note list of all my favorite things :D I had to try it and have very high hopes for this one.

Wet: Fizzy roses!! It tickles my nose and is just so pretty.

Dry down: The rose is soft and sweet and the small hint of amber is beautiful. It's reminding me a lot of a lighter, fizzier Love Lay Upon Her Eyes.

Dry: The rose takes over. Rose, long time one of my most favorite notes, has been giving me problems lately. I'm not sure if it's a hormonal/aging issue or what, but it's all I can smell.

Final thoughts: This is really lovely, but I'm not sure how much wear it'll get from me. I was hoping for more than just a single note rose (which I totally blame my skin for), so this one might have to go to the swaps.

Verdict: I'll keep this one around for a little while in the hopes that the rose or my skin chemistry will smooth out and let this blend shine.

At first, it smells like ambergris and musk, with no fizz or champagne note, of which I'm kind of glad. Soon after drydown, the rose peeks out, and it's a soft gentle rose without soapiness. Again, good for me. The overall scent is so pretty and feminine. There is a hint of vanilla but the scent is so well-blended that after 30 minutes I just get a lovely feminine perfume. This is not something that I would wear often enough to get a bottle, but I will reserve my decant for special occasions. I could see this as a very perfect scent to wear to a wedding and it would definitely be a great scent for a bride to choose on her wedding day!

When I first received The Waltz from the lab, it translated to Turkish delight on my skin. A few months later, it's smoothed out a little, and I'm getting soft rose, sweet vanilla, and a very gentle musk. It's delicate, feminine, and just a tiny bit gourmand. The rose note here is really wonderful. I typically can't do big, bold roses (they tends to go sour on me), but I love a soft rose, and this is one of the best I've tried.

It's a very beautiful, well blended, smooth perfume. Out of all the Crimson Peaks I've tried so far this is the most elegant. I get rose first, but as it dries out it becomes more rounded and musky with the sweetness of the vanilla. I absolutely love it and I'm glad I got a blind bottle of this.

I have a ball coming up this summer and while I do not have a dress yet, I've already decided this will be my chosen scent.

I adore this. On me, the ambergris is front and center (which is perfect, as Beth's ambergris accord is one of my favorite notes.) I detect the white rose, and I'm very happy that the vanilla amber is not turning too sweet on me. I get zero "fizzy" quality, just a light muskiness.

Oftentimes I try these types of scent and they just go sickly sweet - I'm thinking of Ava, and Edith, and Butterflies Flowers & Jewels. This one is a perfect blend for me: sweet, yes, but not cloyingly so, and ambergris-dominant rather than vanilla-heavy.

Exquisite, classic, and very pretty. It also evokes the scene in the film it is named for very successfully.

I need a couple of bottles of this one.

I was hoping this would be a little more crystalline on me, but like all of the CPs I have tried, it is a beautiful, beautiful scent. A bit more perfumy than I like. I have other CPs I love more, but I still can't get over how beautiful and evocative each CP is.

All of the crimson peak ones are top-notch! This one is no exception.

A fizzy, warm floral. Lots of golden champagne fizz. Everytime I turn around with this on I get a whiff of a different note (/or a couple of/) yet distinctively "the waltz".

Classy deliciousness!

Edited by Cali

In the imp: I can't pick out the notes. It smells creamy and round.

Wet: A blast of musk and ambergris, well-blended - lightly animalistic and warm. Then the rose comes out, fresh and sweet.

Dry: The rose comes more proeminent as this wears, but it's a soft, fresh, light rose that behaves well on my skin. Grounded by musk and amber.

Throw: light.

I agree with the others that this scent smells a lot more like a classical perfume than your average BPAL (think Chloe - that kind of perfume). I don't love it but I like it - it has a timeless, elegant feel to it. It's one of the few rose scents that I have tried from BPAL that I can actually wear without it turning to toilet freshener.

Edited by Kmye

A true lady's rose perfume, expertly blended. Very sweet and warm thanks to the vanilla and amber. And I always appreciate ambergris. I'm not picking up any champagne fizz, though. I took a break from rose scents for awhile but this one's brought me back into the fold.

I just realized I never did review this one, shame on me.

The Waltz is undeniably beautiful and undeniably feminine. A blast of extremely subtle champagne roses with a generous dollop of vanilla amber. I detect no ambergris and that's quite alright. I usually tend to amp champagne, not here and I am most grateful. I wear this when I want to feel extremely elegant but not super noticed. It's stunning and I really love it.

This is the full-sized perfume I got in my last BPAL order; the rest was imps and frimps, including my favorite so far (Dorian). This is a perfume I've been really interested in, both from its description and because the number of bottles left is pretty low.

In Bottle: This smells very perfume-y to me in the bottle. I feel like I'm getting the champagne musk, maybe the ambergris accord?

Wet on Skin: Kind of the same, but with more rose. Maybe getting the rosewood in there as well. I feel like I can smell the notes shifting around, though I think I may also be amping up the rose note in this. The champagne musk (I think that's what's doing this) tickles my nose a bit. The champagne and rose genuinely seem to alternate in which note is the strongest, though I will say that I feel like I'm getting a tad more vanilla on my left wrist than my right. I can smell the throw on this one more keenly than some of the other perfumes I've tested.

Approx. 2 Hours Later: Still going on strong. I'm getting a tad more vanilla, I think. Pretty much all of the notes seem at the same level. It took until this very moment for that to happen and I think it smells a tad bit soapy, but still perfume-y.

------

The notes are pretty darn interesting in there, but I'm not a huge fan of them evening out the way they do at the end of the review period.

An opinion I asked for closer to the hour mark was that this stuff is really strong, but I'll admit that was a wrist check and you're probably not usually going to hold up a wrist and be like "Hey. Smell this."

It was worth trying, I think, but Dorian is still definitely the scent that's best caught my interest at this point. Maybe I'll have more luck with Between Your Heart and Mine when it comes to the Crimson Peak scents (someone bought a bottle for me for Christmas, meaning it's going to be a while yet until I can review it).

Wow, this is perfectly balanced and it has three notes that I usually steer clear from: Ambergris, champagne, and rose. It is amazing. Just amazingly beautifully blended, and what I get is an effervescent rose with wood and vanilla and a touch of ambergris and it's just heavenly. Seriously - top 10 material right here. I'm super glad I took a chance on this one, and I'm definitely going to need a backup bottle eventually.

♔ The Waltz

In the Bottle: Vanilla champagne and pale rose petals

Wet: The Waltz smells like a very smooth vanillic rose champagne. The amber seems to glisten into the champagne, with rose petal adding accents of flavour throughout the body of the scent. It’s not a very canon romantically feminine scent yet, but it is very refined and elegant- inviting and showcasing itself as one. The champagne note makes me think there’s some sort of citrus to help represent the effervescence of freshly popped champagne bubbles and fizz.

Drydown: I don’t get much of the rosewood until the dry down stage, it is a very faint, delicate rose touched wood. An although it's not very potent, it does manage to ground the rest of the notes in place so that there is more depth beyond a shallow representation of simple champagne and pink rose. After settling, the drydown is glorious. It becomes a soft, champagne and pink rose- of which has now been reduced to a mild, effervescent fizz. I would liken it to a sparkling rose petal infused wine, with a beautiful creamy vanillic profile. It’s an utterly quintessential fragrance for an encounter leading to the first date.

TL;DR: Creamy, sparkling rose petal wine

Edited by celestia

It's a nice perfume. I sense the same rose as in Parlement of Foules. I associate this as white- though I'm not sure PoF specifies.

It's a very soft perfumey blend of light golden champagne, and delicate rose. I get the vanilla'd amber- but it's merely there to round out the scent, and throughout the wear the vanilla and rose blend together. The rosewood lies at the bottom of this scent, and between it and ambergris I get a slight a slight beach wood type of wet saltiness.

Feminine, perfumey. Slightly powdery.

Edited by Bassmastadroog